Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

He didn't want to leave Fennec behind, especially after their "get-her-over-the-shields" ploy failed

She doesn't have as much armor as Fett does, given she's a sharpshooter and sure, she can do fisticuffs, but those tend to not work very well against (energy) shields

If anything's brow-raise worthy, it's why Fett aimed a rocket at the shield itself rather than, say, the ground at their attacker's feet

I don't think anyone was suggesting that he fly off and leave her. Just get a better angle on them or even land behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Hell yeah love me some Beefy Fett

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can we get a Book of Max Rebo: A Star Wars Story next?

Gotta find out how the hell that doofy blue elephant thing survived the sail barge explosion.

With an episode directed by Robert Rodriquez.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AndyElusive posted:

Gotta find out how the hell that doofy blue elephant thing survived the sail barge explosion.

I think he just plugged his mouth with his thumb and blew hard.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dude, WHAT MOUTH?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

AndyElusive posted:

Taking this opportunity to point out that everything we think we know about Max Rebo's physique is wrong.
Those stubby little hands? They were supposed to be his feet!

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-mysteries-getting-to-the-bottom-of-max-rebo

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

AndyElusive posted:

Dude, WHAT MOUTH?

Oh my god Andy you can’t just ask them that. Have some tact for fucks sake.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IT BURNS posted:

On a series derived from laser swords, space magic, and monsters/aliens, were my son and I entertained? Sure, absolutely. Was it better than The Mandolorian? Maybe not at this point, but Mando had its share of weak episodes along the way. It's a solid 8.5/10 start and I'm interested in watching the rest. I have a feeling that the Asohka Tano show might end up being be better, but whatevs.

The only thing that doesn't jive with Boba in Mando is the constant bacta infusions. He badassed his way through those episodes without breaking a sweat but now all of a sudden he's...immunocompromised? Boba from "The Tragedy" is kind of what I was hoping for here - a ruthless, unstoppable, killing machine capable of taking out an entire platoon of storm troopers in one go. This is what was alluded to in the preview at the end of Mando with how he slaughtered Bib without a second thought.

I liked the flashbacks, particularly the sarlacc pit with Jabba's destroyed ship in the background.

One thing I’d like to point out is Boba was wrecking storm troopers which have never been shown to be the badasses they should be whereas Boba kinda got out-played by what I’m assuming are skilled assassins with energy shields who knew how to actually fight. Even Fennec was having issues and they were definitely going to get taken out until the Gammorian Bros showed up and screwed up the assassin’s strategy.

Those shocks might have messed up Boba more than we know because of his recovering injuries from the pit.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

tuo posted:

He‘s bad a fighting Marauders in Doom Eternal.

He's the reason why bungie had to change the phalanxes in Destiny 2 to have big a big glowy off button in the middle of the shields

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Did anyone else feel like flashback Boba Fett didn't feel like Boba Fett? It felt like an unused Mando script if you take out the Sarlaac escape: Din gets captured, escapes and tries to help free a prisoner, makes quips, kills a monster to save a child, becomes respected by tribe, probably now friends with the kid, sounds like a Mandolorian ep to me. There was nothing that made Boba Fett feel like THE Boba Fett, the most feared, efficient, cold blooded etc bounty hunter in the galaxy, he just came across as a pretty decent dude.

If we're to believe that over time Boba mellowed out, then surely just escaped from Sarlacc, working for Vader, Boba should not be a decent man. I understand he's not evil but I feel like the general consensus is that Boba isn't good, he's definetly not an anti hero or a Bounty Hunter with a heart of gold like Din, he killed and captured for the Empire for years so we know he has few morals, so showing that side of him from the outset and having him slowly over the episodes have a bit of a redemption as he mingles with the Tuskens or whatever to me would have been a bit more interesting, I feel like if they weren't afraid to show that side of him, the change we see in him come The Mandolorian and TBOBF becomes more impactful. Instead he's just coming off as good guy the audience is supposed to root for from the jump, e.g. offering to help the Rodian escape, little humorous quips like apologising to the dog creature, and come ep 2 he's likely now buddy buddy with this Tusken kid.

So yes he should have snapped that Rodian's neck the second he made some noise. Or you know, just tell the Rodian who he was and use that to shut him up, cementing to the audience his fearsome reputation.

To further clarify I didn't need him to go all Anakin and kill all the Tuskens, but to me it's a bit weak when if you'd have put Din in the flashback parts of the episode instead of Boba I wouldn't have noticed the difference. If what we're supposed to take from all this is actually there isn't much difference between Boba and Din well to me that's just lazy writing. Yes they're both bounty hunters, they have similar armor, but one is shown to be a good heartrd, and most importantly young guy and the other is a guy in his 50s(?) who was deemed so ruthless Vader asks him to chill out.

