Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

homullus posted:

I enjoy Eberron newspaper gnomes.

I mean that’s cheating, every D&D race is better in Eberron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glazius posted:

I mean, there was also this official promotional animated spot where a gnome was complaining about only making the MM cut, not the PHB, and a tiefling set his badger on fire.
No there was a promo where the gnome was stoked to be a monster and have a minion and a treasure package and then the teifling set the gnome on fire and took his treasure package.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 30, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Calico Heart posted:

lol what a loving nerd, gnomes rule evanescence elves drool

e: In all seriousness it may have been halflings that were cut? Basically one of the "fun" races was cut for a another stoney-faced, Very Cool and Serious elf spin-off
I'm a certified elf hater and I still do not understand what kind of elf you're talking about.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Eladrin were a sensible development because, much like wizards being a horrifying amalgsmate of everyone in all of fiction that's ever cast a spell, elves were every single fictional depiction of an elf rolled together. Separating at least the wood elf and high elf depictions out gives them a much more coherent racial fiction and identity.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yes, but they’re very serious, you see, and not comedy, unlike David the Gnome.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

potatocubed posted:

Just a side comment here. The friction with GW isn't 'how do I assemble and paint miniatures', it's having to assemble and paint the bloody things at all.

For a least a decent part of the player-base, that's not the friction, that's the game. A lot of these details that are getting written off as friction are, to at least a segment of the market, product differentiators that buyers look for.

For example: I play both warhammer tabletop and also Total War Warhammer. Total War Warhammer let's me play any army with any models I want with about 5-10 minutes of start up. Sometimes, though, I want the tactile feedback of actually pushing models around a table. And it was the art aspect of painting (with 10-15 different pots of paint) that drew me back in after a break in playing. I've got an entire faction complete army that I've never played with, I just like the painting/modeling aspect of the factio .

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Night10194 posted:

I am trying very hard to think of an RPG improved by gnomes, and I cannot.
the one ring would be better if it had angry edgy hubris-fuelled noldor but they're mostly dead or chilled out by that point in the timeline

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Did they go through with the idea of asking the players to use actual garden gnomes as “minis” to represent gnomes at fairy scale?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Splicer posted:

I'm a certified elf hater and I still do not understand what kind of elf you're talking about.

I do honestly think he is talking about tieflings and just can't tell the difference

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes, but they’re very serious, you see, and not comedy, unlike David the Gnome.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
David the Gnome was a respectable member of his community.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Talking bout Eladrin, the elves who are canonically sad and brooding for 1/4 of their lives and who in half their art look like they’re wearing tranchcoats

People itt who can’t appreciate a good gnome are shameful tbh like lol D&D is already the silliest hobby on earth just embrace it and enjoy playing a bunny bard or gnome paladin or FLUMPF

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

moths posted:

Organizer Play is a huge fix to this, actually. "Come the the LGS on Wednesday, we play D&D" is definitely a thing that WotC promotes, with absurd success.

My FLGS did try to open this to multiple games (although only mainstream ones) but the virus seriously limited it.

The problem with this is that RPG groups aren't like board games where they can re-form every week. If you're the gooseberry one week in an RPG session, you're that way for potentially several months.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 30, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Calico Heart posted:

Talking bout Eladrin, the elves who are canonically sad and brooding for 1/4 of their lives and who in half their art look like they’re wearing tranchcoats

People itt who can’t appreciate a good gnome are shameful tbh like lol D&D is already the silliest hobby on earth just embrace it and enjoy playing a bunny bard or gnome paladin or FLUMPF
this is a refreshing new strain of grog. I've never seen someone just make poo poo up about eladrin then when called on it say "lol you just take elfgame too seriously"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Calico Heart posted:

are you really sure the tack you wanna take is to claim everyone else is being too serious while you complain that you don't like hot topic elves

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

hyphz posted:

Did they go through with the idea of asking the players to use actual garden gnomes as “minis” to represent gnomes at fairy scale?

