Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I would definitely be worried that Lana Wachowski is pro-mental illness, if I were exactly the type of bad guys in this movie, people who are conscious on a surface level but beneath it all love their comfortable lies about how things work, hiding behind authority as an unimpeachable good and devoid of context or nuance about what it means to really fall between the cracks of society.

Basically if you are trans in America there is an entire humming industry dedicated to the idea that this is wrong and you have to be fixed, even if you have to be damaged and forced into lying about yourself to do it. This extends from plainly crackpot right wing groups running "conversion therapy" into sectors with a veneer of legitimacy because they have all the "right" credentials.

Likewise there's a huge number of people dividing the world between binary non-choices (one seemingly rational, one seemingly impossible), who will gladly crucify anyone not making the non-choice. Male/female, Democrat/Republican, you name it.

"Stop taking your schizophrenia meds and grab your gun" is not really the point of Resurrections. Even if you could describe it as simply as that (you can't), the movie's clear that this isn't inassailably correct or truly free, either. Everything is a system of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rewatching the new matrix movie got me relistening to Ministry again so I’m thankful for that.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 31, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flush the kids down the toilet of the real

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would definitely be worried that Lana Wachowski is pro-mental illness, if I were exactly the type of bad guys in this movie, people who are conscious on a surface level but beneath it all love their comfortable lies about how things work, hiding behind authority as an unimpeachable good and devoid of context or nuance about what it means to really fall between the cracks of society.

Basically if you are trans in America there is an entire humming industry dedicated to the idea that this is wrong and you have to be fixed, even if you have to be damaged and forced into lying about yourself to do it. This extends from plainly crackpot right wing groups running "conversion therapy" into sectors with a veneer of legitimacy because they have all the "right" credentials.

Likewise there's a huge number of people dividing the world between binary non-choices (one seemingly rational, one seemingly impossible), who will gladly crucify anyone not making the non-choice. Male/female, Democrat/Republican, you name it.

"Stop taking your schizophrenia meds and grab your gun" is not really the point of Resurrections. Even if you could describe it as simply as that (you can't), the movie's clear that this isn't inassailably correct or truly free, either. Everything is a system of control.

Following on from this 'think about the impact on your children!' is a thing hugely weaponized against trans people with kids. Refusing to let the trans person have custody or visitation and on and on.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Jacobin with the worst take ever

https://twitter.com/jacobin/status/1476591411248222212?t=B7ROcUjDgacz7_vvzbDICQ&s=19

This clown seriously thinks he's writing for the New Yorker (which also sucks)

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The movie spends what, two or three minutes total showing Trinity's family? And always in the context of them getting in the way of her reuniting with Neo. It's wildly different than the way Jupiter Ascending portrays Mila Kunis's character's family, where there's a sense of her character's genuine love for a group of people. Trinity's eFamily is all social obligation by contrast; it removes any actual stakes there might been in her making the choice to abandon them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Doesn't he literally say that his goal is to induce despair because that keeps people compliant? Does that sound like a real therapist to you?

Two ways to answer this:

1) He talks about inducing hope and despair generally in his capacity as the small-a architect of the new matrix and representative of "the suits". He's talking about the way that the large-scale matrix technology is used to manipulate people's dreams and otherwise construct their day-to-day reality. This is different from his functioning in the capacity of an actual therapist, when he sits down with Neo and teaches Neo coping strategies to deal with what, in the context of his new life as the head of a video game company, are dangerous and potentially suicidal delusions. There wasn't anything wrong or sinister with how he talked to Neo regarding the Smith's-mouth-melting hallucination, for instance, except for the dramatic irony of us in the audience knowing that Neo was remembering something that really happened.

2) More broadly, yes. A real therapist's job is to get you back to work. If you're fantasizing about becoming some sort of terrorist insurgent in order to destroy the exploitative system you're trapped in, your therapist should be gently disabusing you of the notion that this can work, is a good idea, etc - even though, arguably, it's everyone's moral obligation to start smashing up petroleum infrastructure or whatever. You need to accept the world you live in if you're going to function within it in a sustainable way, which is a troublesome proposition given that the world is unacceptably bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

moths posted:

That's an extremely charitable read, given that, from her perspective, she's leaving two (or three?) of her own children and the man she remembers marrying. Because a tech guy told her that his videogame is real, and robots control everything.

