Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Killswitch posted:

I can understand the need for approval, you can’t just have an entire team/department go on leave at the same time.

But, it’s loving theft to not allow rollover or payout on PTO

Yeah that’s why I said a and b, if it needs approval then it should not be designed such that you lose out on compensation when your boss says no. Hell that sets up a perverse incentive to deny usage. I’m sure there’s bean counters out there scoring managers badly for letting their employees use too much sick or vacation or whatever time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Heh I think I misread what you wrote there. Sorry!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:chefskiss:

Absolutely beautiful schadenfreude.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I love how there s calvelade of emotional blackmail and no attempt to negotiate until op dropped a huge number. Like they still don't understand that you can buy poo poo with emotions and feelings.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
antiwork like most of reddit is full of creative writing exercises but I want to believe this one is real.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

I don’t understand how it’s legal to have pto benefits that
a: need approval for use
And
b: are lost when not used

Because at that point they are literally stealing your compensation when they just deny your pto requests.
It's legal because :capitalism: - companies are not legally required to give you ANY PTO, so they can set any rules they want and make it disappear tomorrow if they choose.

Of course, in this case, the PTO policy is kind of a red herring. OP could have gotten the PTO approved months ago and had it engraved on stone tablets like the Ten Commandments...and the company STILL would have expected OP to suddenly cancel their vacation because something something client needs.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

MagusofStars posted:

Of course, in this case, the PTO policy is kind of a red herring. OP could have gotten the PTO approved months ago and had it engraved on stone tablets like the Ten Commandments...and the company STILL would have expected OP to suddenly cancel their vacation because something something client needs.
That's the impression I got from his post.

That in the final two weeks (when he wasn't getting ABC company's data) he was reminding the company that he was going to be off and either push for the data or get someone to do the work for him.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

This is a wonderful example of a manager not understanding that he no longer has any bargaining power what so ever and the other party is fully aware of it. It's a perfect illustration of denial and refusal to accept a new reality.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The only issue is the worker is too decorum poisoned to not respond exclusively with memes or "wow, sucks for you, hope you learn to be a better manager in the future" and burn that bridge.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Verdugo posted:

antiwork like most of reddit is full of creative writing exercises but I want to believe this one is real.
Even if its stdh its totally accurate to the industry. There's a ton of IT shops full of managers who have only ever managed during the great recession coupled with an era of IT where we were still figuring out what we could and couldn't outsource. Their go to playbook is "hmm would be a shame if you were laid off" and they are completely short circuited by the labor shortage right now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cthulu Carl posted:

The only issue is the worker is too decorum poisoned to not respond exclusively with memes or "wow, sucks for you, hope you learn to be a better manager in the future" and burn that bridge.

Nah, 'I'm not responding to any further dialogue until I see my current outstanding wages and a $2,000 bonus in my bank account' and keep repeating that until they break.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

In my experience people who never take vacation are usually stealing or hiding a massive fuckup so they're afraid to let anyone see their work when they aren't there.

Why any company would want to normalize this is beyond me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

evilpicard posted:

In my experience people who never take vacation are usually stealing or hiding a massive fuckup so they're afraid to let anyone see their work when they aren't there.

Managers are dumb.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

evilpicard posted:

Or they're boomers. My boss didn't take any vacation for his first two years with the company because "they've done so much for me". He took his first week off earlier in the year, but he still responded to emails, made phone calls, and sent Teams messages. He took off the last three weeks of the year, but the same thing. He doesn't put his PTO on his calendar or set an out of office reply, so people aren't afraid to reach out to him.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

evilpicard posted:

Some old school companies had their employees by the throat with the old pension system. I have heard stories from older coworkers about demands placed on them when they were on vacation. Having to come back from out of state to fix something, or be on the phone non-stop due to some issue cropping up. It was partly just the threat of being fired, and also the threat of your pension going away. So I am sure a lot of people just didn’t bother doing anything more than taking a random day here or there. Why go anywhere if there is the likelihood of getting called back into work.

Funny thing is that since they have ended the annuity pension plan for most of the employees, they no longer have nearly the leverage they once did. And they seem surprised that they can’t seem to keep field supervisors around for any length of time. Or that no one wants to work crazy on-call hours or shift work.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

GI_Clutch posted:

Or they're boomers. My boss didn't take any vacation for his first two years with the company because "they've done so much for me". He took his first week off earlier in the year, but he still responded to emails, made phone calls, and sent Teams messages. He took off the last three weeks of the year, but the same thing. He doesn't put his PTO on his calendar or set an out of office reply, so people aren't afraid to reach out to him.
Same with a former boss, but he was a millennial.

When he'd take his once a year vacation, I'd do everything to shield others from bugging him or even openly saying, "Let's call/message Boss". There was never any issue on my side of the fence that couldn't wait for him to return in a week. Then I learned the manager in another department had pestered him with questions the whole time.

