Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

net work error posted:

That's the argument Matt presents and maybe that would have happened in the alt timeline but probably not.
Yeah I don’t think we can assume that. There have been crackdowns on leftist before the USSR and also afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If there was no USSR, America would have just become like the America in Wolfenstein II The New Colossus

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Blasmeister posted:

Most of the thinking was that it only managing to happen in one country then and there ended the internationalist aspect of things for everyone

what if it ends up being bulgaria or belgium or another smaller state with the hypothetical revolution in like 1925 and it's immediately crushed? or just never kicks off at all? i don't think the bolsheviks failing would have done much to encourage internationalism, especially in the open environment of the USSR to spread literature in the 20s. without a successful example to look to, would mao have won the civil war?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Like maybe this is antimaterialist of me but it always seems to me that trying to examine counterfactuals is a massive waste of time, potentially more an exercise of projecting your prejudices onto events rather than trying to learn from events

it’s tricky because obviously I think the idea of historical watersheds or hingepoints is potentially valid and useful but I suppose that implies being able to accurately conceive of counterfactuals. I dunno man this stuff is above my paygrade, history is too hard

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Like maybe this is antimaterialist of me but it always seems to me that trying to examine counterfactuals is a massive waste of time, potentially more an exercise of projecting your prejudices onto events rather than trying to learn from events

it's more just fun spitballing than anything, and that's how it should be treated.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

it's more just fun spitballing than anything, and that's how it should be treated.

Yeah I was just about to post this. It's just for fun OP!

As far as it being a "useful exercise", if I remember correctly they said in the first ep of the series that it's good for learning about what actually mattered at certain points in history. That makes looking back in time more useful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo relationship advice podcast with Stav :siren:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Oh poo poo relationship advice podcast with Stav :siren:
I'm listening to the Try Hard 2020 Christmas special that was behind the paywall until recently and when he does the cop speech of 'I....I didn't kill that kid when I had the chance' I cracked up pretty hard

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm dying. Why isn't THIS a spinoff podcast who gives a gently caress about U.S. history or garbage TV shows?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm listening to the Try Hard 2020 Christmas special that was behind the paywall until recently and when he does the cop speech of 'I....I didn't kill that kid when I had the chance' I cracked up pretty hard

when stav effortlessly rolls in a promo code cumtown bluechew ad read :discourse:

sexpig by night posted:

if it's for fun they shouldn't have bessner on

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Jackie D posted:

Especially hope this happens since he set up a gofundme to pay for Carter's legal fees

Yeah about that:

https://twitter.com/seanrmoorhead/status/1475988376096415749?s=21

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

crepeface posted:

when stav effortlessly rolls in a promo code cumtown bluechew ad read :discourse:

The code still works too!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

net work error posted:

The code still works too!

ofc it does, they're still sponsored by them!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cached Money posted:

I got "another huge L for article heads" stuck in my head prodromal phrenia style, I think Felix said it on a recent episode and it and the concept of "articles" are very funny to me
What's funny is Felix, of all people, saying there's an age cap on caring about dumb stuff for teenagers

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

New episode is an all time great.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I'm dying. Why isn't THIS a spinoff podcast who gives a gently caress about U.S. history or garbage TV shows?

it is, this was how I heard about cumtown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MlgVHKzE4k

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That poor husband with the worst sex, drat.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Let's go Brenda!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://abcnews.go.com/US/jury-reaches-verdict-trial-jeffrey-epstein-associate-ghislaine/story?id=81863373

https://i.imgur.com/PdN8lJN.mp4

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 29, 2021

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1476313667268456461?s=20

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What was the not guilty?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Heath posted:

What was the not guilty?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What was the point of contention on it I wonder? Couldn't prove she was underage?

Edit: that contradicts count 4 I guess. Probably something like "definition of 'enticement'" or something.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I believe it was "enticement" that the jury asked for a precise definition of.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

from last night's trueanon it sounded like they wanted to know if it was enticement if she only helped the victim *leave* new mexico

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I wonder why they found count 2 to be not guilty. One of those other counts(I think count 6) was the sketchy and dangerous charge.

The charge I'm thinking of was the charge that was only a federal crime because even though the actions all took place in one state, the massage table was bought from another state...so interstate commerce.

By that logic, if you commit a local crime in a shirt that was not manufactured and purchased in your state, then you have committed a federal crime.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 29, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So what you're telling me is that the strategy of Maxwell's attorneys blaming the underage (at the time) victims didn't work?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hahahaa burn in hell bitch

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Betting pool on how long until Ghislaine snaps her own neck with a flimsy bedsheet while the cameras are off and the guards are asleep

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Limited hangout, domestic Gladio, attenuated, metabolized, and so on

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

cohsae posted:

Betting pool on how long until Ghislaine snaps her own neck with a flimsy bedsheet while the cameras are off and the guards are asleep

If they were going to kill her they would have done it before she was arrested.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

WrightOfWay posted:

If they were going to kill her they would have done it before she was arrested.

Yeah, or at least before the trial, when there was a chance she’d rat on people for a plea deal. Or is my dumb brain missing something?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

Yeah, or at least before the trial, when there was a chance she’d rat on people for a plea deal. Or is my dumb brain missing something?

she was never going to rat. this was her destiny and she always knew it. some things are deeper than child sex trafficking charges, friend

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1476506386964131840

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not to go full spook but given Maxwell’s father, she probably has a Dead Man’s Switch failsafe that would really hurt someone important if she were murdered. You don’t get to be the actual mastermind of a criminal child trafficking empire without knowing how to cover your own rear end

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

the lols are eternal

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

Not to go full spook but given Maxwell’s father, she probably has a Dead Man’s Switch failsafe that would really hurt someone important if she were murdered. You don’t get to be the actual mastermind of a criminal child trafficking empire without knowing how to cover your own rear end

It'll fire right after Epsteins does.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is not a doubt in my mind that Epstein had Ghislaine set one up but she took all he gave her and used it for her own Dead Drop instead of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s omicron