Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

*charges into thread*

Dead Cells is a roguelite

LITE!

LITE!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenix Alheron
Oct 21, 2010
It's a game where you run around an open area, collecting items that individually do not do much, but when combined allow you to progress further in the game. You fight giant bosses that require you to memorize attack patterns and only attack when the boss is most vulnerable.

Dark Souls is a collectathon platformer, in the vein of Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
It’s times like these ya gotta ask yourself: Are the free games worth all this?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

timp posted:

It’s times like these ya gotta ask yourself: Are the free games worth all this?

Mods???

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Get the hell outta here with this blasphemy

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fenix Alheron posted:

It's a game where you run around an open area, collecting items that individually do not do much, but when combined allow you to progress further in the game. You fight giant bosses that require you to memorize attack patterns and only attack when the boss is most vulnerable.

Dark Souls is a collectathon platformer, in the vein of Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie.

:hmmyes:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I made the argument in another thread that Monster Hunter is nothing more than an extremely well-presented incremental game and I've yet to hear an opposing argument to the otherwise.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I have no interest in Souls games but liked HK, will I like S&S?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I'm not asking if I should play it because playing free games is wrong.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
No you will not like it, because video games are bad and nobody likes them

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Tomb Raider trilogy is a JRPG because it's published by Square Enix

Zushio
May 8, 2008
S&S is fine, but I felt it was a lot easier to build a bad character than a good one.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Waffleman_ posted:

The Tomb Raider trilogy is a JRPG because it's published by Square Enix

Does this mean hitman was a jrpg but may no longer be?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
All first person shooters are DOOM clones duh

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
After 2001 they became Halo killers, thanks.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

After 2001 they became Halo killers, thanks.

Marathon competitors.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Depth Dwellers derivatives

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

leper khan posted:

Does this mean hitman was a jrpg but may no longer be?

And any future Gex game will be one as well

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

cage-free egghead posted:

This thread is like a roguelike sometimes except I become more powerful with my posting.

Thread has meta progression, confirmed.

Content: excited to try out S&S. Whatever kind of game it is.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's a fine game! It's not great, but it was certainly for it's time a solid interpretation of the Souls formula. The character aesthetic is early 2000s Newgrounds but it works fine, outside of the player character whose face looks terrible. Also sometimes the foreground and desaturation makes it hard to spot enemies/traps.

It also follows the true Souls tradition of a first boss that is supposed to kill you but will reward you for beating them.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 30, 2021

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

TGLT posted:

It also follows the true Souls tradition of a first boss that is supposed to kill you but will reward you for beating them.

I have brain worms that will make me reset until I can best the.boss the first time when I know it's possible.

Thanks for this.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

People need to accept that in 2021 there are only 3 types of games. Souls like, botw like, and Minecraft like.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

People need to accept that in 2021 there are only 3 types of games. Souls like, botw like, and Minecraft like.

I could see the argument for Devil May Cry being a Zelda like.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You forgot Strand-type

shameful

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
What about Tetris?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

leper khan posted:

What about Tetris?

It's all based on reaction times and hit boxes, sounds like a souls like to me

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

leper khan posted:

What about Tetris?

Tetris is a battle royale game now, and we know those are usually multiple people on an island sort of deal. Combined with the blocky nature of Tetris, it's pretty obviously a Minecraft like

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Tetris is extremely Souls. You have an hp bar that's constantly getting filled with damage and your goal is to parry the attacks in such a way that they chain into a healing effect.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So we can all agree that Tetris is a Soulscraft?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's more of a doomvania

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

All three of the Tomb Raider reboot games are free today, and it looks like they're all the GOTY versions with all of the DLCs included

Back to weekly giveaways after this with Gods Will Fall

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're available for a week and the volume is pretty heavy right now. I got Shadow added to my library but it's still being processed.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Just got the third Tomb Raider as a Christmas gift, oh well! Does seem like a lot of traffic on Epic right now, to an extent I haven't been able to log in, so best try later all.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The third one is probably the most frustrating game I've played and gave up after a couple of hours. Just cutscenes after cutscenes and pressing one button to walk slowly and the actual gameplay feels like one long tutorial. The first one was miles better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

not a bot posted:

The third one is probably the most frustrating game I've played and gave up after a couple of hours. Just cutscenes after cutscenes and pressing one button to walk slowly and the actual gameplay feels like one long tutorial. The first one was miles better.

The third one opens up quite a bit after the introduction, but yeah it takes a while and I won't blame anyone who doesn't put up with "Oh well the 'real' game starts 8 hours in."

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The real Tomb Raider starts when you get to Gran Pulse.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The TR games are like the only games I preorder without having "Final Fantasy" in the title. I love them. Already had them in my Steam account but was missing a couple DLCs so thanks, EGS! Cool sendoff to the year, for sure! :toot:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you might as well play them on egs too since the steam versions of all three were patched a couple months ago to open epic before they launch

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

site posted:

you might as well play them on egs too since the steam versions of all three were patched a couple months ago to open epic before they launch

they really shouldn't be allowed to do that retroactively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are any of these the one with the benchmark people use for ray tracing?