Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostnuke posted:

I've watched Prometheus and AvP recently and I'm confused. Does one retcon the other? Both movies claim their version of Weyland is the original founder of The Company. But from what I understand, if AvP is correct then Prometheus can't have happened. And if Prometheus is correct, then AvP can't have happened.

"Canon" is stupid bullshit for lunatics. Don't worry about it and just enjoy what is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Different continuities. AvP is just this... thing which takes place completely outside of the Alien and Predator series, even if Lance Henriksen is in it. Any of those 'X vs Y' things are.

A bit like how Quake III smashes everything into one big gunfight but has no bearing on anything outside of Quake III.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vitruvian Manic posted:

"Canon" is stupid bullshit for lunatics. Don't worry about it and just enjoy what is cool.

:hmmyes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I was recently thinking about an essay I wrote back when I was university about the Alien films. I wish my hard drive didn't swallow it when a previous computer, in pre-cloud storage days, killed itself. I've got a hard copy floating around somewhere, but I'll be hosed if I can find the bloody thing.

It focused on post and trans-human sexuality in cinema and its use as a defining point of difference and a means of establishing a threat.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My son got the board game for xmas so we're gonna give that a run soon. I'll see if I can post a review

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BiggerBoat posted:

My son got the board game for xmas so we're gonna give that a run soon. I'll see if I can post a review

If it's Fate of the Nostromo you're gonna have a good time.

It's even got a solo mode.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

If it's Fate of the Nostromo you're gonna have a good time.

It's even got a solo mode.

It is. Cool.

I remember some people posting about it back in the thread and IIRC it had a Jones figurine but my game doesn't so I guess someone just threw a plastic orange cat on the board. Which is awesome.

Time to go dig through my kid's toy bin and find me a cat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't have any friends to play games with so I don't have an excuse to buy myself cool board games.

I never thought about starting a family to do that. :thunk:

edogawa rando posted:

I was recently thinking about an essay I wrote back when I was university about the Alien films. I wish my hard drive didn't swallow it when a previous computer, in pre-cloud storage days, killed itself. I've got a hard copy floating around somewhere, but I'll be hosed if I can find the bloody thing.

It focused on post and trans-human sexuality in cinema and its use as a defining point of difference and a means of establishing a threat.

I was told to ask you about your school girl fetish. Please don't hold back.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't have any friends to play games with so I don't have an excuse to buy myself cool board games.

I never thought about starting a family to do that. :thunk:

Let's keep this on topic

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I swear to god I was going to google "school girl xenomorph" because I KNEW there would be something but I thought better of it.

I'm glad you pulled through.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I teach at a Catholic girls' school, and someone took issue with this, I guess.

Anyway, I wrote a piece about how in science fiction, sexuality was often used as a way of defining a non/post/trans-human as a threat, and for them, it was entirely a mechanical exercise for the purposes of reproduction, rather than recreation. The reproduction also occurs almost exclusively via rape, e.g., the Xeno reproductive cycle.

Each film is also influenced by some aspect of our sexual hangups and mores, such as rape anxiety and deviation from "normalcy" in a heteronormative society (e.g., Riply-8 and Call in Alien: Resurrection).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

edogawa rando posted:

I teach at a Catholic girls' school, and someone took issue with this, I guess.

That's kinda creepy on the other poster's behalf.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Huh. You know that "didn't happen, sadly" story about James Cameron going into a pitch meeting and writing "Alien$" on the board in stages? Well in an interview with CinemaBlend he just said it really did happen after all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well I pirated Aliens so...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I was thinking about aliens this afternoon as I drove a tractor through a herd of cows and realized the running directly in the path of an oncoming object is no longer the dumbest thing in Prometheus.

Provided you aren't any smarter than the cows I rear ended.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xenomrph posted:

That’s awesome that they’re still supporting that game with DLC and content.

That's also awesome because I just picked it up on the Steam sale. It came with the Zero Day DLC and comic, and sure, I'll pick up the new one. I've paid more for significantly worse Terminator video games.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

tactlessbastard posted:

I was thinking about aliens this afternoon as I drove a tractor through a herd of cows and realized the running directly in the path of an oncoming object is no longer the dumbest thing in Prometheus.

Provided you aren't any smarter than the cows I rear ended.

james bond runs from things in a straight line and he went to oxford

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

You can play this one solo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That makes me a bit depressed. Playing a board game alone.

Actually, I have a nephew that'd absolutely play with me. What's the name of the game again? Where do you get it?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Actually, I have a nephew that'd absolutely play with me. What's the name of the game again? Where do you get it?

Fate of the Nostromo is the good solo (or multiplayer) Alien game.

Aliens (1989) by Leading Edge Games if you want a good solo (or multiplayer) Aliens game.

Both of them are on Tabletop Simulator if you want to just try them out.

