Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

real men chug nyquil directly from the bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

blatman posted:

if I take melatonin it takes me like 8 extra hours to feel like i'm actually awake, just hardcore grogginess for most of the following day

Ugh, I'm like that most of the time even WITHOUT melatonin.

Speaking of, I'm not sure I've had any caffeine today . . . oops.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

you can take doxylamine succinate tablets (brand name unisom still I think?) to skip the messy business of drinking nyquil and consume only the active ingredient :drugnerd:

it loving sucks though and gives me a sleep-hangover the next day

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
your regular reminder that melatonin was developed/prescribed at MIT in 1mg doses as the MED but is almost always available in much higher levels that (probably) won't help you sleep faster but definitely will make you groggier

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
when you eyeball melatonin how much do you put into the eye

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Before trying Monroe I'd have dismissed this outright as absurdity but having experienced it I am pretty drat convinced the man figured out how to hack brains with sound

And that said if you can recommend any resources on the topic that'd be awesome because I am certainly fascinated by its potential

There's this thing called "neurofeedback", which basically reprograms your neural pathways, but it seems that you need a EEG machine to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ3dOn0hWWg

This is a great video, benn jordan (aka The Flashbulb) uses a portable eeg machine to make music depending on his stress levels.

He also talks about the dangers of hacking your neural pathways, and that some users engage on what he calls "competitive meditation":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMqJUpKeXZw

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

hseroK divaD posted:

some users engage on what he calls "competitive meditation"
:barf:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So this is the service to self old Ra was talking about

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

NDT seems to have improved his dumbass brain on ufos a bit

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/a-conversation-on-the-universe-anti-science-and-vexed-question-of-ufos-1.4751418

quote:

Do you think we should fund such investigations in the future?

Regarding UFOs? Yes, for sure, despite doubts I’ve just outlined. I see it like this. I think some percentage of any research budget should go to investigating flying objects which cannot be identified. That should be an obvious part of the job for any defence system. Is it a threat? What is it? Should we worry? And then, if they do exist, and are extraterrestrial, maybe one day we’ll capture one! That would be great. Then we could study it.

But even that aside, we’ve actually had active research programmes ongoing since the 1960s. We’ve been sending out signals, trying to receive signals from potentially intelligent civilisations in the galaxy. The SETI Institute is all about that, of course.

Now, a new programme at Harvard, the Galileo Project, established by Avi Loeb, is trying to get people to be a little more open to the possibility that there could be alien artefacts floating around out there, throughout our solar system, and beyond.

Of course, the UFO enthusiast community has always been interested in that, but what’s different here is that Professor Loeb carries the pedigree of a Harvard professor, and is associating real analytical science with the endeavour. I wish the project the best of luck.

still a complete brokebrain who leans into the national defense angle instead of the natural curiosity and need to know that a real scientist would have, of course

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Someone gave NDT the Sam Harris talk

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

post this in the anime forum

but i don't really like anime

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

my bony fealty posted:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/a-conversation-on-the-universe-anti-science-and-vexed-question-of-ufos-1.4751418

still a complete brokebrain who leans into the national defense angle instead of the natural curiosity and need to know that a real scientist would have, of course

grant attainment brains more so than scientist brains

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

Such a perfect illustration of the difference between him and Sagan. If Sagan were presented with capturing a UFO, he would have talked about it with childlike wonder at the possibility, NDT would put it in a cage and shock it with electricity until we can prove it feels pain.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Barry Foster posted:

Man, I so want melatonin to work on me but even that amount gives me hosed up crazy dreams that wake me up when I just want deep sleep

Even 3 mg

I know they say you should actually take 0.3 mg or something crazy small like that, but I can't be bothered to keep ordering it at great expense from the States (you can't buy it OTC in the UK)

You have to crush it and do just a baby P'nti bump.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

“Regarding UFOs? Yes, for sure, despite doubts I’ve just outlined. I see it like this. I think some percentage of any research budget should go to investigating flying objects which cannot be identified. That should be an obvious part of the job for any defence system. Is it a threat? What is it? Should we worry? And then, if they do exist, and are extraterrestrial, maybe one day we’ll capture one! That would be great. Then we could study it.

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, and keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the speech from the screams.”

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

lol capture one, way to go NDT :dumbbravo:
the choice of 'capture' as opposed to any other possible type of interaction say a lot bout mr big brains over therr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Presumably he said that because, being unable to ignore their existence anymore, his implicit assumption has to be that they're robotic drones, because any other possiblity makes his brain overheat like an old school scifi AI that gets flummoxed by a basic paradox.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

who is Sam Harris? from a quick google search he looks like a podcast self help guru grifter

e:lol stanford grad goes to India for intensive meditation learning

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

someone give NDT a swirlie in the gravy river on Meat Planet

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Sleekly posted:

lol capture one, way to go NDT :dumbbravo:
the choice of 'capture' as opposed to any other possible type of interaction say a lot bout mr big brains over therr

That coming from the guy that speaks of the pomposity of humanity at-large, too. I'm tempted to @ndt and remind him how there are beings more powerful than himself

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

in my boundless magnanimity i shall be fair to mr galaxy brain: he may simply be using the word capture in the sense of capturing a photograph or data

he totally isn’t

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pontificating rear end posted:

That coming from the guy that speaks of the pomposity of humanity at-large, too. I'm tempted to @ndt and remind him how there are beings more powerful than himself

I wonder if I could out-armwrestle NDT

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

poisonpill posted:

who is Sam Harris? from a quick google search he looks like a podcast self help guru grifter

e:lol stanford grad goes to India for intensive meditation learning

sam harris came up as a "new atheist" in the 2000s by carrying water for the US military establishment. as a neuroscientist and atheist, he is naturally an expert on all subjects and holds forth on philosophy in his popular podcast. notable achievments in philosophy include when he solved the is-ought problem in ethics in his ted talk, where he stood up on a stage in front of millions of people and claimed that pure science alone can furnish us with a total + complete morality.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Zarin posted:

I wonder if I could out-armwrestle NDT

i think there are people here who could earnestly out debate him, that would maybe sting enough for him to realise hes become a joke and turn it round and start thinking again instead of whatever shtick hes on.

what is it anyway? friendly science guy? tv seeking yes man?
just a garden variety acdemic sex pest? certainly its not tue image he probably thinks he projects

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA4IGhVYumo

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rickshaw posted:

sam harris came up as a "new atheist" in the 2000s by carrying water for the US military establishment. as a neuroscientist and atheist, he is naturally an expert on all subjects and holds forth on philosophy in his popular podcast. notable achievments in philosophy include when he solved the is-ought problem in ethics in his ted talk, where he stood up on a stage in front of millions of people and claimed that pure science alone can furnish us with a total + complete morality.

lol lmao

I knew it

I wish I had that level of unearned confidence

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Sleekly posted:

i think there are people here who could earnestly out debate him, that would maybe sting enough for him to realise hes become a joke and turn it round and start thinking again instead of whatever shtick hes on.

what is it anyway? friendly science guy? tv seeking yes man?
just a garden variety acdemic sex pest? certainly its not tue image he probably thinks he projects

i'm not sure if this was a fever dream or not but i vaguely remember him showing up on stargate atlantis as himself, teamed up with bill nye, and they were both sex pests

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think someone stole Lue's old burner twitter or Lue is having a difficult one
https://twitter.com/facelessbureau1/status/1473836496297750528?s=20

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lol at the use of Son of Man in his profile pic

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think someone stole Lue's old burner twitter or Lue is having a difficult one
https://twitter.com/facelessbureau1/status/1473836496297750528?s=20

fuckin lmao looks like lue deleted his old burner account and reddit remade it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://mobile.twitter.com/faceIessbureau1/status/1465435279339110401

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://mobile.twitter.com/facelessbureau1/status/1473166812078477312

https://twitter.com/facelessbureau1/status/1473820325435437058?s=20

https://twitter.com/facelessbureau1/status/1472632270095720452?s=20

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

chris carter ripped off phil schnieder so hard

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wheeee posted:

“Regarding UFOs? Yes, for sure, despite doubts I’ve just outlined. I see it like this. I think some percentage of any research budget should go to investigating flying objects which cannot be identified. That should be an obvious part of the job for any defence system. Is it a threat? What is it? Should we worry? And then, if they do exist, and are extraterrestrial, maybe one day we’ll capture one! That would be great. Then we could study it.

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, and keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the speech from the screams.”

that's Blindsight right

I didn't love it and kinda hate it but I am glad I read it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

that's Blindsight right

I didn't love it and kinda hate it but I am glad I read it

yep, i liked it well enough, but it's one of those books that was in desperate need of an editor to say "okay, that's too many concepts, you need to play with the toys you have, not get more out of the closet"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

More sci fi needs pointless vampire bullshit simmering in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pissinthewind posted:

im hemispherin on the gateway rn