Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

Just found this https://projectzomboid.com/blog/news/2013/11/returning-to-pz/. Sent them an email with the Desura receipt so fingers crossed.

It worked, they sent me a steam code. :toot:
Honestly didn't expect it, I thought all the desura stuff was dead and gone and everyone had washed their hands of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going through the recommendations and taking a look, got some in the wishlist already.

Nuclear Throne was in the Itch BLM bundle so you might have it already

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I finished Life is Strange and went back to read all the spoilerchat about the ending from many pages ago, thank you all for the insightful posts!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Walh Hara posted:

You're overthinking it. It's not because a NPC is a reference to some historical or mythical figure that the devs support or like this figure.

If a game contains a lamed general called Timur then I wouldn't assume that the devs are in favor of the genocide of 5% of the world population, I'd assume they simply liked putting references in their game.

zwarte piet is explicity a racist caricature that activists have been fighting for years to get out of the public area here in the netherlands. Not gonna link more crap, but if you know about the existence of zwarte piet and you decide to put a black person in your game and name him after it, you're being racist as gently caress or competely ignorant to the point of explicity not reading a single article about zwarte piet in the past -decade-, and believe me, that's a difficult thing to ignore.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samopsa posted:

decide to put a black person in your game and name him after it

Not even, they seemingly went for full blown blackface. :yikes:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

e: whoa look who's at the club!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 30, 2021

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
I mentioned my initial impressions earlier, but I want to come back and give a solid recommendation to Call of the Sea

My first take was being annoyed that the game was actually about cosmic horror, but the real thing turns out to be even more unexpected: it's like the opposite of cosmic horror. Cosmic delight, maybe? It's extremely obvious from very early on that the protagonist is the equivalent of the Innsmouth residents, bearing a family curse to either turn into a fish person or die, but... she actually really likes being a fish person! She feels so much more at peace in the strange, non-Euclidean underwater city than she ever did in Englewood! Anyway I found that aspect to be genuinely interesting, in the end, and was disappointed that the story ending that has you embrace your fish-nature made it sound dark and creepy in a way that betrayed the mood the game had built up to that point. Seriously, though, it's a delight seeing a character move through all the stock Lovecraftian tropey settings and just go "ahhh, isn't this nice?" as she dips back into the mysterious black ichor instead of the same-old same-old gibbering madness.

But the real reason I want to recommend the game is its approach to puzzles. Unlike many adventure puzzle games where you're either trying to make literally any sense of a completely opaque set of machines and/or inventory items, or others where the "puzzles" are really just about finding the One Important Clue That Solves the Puzzle in some hidden spot on the map, Call of the Sea does this really cool thing where it "freely" gives you absolutely all the information you need -- all the ancient symbols are translated for you in the notes of the expedition whose trail you're following, for instance -- but it tells you nothing about what to do with that information. So the puzzles are like, I understand exactly how this machine works and what each button represents, but now I have to actually-think-as-the-player about what my goal in manipulating it is.

In that way it's much closer to, like, puzzle-hunt-style puzzles than the vast majority of games I've played, and I found it really refreshing. Nothing was so difficult that I actually got stuck on it, but every single puzzle made me stop and review my notes and just think for a minute or two, and I absolutely loved it.

(also, again, the game is gorgeous)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
AC Odyssey apparently has new free content.

Too bad it's 110gb, ugh.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I have an animal management game itch and I plan on getting Planet Zoo. Is it any good? It's either that or Jurassic World Evolution 2, but I've heard the latter is lackluster so far.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I have an animal management game itch and I plan on getting Planet Zoo. Is it any good? It's either that or Jurassic World Evolution 2, but I've heard the latter is lackluster so far.

It's pretty good, and has much more of a management side than Planet Coaster did. The game is very much "here's 10,000 parts, build whatever" like Planet Coaster was though. That turns some people off. You can get prebuilt enclosures and full parks on the workshop if you're fine dealing with that, but there is not much prebuilt stuff in the base game other than the most basic bland setpieces.

Best if you have an itch for management as well as Lego'ing a park from scratch. If you were just to use pre-made parks, the management side of things is good but probably not enough on it's own for extended gameplay.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i miss corn in the bibles random game posts

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
AC Odyssey seems like a pretty cool Witcher 3/Shadow of War ripoff. But man is it STUPID heavy on hardware requirements.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I wanted to see if I could store a runnable copy of Rift Wizard on a USB key since it seems perfect for dull work days, but my searches all keep pointing me to heap of :warez: sites... Is there a way to run it without Steam at all?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tafferling posted:

I wanted to see if I could store a runnable copy of Rift Wizard on a USB key since it seems perfect for dull work days, but my searches all keep pointing me to heap of :warez: sites... Is there a way to run it without Steam at all?

Just try it. Not all games on Steam have Steam DRM.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

TOOT BOOT posted:

Just try it. Not all games on Steam have Steam DRM.

If it's anything like ours, be sure to test on a PC without Steam. Our games lack Steam DRM measures, but will actually prevent a proper launch if Steam is physically present on the computer (and Steam itself says no, i.e if you try launching a game you don't have ownership permissions for), however ignores it entirely if it's absent.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It'a quite good, but has multiple dlcs with new items and only five new animals per dlc.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Det_no posted:

AC Odyssey seems like a pretty cool Witcher 3/Shadow of War ripoff. But man is it STUPID heavy on hardware requirements.

