Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
kick up the biggest god drat fuss you possibly can in any way you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Well the DWP wrote back about the mandatory reconsideration on the IIDB benefit I applied for. They are sticking with their original decision.

Apparently not being able to work full time for over 10 years and not at all for five years (because of a condition they acknowledge that I have, that is lifelong and that was caused by a previous job) means I am only 4% disabled, and they refuse to move it up to a level where I'd be getting any financial help.

So congratulations me I guess; I am officially disabled, but not enough to get government support. Apparently I can appeal at tribunal, but I have absolutely zero faith that I would be listened to there either.

I don't have the latest figures, but the DWP have a terrible record at tribunals and they are constantly fighting to limit their scope with little success.

Tribunals take longer than reconsiderations so make sure you've happy that your claim is the best argument you can give and that you left the dwp with as little room for dishonest interpretation as possible - the whole thing is easier if the surface reading can only possibly support your award and the dwp are forced into getting the law wrong, accusing you of lying, or making demonstrably false claims about your condition. If you're happy that your case is solid then go ahead with it, if you think you could have done significantly better it's sometimes worth restarting the process and taking a better claim all the way through to the tribunal.

Make sure to take care of your mental health and remember that it is designed to make you feel hopeless - any such feelings imply nothing about who you are, what you deserve as a person, and what you are entitled to from this process. Take your time and ask for help from those around you, if you need to, and remember that your worst case scenario here is materially identical to not following through. You have nothing to lose, plenty to gain, and your chances are better than you think right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might also break some horrible little DWP toerag's heart, and spite is almost worth more than money.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Well the DWP wrote back about the mandatory reconsideration on the IIDB benefit I applied for. They are sticking with their original decision.

Apparently not being able to work full time for over 10 years and not at all for five years (because of a condition they acknowledge that I have, that is lifelong and that was caused by a previous job) means I am only 4% disabled, and they refuse to move it up to a level where I'd be getting any financial help.

So congratulations me I guess; I am officially disabled, but not enough to get government support. Apparently I can appeal at tribunal, but I have absolutely zero faith that I would be listened to there either.

Contest their decision and don't let the bastards grind you down.

Listen to Spangly A.

--------

edit: regarding these travel rules; just remembered that the UK was well involved in creating all these 3rd country rules that they are now running afoul of. Irony.. thy name is Brexit.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 30, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I did jury service years ago and ended up foreperson on two cases.

It was interesting to say the least.

First was shoplifting case where two women between them had stuffed nearly the entire stock of a clothes shop down the back of a child's pushchair and claimed it fell there by accident. One of the women had some eyesight difficulties, but when she was called to the witness stand, she was walking quite happily to the dock and the way the court was arranged (it was a temporary building being used while the main court was being refurbished) the solicitors and barristers were located alongside the jurors. The barrister hissed to the solicitor - for heaven's sake go and help her! (She didn't need help which kind of undermined the defence argument!)

Also, in the jury room, two men refused point blank to even consider the evidence because they said no way were they going to say a woman with a child was guilty no matter what she'd done or what the evidence. Some of the women jurors tried to convince the men how impossible it is that a puffa jacket, sheets, duvet covers etc could 'accidentally' fall down behind the seat of a pushchair with a child sitting in it at the time.

The other case was a knifing (GBH not murder). Anyway, at the end after we'd made our verdict, the defence read out all the convictions the victim had for knifing too (which we had no knowledge of when we came to our conclusion -just as well as we would have been hopelessly prejudiced against the victim).

I did get called up for jury service a second time but wangled out of it somehow. How come I got 'invited' twice and most people never get called up. (Rhetorical question.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Umbra Dubium posted:

I'm going to choose to believe the latter is a direct consequence of the former.

Alas it's probably because I ticked the box that said "Yeah you're gonna have to pay me the maximum compensation" - I couldn't help but notice that every potential juror in a suit[1] got told they wouldn't be needed.

