Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There needs to be the requirement that if a contestant talks about a pet, they most show a picture of the pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x ampersand oh
Apr 20, 2006

no comment
you can see both her tattoo and her kitty in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Jeopardamy/status/1468815567272353792

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Hostile hostel isn’t a homophone in my dialect

I still got it because I know how other(wrong) people say it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
ok

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
it's funny that we're all so superchamp-fatigued over the last 2-3 years that we're just like "eh, wow, amy crushed it again. maybe tomorrow will be more interesting."

remember how anybody winning more than five (or god forbid, ten) used to be front page news lol

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Honestly wish they'd just cap (or re-cap?) wins at this point. The "oh 4k again?! Haha" jokes are even getting stale.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

yeah we'd be in a very different world today if there was still a limit. i mean, i think it would be good for competition tbh, it sucks to play against a 15-day champion or whatever (fuckin trust me lmao) but the viewing audience probably likes superchamps more than seeing people capped at 5

also it means they do ToC less often which also sucks because i love toc

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What I find interesting is that in all likelihood something has fundamentally changed in the way the show is played since Alex died. I mean, maybe not. Maybe it’s a coincidence. But we’ve had two bona-fire super champs and at least three other people who in any other year would be among the top players in a year.

Is there something that has fundamentally changed in the presentation of the show that makes it more likely that one person with a good base of knowledge can completely crush this show, or is it a total coincidence that two of the best people to ever play this game ended up on the show within weeks of each other?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When covid began, they started just having contestants within driving distance, but they kept doing tests. It may be that they reopened it to more distant contestants, and the stronger ones would normally have been scattered over the last two years.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
With covid, the player pool has been limited. So anyone with skill that gets in is just going to mop the floor with players who would have normally been rejected.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

What I find interesting is that in all likelihood something has fundamentally changed in the way the show is played since Alex died. I mean, maybe not. Maybe it’s a coincidence. But we’ve had two bona-fire super champs and at least three other people who in any other year would be among the top players in a year.

Is there something that has fundamentally changed in the presentation of the show that makes it more likely that one person with a good base of knowledge can completely crush this show, or is it a total coincidence that two of the best people to ever play this game ended up on the show within weeks of each other?

Other person is right, lower pool of players, and also the writing has gone to poo poo.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The pool player hasn't been limited for like a year now, though. I mean yeah it was super noticeable at the beginning of Covid, but that hasn't been the case since before Alex died. Matt Amodio is a Yale student from Ohio.

I do agree that the writing going to poo poo will automatically advantage naturally stronger trivia players, but has it single-handedly had that much of an impact?

HookShot fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 28, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

they might have reduced practice time or something (and it was already super low pre-covid), that could definitely play to a champion's advantage

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

banned from Starbucks posted:

Honestly wish they'd just cap (or re-cap?) wins at this point. The "oh 4k again?! Haha" jokes are even getting stale.

This is my sentiment as well. Use the tournaments as the +5 events.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Removing the cap is the best change Jeopardy ever made though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Amy’s very smart and likable but right now she’s in that valley of champions for me where she’s won so many that I want some new blood but then if she keeps winning and threatens Matt’s streak I’ll be right back on board

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Amy rules and I hope she plays forever

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

christmas boots posted:

Amy’s very smart and likable but right now she’s in that valley of champions for me where she’s won so many that I want some new blood but then if she keeps winning and threatens Matt’s streak I’ll be right back on board

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk

:same:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Poque posted:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Amy got the GBV clue correct so she can stay on forever at this point.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Amy rules but I want to see her mop up against other champions instead of Joe off the street

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Goober Peas posted:

Amy rules but I want to see her mop up against other champions instead of Joe off the street

I'm definitely looking forward to her and Matt facing off.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Iron Crowned posted:

This.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Poque posted:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

It’s going to be SO GOOD

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
"I think Amy knows what she did."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Poque posted:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Amy's the first player where I'd be happy to see her break Ken's record.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol @ the guy going all-in on a Daily Double and whiffing on "solar wind"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPColin posted:

lol @ the guy going all-in on a Daily Double and whiffing on "solar wind"

Still more respectable than the woman who was losing something like 13k to 2500 against a 20 day champ and bet 1000 on her daily double. :geno:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
That was a close one.

Thankfully, someone uploaded the ep to YT. My local station decided to spend 30 minutes on about five minutes of bad weather reporting.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i had a dream that amy lost :ohdear: very glad it was not a prophecy

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Don't worry. This thread will unintentionally spoil it when there are at least a dozen new comments within half a day. Same for any other websites especially if they say no spoilers which by its nature means something important happened.

More likely though, someone will just blab about it for clickbait and so it goes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Arthur Chu is having an absolutely embarrassing meltdown on Twitter where he’s wishing for the Chinese People’s Liberation Army to take over the US and force us into Covid lockdown.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

what is "a broken clock", alex?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Godspeed, China

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL he would be the guy up and tweeting at almost 2am on New Year's.

It's only 10:30 here so it's still acceptable for me to shitpost.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Arthur Chu is having an absolutely embarrassing meltdown on Twitter where he’s wishing for the Chinese People’s Liberation Army to take over the US and force us into Covid lockdown.

I mean, that's about what it's gonna take at this point-- god knows our government is doing gently caress all

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Famous pair. Two people from a band that was famously four people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Wirh the past year+ of the superchamps, I think it's safe to say that he can and should be ignored.