She has a family and responsibilities that are getting in the way of riding motorcycles and kung-fu battles! Good thing that, from her perspective, a delusional pill-head has told her none if that is real or matters. She's always had a feeling that she's very important and privy to secret knowledge, and now that's been confirmed. By the way, the therapist is in on it so never listen to him.

Maybe I'm too familiar with q and cult poo poo to ignore the parallels here, but "none of your old life matters, we're fighting the big battle" isn't something that shouldn't be depicted as heroic. Or if it must be, it should be treated extremely loving carefully.

If the Analyst hadn't confirmed Neo's story by filling a zone with SWAT guys, it would have been much more interesting.

The family and 'responsibilities' she has are artificial constructions of society forced onto her in order to enforce her gender roles, right down to giving her "Tiffany" as a name, something she clearly has innate distaste for. Meanwhile Neo was actually someone she had a for-real connection and actually for-real loved. Framing it as a 'tech guy told her the video game was real' ignores the interpersonal connection between the two which is front and center of the plot. It isn't a random stranger. It is Neo (and explicitly not "Thomas Anderson" which is a name he already explicitly rejected "My name is Neo" and the use of it has intentional parallels to intentional deadnaming, much like Tiffany/Trinity.)

More to the point Neo is not trying to pull Trinity into a big battle. He is trying to help her return to herself. Trinity isn't 'leaving her family' for a random tech guy. She is abandoning a comfortable falsehood for a connection so real and genuine it literally makes fuckin' power.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yes she is

(repostin' the runaway wife phenomenon)

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I just feel bad for the kids, that's all...

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Another family unit destroyed by Hollywood...

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
This really upset me. As a man and head of a household, I...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Their kid should have been Lil Smith

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

RBA Starblade posted:

Their kid should have been Lil Smith

The movie would've been a lot more interesting if the despair was Neo and Trinity stuck in a loveless suburbanite marriage with the therapist convincing them to stay together.

Honestly, almost anything would've been more interesting. What a bad movie.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Has anyone complained about how quiet the dialogue is? I hate that the Nolan thing of having the dialogue turned low and all the characters mumble is the hip thing in Hollywood.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Mister Anderson go to your room"
"My name...is Smith"

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Ferrinus posted:

On the contrary, I really do think he was giving it his all when it came to integrating Neo healthily and sustainably into what was objectively a pretty great life. Sure, it was an artificially constructed life, but so what? Everything's a construct.

It is rather nice of the Analyst to make Neo the most famous game designer in the world. Obviously he didnt give him a girlfriend or spouse as he needed that longing for Trinity to power things (per his exposition), but he didnt have to give him such a great job. I suppose that if he was working bill to bill or buried in medical debt than he may have dreamed for more and be more likely to actively rebel.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

checkplease posted:

It is rather nice of the Analyst to make Neo the most famous game designer in the world. Obviously he didnt give him a girlfriend or spouse as he needed that longing for Trinity to power things (per his exposition), but he didnt have to give him such a great job. I suppose that if he was working bill to bill or buried in medical debt than he may have dreamed for more and be more likely to actively rebel.

It's a good illustrations of the fact that even individual bosses, CEOs, etc are ultimately minions rather than masters of capital and need to be liberated from its puppetry for their own good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

checkplease posted:

I mean "is famous" is not the same as "is happy" and it's pretty clear Neo wasn't exactly very happy especially when they literally told him that he had to do the one thing he specifically said he didn't want to do or they were going to do it without him.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Turning Neo into Cliffy B is a flex

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Why is smith back? What possible reason could there be?

