Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the difference is that people who aren't obsessed with one very specific BMW model also think the G8X is rear end-ugly

I’ve seen a few in the wild now and seen peoples reactions and it’s clearly polarizing but I’m going to go out on a limb and say more people seem to like it more than not and it certainly draws a lot more attention than an F80.

Even my dad who is the typical old man driving a 5 series thought it looked pretty awesome which shocked me considering even when he buys a cool 5 series, it’s always white, gray or black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

kronix posted:

I’ve seen a few in the wild now and seen peoples reactions and it’s clearly polarizing but I’m going to go out on a limb and say more people seem to like it more than not and it certainly draws a lot more attention than an F80.

Even my dad who is the typical old man driving a 5 series thought it looked pretty awesome which shocked me considering even when he buys a cool 5 series, it’s always white, gray or black.

Sever. Imo

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

It's not a BMW unless you can tell people they have to double click the door handle to open it and they say "what the gently caress are you talking abou- Oh, I get it now."

Is there any way to get it to unlock om the first open?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Don't lock the door.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Elite Taco posted:

Don't lock the door.

I guess turning off autolock is the only way?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
My car doesn't autolock...

I think the two pull unlock/exit is likely mechanical, but I can't really speak to more recent models.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

fyallm posted:

Is there any way to get it to unlock om the first open?

Buy a car with 2 doors.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Can confirm that one pull on my locked E92 doors opens them.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Russian Bear posted:

Buy a car with 2 doors.

:chaostrump:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Somewhere deep in the menu on my E90 M3 there is a thing where I can program comfort access to open all doors when I pull on the drivers handle or I can have it only unlock the one door.

And it memorizes that setting based on which key fob I am using.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Buy a car with 2 doors.
My e86 required 2 pulls, unlock then open. My dad almost ripped the door handle off from the inside the first time he rode in it since he thought he was "trapped in the car."

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Somewhere deep in the menu on my E90 M3 there is a thing where I can program comfort access to open all doors when I pull on the drivers handle or I can have it only unlock the one door.

And it memorizes that setting based on which key fob I am using.

The door unlock setting seems to constantly forget itself on my m2c - i want the key or the door touch sensor thingy to unlock all doors and it always resets to driver door only.

Not as bad as when the key battery died in my e46 coupe and the door lock cylinder broke and I had to either leave it unlocked or climb in through the trunk for a month while I waited on the new door cylinder from Germany.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

Buy a car with 2 doors.

Are you counting the trunk lid a door on my m2?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well poo poo, the 328 needs a new transfer case according to the local shop. Considering it also needs like 2k in paint work, thinking of limping along till next summer and buying a car then.

Thought it was misfiring but they smoked it, checked the plugs, but when they disconnected the transfer case it went away.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 30, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well poo poo, the 328 needs a new transfer case. Considering it also needs like 2k in paint work, thinking of limping along till next summer and buying a car then.

Further proving that the best BMW is whatever is still under warranty.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Your boy is considering a Tesla lmao

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Literally half of all the Teslas made got recalled today

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The other half already burned down.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

:chloe:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rscott posted:

Literally half of all the Teslas made got recalled today
yeah over a rearview camera issue whereas my Superior German BMW E92 has been recalled for catching on fire while parked and airbags that shoot metal shards into you to make sure you're dead

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Saw a Tesla being towed from a charging station last night and woke up to the news of the recall lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm gonna get a second opinion in the meantime. If I could get the repair price down to like 2k thats around where I'd start to consider it.

I wonder if used car prices will come down next summer. I wonder what would happen if I just unplugged the transfer case...that'd obviously make it RWD but I imagine it might affect some other things too

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Makes car rwd and no more costly repair? Win win.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I really do need to take mine to the shop to get the park distance control sensors fixed, as they just stop giving a gently caress and turn off in the winter (which is all of the time in Aberdeenshire :scotland: ).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Speaking of 328s and $2k shop bills. Thats what I just spent doing a complete overhaul, m3 control arms front and back spl rear toe arms, hotchkis sway bars, vorshlag camber plates, rear subframe and diff bushings, kwv3s.

