Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

feeling real good rn about going through CPH on the way back to the land of the free :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

SplitSoul posted:

Who are "they"? That one dude from C-SPAM who wears a P100 FFR?

Anyway, hope you don't die. poo poo is about to get bonkers. My mom is gonna be in chemo soon and I worry she'll catch it in the hospital. They force people to replace FFP2s with surgicals.

Lmao I missed him I guess. Government is what I meant. Masks everywhere and closing down most things vs how things were just a few months ago.

Hoping your mom is going to be fine. This kind of poo poo in the middle of a pandemic is terrible.

luminalflux posted:

feeling real good rn about going through CPH on the way back to the land of the free :ohdear:

Yeah I have to go early January for a loving check up, that they wont do locally. Hoping they cancel.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Woodenlung posted:

Lmao I missed him I guess. Government is what I meant. Masks everywhere and closing down most things vs how things were just a few months ago.

Hoping your mom is going to be fine. This kind of poo poo in the middle of a pandemic is terrible.

Not nearly enough and they intend to send kids back to the plague mines in a week to continue killing and maiming their involuntarily maskless teachers. Masking isn't enforced and many might as well not bother. 0.4% of the entire population wouldn't have tested positive in a single day if the government was cautious.

Thanks. Third cancer diagnosis in 2021 for my family. One already dead, one dying, one I'll find out tomorrow.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Something I started thinking about from reading opinions here is the misinformation spread by the faulty and dated guidelines FHM provides.

There’s a general belief that asymptomatic spread isn’t a thing. This is one of the primary motivating factors behind other countries opting for mask mandates. If you don’t believe aerosols from asymptomatic infected are spreading disease then masking everyone doesn’t make sense to you.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

tegnell really did a number on the swedish psyche

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

luminalflux posted:

Motherfucker belongs in The Hague.

fnox
May 19, 2013

This isn’t conjecture either, this is what krisinformation says right now. It was updated in November.

No matter how you slice it that’s a radical departure from the advice in just about any other country. Denmark’s advice is for asymptomatic people who test positive to stay home for a week.

fnox fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 29, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Actually one possible hope is that the spike yesterday and today is from people going to Christmas dinner on the 24th. Once we get past New Years Eve, the "social event" driver should maybe drop off a cliff in DK?

Who the gently caress knows. If it's driven by people all clustering like plague rats on the 24th... and here comes nytår. But that will result in a spike around the 4th/5th.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

Actually one possible hope is that the spike yesterday and today is from people going to Christmas dinner on the 24th. Once we get past New Years Eve, the "social event" driver should maybe drop off a cliff in DK?

Who the gently caress knows. If it's driven by people all clustering like plague rats on the 24th... and here comes nytår. But that will result in a spike around the 4th/5th.

And then all the kids going back to school on the 5th with their abysmal vaccination rate and useless Delta immunity.

If only there was anything we could do to limit social events. Oh well!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hahaha, steam purchases can ONLY be done by modilt bankid now, since I have a swedish card, and since I don't own a smartphone I'm forever not allowed to buy anything anymore. There are no options or settings to change to something I do have lol. :suicide:

Better hope your loving smartphone is always functioning perfectly and on hand or :frogout: of socity even more. It does NOT want you.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 29, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Poil posted:

Hahaha, steam purchases can ONLY be done by modilt bankid now, since I have a swedish card, and since I don't own a smartphone I'm forever not allowed to buy anything anymore. There are no options or settings to change to something I do have lol. :suicide:

Better hope your loving smartphone is always functioning perfectly and on hand or :frogout:.

PayPal should work without bank ID. A credit card with the same bank should also works without bank ID.

I've been using bankid for a very long time and never had a problem that made me regret it being a thing.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 29, 2021

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Better hope your loving smartphone is always functioning perfectly and on hand or :frogout: of socity even more. It does NOT want you.

So it does not work with a bank ID downloaded to your computer then?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Poil posted:

Steam doesn't control how your bank does 3D Secure verification. My bank allows either BankID or the older "kortdosa" (physical thing that generates one-time codes). 3D Secure implementation is already required in most online stores and is going to be everywhere eventually so if you don't have BankID I'd suggest you change bank.

I'm also really surprised you're only running into this now, 3D Secure has been a thing for years and years at this point. Steam is a very late adopter.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 29, 2021

fnox
May 19, 2013

BankID has to be one of the most convenient things about living in Sweden tbh. The sheer amount of paperwork and bureaucracy you can cut right through with it is crazy. The last time I had to actually physically go to a government agency in person was to have my fingerprints taken.

It being on the phone is just added convenience, your bank should’ve given you a pad that can generate auth codes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

teen witch posted:

Cannot wait until I have some sort of vague inkling as to when I can get a booster. I’ve checked 1177 a few times the past two weeks and it’s kinda…idk, eventually?
Our area is open to everyone with a shot 6months+ ago. I've got an appointment on the day.

teen witch posted:

Already ahead of you.
Oh nice. Why the interest in KN95?

luminalflux posted:

I also have someone on facebook ranting against vaccine passports for going to the movies, saying that vaccine passports won't solve anything.
I mean they won't do much on their own for omicron but I'd go to the movies if people wore ffp2/3 and were all vax'ed.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 29, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
BankID is a swedish thing? Surely other countries have similiar stuff

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

fnox posted:

BankID has to be one of the most convenient things about living in Sweden tbh. The sheer amount of paperwork and bureaucracy you can cut right through with it is crazy. The last time I had to actually physically go to a government agency in person was to have my fingerprints taken.

It being on the phone is just added convenience, your bank should’ve given you a pad that can generate auth codes.

Reprovisioning a BankID overseas is "fun". I basically could not use SEB for a year since I had lost my digipass and my phone got wiped, so until I was back in sweden and could go to a physical SEB office and get a new digipass I was SOL. Freja eID would normally be fine for non-bank stuff since you can provision it off your passport, but it wasn't available to me since i'm not folkbokförd anymore and that's a requirement for Freja

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zzulu posted:

BankID is a swedish thing? Surely other countries have similiar stuff

NemID/MitID is the Danish equivalent. It's pretty good, but I'm also a computer literate native. I did have to buy a new passport to prove my identity before I could switch to MitID (which is still not really in use I think)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm quite sure all Nordic countries have it at the very least because banks like Nordea and Danske operate across the region. EU has also regulated it so there can't be that much difference between countries.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 29, 2021

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

luminalflux posted:

Reprovisioning a BankID overseas is "fun". I basically could not use SEB for a year since I had lost my digipass and my phone got wiped, so until I was back in sweden and could go to a physical SEB office and get a new digipass I was SOL. Freja eID would normally be fine for non-bank stuff since you can provision it off your passport, but it wasn't available to me since i'm not folkbokförd anymore and that's a requirement for Freja

Getting a new BankID is super easy through Swedbank online. The other banks seems to require physical visits for some reason.

BonHair posted:

NemID/MitID is the Danish equivalent. It's pretty good, but I'm also a computer literate native. I did have to buy a new passport to prove my identity before I could switch to MitID (which is still not really in use I think)

Reactivating my Nemid is an hassle since I lost my access and need to physically visit a borger office. It is only my Danish pension there, so I haven’t really bothered.

fnox posted:

My US coworker is amazed that you can do your taxes by just a SMS.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cardiac posted:

Getting a new BankID is super easy through Swedbank online. The other banks seems to require physical visits for some reason.

Much as I'd love to ditch SEB to one that actually has an app that's not locked to the nordic app stores, once you're not folkbokförd/living in sweden it's impossible to become a customer of a different bank.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

luminalflux posted:

Look I'm not saying don't put me in a room with him but don't put me in a loving room with him.

3 friends lost relatively healthy elderly family members, I'm sure there's more I just haven't been told about. He could burn and I wouldn't piss in his face.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bankid is great and all don't get me wrong, but it seems like everything in society is being shoved onto the mobile version and that sucks. I'm amazed I'm still able to get into contact with healthcare, get vaccinated etc without it. Having a dumbphone I might as well be wearing an animal hide loincloth and holding a comically oversized bone and go "Me no smartphone. Luddite smash!" given how flabbergasted every "service", agency or store or whatever gets when I tell them. It's not a convenience, it's a freaking requirement and I don't like it.

It's not like swedbank (heter de så för att det svider att ha och göra med dem?) could even care less that their stuff doesn't work properly on steam. Hell it could actually be intentional to only allow phones. Wouldn't surprise me at all. But hopefully someone might fix it, at some point. :sigh:

Doing the text confirmation usually works fine the few times a year I buy something online. I don't own a smartphone because I don't want to and can't really afford it (I haven't reached the minimum required to pay income tax for years). My current phone was a bit pricey at 350kr when I bought it 5+ years or so, but it's easy and simple to use, never runs updates and despite the age of the battery I only need to charge it 1-2 times a week. Naturally I'm also that guy in the store who prefers to use cash :v:, because it actually feels like I'm spending money and makes it so much easier for me to keep down expenses.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Freeing Skåne from the perfidious Swede, check.

lol if you don't think we'd just hand it over if you asked politely

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

We've got BankID in Norway too and it's mostly pretty sweet, but it's a separate and unrelated service to the Swedish one.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I like the healthcare part of bankid. I can Literally PM any of my doctors, and they can respond, and it still satisfies confidentially rules. Just pick a clinic and then mail away.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

McCloud posted:

lol if you don't think we'd just hand it over if you asked politely

hand it over please

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

hand it over please

As much as one would like to oblige I think the request have to go to the official channels.

https://www.riksdagen.se/sv/Kontakt/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

As much as one would like to oblige I think the request have to go to the official channels.

https://www.riksdagen.se/sv/Kontakt/

Hello, we noticed that you kinda borrowed Skåne, Halland and Blekinge from us a few hundred years ago. We just recently noticed that we were missing them, could we come over and get them? You don't even have to ethnically cleanse them first, we'll do it ourselves.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
It should be the government's job to provide a convenient and accessible means of identifying yourself, but unfortunately that isn't the reality we live in. Mobilt BankID has been so successful it's the de-facto standard now. It's even replacing a plain old ID card in some face to face applications now. You... should probably have a smartphone, honestly, even if you only really use it as a second authentication factor. Old models can be had used for probably around the cost of your dumb phone now. Coincidentally, renewing your national ID card at the police station costs 400SEK and it's only valid for five years these days. I guess the driver's license might be a cheaper.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 30, 2021

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

TheFluff posted:

Coincidentally, renewing your national ID card at the police station costs 400SEK and it's only valid for five years these days. I guess the driver's license might be a cheaper.

Really? A license costs like 12 thousand in Denmark, what do you guys pay?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

jeebus bob posted:

Renew is not the same as acquire. It cost 280 dkk to renew a drivers licence in 🇩🇰

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

jeebus bob posted:

I think they meant a replacement, which is only like 300DKK I believe.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

jeebus bob posted:

I assume TheFluff means renewing the card is cheaper, not the whole driver's training. I recently had to order a new driving license card because I lost the old one who knows where, it cost 17 euros in Finland. It's only valid for 5 years unfortunately now, the old one would have been valid until we all have succumbed to climate change. But it's valid ID just about everywhere.

Official ID card costs €54 and passport is €52 here. If you apply for them both simultaneously there's an 8 euro discount. But that's all theoretical, we have the Northern European passport free area so who wants a passport???

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

jeebus bob posted:

You managed to only pay 12k? I passed both tests and ended up with a way higher fee. Did have to take a few extra lessons (due to the medical approval taking forever), but ended up with almost 20k in the end when everything was paid.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I paid like 15k in 2000 and then dropped out since i got a job in stockholm and couldn't take time off from work to concentrate on getting it

15 years later i got one in north carolina since apparently they just give them away there, don't even need to know how to parallel park or what högerregeln is or need to do halkbana

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Did they at least make you drive stick?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I never understood automatic-only licences. Learning to handle the manual stick barely costs an extra second of training. The difficult part is learning traffic etc. You build up a habit to change gear while you're learning other stuff.

Sure, they're probably going away within a few decades. But it's practically a free skill. And manual cars will absolutely sneak up on you several times before then. Either when a friend needs your help or you need to rent a small truck for moving or some other reason.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Feliday Melody posted:

I never understood automatic-only licences. Learning to handle the manual stick barely costs an extra second of training. The difficult part is learning traffic etc. You build up a habit to change gear while you're learning other stuff.
Plenty of people just don't have the mental/proprioceptive capacity for driving a manual safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, the stick shift isn't the issue with driving manual; the clutch is. Automatic cars don't have a clutch either.

Has anyone here actually tried driving both manual and automatic? Am I the only person who thinks the clutch is the devil's pedal?