I ultimately blamed that manager less than the boss for allowing it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
We just switched to “unlimited PTO” at work (unless you want to use it for a doctor’s appointment which is expressly forbidden). Everyone but me was excited, because there’s always a catch. In this case it was “only if your manager approves it and also you have to ask off at least a month in advance and also you still have to do your job so we might bother you endlessly until you just give up and never take time off.”

We had a manager a few years ago who tried to deduct from his team’s (limited) PTO for paid company holidays, weeks where they logged under 50(!) hours, and even “poor performance.” His rationale was that he didn’t get time off in the decades he was in the Army (even though he loving did) and since all of his reports were younger than him, he thought it was his job to “toughen up” that whole generation by working them to death. He actually quit not too long after they told him he had to cut that poo poo out. I’m sure he’s sorry he did, because now he could just literally never let anyone have a day off, ever.

My favorite part about the “unlimited PTO” scam was the FAQ a few weeks later which answered the question “am I guaranteed any minimum amount of time off during the year?”

“No.”

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We have unlimited PTO here but we're also in the UK so we have a minimum number of days set down in law which is good.

Also we understand its not a market to gently caress people around so we just approve anything.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

evilpicard posted:

So much so that in some banking/finance jobs its mandatory that all employees take a certain length vacation each year. No coming to the building or logging in to systems. Its very hard to keep some embezzlement scheme going if someone else has to do your job for a while.00
=

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pekinduck posted:

So much so that in some banking/finance jobs its mandatory that all employees take a certain length vacation each year. No coming to the building or logging in to systems. Its very hard to keep some embezzlement scheme going if someone else has to do your job for a while.00
=

That's oddly clever.

'We're giving you a holiday because we don't trust you'

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

That's oddly clever.

It actually works really well. A lot of people stealing/scamming are only succeeding because they are the only one who knows how to do a thing. Soon as someone else is involved, they can bust it open. Also goes for a lot of accounting jobs too.

Talking to an auditor at work once, at a previous job one of the accounting people never took time off. Because she was stealing from the company, and only keeping ahead of being caught by handling all the money herself, she relied on kiting checks just enough to stay ahead of things.
Got busted when she fell ill, and a bunch of checks suddenly bounced.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Not my work, but my oldest son. He works on maintaining equipment for semiconductor fabs. The maintenance shop has recently got a new manager and 1 of 3 techs has already quit. The new manager pulled my kid into his office, inquired about his recent request for more money derisively and told him he wasn't worth what he was getting paid now.
Kid told him to gently caress off and started looked for jobs immediately. This was just a couple of days ago and he's got the first interview lined up on Thursday.

lmao eat poo poo

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some more dumb poo poo from my son's employer. Their automatic timekeeping system is down so employees are getting paid for their base shifts and now have to file for the extra hours worked during the 12 hour shifts for Christmas shutdown/maintenance.
Those hours won't be paid until two weeks after they'd normally show up.

I told him to submit tips to the federal Dept of Labor and Oregon DOL. Does anyone have any experience with this?

On top of all that, the employer isn't officially announcing it so people who don't know will be waiting even longer. What the gently caress.

Update on this. Kid got an offer today for 43% over what he's making at the fab in the quotes above, in a nice union job with $1k sign-on bonus.
He's typing up his notice right now.

LOL

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Pekinduck posted:

=

Was that introduced after Nick Leeson brought down Barings Bank?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CitizenKain posted:

It actually works really well. A lot of people stealing/scamming are only succeeding because they are the only one who knows how to do a thing. Soon as someone else is involved, they can bust it open. Also goes for a lot of accounting jobs too.

Talking to an auditor at work once, at a previous job one of the accounting people never took time off. Because she was stealing from the company, and only keeping ahead of being caught by handling all the money herself, she relied on kiting checks just enough to stay ahead of things.
Got busted when she fell ill, and a bunch of checks suddenly bounced.

Yeah that tracks. I could probably start embezzling a modest amount of money and probably juggle poo poo for a year or two before I got caught. It'd fall apart eventually and even if I was a piece of poo poo I really think it wouldn't be worth it in the long term.

I figure it's like trying to juggle several partners. Sure it's easy to start with but after a while it's too much effort to keep that going.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TotalLossBrain posted:

Update on this. Kid got an offer today for 43% over what he's making at the fab in the quotes above, in a nice union job with $1k sign-on bonus.

LOL
:sickos:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zopotantor posted:

Was that introduced after Nick Leeson brought down Barings Bank?

I think it was a response to the 2008 Société Générale trading loss, but if not, it wasn't too long after that.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

LOL
In my head, the notice starts off with “You know how you said I’m not worth what I’m being paid now? I have to admit, you were exactly right. Turns out I’m actually worth $X more.”