Anyway the best bit of the story is when they did the briefing prior to selection. First of all it was actually at the Old Bailey, which was cool, and then they realised there were too many people to fit into Court 19, where they normally do the briefing, so we all got to go into Court Number 1. I snagged a seat in the press benches just behind the dock and was then annoyed as things got crowded enough that some people got to sit up in the judge's benches (and the little throne behind the judge where the Lord Mayor can sit if he fancies popping along), but then more and more came in and there was some worried whispering from the clerks, until one of them went got up and said the magic words...

"Hi everyone, we've got a bit of a problem because there's just not enough space and we still have six people to fit in. Now we don't want to force anyone, so can we have some volunteers who are happy to sit in the dock?"

I swear to god my hand broke the sound barrier on it's way up, and I snagged the front seat (there's actually room for 7 or 8 defendants in there). It's not something that's obvious in photos (or TV shows) but the court really is laid out like an amphitheatre with the dock in place of the stage - everything is laid out facing it, and every single person in the room was suddenly staring right at me, and I had to fight the urge to shout "I AINT GOING DOWN[2] YOU SLAAAAGS" that bubbled up from the pie and mash bits of my very DNA.

[1] I wasn't in a suit of course, nobody was getting married or buried or marrying a corpse (and also I'd ridden in and I'm not Italian enough to get away with a suit on a motorbike), but without being classist it was pretty obvious from the clothes involved that the decision was at least partly based on how much this was going to cost them
[2] Fun fact - "going down" - in the sense of going to prison, get your mind out of the gutter - comes specifically from the Old Bailey which, with that weird Victorian obsession for efficiency, has staircases leading from cells directly below the court straight into the dock, and yet is used all over the country and all over the English-speaking world. Ditto judges using "Take them down" as an instruction to the guards to take the defendant to the cells, used all over the country even though it only applies to the original 8 courts in the Old Bailey (not even to the newer courts in the same complex).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Thanks all. I will probably take a few days over new year when nothing will be open and then apply in the new year. I think I did feel hopeless at first, but then like you say, that's the cruelty by design bit in action.

I'm also going to try and make a few appointments with my GP to see if there's anything helpful they can dig out of my medical history to back me up.

I assume it'll be a long process, I just worry that I'll turn up, argue my case, and then the DWP will point out a procedural technicality that makes my argument ineligible. Sort of like those people who try to Vicki Pollard their way out of things by talking about morality /' yeah but he said this' to a cop who absolutely does not give a poo poo unless it affects the technical points of the case.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Alas it's probably because I ticked the box that said "Yeah you're gonna have to pay me the maximum compensation" - I couldn't help but notice that every potential juror in a suit[1] got told they wouldn't be needed.

It would be the suit. People in suits can't be trusted to be sympathetic to the defendants. Same happened when I did jury service. I didn't get deselected probably because I was wearing a t-shirt with a skull or two on it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyway the best bit of the story is when they did the briefing prior to selection. First of all it was actually at the Old Bailey, which was cool, and then they realised there were too many people to fit into Court 19, where they normally do the briefing, so we all got to go into Court Number 1. I snagged a seat in the press benches just behind the dock and was then annoyed as things got crowded enough that some people got to sit up in the judge's benches (and the little throne behind the judge where the Lord Mayor can sit if he fancies popping along), but then more and more came in and there was some worried whispering from the clerks, until one of them went got up and said the magic words...

"Hi everyone, we've got a bit of a problem because there's just not enough space and we still have six people to fit in. Now we don't want to force anyone, so can we have some volunteers who are happy to sit in the dock?"

I swear to god my hand broke the sound barrier on it's way up, and I snagged the front seat (there's actually room for 7 or 8 defendants in there). It's not something that's obvious in photos (or TV shows) but the court really is laid out like an amphitheatre with the dock in place of the stage - everything is laid out facing it, and every single person in the room was suddenly staring right at me, and I had to fight the urge to shout "I AINT GOING DOWN[2] YOU SLAAAAGS" that bubbled up from the pie and mash bits of my very DNA.