I've found its suprisingly playable at medium with my potato of a 750Ti. Sadly, the thing wont even try to launch AC Valhalla because of DX12.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So here's a bit of a weird pull: I've been playing a bunch of ps2 sports games my friends and I enjoyed around 2005-2011, and I remember falling off sometime during the ps3 era because it felt like none of the new crap was improving the gameplay much beyond what they already had. Is there anything semi-recent on steam that feels similar to that old dynamic of running a bunch of goobers around a field? I don't care about licensing/rosters, and almost don't care about sport, but holy poo poo NHL 2010 and NBA Street 2 were loads of fun.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I was looking for a chill relaxation game and jumped on Among Trees in the sale, but unfortunately I'm not quite feeling it. It's very pretty and has great atmosphere, but it's in an awkward place where it doesn't have any narrative driving it, but the crafting and gathering also aren't quite involved enough to carry it as a purely sandbox experience.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

AC:odyssey is my fav of the asscreed games since black flag, and then AC2 before that.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Tafferling posted:

The dev included the game's source code in the latest update, so I'd be a little surprised if he's using any DRM. You could set up a python environment to run Rift Wizard anywhere.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
With regards to Encased having a black character called Pete:

https://twitter.com/chixculube/status/1456787166928031746

Anyway, I've been playing some war games again (recruit army with resources <-> fight to capture resources). Fantasy General II, Shadow Empire (refunded), Legion War (demo only), Wargroove, etc. But as has happened before, they just keep reminding me of Wesnoth so I started playing Wesnoth again. Frankly Wesnoth is just way too good for an open source game. Maybe it's also part nostalgia since I've been playing for more than 15 years... That said, any recommendations for other games I should check out?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I enjoyed both Surge games. As someone for whom the dark souls games were just too slow there's a real frenetic energy to the surge games where you can feel like the tasmanian devil or some poo poo and just run people down overwhelming them with attacks while also engaging yknow with the parry and dodge and stuff like that. Also there is just some level of visceral satisfaction with ripping enemies apart to take their equipment. That's a nice arm you've got there... I think I'll take it!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Here's all the Stellaris DLC that I don't own that's also 50% off + not an ebook or soundtrack:

Federations
Megacorp
Synthetic Dawn
Ancient Relics

Humanoids
Lithoids
Plaintoids

I'm assuming the bottom list is cosmetic stuff... which of these DLCs are worth getting?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Ancient Relics is the only must buy on that last, imo. The others are for fleshing out parts of the game you like or adding in more (mostly cosmetic) variety, although the species packs have a bit of game content as well.

Get Synthetic Dawn if you like robbits, Federations for more, well, Federation stuff, MegaCorp if you want to play as a corporation. The latter is generally seen as kind of weak but they’re my favorite play style.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Det_no posted:

All the new AC games seem to run ok at 1440p but scale really poorly at 4k, I don't think you can get 60fps 4k maxed settings in AC Valhalla even with a 3090. There are a couple graphics settings that are incredibly taxing so it's worth looking at a performance tuning guide -- the "cloud detail" one particularly is very costly when turned all the way up.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I probably average close to 60 with 4k and a 3080 ti in Valhalla. Not all the settings are maxed though, maybe set on the 2nd highest for some of the settings?

It's a shame about no ray tracing. Screens from the mod that turns on ray tracing take it to a whole new level.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

bamhand posted:

I probably average close to 60 with 4k and a 3080 ti in Valhalla. Not all the settings are maxed though, maybe set on the 2nd highest for some of the settings?

It's a shame about no ray tracing. Screens from the mod that turns on ray tracing take it to a whole new level.

Wow and you definitely don't have the adaptive scaling/minimum framerate turned on? Maybe it's gotten better since I tried it, that's good to hear.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've had Hello Neighbor and Kingdoms and Castles on my wishlist since 2017.

Thoughts?

Also, both Mrs. Slidebite and my mom are casual gamers, click and find stuff and bejewelled/Zuma popcap type games that are easy to pick up and go. Anything come out in the past year or two that are must haves?

Also, RE the click/find, they both HATE when they have puzzles, usually between levels as part of some lame story narrative. They'd far rather just endless click and find. Anything that fits that?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The entire Tomb Raider reboot trilogy with all of the DLCs is free on Epic today

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

goferchan posted:

Wow and you definitely don't have the adaptive scaling/minimum framerate turned on? Maybe it's gotten better since I tried it, that's good to hear.

Just ran the benchmark. I have adaptive quality off. Every setting on "High" (some of them go up to Very High or Ultra High) so it's not max settings. Average 76 FPS, min 39, max 126.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hows ULTRAKILL? I loved Dusk but something about Amid Evil's visuals put me off

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

repiv posted:

The entire Tomb Raider reboot trilogy with all of the DLCs is free on Epic today

Just a note that if people play only one, play Rise.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Ultrakill slaps but it's still very much in early access, only about half of the campaign is finished

I didn't like Amid Evil much either

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Mankind is dead.
Hell is full.
Blood is fuel.

It's v good but you need to be aware that it's a character action game first and NOT a boomer shooter.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah I think the closest comparison to Ultrakills gameplay would be a more streamlined version of Doom Eternal

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Backlog of unplayed video games are pretty much just NFTs.
Don't be those guys, don't have a backlog

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

repiv posted:

I guess that was something you could expect when they made the transition to Epic for online stuff. I think that was in October?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: whoa look who's at the club!

Whatever this game is, I hope it's a recreation of this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HusslxQh-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Fatty posted:

Just a note that if people play only one, play Rise.

Thanks, came here to ask this.