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Outrail posted:

That's oddly clever.

In the US the FDIC (I think it may only be highly suggested) it's required for financial institutions to have mandatory absence. Back in the olden days years ago when I was moving large amounts of money about different countries for a bank. As Peon it really pissed me off that I had 2 weeks of vacation, 1 of those weeks must be taken as a full week. Although the nice thing was.. you could NOT log in at all and do any work or talk about work to anyone, so no one could bother me. What would have really sucked was if I had stayed in that position long enough I would have had to take 2 full weeks if I had 3 weeks of vacation. I'm no longer in financial transaction businesses so I can take my vacation and sprinkle it wherever I want.

it's in place because basically.. "Someone else doing your job will know if you're hiding poo poo if they do it for long enough". Like if you're hiding a clients deposits and sending it your accounts, or stealking pennies adn you stop the process for a week or 2, and things suddenly look different in accounts etc the bank should be investigating.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had a boss embezzle 700,000 usd from McDonalds that only got caught because McDonalds decided to do a 10 year retroactive spending audit. She had cooked the books excellently and left the job and smoothly transitioned from the work away so it was no longer on going, but sadly couldn't fake enough paperwork for this audit.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Barudak posted:

I had a boss embezzle 700,000 usd from McDonalds that only got caught because McDonalds decided to do a 10 year retroactive spending audit. She had cooked the books excellently and left the job and smoothly transitioned from the work away so it was no longer on going, but sadly couldn't fake enough paperwork for this audit.

She quit when she was ahead? That’s awesome, from what I can tell most people just crime until they get caught, often upping amounts after they get away with it for a while. What was the fallout when this came to light?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the audit was probably triggered because she left and all of the sudden the same store was dropping way more money with no changes insightful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tater_salad posted:

the audit was probably triggered because she left and all of the sudden the same store was dropping way more money with no changes insightful.

Nah, Audit was kicked off 2 years later after she ended her scam, had moved to another company and another after that, and had nothing to do with her specifically, she was an accidental uncovery.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's just greedy, with nearly a stolen mil in the bank I sure as gently caress wouldn't be living anywhere that extradites to the US.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That's just greedy, with nearly a stolen mil in the bank I sure as gently caress wouldn't be living anywhere that extradites to the US.

People who embezzle money rarely keep it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

On December 2, 2021, I made a request to have Adobe Reader DC installed on my work computer so I can actually open the briefings and memos I get sent.

December 9, the ticket was assigned to a software analyst.

December 29, the software analyst sent an email to my supervisor asking for authorization for an employee to have a free PDF reader. Who knows what could come of this.

Shockingly, also on the 29th my supervisor approved it, and it was installed last night. (The 30th.)

So, 28 days, and an email chain with four people on it. For Adobe Reader.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

MrYenko posted:

On December 2, 2021, I made a request to have Adobe Reader DC installed on my work computer so I can actually open the briefings and memos I get sent.

December 9, the ticket was assigned to a software analyst.

December 29, the software analyst sent an email to my supervisor asking for authorization for an employee to have a free PDF reader. Who knows what could come of this.

Shockingly, also on the 29th my supervisor approved it, and it was installed last night. (The 30th.)

So, 28 days, and an email chain with four people on it. For Adobe Reader.

How in hell do you not have a default pdf reader just on general principles? How does everyone else read the briefings and memos?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BitBasher posted:

How in hell do you not have a default pdf reader just on general principles? How does everyone else read the briefings and memos?

There’s a room with like four or six “public” computers that most controllers use for our admin stuff. I’m on a detail in the training lab where I have “my own”computer, but it was recently replaced without transferring any of the software that had been present on the old machine.

Also only two of those computers will actually connect to the FAA intranet and access our admin stuff and CBI stuff. The other four are semi-permanently broken.

IT via lowest bidder.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The US has extradition treaties with almost everywhere an american would actually want to live. Your best option is to go to one of the countries that refuse to extradite their own citizens (a p long list with heavy-hitters like Germany, France, Norway and Japan on it) and become a citizen before people figure it out.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I think the most infamous example of a fraudster being caught due to being on vacation is Rita Crundell.

She was a town comptroller and stole $53 million over a few decades from her town and destroyed a lot of lives.

Theres a few documentaries on her - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAYtaFxlw3M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The US has extradition treaties with almost everywhere an american would actually want to live. Your best option is to go to one of the countries that refuse to extradite their own citizens (a p long list with heavy-hitters like Germany, France, Norway and Japan on it) and become a citizen before people figure it out.

Step 1.) Embezzle millions
Step 2.) Join the French Foreign Legion and get assigned a pseudonym
Step 3.) Don’t die for 5 years
Step 4.) gain French citizenship under new name
Step 5.) Spend your millions on baguettes and those long cigarettes