Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm hoping that Cortana being dead before Infinite started is a fakeout. Halo 5 ending with her going nuts and trying to take over the galaxy was a good sequel hook so I'm gonna be disappointed if "oh yeah I deleted her a few months ago" ends up being true. It reminds me of Metroid Dread not directly following up with Samus being in the run from the Federation from the end of Metroid Fusion or Pirates 3 where the Kraken died in between movies. Game's pretty fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
IIRC that thing with Samus being on the run is because of a localization snafu. Something about how the ones who are pissed at Samus are from an extreme minority faction and so the general Federation doesn't have beef with her.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Finished the Halo campaign it's fine. Congrats to 343 on not faceplanting. Except for the boss fights, every single one is dogshit. Good thing there are only a few, bad thing that the worst two are bunched up at the end and left me with a bad aftertaste.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The whole endgame is like four times too long and isn't good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

running through the same four blue rooms while cortana whispers some poo poo at you got old really fast

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

running through the same four blue rooms while cortana whispers some poo poo at you got old really fast

in 2001

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Bought Immortals Fenyx Rising on a whim at 20 bucks and I’m kind of having a blast with it. It’s absolutely reskinned Breath of the Wild, but it plays well, is actually pretty funny, and doesn’t have weapons that break every six hits. I’ve been having an issue sticking with games but this one got its hooks in pretty quickly.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

goddamnit it really is another Driver: San Francisco then

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

acksplode posted:

Finished the Halo campaign it's fine. Congrats to 343 on not faceplanting. Except for the boss fights, every single one is dogshit. Good thing there are only a few, bad thing that the worst two are bunched up at the end and left me with a bad aftertaste.

I get that balancing things is hard but I had to try the last boss like twenty times until I remembered energy weapons exist. On the flip side the third to last boss had a cool entrance and I killed him in maybe 6 seconds.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lol yeah you get this creepy two level arena where I guess he's supposed to chase you around, but I just maneuvered around the same small area and staggered him into withdrawing before he could ever land a hit on me. Also I'm pretty sure he cheats and straight up disappears sometimes when it looks like he's cloaking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

acksplode posted:

Lol yeah you get this creepy two level arena where I guess he's supposed to chase you around, but I just maneuvered around the same small area and staggered him into withdrawing before he could ever land a hit on me. Also I'm pretty sure he cheats and straight up disappears sometimes when it looks like he's cloaking.

If you drop a sensor scan he absolutely does this, yes.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I didn't use the threat detector thing once after that first battle in the tower.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah i just spammed grapple and it would hit them eventually and shock them

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oh that's another gripe I have, grapple should've started at like the second or third upgrade. There's no good reason to have a long cooldown on the one fun mechanic 343 introduced to the formula except to justify collecting upgrade points, which is busywork that's meant to justify the open world. It's so obvious that this was a once-ambitious game where they eventually said gently caress it, we need to cut corners and ship this thing. Nerf the grapple at the start so there's a reason to explore the samey looking world. Threat tracker trivializes the cloaking boss, gently caress it make him disappear I guess.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 30, 2021

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

acksplode posted:

Oh that's another gripe I have, grapple should've started at like the second or third upgrade. There's no good reason to have a long cooldown on the one fun mechanic 343 introduced to the formula except to justify collecting upgrade points, which is busywork that's meant to justify the open world. It's so obvious that this was a once-ambitious game where they eventually said gently caress it, we need to cut corners and ship this thing. Nerf the grapple at the start so there's a reason to explore the samey looking world. Threat tracker trivializes the cloaking boss, gently caress it make him disappear I guess.

I'm pretty sure you upgrade the grapple to the second level within like 2-3 hours of playing the game. Allowing a completely new mechanic to breathe before users inevitably spam it in every fight seems like good game design?

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
at long last I secured a series x

forza horizon 5 needs a verbosity slider, jesus christ

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Me: (Holds r2 for 10 seconds)

Game: Whoa bro you are so awesome omg your followers are going wild dude!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Adun posted:

I'm pretty sure you upgrade the grapple to the second level within like 2-3 hours of playing the game. Allowing a completely new mechanic to breathe before users inevitably spam it in every fight seems like good game design?

Stifling the mechanic with a cooldown lets it breathe? It's a grappling hook, I think I get the concept, I don't really need to ramp up on it. I wrapped my head around it in 15 seconds, fell in love with it, and then immediately got irritated by the cooldown. 343 should let me spam it immediately because it's the only fun new mechanic in the game and it makes it bearable to walk around these large environments as the slow refrigerator man.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Anyone here played DOA 4? I have it on my wish list(which doesn't work) and I find the idea of playing a fighting game as a Spartan Mommy interesting.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

let me know if this isn't kosher to talk about here, but has anyone messed around with series x dev mode emulation at all? hoping to play some ps1&2 games on this thing but I'm worried about like. getting banned

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You won’t get banned I’ve been playing Duckstation in retail mode for months

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Going to Gamestop tomorrow to trade in my One S 1TB + controller for store credit. They're both in pristine condition, I also still have the box, and I have a pro account. Will I likely get the full trade-in credit value? Right now it's $220 for the console, and $27.50 for the controller for pro members.

