Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

As people run into the wall of things are not getting better they need to turn away from reality to handle it. It's why you've seen a progress from "It's just a cold bro" to " As you can see from these numbers I've gathered together that support what I want to believe it is most likely just a cold and if it is not a cold that's your fault."

You mean people see a disease that killed nearly a million Americans and decide that wasn’t enough for them and crawl through Twitter till they find things confirming this is actually doomsday and the virus is worse than THEY want you to know,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How come you are responding to a published study with a bunch of news opinion pieces and a who definition that doesn’t seem to say much of anything.

Vaccine wouldn’t prevent long Covid nothing can if you can just decide you have it. Vaccines can reduce and prevent symptoms but you can just declare you have long Covid and then you have it.

You are not smart enough to interpret that study, Dr. Google PhD, and the people who wrote that study think you, personally, OOCC, are an idiot for reading it this way.

Your posts are functionally identical to facebook shares from Alex Berensons''s blog, who also doesn't understand it, shared by people who also don't understand it.

Nobody is going to sufficiently explain this to you because you are not smart enough to realize your shortcomings.

Back on ignore you go.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You mean people see a disease that killed nearly a million Americans and decide that wasn’t enough for them and crawl through Twitter till they find things confirming this is actually doomsday and the virus is worse than THEY want you to know,

Dude you're arguing all long covid sufferers are psychosomatic based on studies who's conclusion is that long covid is hard to diagnose and more work needs to be done. That's toxic positivity.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jaxyon posted:

You are not smart enough to interpret that study, Dr. Google PhD, and the people who wrote that study think you, personally, OOCC, are an idiot for reading it this way.

Your posts are functionally identical to facebook shares from Alex Berensons''s blog, who also doesn't understand it, shared by people who also don't understand it.

Nobody is going to sufficiently explain this to you because you are not smart enough to realize your shortcomings.

Back on ignore you go.

No possible vaccine can prevent a disease that does not require being infected to contract.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the virus that has killed close to a million US citizens speaks for itself but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No possible vaccine can prevent a disease that does not require being infected to contract.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Long covid is chronic lyme part II.

Lyme disease is a real disease, it causes real long term damage to people.

Secondarily it is also an imaginary disease made up on the internet that had the smart idea to steal the name of a real disease to gain sympathy and make it sound indefensible to attack.

Long term symptoms of covid are clearly real. It's a serious illness. A vaccine can help prevent that.

Long covid is also simultaneously a vague potentially penis shrinking internet disease that does not require having covid to contract. And thus will never be helped by any vaccine.

Oof. drat dude this is pretty weird and pedantic. Good luck with that.

In better news: https://www.wsaw.com/2021/12/30/moderna-vaccine-trial-young-children-nears-finish-line/

quote:

Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine for kids six months to 5-years old could be the first one for that age group to get approval from the FDA.

“We hope to have those results available for the FDA and the other boards to look at some time toward the end of January,” said Dr. William Hartman, principle investigator for the UW-Moderna pediatric COVID-19 vaccine trial.

It’s then up to the FDA. Which means it could happen as soon as late February or early March.

Can’t wait for this. 2 more months feels like a lifetime with Omicron lurking around.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 30, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dude you're arguing all long covid sufferers are psychosomatic based on studies who's conclusion is that long covid is hard to diagnose and more work needs to be done. That's toxic positivity.

Long covid is chronic lyme part II.

Lyme disease is a real disease, it causes real long term damage to people.

Secondarily it is also an imaginary disease made up on the internet that had the smart idea to steal the name of a real disease to gain sympathy and make it sound indefensible to attack.

Long term symptoms of covid are clearly real. It's a serious illness. A vaccine can help prevent that.

Long covid is also simultaneously a vague potentially penis shrinking internet disease that does not require having covid to contract. And thus will never be helped by any vaccine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Uh, OOCC, some people are suffering long-term effects of COVID, you seem to be ignoring them.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah

https://www.reuters.com/article/fac...t-idUSL1N2S728P

You're reposting Alex Berenson facebook posts.

Why the gently caress did I take you off ignore? Why the gently caress are you allowed to post in this thread again?

This is incredibly troubling.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rust Martialis posted:

Uh, OOCC, some people are suffering long-term effects of COVID, you seem to be ignoring them.

Some people are suffering from long term damage of lyme disease as well! It's actually harmful to those people to take the word of "chronic lyme" charlatans because of the real people. Same with long covid. It's harmful when people huxter a fake disease onto a tragically real one.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's harmful when people huxter a fake disease onto a tragically real one.

Oh my. This is pretty bad.

I'm willing to eat another probe to say that the longer mods allow users to spend months downplaying the dangers of Covid, the more complicit they are to the deaths and long term health damage it's bringing.