Tldr: Boba Fett (ROTJ era) doesn't feel like Boba Fett should imo. Sorry for :words:

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 30, 2021

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Just Chamber posted:

Did anyone else feel like flashback Boba Fett didn't feel like Boba Fett? It felt like an unused Mando script if you take out the Sarlaac escape: Din gets captured, escapes and tries to help free a prisoner, makes quips, kills a monster to save a child, becomes respected by tribe, probably now friends with the kid, sounds like a Mandolorian ep to me. There was nothing that made Boba Fett feel like THE Boba Fett, the most feared, efficient, cold blooded etc bounty hunter in the galaxy, he just came across as a pretty decent dude.

If we're to believe that over time Boba mellowed out, then surely just escaped from Sarlacc, working for Vader, Boba should not be a decent man. I understand he's not evil but I feel like the general consensus is that Boba isn't good, he's definetly not an anti hero or a Bounty Hunter with a heart of gold like Din, he killed and captured for the Empire for years so we know he has few morals, so showing that side of him from the outset and having him slowly over the episodes have a bit of a redemption as he mingles with the Tuskens or whatever to me would have been a bit more interesting, I feel like if they weren't afraid to show that side of him, the change we see in him come The Mandolorian and TBOBF becomes more impactful. Instead he's just coming off as good guy the audience is supposed to root for from the jump, e.g. offering to help the Rodian escape, little humorous quips like apologising to the dog creature, and come ep 2 he's likely now buddy buddy with this Tusken kid.

So yes he should have snapped that Rodian's neck the second he made some noise. Or you know, just tell the Rodian who he was and use that to shut him up, cementing to the audience his fearsome reputation.

To further clarify I didn't need him to go all Anakin and kill all the Tuskens, but to me it's a bit weak when if you'd have put Din in the flashback parts of the episode instead of Boba I wouldn't have noticed the difference. If what we're supposed to take from all this is actually there isn't much difference between Boba and Din well to me that's just lazy writing. Yes they're both bounty hunters, they have similar armor, but one is shown to be a good heartrd, and most importantly young guy and the other is a guy in his 50s(?) who was deemed so ruthless Vader asks him to chill out.

Tldr: Boba Fett (ROTJ era) doesn't feel like Boba Fett should imo. Sorry for :words:

Humph Bet your are a riot at parties

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Every episode needs to have Boba getting his rear end kicked.

The book of Boba Fett is his medical record.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s a valid complaint to say that Boba felt more like Din. But then again maybe ending up in a giant stomachussy and left for dead changes you. He’s trying to do the don’t fear me, respect me as your better thing by walking into it head first. A heart of gold wouldn’t try and take over a criminal empire. He just knows that fear is difficult to maintain and once it’s gone it’s gone. Respect is earned and lasts without constant upkeep.

His being hosed up and having to do bacta dips all the time is interesting. I wonder if it’s his clone dna breaking down or something. Is Filoni writing on any of these or is it all Favreau? Bringing the clones into his flashbacks would be a good story to tell couched in this overall re-established character. Seeing yourself aged and broken and just hosed up in general would probably do a number on someone psyche. He got hostile to the mandos when they brought up his face. Due to the name of the series and how flashback oriented the first episode was I feel like that’s what it’s going to be. Just bringing everyone up to speed. Could be cool or could be empty garbage who knows. Mando seemed dumb at first and is still great TV.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
During the flashback scenes I was wondering if they were going to do any live action recreations from the Clone Wars cartoon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Every episode needs to have Boba getting his rear end kicked.

The book of Boba Fett is his medical record.

Boba Fett in Episodes 1-6: CALL AN AMBULANCE! CALL AN AMBULANCE!

Boba Fett in Episode 7: *lowers his reticle and draws his blaster* BUT NOT FOR ME.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Humph Bet your are a riot at parties

Haha thanks. I was just pretty disappointed and was trying to work out just what felt so flat about this show compared to The Mandalorian which I really liked. I jotted it down during the course of a very boring work day at my desk so it was a nice time killer and as such longer than it probably needed to be!

Saying all that I still think the flashback parts are the best part even after writing all of that. Everyone's pretty much covered the reasons why the present day stuff was just kind of dull.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 30, 2021

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Vitruvian Manic posted:

During the flashback scenes I was wondering if they were going to do any live action recreations from the Clone Wars cartoon.
Want to see them secretly find and film a kid doing a ton of scenes over the course of a year or so then sprinkle the scenes into whatever Clone/Fett story they're working on for the next 5-10 years.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Boba Fett being a badass was only ever in your headcanon, he's always been a bumbling dweeb on screen

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anita Dickinme posted:

One thing I’d like to point out is Boba was wrecking storm troopers which have never been shown to be the badasses they should be whereas Boba kinda got out-played by what I’m assuming are skilled assassins with energy shields who knew how to actually fight. Even Fennec was having issues and they were definitely going to get taken out until the Gammorian Bros showed up and screwed up the assassin’s strategy.

