Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I didn't see anyone respond to this but the short answer is "Capitals". Caps are your friend when fighting ANY station/remnant cap. I generally won't swing into this fight without at least a Battlecruiser/battlecarrier capital with a heavy tanky cruiser backbone.

As far as tactics go "It depends on what you bring". If I have a battlecarrier I'm going to park it at torpedo release range and just let my bombers and guns go buck wild. More likely I'm driving a fast"Ish" battlecruiser with a lot of forward firepower from one of my mods so the name of the game is to dart in, delete a section then hide behind one of my tanky cruisers as the mods that run those ships tend to be VERY unforgiving to the flux pool in order to balance things and I don't want my shiny remnant/exotic tech filled BC to be blown the gently caress up in counter fire.

I will say there's about no way in heck I'd tackle them with just sixish cruisers though.

For stations this is correct but the cryoship Guardian is also weak to getting swarmed and hosed down with EMP damage. You do want some heavy guns to actually put the drat thing down though.

I also want to mention the avoid command which is good for when you're fighting a station plus a fleet. It can be a bit tricky to get the enemy fleet to commit without the station though so long range weapons to convince them helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The large ship effect and ballistic rangefinder can help extend the assault chaingun but my point was that the HMG gets a much higher base range than the chaingun can, which is then modified by ITU.

I suppose it is not really a big problem because it means the LAG still remains a good choice, I put LAGs on my hammerheads in the medium mounts simply because they fit well with the flux stats and are accurate out to a good range while also being good at doing consistent damage. Sometimes I will swap one for a heavy mortar if I need larger impact damage.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 30, 2021

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Raine posted:

let me chime in here with the Best Exploration Ship Ever Conceived (modded)

you get like 5 of these ships and become god

edit: and like 1 or 2 of these for your salvage needs

don't be shy, tell us the mod name

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

OwlFancier posted:

The large ship effect and ballistic rangefinder can help extend the assault chaingun but my point was that the HMG gets a much higher base range than the chaingun can, which is then modified by ITU.

I suppose it is not really a big problem because it means the LAG still remains a good choice, I put LAGs on my hammerheads in the medium mounts simply because they fit well with the flux stats and are accurate out to a good range while also being good at doing consistent damage. Sometimes I will swap one for a heavy mortar if I need larger impact damage.

IMO LAGs just lack the punch needed for anything over 500 armor.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

don't be shy, tell us the mod name

ED Shipyard, which recently got updated for 0.95.1a after a dev change.

As for logistics ships, I am partial to the Yonder from Survey Corps. No frills, just a Venture fused with an Apogee with none of the weapons and all of the surveying and sensors plus salvage gantry, 600 cargo and 900 fuel.
The Pioneer from Vayra's Ship Pack is also one I really like for Salvage Gantry and other utility. All of the prospecting ships in that pack are real nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taerkar posted:

IMO LAGs just lack the punch needed for anything over 500 armor.

Yeah that's why I switch to the mortar sometimes if I need to fight tougher stuff, I generally find the sheer weight of fire from the LAGs and ammo feeder works on most things short of lowtech cruisers, and that's mostly what I want the hammerheads for anyway, I have cruisers or capitals with hellbores or other large guns for dealing with heavier things.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I honestly rely on missiles or bombers for my explosive damage because it does seem very lacking unless you got large weapons like the thumper/mauler. The fact that i can get nearly unlimited torpedoes from bombers is why i went carrier heavy then focused everyone else on kinetics and some missiles to bring down shields or distract the enemy while those torps do all the heavy lifting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Torpedoes are the armour breaker par excellance, but they are situational and often require expensive kit like an astral to really work 100% of the time. If you fire off a volley from most things and it doesn't work, you're out of luck, so equipping your fleet to be capable of dishing it out with conventional guns is a good idea, I think. And there are plenty of ships capable of doing that, they're just generally bigger than what I would use a hammerhead for, the ammo feeder of course makes it contribute to any fight but I prefer to use it for bullying things of its own size or smaller, and thus equip it with lighter guns that benefit from the ammo feeder and good flux stats to operate more consistently than they can on a lighter ship.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

qnqnx posted:

ED Shipyard, which recently got updated for 0.95.1a after a dev change.

Hmm, that's neat. A few of those ships and drones in that pack are designed around repairing and resupplying allied ships. I don't think I've seen that before. I'll add it to my mod-pile.