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 30, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
*bangs fist on table*

thread-ban OOCC!

(again)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

*bangs fist on table*

thread-ban OOCC!

(again)

He's a very good poster.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Coldrice posted:

I'm willing to eat another probe to say that the longer mods allow users to spend months downplaying the dangers of Covid, the more complicit they are to the deaths and long term health damage it's bringing.

Believing fake claims about covid does not mean you care about covid more or make you more protected. If someone tells you covid shrinks your penis that doesn't make you brave and heroic to believe that. It's just some idiot on twitter capitalizing on the real threat of covid with their own dumb nonsense they made up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Long symptoms of covid are real but anyone with long covid is a faking grifter has been a cool ride. It never really touched the original question, if we know enough about the long term effects of covid with the vax to really say it's safe to start walking things back but yeah, been a fun ride.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Believing fake claims about covid does not mean you care about covid more or make you more protected. If someone tells you covid shrinks your penis that doesn't make you brave and heroic to believe that. It's just some idiot on twitter capitalizing on the real threat of covid with their own dumb nonsense they made up.

Alternatively, gently caress you

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

Long symptoms of covid are real but anyone with long covid is a faking grifter has been a cool ride.

Again, this is the literally playbook from chronic lyme. You find a real and sympathetic group then pretend when someone attacks the fake thing they really mean the real guys.

No, vaccines can not prevent long covid. Having covid is not an important factor in getting long covid.

Yes, Vaccines can help prevent negative outcomes of the coronavirus. Including getting symptoms or those symptoms lasting over 2 weeks.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Coldrice posted:

Dude nobody chatting about the pandemic in this thread bears responsibility for covid deaths.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This is poop[1]:

[1]Boston metro sewage data.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Coldrice posted:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

How are u posted:

Dude nobody chatting about the pandemic in this thread bears responsibility for covid deaths.

There are users here who have spent MONTHS downplaying anything regarding Covid. SA still has a rather large user base, and sadly people still come to these kinds of threads for help parsing/aggregating the deluge of information out there. People are dying, people are suffering form long term health effects, and the financial/political repercussions are building - and all you can do is say "Nope no responsibility."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Evil_Greven posted:

In hindsight, has your opinion on this matter changed?

Edit to clarify: Even simple simulations can be very useful in forecasting outcomes.

Jesus gently caress, no. "simple simulations" can be, and routinely are, loving wrong. A computer game intended as a rhetorical device is not an epidemiological modeling tool. Maxing out a slider and declaring the results grim is not informative.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Coldrice posted:

There are users here who have spent MONTHS downplaying anything regarding Covid. SA still has a rather large user base, and sadly people still come to these kinds of threads for help parsing/aggregating the deluge of information out there. People are dying, people are suffering form long term health effects, and the financial/political repercussions are building - and all you can do is say "Nope no responsibility."

The CDC and the rest of the federal government are also downplaying Covid, a handful of posters in the least popular Covid thread on a web 1.0 relic website are not moving the needle in any way

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Coldrice posted:

:rubby:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

The CDC and the rest of the federal government are also downplaying Covid, a handful of posters in the least popular Covid thread on a web 1.0 relic website are not moving the needle in any way

SA being old means letting users respond to all the posts and comments, for months and months, to downplay Covid is ok.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Discendo Vox posted:

Jesus gently caress, no. "simple simulations" can be, and routinely are, loving wrong. A computer game intended as a rhetorical device is not an epidemiological modeling tool. Maxing out a slider and declaring the results grim is not informative.

Did the results match reality?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Coldrice posted:

No one in this thread seems to ever be actually downplaying covid.

Covid has killed around ~850,000 americans, someone looking for information should get that number, not 8500 or 8. million. Both are wrong. This thread often gets wild misinformation. Almost always in the direction of hyperbolic nonsense from twitter. Almost never in the direction of people downplaying it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Again, this is the literally playbook from chronic lyme. You find a real and sympathetic group then pretend when someone attacks the fake thing they really mean the real guys.

No, vaccines can not prevent long covid. Having covid is not an important factor in getting long covid.

Yes, Vaccines can help prevent negative outcomes of the coronavirus. Including getting symptoms or those symptoms lasting over 2 weeks.

I think you'll find plenty of anecdotes about vaccines clearing up many people's long covid. My hypothesis is that many of those people's long covid symptoms were from the stress and anxiety of living in pandemic.

So you're wrong on your point because you haven't sufficiently described exactly what long covid is in order to narrow the argument for you to win it

Also re: discendo vox, simulations ARE informative and I don't know why you would say otherwise, especially when you're able to change the variables and see how the sim plays out. I don't know why you deny reality about what information is and is not

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No one in this thread seems to ever be actually downplaying covid.