[1] I wasn't in a suit of course, nobody was getting married or buried or marrying a corpse (and also I'd ridden in and I'm not Italian enough to get away with a suit on a motorbike), but without being classist it was pretty obvious from the clothes involved that the decision was at least partly based on how much this was going to cost them
[2] Fun fact - "going down" - in the sense of going to prison, get your mind out of the gutter - comes specifically from the Old Bailey which, with that weird Victorian obsession for efficiency, has staircases leading from cells directly below the court straight into the dock, and yet is used all over the country and all over the English-speaking world. Ditto judges using "Take them down" as an instruction to the guards to take the defendant to the cells, used all over the country even though it only applies to the original 8 courts in the Old Bailey (not even to the newer courts in the same complex).

Have you been to see witness for the prosecution? It’s in an old courthouse and for each performance there are 12 “jury tickets” on sale where you sit in the jurors’ seats and actually decide a verdict at the end. It’s great fun.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Andrew Neil is the most Saville vibed motherfucker on the planet.

He increasingly resembles one of the weird creatures in Naked Lunch. I half expect him to start having grotesque body-morphing intercourse with a fleshy, portillo shaped typewriter by early next year

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Tesseraction posted:

Would love to see what people like this would think if black comedians started doing whiteface and making fun of bigoted old gammons.

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LeJfn_qW0

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

Have you been to see witness for the prosecution? It’s in an old courthouse and for each performance there are 12 “jury tickets” on sale where you sit in the jurors’ seats and actually decide a verdict at the end. It’s great fun.

I remember reading about it and thinking it sounded interesting but that was in February last year and...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It would be the suit. People in suits can't be trusted to be sympathetic to the defendants. Same happened when I did jury service. I didn't get deselected probably because I was wearing a t-shirt with a skull or two on it.

I was in jeans, bike boots, and a Ben Sherman shirt under my leather jacket - it's possible that they only had trials of mods coming up and dismissed me on the grounds I'd be prejudiced against them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was in jeans, bike boots, and a Ben Sherman shirt under my leather jacket - it's possible that they only had trials of mods coming up and dismissed me on the grounds I'd be prejudiced against them.

Hm interesting. I understood from your earlier remark that you were in a suit.
Maybe it was a 'white collar crime' defendant and they only wanted suits to judge it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My grandmother used to say "going under the clock" for this because apparently the boro jail used to have a clock tower. Not sure if it refers to the cells under the town hall or not.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm one of those weird people who wouldn't mind getting called up for jury duty, which means either I never will, or I will get an incredibly boring fraud trial that lasts for months where everyone is an insufferable hedge fund manager.

A friend did jury duty a couple of years ago. It was a sex offence and the person was found guilty unanimously, but she genuinely got to hear an "it's what she was wearing" in the wild from a fellow juror.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hm interesting. I understood from your earlier remark that you were in a suit.
Maybe it was a 'white collar crime' defendant and they only wanted suits to judge it.

This was pre-selection - they know they're going to need, say, 5 juries but they invite 80 people knowing some people just won't turn up for whatever reason and then send 10 or 15 home, so they know they're going to have enough to cover everything - I and the suited ones were sent home before they'd even begun the first selection when literally all they knew about us was name, age, and how much they were going to have to pay out per day for our time.

(My company does have the option of letting you take it as free paid holiday, presumably just to avoid the paperwork with filling out the claim forms, but a couple of people had told me that you were much more likely to get sent home if you told them you'd need compensation - while I *was* sort-of interested in doing the duty, especially at the Old Bailey, I had some family issues at the time and would have been stressed as gently caress being out of contact all day, so I thought I'd give it a go.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When my father was alive he also apparently lived near the police station so he ended up in an awful lot of police lineups as apparently they would just go round the nearby houses looking for people who sort of fit the bill.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I assume it'll be a long process, I just worry that I'll turn up, argue my case, and then the DWP will point out a procedural technicality

My appeal process went like this:

Me: Please reconsider DWP, since your own evidence contradicts you.
DWP (mandatorily): No.
Tribunal judge (18 months later): Before we get down to it, DWP, doesn't your own evidence contradict you?
DWP: Yes it does, don't know what happened there, we concede.

They don't spend money on clever lawyers, they just know they'll win a percentage by dragging their feet.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I only got invited once (in Canada) and my work fully covers jury duty at 100% pay so I was all stoked

Arrived at the place to find the defendant had cut a deal the night before so it was cancelled

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

When my father was alive he also apparently lived near the police station so he ended up in an awful lot of police lineups as apparently they would just go round the nearby houses looking for people who sort of fit the bill.