E: Updated the link to point to the last page of that thread. The original author has not updated it to 0.95.1, but another modder has graciously stepped in. See that last page for usable download links.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 30, 2021

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

reminds me that I really ought to come up with more ships for my mini mod but :effort:

you have a starsector mod

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Logistics chat, I have recently rediscovered Hiigaran Descendants and fallen in love with this behemoth:

I cart two of those around and I'm set for supplies, a good chunk of fuel and enough troops for anything other than full invasions.

For comparison, here's the Atlas with the same cargo mods. Atlas is also obviously missing the +2 Burn mod (along with a poo poo load of useful sector mods)

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'm hesitant about a lot of the mods because they don't look balanced well at all. Almost every ship is better than vanilla and the last thing i want is to invalidate all of the vanilla ships. I love the concept of exploration ships though and the game really needs more jack of all trades ships tossed in esp for the logistics side. A capital class do everything ship geared towards burn rate and fuel consumption just makes a ton of sense--you wouldn't take a heavy commercial freighter into the unknown. I'd love the ability to create some remote mining stations too so you could toss some in remote empty systems to act as fuel dumps.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My favorite thing about Vayra's ship pack are the little miner/exploration ships. I really wish more of the mods available were just ship picks and less "ship pack but also overhaul/add gameplay mechanics and a bunch of random ill-balanced weapons" jumbles.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 30, 2021

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

tbf the starsector modding community is generally extremely scared to add in any ship more powerful than the Paragon, with a few exceptions

i think i downloaded a mod called cebby's ship pack or something that blatantly disregards this and adds extremely powerful and broken ships

one of which being the cursed Paradusa, a straight upgrade to the Paragon where the middle of the ship is filled in

edit: look at this thing

edit edit: lmfao

Raine fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 31, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arghy posted:

I'm hesitant about a lot of the mods because they don't look balanced well at all. Almost every ship is better than vanilla and the last thing i want is to invalidate all of the vanilla ships. I love the concept of exploration ships though and the game really needs more jack of all trades ships tossed in esp for the logistics side. A capital class do everything ship geared towards burn rate and fuel consumption just makes a ton of sense--you wouldn't take a heavy commercial freighter into the unknown. I'd love the ability to create some remote mining stations too so you could toss some in remote empty systems to act as fuel dumps.

Vanilla ships never really become redundant outside of the designated superships from mods and welp those are unique ships and of course they are better. I have a poo poo ton of mods and onslaught still give me pause, hounds are still speedy fuckers, Dominator still are an intimidating cruiser etc etc.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Arghy posted:

most of the big mods' ships aren't terribly unbalanced in AI hands, though few modders can resist packing in a bunch of fast ships with all forward-facing guns that the AI can't use effectively but are cartoonishly lethal in a human player's hands

more often than not the problem runs the other way, where all the modded ships that aren't clearly meant to be player flagships are just slightly worse copies of what's already in vanilla also every single weapon gets a slightly worse clone to make doing loadouts a chore

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure I've got 99% of all mods installed and yeah, a lot of vanilla stuff still gives me pause. Granted I'm pretty bad.

On the topic what are people's favorite modded ships? I've got try expanding beyond the usual vanilla setup. The Sajuu Khar from Hiigaran is great for living out my space battleship fantasy but I've never actually encountered it in game and have had to cheat it in.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kris xK posted:

I'm pretty sure I've got 99% of all mods installed and yeah, a lot of vanilla stuff still gives me pause. Granted I'm pretty bad.

On the topic what are people's favorite modded ships? I've got try expanding beyond the usual vanilla setup. The Sajuu Khar from Hiigaran is great for living out my space battleship fantasy but I've never actually encountered it in game and have had to cheat it in.

Kadur superdreadnaught.

Also the ziggaurat from base game is incredibly overpowered and also a spoiler if you haven't found it yet.

Also yeah all the weapons does become an issue because theres actually no way to figure out how a weapon performs if you haven tried it yourself. Things like firing speed, round speed, round size, impact force, aoe explosion size, tracking when combined with speed and so on are really really variable and ultimately change how you want to load your ships up.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 30, 2021

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Telsa Cola posted:

Kadur superdreadnaught.

still doesn't work, sadness

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Kris xK posted:

Edengate - actually, pretty much the entire Castigator lineage is great. Other than that, the super-heavy capital from Arkgneiss that has a sizeable amount of dakka-capability is also pretty fun, you can just point it at things and feel like you're in the middle of a BSG fight.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

i have recently encountered the best modded ship i have ever seen

the Cataclysm boss ship from Seeker. that png pulled from the files doesn't do it justice, each side has 3 modules all bristling with guns. the ship itself is fuckin MASSIVE as well

the ship system pulls in a targeted ship while doing flux damage

i faced this thing with 3 capitals and a bunch of smaller ships thinking i was gonna be fine and got absolutely destroyed. had to take it on later after i had too many capitals to fail

unfortunately it isn't recoverable or it would be the single most overpowered ship in the game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kris xK posted:

In general, I like ships with great mobility options or time acceleration systems, vanilla or not. Such like the Scarab or Odyssey vanilla, to the VIC Apollyon, the Seeker Voulge/Gawon or the SWP Chronos. Many phase ships, too.
I should play a run with Iron Shell ships, by what little I have played with them their more special ships are definitely my kind of jam.

Telsa Cola posted:

Kadur superdreadnaught.

Also the ziggaurat from base game is incredibly overpowered and also a spoiler if you haven't found it yet.

Also yeah all the weapons does become an issue because theres actually no way to figure out how a weapon performs if you haven tried it yourself. Things like firing speed, round speed, round size, impact force, aoe explosion size, tracking when combined with speed and so on are really really variable and ultimately change how you want to load your ships up.

And also a direct counter to endgame spoilers, that kind of powerful.
It feels like as wide the modiverse is regarding weapons, in the ballistic side I will usually circle back to HVDs and Heavy Maulers. On the energy side, the Toroidal Plasma Railguns from HTE have been a godsend to me.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

atelier morgan posted:

still doesn't work, sadness

Ship works, shield doesn't.

The shield system doesn't really work but the amount of armor and hull that thing has you don't really need it. I slammed that into the middle of an enemy fleet and it really didn't take that much damage at all, mostly because it kills things too fast.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lmao that the final boss of Seeker is just a Chaos Cruiser

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As others have pointed out, there is almost nothing in mods that is more powerful than a paragon with four tachyon lances stuck on it.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Lmao that the final boss of Seeker is just a Chaos Cruiser

:thunk:

gently caress i can't unsee this

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

How do you even field the zig though it's loving 75 DP's, i wanted to do a phase fleet with it but all of the phase ships are expensive as hell to field. I have 7 lv6 officers and 1 lv7 officer, my max deploy points are 240 but 270 vs stations so theoretically i could take it station busting if i personally pilot it.

I just found out about raiding stations haha why the hell haven't i done this sooner. I now raid the pirate/pather bases first then destroy them. Can i still trade with pirate stations after i raid them? I might take abuncha phase freighters as my primary trading vessels once i install abuncha cores so even if the hegemony wants me dead i'll be sneaky enough to still trade if i need the money. I'm waiting until i get 4 military bases before i install cores in everything but next play through i'm not gonna settle for anything less than 5 planets in a system because even seemingly lovely planets can host military bases that will ensure your system is unstoppable.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Raine posted:

It's a Nurgle ship too IIRC.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Raine posted:

You can't unsee it because that's literally what it is. It's intentional.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Telsa Cola posted:

Are there any good ways to think about weapons to be able to suss things out? Like ok, Kinetic good for shields, HE good for armor, Energy balanced, balance it all out so that you can blow up shields then armor. But once I start looking at accuracy and ROF and efficiency I get lost. Like dual light AC vs light AC vs railgun with a few points less cap/vents, no idea what is better. Do you just set stuff up and stick it in the test generator? SPeaking of which, any good standard ships to test against for that kind of thing?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

You can't unsee it because that's literally what it is. It's intentional.

ship is more badass now imo, i only have limited experience with 40k stuff so i didnt see it

also i looked into the specs of the ship, behold

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
so I got decent fleet going in my VIC game, but I haven’t really touched it in over a week. I grabbed the frigate supership that can teleport all over the place, and I decided hey, what if I put my reckless officer in this thing? Watching the AI use this thing is loving hilarious, literally just doing anime moves like teleporting behind ships and owning them and phasing through poo poo like a badass. I even took him to a huge station attack and I let him do work, walked away with not even a scratch. I got a fair bit of time now to continue and I’m pumped to see how baller I can make my officer to be tailored to its capabilities

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

Are there any good ways to think about weapons to be able to suss things out? Like ok, Kinetic good for shields, HE good for armor, Energy balanced, balance it all out so that you can blow up shields then armor. But once I start looking at accuracy and ROF and efficiency I get lost. Like dual light AC vs light AC vs railgun with a few points less cap/vents, no idea what is better. Do you just set stuff up and stick it in the test generator? SPeaking of which, any good standard ships to test against for that kind of thing?