Excited for a mountain run this afternoon then driving like 900 miles to seattle tomorrow morning at 5am to hopefully get through the snow areas before it starts getting dark and colder!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Speaking of 328s and $2k shop bills. Thats what I just spent doing a complete overhaul, m3 control arms front and back spl rear toe arms, hotchkis sway bars, vorshlag camber plates, rear subframe and diff bushings, kwv3s.

Excited for a mountain run this afternoon then driving like 900 miles to seattle tomorrow morning at 5am to hopefully get through the snow areas before it starts getting dark and colder!

drat, I thought I was crazy.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

drat, I thought I was crazy.

Gonna be a drop in the bucket compared to the s65 swap build and doing the fender flares properly lmao.

Automotive Insanity indeed. I am I think roughly $15k deep on a $24k car with all the suspension, wheels/tires, exhaust, tint.

Also I have a full Thule rack and bike/roof box I bought last week to help haul all my poo poo tomorrow

Or was the crazy part to driving this 900 miles through low temps and snow tomorrow?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Gonna be a drop in the bucket compared to the s65 swap build and doing the fender flares properly lmao.

Automotive Insanity indeed. I am I think roughly $15k deep on a $24k car with all the suspension, wheels/tires, exhaust, tint.

Also I have a full Thule rack and bike/roof box I bought last week to help haul all my poo poo tomorrow

Or was the crazy part to driving this 900 miles through low temps and snow tomorrow?

I meant the drive yes.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

I meant the drive yes.

Oh…yeah well I am moving so welp. Also RWD with PS4S

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

TheBacon posted:

Tell me you're running winter tires or at least all-seasons on it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Tell me you're running winter tires or at least all-seasons on it

TheBacon posted:

Oh…yeah well I am moving so welp. Also RWD with PS4S

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That's what I get for opening new reply tabs and not posting immediately.

Welp, :rip:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Post when you get to Seattle so we know you didn't die.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is xDelete safe to use with my issue? I'm fine with turning this into a RWD car till I sell it if that means buying a $150 xDelete license instead of a $3800 repair job.

e: I also wonder if it's worth trying to get the case rebuilt.

Reading online a few people have just changed the transfer case fluid and their issues went away. I guess I'll start with that, especially since it isn't throwing any codes atm.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 31, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I used it on my F30 all this summer and most of last summer. No issues, but rwd is definitely sloppier with all seasons. Once I put Indy 500s on rwd was pretty great. No experience with it on an E90 though

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Is xDelete safe to use with my issue? I'm fine with turning this into a RWD car till I sell it if that means buying a $150 xDelete license instead of a $3800 repair job.

I would absolutely give it a try.

I've been meaning to give it a go on my e91.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

The litmus test of dummies.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nitr0 posted:

The litmus test of dummies.
why are half of your posts in this thread about tesla

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

Post when you get to Seattle so we know you didn't die.

Plot twist I was way overloaded and fully bottomed out, shop actually called me following up on how things felt and I mentioned it. Even unloading most of the heaviest stuff still a bunch of contact on drivers side rear. Drove to shop hearing the scrapes the whole way from that corner and when I got there there was almost a baseball size chunk of rubber from the sidewall. He had said drive it over loaded to just see. Maxed out the height on that side which did at least bring level with the other side but still scrapping, though much much less than the constant, but still enough it’s probably not a good idea. Unloaded everything at home and it’s fine driving around now besides loading up that corner semi aggressively going through a corner which I mostly expect.

Anyway this all means I am not leaving at 0500 for seattle and instead calling uhaul at 0700 when they open to see about a one way rental hopefully with full off the ground trailer to trailer the car up. Fun times

I’d add a pic but imgbb seems to be unhappy and the mobile built in img thing never works for me. But lmao comedy of fuckups by me!

Shout out to Performance Dynamics in Mountain View though, anyone in the Bay should absolutely give them business, Greg is a real stand up guy.

e: Also lmao almost forgot I cracked my windshield when I was replacing my wipers earlier by absentmindedly letting go of the arm maybe 4-6” off the glass on the passenger side and the force of the arm snapping back without a blade on it hosed poo poo up. Killing the game, universe probably trying to tell me something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Definitely looking forward to the S65 swap now.