Covid has killed around ~850,000 americans, someone looking for information should get that number, not 8500 or 8. million. Both are wrong. This thread often gets wild misinformation. Almost always in the direction of hyperbolic nonsense from twitter. Almost never in the direction of people downplaying it.

You have. You have spent months trying to prevent "panic" and "overreaction" for ??? reasons. You post for HOURS a day, days on end. The fact you're allowed to keep posting is sickening.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Coldrice posted:

You have. You have spent months trying to prevent "panic" and "overreaction" for ??? reasons. You post for HOURS a day, days on end. The fact you're allowed to keep posting is sickening.

You spent so much time on covid you made a whole weird videogame out of it and started trying to use it to predict covid outcomes!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

What interactions do you think a container ship crew has with the country they're in?

Cargo also arrives on planes. Like the FedEx one which brought us Delta.

nomad2020 posted:

Personally I'm going to use Australia as my death yard stick after another month or two. If extremely mild I'll roll my eyes when the couple of people ITT who say the lockdowns did nothing speak up. If not, I'll agree with them because better things were never possible in the Anglosphere.

Nobody here has argued that lockdowns did "nothing." We argued that they were no longer sufficient to drive cases down to COVID-zero, a distinction a lot of people here seem to find difficult to grasp. They were certainly necessary in the sense that they prevented transmission from being worse and saved thousands of lives while we bought time to get from a 30%ish to a 90%+ adult vaccination rate.

If things get so bad that the hospital system is on the brink of total collapse then yes we should do a European-style circuit-breaker lockdown for a few weeks, like the Netherlands is doing now. (And unlike the US, we will.) But that should be the only trigger for a lockdown and it should last only as long as it takes to bring cases down to a manageable level again. We are not confining people to their homes for further months and months and months on end in pursuit of the impossible dream of COVID-zero.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 30, 2021

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You spent so much time on covid you made a whole weird videogame out of it and started trying to use it to predict covid outcomes!

I've not done enough

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
a game that claims masks are only 30% effective by the way.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

freebooter posted:

Cargo also arrives on planes. Like the FedEx one which brought us Delta.

Yes, those can be more easily contained provided you're trying harder than Australia.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"A whole weird videogame" is a very strange way to describe a theoretical modeling tool just because it uses pixel art.

The fact that you orient on it being "a video game" and not an amateur theoretical modeling tool--made, for free--indicates that you want to pretend its a fake and worthless thing.

Maybe it has flaws, but you using someone's free self project as a cudgel just makes you look like a loving jackass.

edit: So far I've yet to see any flaws at that with regard to the conclusion that "covid is a serious loving thing and omicron is even worse."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Coldrice posted:

But people shouldn't panic and they shouldn't overreact. They should get vaccinated, use masks, and then be as cautious as they feel they should be with regards to personal risk tolerance.

Panic and overreaction get you that poor poster in the cspam thread who had a panic attack over the fact that they ate a frozen bon-bon.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Coldrice posted:

SA being old means letting users respond to all the posts and comments, for months and months, to downplay Covid is ok.

it's ok to have disagreements on things like the severity of omicron or the prevalence of long covid based on the information available on an internet forum for discussing things. something awful is not a public health authority.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Discendo Vox posted:

Cold Rice's random walk simulation is more complex than this published one:

A random walk Monte Carlo simulation study of COVID-19-like infection spread
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8047309/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HiroProtagonist posted:

"A whole weird videogame" is a very strange way to describe a theoretical modeling tool just because it uses pixel art.

The fact that you orient on it being "a video game" and not an amateur theoretical modeling tool--made, for free--indicates that you want to pretend its a fake and worthless thing.

Maybe it has flaws, but you using someone's free self project as a cudgel just makes you look like a loving jackass.

If you are going to accuse me of killing people on the internet it's probably a good idea to not be selling for money a game that claims that masks only reduce your chance of getting covid by 10% and only reduce the spread by 30%

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

it's ok to have disagreements on things like the severity of omicron or the prevalence of long covid based on the information available on an internet forum for discussing things. something awful is not a public health authority.

There are quite a few users, generally those who downplay the seriousness of omicron, who behave as if it is such if you dare say it is very serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

How are u posted:

But people shouldn't panic and they shouldn't overreact. They should get vaccinated, use masks, and then be as cautious as they feel they should be with regards to personal risk tolerance.

Panic and overreaction get you that poor poster in the cspam thread who had a panic attack over the fact that they ate a frozen bon-bon.

bro no, it is not panic and overreaction to be concerned with a lack of public health response and to feel the need to take matters into one's own hands. Do you really, honestly, believe that people come to SA because they prefer to, or because there's no more authoritative option?