I don't know the math exactly but against armor damage type isn't everything. I never use small explosive weapons because they do too little per-shot damage to scratch heavy armor. I also never use the pulse laser for the same reason.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Raine posted:

ship is more badass now imo, i only have limited experience with 40k stuff so i didnt see it

also i looked into the specs of the ship, behold

Haha it's literally a grand cruiser from 40k that's pretty funny.

I deleted my game and i'm starting over because i hosed too many things up. First take the 2 yellow tree salvage skills ASAP, you'll actually be getting excess fuel while exploring it's nuts. Second you can't retrain officers which is annoying so now i'm gonna just grab the fresh ones so i can really cater their skills from the onset. I'm gonna get 3 reckless officers for my capitals while the rest are just gonna be aggressive/steady with everyone having PD set to elite, that more flux skill, missile spec, gunnery implant, and the shield skill as a min.

Now that i know how freeport/hazard pay works i should be able to quickly spool up colonies so i can drop all the pather magnet stuff in quick succession once my colonies are size 5. I still don't know about mods i'm gonna look before i start again but i haven't seen a ship set one that i feel is balanced enough. The homeworld themed one has way too powerful ships that just invalidate all the vanilla ships--of course i'm gonna get those combo super freighter/tankers why wouldn't i they're miles better.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arghy posted:

How do you even field the zig though it's loving 75 DP's, i wanted to do a phase fleet with it but all of the phase ships are expensive as hell to field. I have 7 lv6 officers and 1 lv7 officer, my max deploy points are 240 but 270 vs stations so theoretically i could take it station busting if i personally pilot it.

I just found out about raiding stations haha why the hell haven't i done this sooner. I now raid the pirate/pather bases first then destroy them. Can i still trade with pirate stations after i raid them? I might take abuncha phase freighters as my primary trading vessels once i install abuncha cores so even if the hegemony wants me dead i'll be sneaky enough to still trade if i need the money. I'm waiting until i get 4 military bases before i install cores in everything but next play through i'm not gonna settle for anything less than 5 planets in a system because even seemingly lovely planets can host military bases that will ensure your system is unstoppable.

75 DPs means you can field it and another capital at the start with a very light screen of frigates. My fleet build uses hyper fast frigates like wolves and hounds which are also fairly cheap so I can deploy them and then cap buoys, which give me enough points to then deploy a cruiser or two, some destroyers, or more frigates. Depending on your enemy this should be more than enough to wipe their fleet, as the zig and say an onslaught or whatever are going to chew through a whole of poo poo.

The Kadur superdreadnaught is 90 DP, I field that and a 50 DP carrier and then like 2 wolves. The wolves cap the buoys I call in two gryphons. That basically keeps everybody on the Back foot and since I'm running a 30 ship fleet if anything blows up I can just constantly port ships in.

quote:

The homeworld themed one has way too powerful ships that just invalidate all the vanilla ships--of course i'm gonna get those combo super freighter/tankers why wouldn't i they're miles better.

Probably because its likely stupid expensive and above and beyond the price range of an Atlas with lower avalibilty. Meaning you either dump a gently caress ton of cash into buying one, or get the tech print and build one.

Both of which mean that supplies and fuel are not really an issue for you at that stage in the game and that its more of a timesaving thing. Like, sure I can spend a whole bunch of time shuttling back and forth doing fuel and supply refuel but I have been playing this game since it came out years ago and that poo poo is incredibly incredibly boring. Which is why I have adjusted the fast forward time in the settings and also go the hyperspace mod.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 31, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How do I not let losing frigates bother me? Is the answer just to build my own colony so I can mass produce them?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dabir posted:

How do I not let losing frigates bother me? Is the answer just to build my own colony so I can mass produce them?

Theres a skill where basically everything that blows up is pretty much always recoverable. If you have your own colony then the supply access to repair them is really a non issue.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Dabir posted:

The dmod removing skill allows you to almost never get Dmods and you can salvage them back for the cost of repairing them. Grab the faster repair skill and you'll save even more supplies/time but getting them at 50% repair from the start.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

or just don't use frigates. I run with lots of carriers to do basically the harassing job of frigates with even larger range and to not care if they get blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Go for that last yellow skill where you get everything with an officer back and slot them in. Losing a rare ship sucks regardless

Any advice on using a timid officer? I got a lvl 7 one so don't want to dismiss but they're worse then cautios