How many times did he get picked out?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

How many times did he get picked out?

Not sure, never got to ask, alas.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lady Demelza posted:

I'm one of those weird people who wouldn't mind getting called up for jury duty, which means either I never will, or I will get an incredibly boring fraud trial that lasts for months where everyone is an insufferable hedge fund manager.

A friend did jury duty a couple of years ago. It was a sex offence and the person was found guilty unanimously, but she genuinely got to hear an "it's what she was wearing" in the wild from a fellow juror.

Brother was the only one ever called up.
And it was a really really boring fraud one involving two accountant firms.
Now he has a Masters in a subject that uses math a lot, and he said it was just tables of numbers, and trying to see where the numbers went wrong.

OwlFancier posted:

We can Sherlock deduce from this that either your dad was the most average of average looking bloke, or a shifty looking one :P

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

We can Sherlock deduce from this that either your dad was the most average of average looking bloke, or a shifty looking one :P

Sort of both, I think.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I did my first jury service recently & (afterthought, there's some bad poo poo in here so don't unspoiler) it was a nonce & the very expensive QC defence spent a full week aggressively cross-examining the literal child who had been repeatedly raped, it was like watching torture. Do not recommend, cried a lot.

Oh & there was a bunch of child pornography in the evidence that I guess they just didn't regard as being child pornography because it was so much tamer than the other poo poo that wasn't in the bundle, so there was a bunch of "& if the jury will just turn to page 17 oh great more child porn wtf is wrong with you people" :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, I used to work right next to Chiswick nick and was asked a couple of times if I fancied being in a parade but my boss would never let me have the time.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Thanks all. I will probably take a few days over new year when nothing will be open and then apply in the new year. I think I did feel hopeless at first, but then like you say, that's the cruelty by design bit in action.

I'm also going to try and make a few appointments with my GP to see if there's anything helpful they can dig out of my medical history to back me up.

I assume it'll be a long process, I just worry that I'll turn up, argue my case, and then the DWP will point out a procedural technicality that makes my argument ineligible. Sort of like those people who try to Vicki Pollard their way out of things by talking about morality /' yeah but he said this' to a cop who absolutely does not give a poo poo unless it affects the technical points of the case.

One of the limitations on the tribunals is that they can't really use new evidence - I'm not a lawyer and I have absolutely no idea if there are any qualifiers to that, but on the balance anything that stops the DWP stalking you and presenting ten minute clips from several weeks of PI footage to cast doubt is probably a rule in your favour.

If you get anything from the gp that casts strong doubt on the DWP's assessment that you can't otherwise easily dispute, or allows you to firm up part of your claim into a solid "I cannot do this task to the standards used to define disability", that's when you'd think about if you should restart. You work out what scores you need to get for the award, what score you can expect to get from what you've provided, and what margins you have between those. Don't waste your own time and (eventual) income redoing a perfectly sound claim over meaningless points, and don't walk into a tribunal with any unnecessary risk you'll regret not having something important.

The process takes a long time but it's really just two letters and a hearing. You get your acknowledgement and a rough backlog estimate, you eventually get your date, then you show up. You're not on trial, you aren't suing anyone, you aren't there to prove anything. You're there to tell the judge that you have an injury that prevents you from performing certain tasks in the manner, time, safety, skill, and comfort of the hypothetical able bodied peer, that you provided evidence to the DWP that supports this, and that the dwps estimation of your entitlement is not based on that evidence.