I also have an unopened/brand new Series Robot White controller I got during BF. Wonder what its trade-in value will be.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

teagone posted:

Going to Gamestop tomorrow to trade in my One S 1TB + controller for store credit. They're both in pristine condition, I also still have the box, and I have a pro account. Will I likely get the full trade-in credit value? Right now it's $220 for the console, and $27.50 for the controller for pro members.

I also have an unopened/brand new Series Robot White controller I got during BF. Wonder what its trade-in value will be.

I traded in my good condition one x yesterday and got full trade in value, no fuss, no muss. make sure to bring along the HDMI and power cable though

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Don’t forget your controller cable, GameStop won’t take it without it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I traded in my good condition one x yesterday and got full trade in value, no fuss, no muss. make sure to bring along the HDMI and power cable though

Dope good to know. And yeah, it'll come with all the original cables and stuff, packed into the original box which is also still in good condition.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Series X is in stock at Curry's:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gamin...234191-pdt.html

Unfortunately only as part of bundles, but it's an option anyway.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 30, 2021

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Also beat the Halo campaign a few days ago, overall pretty enjoyable. Could definitely tell they had more ambitions but ultimately cut it short. Capturing the bases and defeating the strongholds were kinda cool at first but they started feeling a bit like the Ubisoft games and more of a chore and you eventually realize they barely matter.

Was playing on heroic and like the second to last boss was so irritating, essentially tons of health, would kill you in 1-2 hits, and was much faster than you, forcing you to clumsily grapple away or use the thruster but the cooldowns are a tad long leaving you helpless at times.

Game could use an NG+ because while doing the campaign again would be fun I dont wanna do the side stuff again

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I saw a list of hidden gems of 2021 and one of the games was a poorly titled deckbuilder roguelike called Tainted Grail: Conquest*. I looked it up and saw it was on gamepass (PC only, but this is the gamepass thread as much as it is xbox imo).

Anyway, it kind of owns? So far. It's like Slay the Spire with Diablo 2's world and aesthetic. You build up a village while taking (long) runs into the killer fog surrounding it. The starter class was bad but I almost finished a run with the summoner before my tank minions started getting overwhelmed and I died. There's a whole lot of classes though they unlock 1 at a time.

Worth a shot if you're not bored of the genre yet.

*what the gently caress is up with word salad titles? I've seen several solid games lately hidden by nonsense like this. Literally name it "Tainted", "Grail", or "Conquest" and it's generic but at least I remember it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ultrachrist posted:

*what the gently caress is up with word salad titles? I've seen several solid games lately hidden by nonsense like this. Literally name it "Tainted", "Grail", or "Conquest" and it's generic but at least I remember it.

Yeah, have we like run out of names so we have to throw stuff together? Hunt Showdown is one of the worst offenders in that the name conveys almost no information.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hunt Showdown is literally one of he worst game names ever that is not an Anime. It's confusing and does absolutely nothing to sell a game that has a ton of atmosphere.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think this one takes it.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/10/26/discover-why-even-the-dead-are-terrified-in-wraith-the-oblivion-afterlife/

WRAITH The oblivion AFTERLIFE

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Well that's based on a White Wolf game so that has some legacy name stuff going on but yeah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

worst non-anime game name of all time is Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie and it ain’t close

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Quantum of Phallus posted:

worst non-anime game name of all time is Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie and it ain’t close

At least you know what your getting with this one

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

hatty posted:

You won’t get banned I’ve been playing Duckstation in retail mode for months

through the Edge app? I was under the impression you needed to switch to dev mode to get retroarch running

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I got on the retroarch whitelist and am able to download emulators and games like AM2R right from the Microsoft store it’s pretty neat

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You're not going to get banned for using Dev Mode for running third party apps, because that is The Exact Purpose Of Dev Mode And The Reason It Exists. It's literally what it's there for. Go nuts.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Anyone here played DOA 4? I have it on my wish list(which doesn't work) and I find the idea of playing a fighting game as a Spartan Mommy interesting.

I played a poo poo load back in high school. Good game. What do you want to know? From a lore perspective it's pretty weird to watch a Spartan in full armor get thrown around by tiny high schoolers.

E: Also the Halo arena takes place in a very memorable scene from Halo 2 which is pretty neat.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 30, 2021

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

The Kins posted:

You're not going to get banned for using Dev Mode for running third party apps, because that is The Exact Purpose Of Dev Mode And The Reason It Exists. It's literally what it's there for. Go nuts.

hatty posted:

I got on the retroarch whitelist and am able to download emulators and games like AM2R right from the Microsoft store it’s pretty neat

interesting, thanks for the insight. obviously the two of you have preferences, but is there an advantage to switching between dev and retail mode vs whitelisting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Walked out the door of my local Gamestop with a Series S for ~$70 after trading in my One S + media remote :dance: — didn't realize the $220 credit included the controller though, I thought I was gonna get an extra $27.50 for that lmao. But I guess that's just for additional controllers.

The Series S I got also comes bundled with some Fortnite/Rocket League stuff I can flip on Ebay for like $100+ too it looks like.