He was just an agent program who neo killed and as a result turned into a virus that would have destroyed the matrix if neo didn’t team up with the machines to wipe out. Why is he back in this new version of the matrix? That’s the one thing I really didn’t like (even worse that we’re supposed to pretend that actor is Hugo weaving)

He shouldn’t have even been in 2 and 3 much less this one!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I tend to agree that he didn't need to be in 2 and 3, but Smith was unique even before Neo killed him so :shrug:

e: Hugo Weaving did need to stick around though, so Smith should have still been around but as a ghost in Neo's head taunting him Dexter-style.

Now I'm thinking how in the plot of Reloaded, they would have all died by opening the door when it wasn't ready if Smith wasn't there to fight them

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 31, 2021

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Noob Saibot posted:

He was just an agent program who neo killed and as a result turned into a virus that would have destroyed the matrix if neo didn’t team up with the machines to wipe out. Why is he back in this new version of the matrix? That’s the one thing I really didn’t like (even worse that we’re supposed to pretend that actor is Hugo weaving)

I honestly liked the aspect of putting Neo in there with a bunch of things he'd probably faintly remember a notice are out of place, as it makes him less emotionally stable and that's part of what gets the most juice from him. So, Smith being Neo's boss in this matrix would be a part of that.

However, I thought Smith pretty much outlived his usefulness after the scene where he picks up the gun and remembers to be Smith. Surrounding Neo with weird references designed to subtly make him go nuts was good stuff, but it's when the movie got done with that kind of subtlety that it really went off the rails and Smith actually being a character didn't really help the film.

That being said, the general setup was probably the most boring way to do it, and the desire to have an inspiring, feel-good love story really kneecapped the impact of the interesting first-half scenes.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

moths posted:

There's inherent responsibilities, though.

moths posted:

Like, today you shouldn't be making a movie where the cool and correct answer is to shoot up a school.
It's pretty good to drop a puritanical nugget like this when talking about the movie that was literally in real life accused of inspiring school shooters by censorious busybodies. How things have changed!

Linguica fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 31, 2021

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Noob Saibot posted:

I still don’t understand why New-Actor-Old-Smith was so wildly different from Old-Movie-Old-Smith, when New-Actor-New-Morpheus was like a weird exact cosplay of Old-Morpheus.

Either make them both new or both old. Or better yet, don’t bother doing them without the original actors.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

gently caress I thought that I typed we shouldn't discourage mental well being, and instead wrote that everything is Marilyn Manson's fault.

Oops. Autocorrect I guess.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shrimpy posted:

I still don’t understand why New-Actor-Old-Smith was so wildly different from Old-Movie-Old-Smith, when New-Actor-New-Morpheus was like a weird exact cosplay of Old-Morpheus.

Either make them both new or both old. Or better yet, don’t bother doing them without the original actors.

New-Morpheus was created subconsciously by Neo in his lil' matrix as an amalgamation of Morpheus and Smith - the two biggest (non-Trinity) influences on him. New-Smith was a reskin of Old-Smith by the Analyst for reasons that don't make any sense to me given how much Smith apparently wants to kill the Analyst. I read Weaving was asked to join the cast but unavailable and Fishburne wasn't asked.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DickParasite posted:

New-Morpheus was created subconsciously by Neo in his lil' matrix as an amalgamation of Morpheus and Smith - the two biggest (non-Trinity) influences on him. New-Smith was a reskin of Old-Smith by the Analyst for reasons that don't make any sense to me given how much Smith apparently wants to kill the Analyst. I read Weaving was asked to join the cast but unavailable and Fishburne wasn't asked.

The gently caress?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
From matrix 2 and 3, we learn that Smith and Neo are linked. When Neo was reborn as the one and the anomaly, then (according to the orcale) smith was the attempt to balance the equation. Thematically they operate as opposites too with Smith being pure purpose. And Neo is pure choice. This thread has also discussed how they differ as liberators.
Because of this connection, the only way to remove smith also caused neo's death. So when they brought back Neo, they also got a Smith. It seems the analyst was aware of this and found a way to imprison Smith too with a happy life full of power (and a definite purpose).

In Resurrections, Smith's only purpose is to remain free. But neo just wants love. Perhaps love and relationships can be viewed as limiting personal freedom, once again placing them in opposites. But I think Lana has a much more positive view of love. He is representing a choice for neo though. Forget about Trinity and be free in the new world again. Or risk it to go back for what he lost.

As for his different personality,20+ years of being a different person clearly has some impact on Trinity and Neo also. So this is likely still impacting Smith to a degree. And he did spend 20+ years working with Neo as a business partner, so some of the anger is gone, or at least buried.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Re earlier in thread, Lana Wachowski is a Bernie supporter, so I doubt she's a Libertarian

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
The part of the Smith fight in Resurrections where Neo blocks Smith's attacks by doing the exact same attacks so they negate each other is cool.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

VROOM VROOM posted:

The part of the Smith fight in Resurrections where Neo blocks Smith's attacks by doing the exact same attacks so they negate each other is cool.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

feedmyleg posted:

IIRC there's an ancient For Your Consideration screener that has the original theatrical colors, and there's a fan restoration floating around based on those colors.

e: and here are some screenshots from a fan-scanned 35mm print.

I swore it was way more green than this. Was it the dvd that was tinted?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I get why io wants to go red pill strawberries but the machine being excited about blue pill blueberries seemed ominous

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Enjoyed this more than I thought I would, probably the 2nd best Matrix movie overall. Really wish they brought back Laurence Fishbourne and Hugo Weaving for this though, their replacements did okay but really missed that extra bit of charisma the originals brought. Action was solid overall but wasn't quite on the level of the previous movies for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Enjoyed this more than I thought I would, probably the 2nd best Matrix movie overall. Really wish they brought back Laurence Fishbourne and Hugo Weaving for this though, their replacements did okay but really missed that extra bit of charisma the originals brought. Action was solid overall but wasn't quite on the level of the previous movies for me.

I can see why they didn't go for Laurence but yeah Hugo Weaving absolutely is a missing presence.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

Ha fair enough.
I suppose if you continue with all the Buddhist ideas in the matrix films, then rebirth will follow along after the Smith purge of everyone.

As I noted earlier in the thread, the Smiths are undead. They’re an uprising of the inhuman dehumanized.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

But now we’re back to the problem that Trinity identifies as a woman: “don’t you think she looks like me?” Before going into what the narrative is a metaphor for, you have to establish what’s actually going on in the narrative.

Once NPH takes off the stupid glasses, he becomes a cartoon character. The last scene is straight-up looney tunes, with Trinity bonking him on the head with a giant mallet as he bleeds green-censorship “robot blood”, etc. Even his inexplicable misogyny is cartoonish, like he’s the heel in a wrestling match.

Now, my take is that NPH is still acting as a therapist at this point - provoking the characters to violence, providing them with a concrete antagonist to act against, etc. Like the blue sunglasses in the opening scene, NPH’s cartoon villain act is preventing the characters from having a full-on breakdown - from having things get ‘too real’. Instead of being lost and directionless in her crisis, Trinity is clearly pushed to see her family as evil to be fought.

This explanation best accounts for how nothing NPH does makes any loving sense, and how the film doesn’t even go into it because it doesn’t matter. He’s just a mechanism.

“You have your analyst, I have my bikes.”

Are the motorcycles evil?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 31, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

PSXer
Aug 2, 2006

The most exciting use of 1s and 0s next to internet porn

mastershakeman posted:

I swore it was way more green than this. Was it the dvd that was tinted?

Depends on which one. The original DVD might have had a little green, but it wasn't incredibly obvious. When they made the sequels, they went back and remastered the DVD of the first one. That version was a lot more green. They probably did it so it matched up with the way the sequels looked.

Not sure about the blu-rays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PSXer posted:

Depends on which one. The original DVD might have had a little green, but it wasn't incredibly obvious. When they made the sequels, they went back and remastered the DVD of the first one. That version was a lot more green. They probably did it so it matched up with the way the sequels looked.

Not sure about the blu-rays

IIRC the blu-rays were like that too but the most recent releases of it tone it back down to be closer to its look in theaters and on the first DVD release