Those shocks might have messed up Boba more than we know because of his recovering injuries from the pit.

It seems pretty clear to me that Fett and Fennec were virtually unarmed on his orders. He still had what was integrated in his armor but it would either be useless/dangerous to use in the shield box (he did use an explosive to break it up but just blasted himself as well) or cause excessive collateral damage (flying up and firing his jetpack rocket into the crowd would just risk killing Fennec and civilians). He explicitly wants to rule through respectfully interacting with Mos Espa and proving that he's not a threat unless you really cross him; one of his lines in the trailers has him telling all the other crime bosses that it's better for them to work together and profit instead of just constant backstabbing. So instead of being carried on a litter surrounded by guns and armed guards, he walks in with bare minimum for self-defense on his own two feet to come across as respectful.

It's very likely that the Tusken flashbacks, with him being integrated into the tribe through kindness and respect when he didn't have to, is going to be shown to reflect on who he is as a person by 9 ABY. He might not know exactly how to handle being a crime lord in a region always ruled by fear and abuse yet, and will make mistakes, but he's not just a ruthless sociopath. He didn't just run from the kid who was forcing him to get water because he was:

A) Incredibly weak from his injuries and probably deprivation of water and food until an adrenaline rush hit
B) Didn't want to kill a child
C) The homestead they were raiding had already been attacked, so there's no guarantee there would even be everything he'd need to survive or get help in it

Also, I don't get the confusion about the water gourds. They're probably the new canon version of the hubba gourd, which was the Tusken main food and liquid source in the old EU.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

Watch Clone Wars.

Also, even without that, we see his dad, Jango, who he is a perfect clone of and who raised him, and he was just set to do his job and highly efficient and skilled, not ruthless outside of his job. The Raiders weren't part of a job. Thats ignoring what we see from Clonetroopers that aren't under Order 66.

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 30, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Boba Fett being a badass was only ever in your headcanon, he's always been a bumbling dweeb on screen

I get this because yea, we never saw him do much in the original trilogy except I suppose successfully capture Han and a lot of him is fan generated. However I think he's canonically regarded as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy. And while you could say the Mandalorian did in a way canonically make him a badass, I don't care if he's a badass, it can all just be undeserved reputation, I quite like that Din is probably better than him. But someone who willingly works for the Empire for decades(?), and has such a reputation could I think have been portrayed with a much harder, more darker tone. He shouldnt be Din in green armor 24 hours after the Sarlaac.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

I get this because yea, we never saw him do much in the original trilogy except I suppose successfully capture Han and a lot of him is fan generated. However I think he's canonically regarded as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy. And while you could say the Mandalorian did in a way canonically make him a badass, though I don't care if he's a badass or not, it can all just be undeserved reputation, I quite like that Din is probably better than him. But someone who willingly works for the Empire for decades(?), and has such a reputation could I think have been portrayed with a much harder, more darker tone. He shouldnt be Din in green armor 24 hours after the Sarlaac.

The flashbacks are clearly going to be implying a much longer length of time and justifying how he is now. Even this one episode suggests multiple days of them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

I get this because yea, we never saw him do much in the original trilogy except I suppose successfully capture Han and a lot of him is fan generated. However I think he's canonically regarded as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy. And while you could say the Mandalorian did in a way canonically make him a badass, I don't care if he's a badass, it can all just be undeserved reputation, I quite like that Din is probably better than him. But someone who willingly works for the Empire for decades(?), and has such a reputation could I think have been portrayed with a much harder, more darker tone. He shouldnt be Din in green armor 24 hours after the Sarlaac.

Canon isn't real

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Dave Syndrome posted:

Taking this opportunity to point out that everything we think we know about Max Rebo's physique is wrong.
Those stubby little hands? They were supposed to be his feet!

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-mysteries-getting-to-the-bottom-of-max-rebo
This feels like learning forbidden knowledge.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

chitoryu12 posted:

The flashbacks are clearly going to be implying a much longer length of time and justifying how he is now. Even this one episode suggests multiple days of them.

It would be funny if they did what Arrival did and have them actually be flash-forwards. He gets to fall into the saarlac and lose his armour all over again.

Spoiler for a film from 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

I clicked on the mysteries tag at the bottom, each one of those stories is great. I'd eat up a much longer series of that kind of thing.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

It would be funny if they did what Arrival did and have them actually be flash-forwards. He gets to fall into the saarlac and lose his armour all over again.

Spoiler for a film from 2016

I love that idea. While I guess it cant happen because he's already Tusken'd out in Mandalorian having the final episode be a depressed and dejected Boba, his criminal empire in tatters, go back to where it all went wrong and jumping into the Sarlaac pit to commit suicide but the Tusken's give him new life and purpose might be amazing.