Finally, like oh dear me said, they have resigned thousands of tribunals before the claimant was asked to speak. It is purely about making you jump through hoops. If theyve accepted evidence that already justifies an award, and decided that they don't care about that, then they just want to see if they can intimidate you out of what they owe by putting you in a room with a judge.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm assuming - and hoping - OP is trying to write some fiction rather than sitting in the jury room waiting for our advice, in which case I'd say they'd be better off ignoring the above and just going with the dramatic option (complete with being shouted at by the judge).
Yes, fortunately. I've already written some lighthearted 'amateur detective with a gimmick' stories with the same main character, and the premise for this one is that he gets called for jury duty in a murder trial, which looks like an absolute slam-dunk conviction... until he spots something in the evidence that the police considered so trivial they ignored it, but with his esoteric knowledge he realises the whole case falls apart. The actual killer gave evidence that with the defendant innocent means they're the only other possible suspect. So he then has to convince the other jurors, and do his dramatic reveal after delivering the not guilty verdict.

It's not Rumpole, but I'd like to be at least vaguely realistic in the judge's reaction (I'm tempted to have the police open a new investigation against the real killer, but have my detective still get a week in pokey for contempt because the judge is a dick.)

I've done jury service in the past, but a lot of my memories of it have faded because of how boring the entire process is.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

It's also a really good mystery. Top tier Agatha Christie imo.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I did a couple of police line ups about 20 years ago. Back then there was a post inside the station where they would say what they were looking for and when to be at the station. Paid £10 a time.

Then they went to an email service to let you know when they were doing them and what type of person was needed.

As for getting chosen, they don't care if you are picked by the witness, only if the accused is chosen or not.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's going to be a lot of this sort of thing over the next few weeks
https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1476514977779535877

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
An acquaintance of mine has gone ACAB after finally getting his day 5 minutes in court, two years after he was arrested, when the prosecution solicitor questioning the sole eyewitness did the whole IS THIS THE VILLAIN YOU SEE BEFORE YOU and the guy said "I don't know".

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I remember reading about it and thinking it sounded interesting but that was in February last year and...

It was absolutely super. Pricey for the Jury tickets but I don’t regret it in the slightest.

I “got” the right answer seconds after I had given my decision as I suddenly realised it was the story that the Neil Gaiman story “a study in emerald” was a pastiche of.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 30, 2021

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Would love to see what people like this would think if black comedians started doing whiteface and making fun of bigoted old gammons.

Now this is a good idea

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also, in the jury room, two men refused point blank to even consider the evidence because they said no way were they going to say a woman with a child was guilty no matter what she'd done or what the evidence. Some of the women jurors tried to convince the men how impossible it is that a puffa jacket, sheets, duvet covers etc could 'accidentally' fall down behind the seat of a pushchair with a child sitting in it at the time.

Yeah if I somehow fell through a crack in space-time into a jury, I'd probably vote "not guilty" on any type of shoplifting offence or similar petty theft where nobody was hurt but some poor person managed to steal from The Man :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Now this is a good idea

Congratulations you've invented post-Beverly-Hills-Cop-2 Eddie Murphy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Has anyone got any experience with mobile phones that offer dual apps (eg two separate whatsapp accounts on one phone)?

After nearly 6 years, I finally need to get a new smartphone but I do not want my work whatsapp on the same number as my personal whatsapp (so I muted the work group months ago and 'hide' online).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I've been using Samsung's dual WhatsApp functionality for more than a year now; works fine. Both WhatsApps coexist without being aware of each other.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

jaete posted:

Now this is a good idea

Yeah if I somehow fell through a crack in space-time into a jury, I'd probably vote "not guilty" on any type of shoplifting offence or similar petty theft where nobody was hurt but some poor person managed to steal from The Man :colbert:

I'd like to think I would have a blanket "not guilty" response if the death penalty ever gets introduced, although if that happens they'll probably have done away with juries by then.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ronya posted:

I've been using Samsung's dual WhatsApp functionality for more than a year now; works fine. Both WhatsApps coexist without being aware of each other.

Which phone do you have, can I ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Has anyone got any experience with mobile phones that offer dual apps (eg two separate whatsapp accounts on one phone)?

After nearly 6 years, I finally need to get a new smartphone but I do not want my work whatsapp on the same number as my personal whatsapp (so I muted the work group months ago and 'hide' online).

I'm pretty sure that any device that's been used to send or receive messages related to your job can later be searched by your employer on the pretext that you might have stored confidential information on it. Best to have a cheapo second device for work purposes imo, then you can turn it off and chuck it into a drawer at the end of the work day.