(A few months back I posted about Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps which has the nice plastic dollies for the figures, but I struggle to recommend it as a game because it's... well it needs work. Not for casual interest.)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just bought Tabletop Simulator. I've been meaning to get it for a while but I don't know how it works. Can you just match up with people playing games or do you have to set up a game with friends?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I get that but Even if you're playing with other people it's still your team against the alien so the basics are the same. If nothing else, it'll help you get a handle on the rules and make it easy to teach your friends if you can find players.

No one ever wants to play board games with me either

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Good thing Skynet never watched any Cronenberg flicks.

'What if the gun was made of MEAT? And the bullets were TEETH? And the bones were their MONEY?'

I just wanted to repost and say I appreciated it

UP BUT NOT OUUUT

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
btw I have Tabletop Simulator now so if someone wants to play some Aliens board games.... let me know!!!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I just bought Tabletop Simulator. I've been meaning to get it for a while but I don't know how it works. Can you just match up with people playing games or do you have to set up a game with friends?

You can just match up with anyone (it'll auto-download required content if it's a Workshop mod), but any chance of playing a lot of stuff is a shot in the dark. Everyone's always playing loving poker for some reason.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

As a someone who has completed Alien Isolation many times I have to say it is remarkably satisfying getting to shred these pricks in seconds.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

btw I have Tabletop Simulator now so if someone wants to play some Aliens board games.... let me know!!!

:hmmyes:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I was Thinking About Aliens (the movie) and was wondering... if the marines hadn't gone into the hive on their initial foray to rescue colonists, would the Xenomorphs come across to attack?

Does the hive go dormant after a time or is there generally "patrol" activity? I assume that they have metabolic requirements so couldn't just roam around forever without some kind of food intake.

Newt mentions that they mostly come at night, but was she referring to the initial infestation or a continuing threat?

And yeah, somehow the dropship was attacked whilst the marines were in the hive so I guess there had to be some kind of roaming xeno.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
mistakenly got disney+ because i thought they dropped boba fett all at once so gently caress it, #ubetterbelieve the first movie im watching in 2022 is muthafuckin aliens in hd for the first time

come a long way from the vhs taped off the bbc back in the day

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Just another bug hunt.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I was Thinking About Aliens (the movie) and was wondering... if the marines hadn't gone into the hive on their initial foray to rescue colonists, would the Xenomorphs come across to attack?

Does the hive go dormant after a time or is there generally "patrol" activity? I assume that they have metabolic requirements so couldn't just roam around forever without some kind of food intake.

Newt mentions that they mostly come at night, but was she referring to the initial infestation or a continuing threat?

And yeah, somehow the dropship was attacked whilst the marines were in the hive so I guess there had to be some kind of roaming xeno.

In a deleted scene Bishop comes across one while he is in that tunnel thing trying to get to the satellite array thingy.
And that was no where near the main group.

And when the marines landed and went into the hive, and saw their first chest burster. This would imply the woman was only facehugged within the last 24 hours or so, using Kane's time frame.
We know she wasn't kept there trapped as the queen was pumping out eggs and there loads of them later, so eggs were not scarce, just hosts. So she was face hugged instantly she was caught.

So we can assume they were still looking around for more peeps while the marines landed, just not all of them. The majority were prob kept back to protect the queen, as they knew the colonists were fighting back but not knowing hoe many were left.

And they are basically batteries metabolically, probably have a fixed amount of energy they can exert in their lifetime, so makes sense to go dormant to save on that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I was deffo thinking about Alien on NYE, I watched the 4k version and it was absolutely glorious. Although the main new thing I noticed/took from it was the hilarious amount of beer cans in Parker and Brett's workspace.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I just watched Aliens with my nephew and noticed (unless my eyes are deceiving me) there are glowing pipes in the atmosphere processing plant when Ripley goes to get Newt which I’d never noticed before in probably 30 viewings.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I thought it was pretty clear (to me at least) that by a certain point the queen realizes the threat posed and/or started retaliating the moment the squad gets to or enters the hive and there just happened to be xenos hibernating in more than one area of the colony, hence why the dropship gets attacked around the same time as the hive ambush happens.

also re: newt I always interpreted that as trauma talking, as in that's been her experience as she lived through the aliens harvesting the rest of the colony. I didn't think she'd have any way to know one way or the other that by that point everyone was dead or strung up as hosts so there weren't going to be aliens coming out that night or something, it had just been her experience that they did during the time the colonists were still putting up some kind of resistance prior to the marines' arrival.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Torquemada posted:

I just watched Aliens with my nephew and noticed (unless my eyes are deceiving me) there are glowing pipes in the atmosphere processing plant when Ripley goes to get Newt which I’d never noticed before in probably 30 viewings.

He dig it?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Both blown away (14 and 12).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen