Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
imagine knowing and caring about who either of these people are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

josh04 posted:

absolutely not

rude. they asked nicely

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The following movies are missing from my Coen Bros. viewing experience:
- Blood Simple
- Miller's Crossing
- The Man Who Wasn't There
- Hail, Caesar!
- MacBeth (because it isn't out yet)

I know Miller's Crossing is probably the biggest deficit, in terms of movies that people say you HAVE to watch. But, considering I will most probably at least LIKE all of these movies, which one should be next? The last two I watched were The Hudsucker Proxy (never seen before, fantastic comedy, shot right to the top of my list of favorites) and Burn After Reading (had seen before, also fantastic, but definitely slower to start since it's a comedy of errors. but every joke from the first phone call to Ozzie onward is an absolute Ace and it's so worth that build up).

i really liked the man who wasn't there, but it isn't as funny as the others for a while

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1476224463888961541

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Queen

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

blood simple is good and has a great opening monologue:

Now in Russia, they got it mapped out so that everyone pulls for everyone else--that's the theory, anyway. But what I know about is Texas…
And down here... you're on your own.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hail caesar is fun, they should make more movies about communists proselytizing the science of historical materialism to empty headed himbos

That's my favourite part of the movie, yeah.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Imagine all this discourse that DON'T LOOK UP is getting was around AMERICAN DREAMZ instead, because that's the level of satire that you're dealing with.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Imagine all this discourse that DON'T LOOK UP is getting was around AMERICAN DREAMZ instead, because that's the level of satire that you're dealing with.

insane I've literally never heard of that movie

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

great + comprehensive write up from criterion looking at 2022 releases (mostly on the art house-ier side natch)

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/7646-the-most-anticipated-films

some highlights/amusuing and intriguing projects

quote:

Swinton will star opposite Idris Elba in Three Thousand Years of Longing, George Miller’s first feature since Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). Again, we don’t yet know much about the story, but it may involve a scholar, a djinn, and three wishes. “This film has been simmering in the back of my mind for some time,” said Miller last year. “If we can pull it off, I believe we have the makings of something unusually tasty.” It will be “more or less at heart a two-hander, even though it’s way more complex than that . . . There are action scenes, but they are by the by, and I guess you could say it’s the anti–Mad Max.”

---

David Fincher has been shooting The Killer in Paris with Swinton and Michael Fassbender. Andrew Kevin Walker, who wrote Se7en (1995), has adapted Alexis Nolent’s series of graphic novels about an assassin working through an existential crisis, and Scott Stuber, the head of original films at Netflix, promises that Fincher is nailing “the methodology of that world . . . It’s a really fun, big movie.”

---

Three filmmakers who had a hand in changing the course of American cinema in the 1970s are still at it. Killers of the Flower Moon, based on the 2017 book by David Grann, will be Martin Scorsese’s sixth collaboration with Leonardo DiCaprio and his tenth with Robert De Niro. Jesse Plemons plays an FBI agent leading an investigation into the murders of wealthy Osage people in Oklahoma in the early 1920s. One of the projects Scorsese will turn to next, by the way, is a biopic based on the life of Grateful Dead front man Jerry Garcia starring Jonah Hill.

---

James Gray, too, is drawing from a chapter in his childhood. Anne Hathaway, Jeremy Strong, and Anthony Hopkins will star in Armageddon Time, a story set in Queens just before the presidential election that put Ronald Reagan in the White House. “In some sense, yes, it’s about my childhood, but [it’s also] an illustration of familial love really on every level,” says Gray. “I’m of the belief that most people do their best and that they try their best under difficult circumstances and in some sense that’s a beautiful thing and very moving to me.”

---

“I have unfinished business with the future,” announced David Cronenberg back in April, and he then spent August and September shooting Crimes of the Future in Greece with Viggo Mortensen, Léa Seydoux, Kristen Stewart, Scott Speedman, and Don McKellar. This will not be a remake of Cronenberg’s 1970 Crimes of the Future. The new film will take us to a not-so-distant future when humanity begins to biologically alter itself in order to adapt to the synthetic environment we’ve created. Some embrace this “Accelerated Evolution Syndrome,” while others try to maintain control over it. “We are being pulled into a world that is not quite like this or any other,” said Mortensen in Athens, “and yet it is one that feels strangely familiar, immediate and quite credible.”

Infinity Pool, currently in postproduction, will be the third feature from Cronenberg’s son Brandon. Alexander Skarsgård and Cleopatra Coleman star as James and Em, a young jet-setting couple vacationing at a luxury resort where something ominous looms just outside the hotel gates. In September, Caitlin Cronenberg made a one-minute short with her father, The Death of David Cronenberg, which was auctioned off as an NFT. An award-winning celebrity photographer, she has now lined up her first feature, Humane. Twenty percent of the world’s population has been lost to an environmental catastrophe, and one father’s decision to volunteer for the government’s euthanasia program goes terribly wrong.

--

Terrence Malick reportedly began shooting his biblical epic The Way of the Wind in the summer of 2019 in Italy before moving on to Iceland. The current status is anyone’s guess, but we do know that Géza Röhrig (Son of Saul) will play Jesus and Mark Rylance has confirmed that he will portray four versions of Satan. Further cast members include Matthias Schoenaerts, Ben Kingsley, and Joseph Fiennes.

---

Canterbury Glass may or may not be the title of David O. Russell’s next feature, which will be out on November 4. The current synopsis reads in full: “A doctor and a lawyer form an unlikely partnership.” And what a cast. Margot Robbie again, and Christian Bale, John David Washington, Rami Malek, Zoe Saldana, Robert De Niro, Mike Myers, Timothy Olyphant, Michael Shannon, Chris Rock, Anya Taylor-Joy, Andrea Riseborough, Matthias Schoenaerts, Alessandro Nivola—and Taylor Swift.

---

Here’s what we know about Jordan Peele’s Nope. Daniel Kaluuya, who broke through in Peele’s directorial debut, Get Out (2017), is back. His costars include Keke Palmer and Steven Yeun. There’s a site and a poster, and Universal will release the film on July 22. That’s it for now.

---

Joaquin Phoenix will play one of the most successful entrepreneurs of all time in Ari Aster’s “nightmare comedy” Disappointment Blvd. Joining Phoenix are Nathan Lane, Patti LuPone, Amy Ryan, Parker Posey, Richard Kind, and Meryl Streep. The Northman, Robert Eggers’s Viking revenge thriller set in tenth-century Iceland, stars Alexander Skarsgård, Nicole Kidman, Anya Taylor-Joy, Willem Dafoe, Ethan Hawke, Claes Bang, Björk, and Ralph Ineson. The film is set to open on April 22, and the first trailer has just been released.

---

Ruben Östlund’s dark comedy Triangle of Sadness stars Harris Dickinson and Charlbi Dean as a couple invited on luxury cruise; the captain (Woody Harrelson) is a committed Marxist. The ship sinks, the passengers are stranded on a deserted island, and suddenly, the cleaning lady, the only one among them with essential survival skills, upends the group dynamic.

---

Yorgos Lanthimos should have Poor Things, an adaptation of Alasdair Gray’s 1992 novel, ready some time next year. Emma Stone stars as Belle, who tries to drown herself in order to escape her abusive husband (Ramy Youssef). When she’s rescued, her father (Willem Dafoe) replaces her brain with that of her unborn child. Mark Ruffalo, Margaret Qualley, and Kathryn Hunter appear in supporting roles.

---

Brendan Fraser will play Charlie, a 600-pound middle-aged man trying to reconnect with his seventeen-year-old daughter (Sadie Sink) in Darren Aronofsky’s The Whale. The cast includes Samantha Morton and Hong Chau. Adapting his own 2012 play, Samuel D. Hunter has written his first feature-length screenplay.

---

A detective (Park Hae-il) investigating a possible murder in the mountainous countryside finds himself falling for the man’s widow (Tang Wei)—a prime suspect—in Park Chan-wook’s Decision to Leave. Postproduction is just about complete, and Park has already begun work on his limited series adaptation of Viet Thanh Nguyen’s award winning novel The Sympathizer.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yo pop culture peeps can anyone comment on which if any of these washington post recommended flicks are worth watching

limb
no sudden move
seven prisoners
the dig
the power of the dog

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

yo pop culture peeps can anyone comment on which if any of these washington post recommended flicks are worth watching

limb
no sudden move
seven prisoners
the dig
the power of the dog

power of the dog is good

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

George Miller is king poo poo for following up Fury Road with a genie love story.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i heard good things about power of the dog and am gonna watch it 2nite

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

great + comprehensive write up from criterion looking at 2022 releases (mostly on the art house-ier side natch)

im excited for killers of the flower moon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

on the fifth episode of twin peaks return, it owns so far. personal highlights are Lucy refusing to believe on cell phones and Nadine getting into QAnon

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
fyi

https://twitter.com/starwars_chars/status/1476188772584673283?s=20

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hail caesar is fun, they should make more movies about communists proselytizing the science of historical materialism to empty headed himbos

my hypothesis is that they wrote the whole movie to hinge on the perfect Fischer delivery of "The studios control the means of production!"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Some Guy TT posted:

limb
no sudden move
seven prisoners
the dig
the power of the dog

the dig SUCKS gently caress that movie

watch Chocolate instead, i just did, 2008 movie. it keeps ramping up to where i was laughing in disbelief at how the hell they filmed this action movie, then gasping during the outtakes

StashAugustine posted:

on the fifth episode of twin peaks return, it owns so far. personal highlights are Lucy refusing to believe on cell phones and Nadine getting into QAnon

it absolutely goes up its own rear end in places but you are only a few hours away from one of the finest moments in tv history. do not dick around on your phone after the nine inch nails song

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

:thunk: much to consider

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

im excited for killers of the flower moon.
that one sounds good. not enough ppl know of osage massacre. i thought he did a good job with Jimmy Hoffa stuff.

most of the movies there sound pretty baller, well except the obvious obnoxious drama oscarbait biopic-y poo poo.

new ari aster? hell yea

new Cronenberg? double hell freaking yes

i used to love David Fincher a lot, but he's soured on me lately by making a bunch of not great movies. but i'll still watch the Da Finchman. The Game, Fight Club, Se7en, Zodiac, Insider, are all great movies. Girl With Dragon Tattoo was okay, Gone Girl was a little less okay but watchable and decent. Social Network and Panic Room was dumb and i didn't care for it. Benjamin Button and loving sucked poo poo.

stoked for northmen of course

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Dec 31, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If I wanted to watch Undressed in 2022, how could I do that?

e: not the reboot. the one from the late 90s.

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Dec 31, 2021

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

also lol at this, like seriously what on earth:

quote:

Adam Driver and Greta Gerwig will star in Noah Baumbach’s adaptation of White Noise

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i don't like baumbach that much but i think it could be good

also of note — the producer of that (white noise) also bought the rights to Underworld and The Silence

i want a Libra adpatation tho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mastershakeman posted:

it absolutely goes up its own rear end in places but you are only a few hours away from one of the finest moments in tv history. do not dick around on your phone after the nine inch nails song

what the gently caress just happened

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheSlutPit posted:

also lol at this, like seriously what on earth:

it has a really big budget too, which is wild but I am glad of it

I'm pretty excited for it, I like everyone involved with the project and the book too

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Panic Room was a huge guilty pleasure when I was a kid, few movies have better casting than Dwight Yoakam as the villain.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

quote:

In September, Caitlin Cronenberg made a one-minute short with her father, The Death of David Cronenberg, which was auctioned off as an NFT.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

StashAugustine posted:

what the gently caress just happened

Evil

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

long live the new flesh tokens

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That Boba fett show was pretty good.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
of course it was - it had jizz and graffiti and parkour

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

500 good dogs posted:

of course it was - it had jizz and graffiti and parkour

I didn't like the dumb fight scene with the shield guys. The jizz was great.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.salon.com/2021/12/30/its-a-wonderful-life-harmful-message-sacrifice/

Are bad or otherwise flawed takes on It's A Wonderful Life the "in" thing this season

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

I didn't like the dumb fight scene with the shield guys. The jizz was great.

agreed. glad to see max rebo kept the band together despite the drama on tatooine

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

That Boba fett show was pretty good.

https://twitter.com/RoseEmojiTico/status/1476432920067903488

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the fuuuuck is this

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lol this entire thing was made to absolve him of responsibility for anything beyond casting as a producer.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the fuuuuck is this

so anyway i started blastin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i love how "White House press secretary" used to be a hot ticket to stardom. even ari fleischer got a gig.

spicer? huckabee? mooch? gently caress.