Darko posted:

Watch Clone Wars.

Also, even without that, we see his dad, Jango, who he is a perfect clone of and who raised him, and he was just set to do his job and highly efficient and skilled, not ruthless outside of his job. The Raiders weren't part of a job. Thats ignoring what we see from Clonetroopers that aren't under Order 66.

Would watching Clone Wars where he's like 11(?) really change the audiences view of him? I haven't seen it but I do know he's portrayed as someone caught up in stuff he doesn't necessarily want to be and I know he isnt shown as some evil sociopath. But he's had like 50 years to not be someone who works for decades for the empire and is firmly in the roster of bad guys even if he is just doing his job. I just think he should be coming across as a much darker character than he is. But I appreciate also that there is a degree of personal head-cannon there. Again I think if they'd really differentiated him from Din in these flashbacks, then having him be the redeemed character they seem to be wanting to portray him as in the present would be more impactful, but let's see where it goes, it was a weak pilot in general.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 30, 2021

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lord Hydronium posted:

Literally every part of this is like reading all these primary sources that confirm without a doubt that George Washington was two kids in a trenchcoat, from the future.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why are people acting like Max Rebo surviving is a spoiler? Dude had a gig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQxAmHdGtZA

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Not sure why people are complaining about the water gourds. They’re a local resource that’s enough to sustain a small nomadic population that knows how to find them but large urban centers need the moisture farmers to survive, it’s not that hard.

My beef with them was how they just slurped it through their disgusting masks like they’re the player in Bioshock 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Keeping moisture on your mouth covering is a good idea in the desert.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pretty sure it tastes like garbage water anyway since Cobb Vanth was willing to suffer dehydration over drinking from one of them when it was offered to him by the Tusken Raiders.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Sash! posted:

Literally every part of this is like reading all these primary sources that confirm without a doubt that George Washington was two kids in a trenchcoat, from the future.

It’s like being a hardcore Christian your entire life then reading the Gnostic gospels.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

I love that idea. While I guess it cant happen because he's already Tusken'd out in Mandalorian having the final episode be a depressed and dejected Boba, his criminal empire in tatters, go back to where it all went wrong and jumping into the Sarlaac pit to commit suicide but the Tusken's give him new life and purpose might be amazing.

Would watching Clone Wars where he's like 11(?) really change the audiences view of him? I haven't seen it but I do know he's portrayed as someone caught up in stuff he doesn't necessarily want to be and I know he isnt shown as some evil sociopath. But he's had like 50 years to not be someone who works for decades for the empire and is firmly in the roster of bad guys even if he is just doing his job. I just think he should be coming across as a much darker character than he is. But I appreciate also that there is a degree of personal head-cannon there. Again I think if they'd really differentiated him from Din in these flashbacks, then having him be the redeemed character they seem to be wanting to portray him as in the present would be more impactful, but let's see where it goes, it was a weak pilot in general.

Yeah, it ensures that he actually does care about stuff and people.

His template is Jango, who cared enough to have a kid and actually care about him and raise him enough, so he's not all stoic and has empathy. You also get his early bounty career and who he learned from and what lessons he learned.

The cool stoic badass whatever thing from Empire (he sucked in Jedi and was the punchline to a joke, but people tend to gloss over that) is contextualized as him on the job. Combine that also with how all of his Clone brothers start as pretty decent people and not amoral, outside of Order 66, and you come to think of him more as an offshoot of the Clones and Jango as opposed to what he was in the 80s to people.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 30, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

Pretty sure it tastes like garbage water anyway since Cobb Vanth was willing to suffer dehydration over drinking from one of them when it was offered to him by the Tusken Raiders.

I’m pretty sure a good part of that was Cobb being a racist rear end in a top hat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m pretty sure a good part of that was Cobb being a racist rear end in a top hat.

Probably a little of column A and a little of column B.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bussamove posted:

Not sure why people are complaining about the water gourds. They’re a local resource that’s enough to sustain a small nomadic population that knows how to find them but large urban centers need the moisture farmers to survive, it’s not that hard.

My beef with them was how they just slurped it through their disgusting masks like they’re the player in Bioshock 2.

Its more that they appeared to just bullseye a spot in a place with no landmarks or distinguishable features and found them in 4 seconds.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Its more that they appeared to just bullseye a spot in a place with no landmarks or distinguishable features and found them in 4 seconds.

the dog found them

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Thought the episode was mostly fine, although the fight between Boba/Fennec and the assassin folks felt really off. Also, there's a scene where Boba is walking with the Tusken kid and the Rodian over a dune, and it looked really jarring.

Otherwise, looking forward to the next episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

feedmyleg posted: