Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mmm, yes, this is real nice.

Suburban Dad posted:

I told them not to wash the GTI I was buying. They did anyway. More work for them and me. :v:

This reminds me of when I bought my 2016 GTI new. They don't come predrilled for plates or anything and the dealer made a fuckin mess of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Same. I told them not to drill for the front plates in my GTI, I was going to get a tow hook mount. They did it anyways and when I complained they said they wouldn't replace the bumper with their lovely drill holes in it.

Dealerships suck.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

BlackMK4 posted:

This reminds me of when I bought my 2016 GTI new. They don't come predrilled for plates or anything and the dealer made a fuckin mess of it.

Same thing happened to my Scat Pack, put the front plate on at an angle after drilling holes in the brand new bumper. I swapped it for one that mounts under the bumper and had the holes filled and painted. They kept calling reminding me of services and I told them why would I let them touch my car when they drilled into it with a complete lack of attention to detail?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BlackMK4 posted:

Mmm, yes, this is real nice.

Yeah there are two nasty holes in the front grill from the dealer drilling it at some point. I'm debating buying something like the CarbonMiata grill.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

chrisgt posted:

VISIBLE CONFUSION??

This tells me that either if you take the screw out it falls into the door and jams something more important than the door lock on a $500 car, or the keys don't work on the doors and the previous owner got tired of absentmindedly locking himself out.

E: whoops I guess I'm 19 pages behind

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

This tells me that either if you take the screw out it falls into the door and jams something more important than the door lock on a $500 car, or the keys don't work on the doors and the previous owner got tired of absentmindedly locking himself out.

E: whoops I guess I'm 19 pages behind

The issue is that the door handle was broken off and held half open with sheet rock screws.
Once i replaced the door handle (since broken door handles fail tech for rallycross), the lock started working. Which is great since I only use it for racing and thus don't need door locks...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Freezing rain making a mess, and then tooling around the block as the snow got even heavier, headed back home in opposite direction from normal:
Partner - "How are you gonna turn around to park though?"
Self - *turns PSM off* :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

our new (to us) ride

delivered via vroom last month

2018 tiguan SEL

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

Dealerships suck.

Wife had a 2021 Honda Accord with about 5k miles on it get torn up under a recall earlier this year. They backed it out with the right rear door open and whoops! Then they did a poo poo job of fixing it and left water damage on the back seat.

They took care of her eventually but they were definitely trying to get an easy way out with her before we both went to talk to them together. That poo poo burns her up and is so aggravating to experience as a father of two daughters.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Leperflesh posted:

our new (to us) ride

delivered via vroom last month

2018 tiguan SEL

How was working with vroom?
I posted the Volvo we got before through Carvana and it was a nice, pleasant experience. Wild that a business can exist solely on the fact that dealerships blow so badly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

I posted the Volvo we got before through Carvana and it was a nice, pleasant experience.

Did they deliver a title in a reasonable timeframe?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That and registration are the after-sales issues. I have a few friends that work for them and there are some interesting stories.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

KakerMix posted:

How was working with vroom?
I posted the Volvo we got before through Carvana and it was a nice, pleasant experience. Wild that a business can exist solely on the fact that dealerships blow so badly.

At first, it was good. Shopping was good, completing the sale on the phone with a rep was good.

However. Other than guessing based on the delivery charge, there was no indication we were buying an out-of-state vehicle. It was delivered six days earlier than estimated, which isn't a super problem. But then we got emails telling us we needed to submit paperwork, including a VIN inspection at the DMV, but we hadn't received the paperwork to submit. Even though it's advertised as handling registration for us, actually, we'll have to do VIN inspection and smog ourselves. I called after a while, was on hold for ages and then cut off, was on hold again for ages and used the "call me back when an agent is free" option and they didn't call back, and finally called a third time a couple days later and got through.

That rep assured me that we had lots of time to complete registration (the current temp texas paper plate things say Jan 26 on them), and if we didn't in time, they could extend the temporary registration as well. He also told me that the licensing dept. had accidentally not shipped me the paperwork, and that he'd send them a note to do it and to give me tracking. That was two weeks ago and I still don't have the paperwork, or a tracking number.

The impression I get is that they're super busy and overcommitted. I'm not panicking, but I am a bit annoyed to have paid basically dealership price, plus shipping, plus tack-on fees, and here we are about a month later and the car is still not registered in California.

That said: the vehicle is exactly as represented, in very good shape. Delivery process went smoothly. We love it. I'd suggest if you do shop with Vroom, find out before you buy if the car's coming from out of state, and if so, find out what the registration process will be for your state. It might be less hassle to buy locally, even from a dealership, who can have you registered with DMV same-day.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

meatpimp posted:

They are getting sued again for not delivering titles to customers. Most of the time it is fine but stuff gets lost a non zero amount of the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leperflesh posted:

The impression I get is that they're super busy and overcommitted. I'm not panicking, but I am a bit annoyed to have paid basically dealership price, plus shipping, plus tack-on fees, and here we are about a month later and the car is still not registered in California.

Both vroom and carvana seem to be understaffed. I have a virtual interview with Carvana on Wednesday but after hearing some horror stories I'm not really keen on it anymore.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Having worked in the “tech” car sales industry don’t take those jobs. Or really any company who calls themselves a “tech” company but just took a thing that people do and put it on then internet!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it sounds crappy now. I'm just trying to pivot into a wfh job now that I'm ready to work again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

meatpimp posted:

Yeah we got the title in less that two weeks after we bought it, which is right in line when we, as dealers, can usually get the title out to our customers based on how long the DMV can take. I hadn't heard about not getting the titles at all so I skated through without issue.

Leperflesh posted:

At first, it was good. Shopping was good, completing the sale on the phone with a rep was good.

However. Other than guessing based on the delivery charge, there was no indication we were buying an out-of-state vehicle. It was delivered six days earlier than estimated, which isn't a super problem. But then we got emails telling us we needed to submit paperwork, including a VIN inspection at the DMV, but we hadn't received the paperwork to submit. Even though it's advertised as handling registration for us, actually, we'll have to do VIN inspection and smog ourselves. I called after a while, was on hold for ages and then cut off, was on hold again for ages and used the "call me back when an agent is free" option and they didn't call back, and finally called a third time a couple days later and got through.

That rep assured me that we had lots of time to complete registration (the current temp texas paper plate things say Jan 26 on them), and if we didn't in time, they could extend the temporary registration as well. He also told me that the licensing dept. had accidentally not shipped me the paperwork, and that he'd send them a note to do it and to give me tracking. That was two weeks ago and I still don't have the paperwork, or a tracking number.

That said: the vehicle is exactly as represented, in very good shape. Delivery process went smoothly. We love it. I'd suggest if you do shop with Vroom, find out before you buy if the car's coming from out of state, and if so, find out what the registration process will be for your state. It might be less hassle to buy locally, even from a dealership, who can have you registered with DMV same-day.

This is curious too because, at least with Carvana, they had the indication on where the vehicle was and a Carfax attached to every one letting you know where it had been and as a consequence, what state the title was currently in. Plus the front wasn't ever drilled in, only a few states allow such hubris :cool:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually the carfax was available, it was completely clean though so I didn't look too closely. It's just not spelled out in the listing, and i was surprised the sales guy didn't mention it until after we'd wired our deposit and were discussing next steps.

e. The listing also didn't mention a trailer hitch had been installed and it wasn't visible in the pictures, which was a surprise savings because I.was budgeting to get one installed. I still need the wiring. But if someone didn't want that hitch, they'd have been surprised, maybe unpleasantly.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 28, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rhyno posted:

Both vroom and carvana seem to be understaffed. I have a virtual interview with Carvana on Wednesday but after hearing some horror stories I'm not really keen on it anymore.

"get scrappy" seems to be an internal motto over there

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My vroom paperwork arrived via fedex this morning. They never gave me a tracking number but whatever. it's a bit confusing. There seems to be a title transfer doc here too, but it doesn't have the VIN filled in (I guess I can just write it in?) and it doesn't say in the packet if they expect me to send them the actual doc for them to complete but I think it must do, because they didn't sign the seller/agent line. They also dated my signature line with the 11/26 date of original sale, but that's not when I'm signing it, probably doesn't matter but hmm. "Get scrappy" really does feel accurate here, it all just feels slightly half-assed.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Put myself on the list for a Lotus Emira:

Dealer reckons I'll get mine sometime around fall of next year to very early 2023, and should know more when allocations start getting sent out soon.

Getting the supercharged V6 with a manual transmission of course. Blue with yellow calipers like the pic. Tan interior and sport suspension set up. Not sure yet if I want the black top as pictured or body colored (with the wheels I'm going to get):

I'll likely have a custom printed vinyl wrap I'll be designing for it put on.

Was told the take rate for the manual is ~40%, 30% for V6 auto, 30% for i4 auto.

Pretty sure this is going to be one the final new sports cars you can get with a manual transmission. Especially one that's mid-engine. Cayman/Boxster and if you count it 911 are the only others I can think of.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hell yeah. What a beautiful thing!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love Lotus's (Lotuses? Loti?) so much. I have an 83 Esprit Turbo sitting in an old airportT hangar with a cracked header among other things. Someday I'll have a proper garage where I can keep and work on it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Oh god I got another one

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Not sure yet if I want the black top as pictured or body colored (with the wheels I'm going to get):

Gorgeous!!

Voting black top 1000%

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I am so jealous. I hope to own one of these someday. I prefer the black top but I can see the argument for body color with those wheels.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rolo posted:

I love Lotus's (Lotuses? Loti?) so much. I have an 83 Esprit Turbo sitting in an old airportT hangar with a cracked header among other things. Someday I'll have a proper garage where I can keep and work on it.

Where are the pics of this???

That blue one sure looks purty.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I like the black top too, but either way that is one gorgeous car.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I love it in green too. A lot

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Suburban Dad posted:

Where are the pics of this???

On a dead laptop I still haven't pulled the drive from :(

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah I'm kind of going back and forth on body color top vs. black. I will likely go with body color simply because if I want it to be black, I just wrap it for super cheap, whereas if I get the black I cannot easily wrap it to actually match the paint. It does have the effect of making the car look even lower though which is cool.

I was torn between the blue and green, but after seeing samples at the dealer the green is just too dark, and will end up looking black most of the time. The blue really brings out the curves on it. Also I will likely get the wheels powder coated bronze or copper.

Something like this:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Turbo Fondant posted:

Oh god I got another one

GMT800 for lief.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Dealer reckons I'll get mine sometime around fall of next year to very early 2023, and should know more when allocations start getting sent out soon.

Getting the supercharged V6 with a manual transmission of course. Blue with yellow calipers like the pic. Tan interior and sport suspension set up. Not sure yet if I want the black top as pictured or body colored (with the wheels I'm going to get):

Was told the take rate for the manual is ~40%, 30% for V6 auto, 30% for i4 auto.

Pretty sure this is going to be one the final new sports cars you can get with a manual transmission. Especially one that's mid-engine. Cayman/Boxster and if you count it 911 are the only others I can think of.

gently caress yes.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
awoooooooga!

The black top looks slick as hell, you can't go wrong

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Yeah I'm kind of going back and forth on body color top vs. black. I will likely go with body color simply because if I want it to be black, I just wrap it for super cheap, whereas if I get the black I cannot easily wrap it to actually match the paint. It does have the effect of making the car look even lower though which is cool.

I was torn between the blue and green, but after seeing samples at the dealer the green is just too dark, and will end up looking black most of the time. The blue really brings out the curves on it. Also I will likely get the wheels powder coated bronze or copper.

Something like this:

I'm voting for black roof, but I think the body color roof + wrap is a good strategy to get there.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I like the blue everywhere, but whatever blows your hair back.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

meatpimp posted:

GMT800 for lief.

Yup. And now that I've got one that's mostly not terrible I'm ordering all the parts I wanted to put on the old one but didn't because it wasn't worth putting on a shitbox.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Hell yes. These look so rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX-n-KK50cE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I like the black top but only because it reminds me of a Corvette's tinted fiberglass targa. Since it sadly isn't I'd probably just get the blue.