They did release official "mechanized" gnomes with all their war accoutrements (~5-6 inches tall), but I vaguely remember rules for garden gnomes, too. It's been a long while.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

like lol D&D is already the silliest hobby on earth

video game speed runs, collecting reborn dolls, and gnome supremacy seem sillier to me

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Can anyone explain to me how a gnome is different than a halfling in any way that actually matters.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why are you arguing with TheDiceMustRoll as if you're talking to a Hasbro rep? WotC are doing amazing with the terrible ways they're running now, I'm sure if things flag they'll come and get business advice from you. :cheers:

Better things aren't possible

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Can anyone explain to me how a gnome is different than a halfling in any way that actually matters.

Halflings are short humans who like eating 8 meals a day.

Gnomes are short humans who like doing steampunk super-science.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sounds like a halfling and a halfling nerd to me tbh

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
d&d gnomes and halflings tend towards different awful ethnic stereotypes

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Coolness Averted posted:

this is a refreshing new strain of grog. I've never seen someone just make poo poo up about eladrin then when called on it say "lol you just take elfgame too seriously"

Eladrin literally brood 1/4 of their lives because their emotions (and I think appearance) are tied to the season.

From limited time with 4e it looked like it was the edition where they were trying to distance themselves from D&D’s sillier routes which I think is more boring and also a sign of the era in which it was designed :shrug:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

Eladrin literally brood 1/4 of their lives because their emotions (and I think appearance) are tied to the season.

From limited time with 4e it looked like it was the edition where they were trying to distance themselves from D&D’s sillier routes which I think is more boring and also a sign of the era in which it was designed :shrug:
SAD is a real thing and very treatable with the right magical lighting

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

PharmerBoy posted:

For a least a decent part of the player-base, that's not the friction, that's the game. A lot of these details that are getting written off as friction are, to at least a segment of the market, product differentiators that buyers look for.

Yeah, that's a good point. I was being grumpy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Calico Heart posted:

It’s weird how you think that seasonal mood ring elves are somehow the opposite of silly

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

homullus posted:

video game speed runs, collecting reborn dolls, and gnome supremacy seem sillier to me

Video game speed runs own. Just watch any Summoning Salt video.

Ego Trip posted:

Better things aren't possible

Raise your hand if you want Wizards of the Coast to take up even more RPG oxygen than they already do.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Are you familiar with the concept of an example?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't know, could you illustrate it to me?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Calico Heart posted:

Are you sure you're not mixing up 4e Eladrin with 5e? 4e Eladrin were just high elves but given a distinction and reason to be treated differently from wood elves.
I can't find anything attaching them to seasons until 5e which looks like it combined them with wilden.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know, could you illustrate it to me?

Do you have an actual argument about why he's wrong or are you only bad faith noise posting?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ego Trip posted:

Do you have an actual argument about why he's wrong or are you only bad faith noise posting?

I think going at another poster like they're representing a company that they're just describing is bizarre. If TheDiceMustRoll were trying to break into the industry and not listening to critiques about the way their company is running, that would be another thing.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think going at another poster like they're representing a company that they're just describing is bizarre. If TheDiceMustRoll were trying to break into the industry and not listening to critiques about the way their company is running, that would be another thing.

:decorum:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:allbuttons:

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

You just said that you don't have anything to say about the argument, only the way in which it was delivered.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

get a room

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
edit: not worth it

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 30, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Being abrasive over differences of opinions about how major elfgames' are being managed is loving dumb as hell.

Being Abrasive over a new loving elf being added instead of gnomes is 100% valid and on brand for this forum. I personally encourage it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Calico Heart posted:

Man, this is the edition where you can be a quadruple vampire if you put your mind to it.

I think you paid too much attention to idiots edition warring back in like 2009-2010.

Gnomes weren't in the PHB1 probably both because they were really dumb extras in 1e through 3.5e, and partly because they needed more development time in the oven to make them at all good with an identity beyond 'those dwarves or maybe halflings who can be illusionists'

e: Oh and 'who can talk to moles and groundhogs for some reason' - I forgot that crucial bit of gnomonic identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Are you sure you're not mixing up 4e Eladrin with 5e? 4e Eladrin were just high elves but given a distinction and reason to be treated differently from wood elves.
I can't find anything attaching them to seasons until 5e which looks like it combined them with wilden.

In a truly shocking twist, the person complaining about 4E has in fact not read 4E.