Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

It's taking an irritatingly, unexpectedly long time though

Legend says there have been many yammie noobs, and as each yeets into the stratosphere another silently takes its place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Legend? Have you seen that guy? Test tube baby if ever I’ve seen one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mail ordering parts is literally the worst

The package was sent to The Hague to testify against USPS for shipping crimes.

e: I'm in Canada in case that wasn't clear.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

The package was sent to The Hague to testify against USPS for shipping crimes.

e: I'm in Canada in case that wasn't clear.

This happens surprisingly often to those of us in Newfoundland. Always make sure they specify Canada on the label.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Martytoof posted:

I recently had to order a bunch of parts for my Monkey 125 that blew up. On the same day, I ordered parts from a shop in North Carolina, somewhere in Utah, and Japan. I live about 300 miles inland in Washington State.
The parts from Japan got here first, by a couple days. :confused: It's not just a single occurence, either. WeBike always gets my parts here super fast, even with the cheapest shipping. Which was cheaper than any of the shipping from the US shops.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Welp the Damon electric motorcycle concept hype kings got caught using Ducati's footage into their 'teaser' video and dipshit CEO Jay was forced to make a completely ham-fisted apology. Happy loving Christmas.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/damon-motorcycles-update-and-why-theres-a-ducati-in-a-damon-video

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It sounds like I should stop using megazip and start using webike.

Megazip just feels like the shadiest site on the planet, though both times I’ve ordered I ended up getting my parts after a month.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LodeRunner posted:

Welp the Damon electric motorcycle concept hype kings got caught using Ducati's footage into their 'teaser' video and dipshit CEO Jay was forced to make a completely ham-fisted apology. Happy loving Christmas.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/damon-motorcycles-update-and-why-theres-a-ducati-in-a-damon-video

It sucks they did this but I also feel like at this point on electric motorcycles I just want to see folks* actually deliver.

*looking at you and your trials bike, Yamaha. :argh:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’ve got this stupid idea that as a near middle aged dad I’ll be able to start attempting to learn trials riding and that drat Yamaha electric trials bike is not helping. I keep saying “ok when it’s available and affordable to me, I’ll get one and that’s when it’ll start.” Doesn’t help that once every few weeks I have the recurring dream in which I’m effortlessly doing trials bicycle stuff until I realize I can’t actually do that and then I wake up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The real trials are the e-bike frustrations we encountered along the way.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Martytoof posted:

The real trials are the e-bike frustrations we encountered along the way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Apologies for the horriffic pics, I was stoned and using the wrong lens with the wrong settings. Fifty internet points to the first person to diagnose this correctly. It's an air cooled 2t and all the information you need is in the pics.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My guess is it got too hot. Also they were using a diamond tipped drill bit instead of a spark plug.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

Also they were using a diamond tipped drill bit instead of a spark plug.

Lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
someone tried to make a meth pipe out of a piston

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Apologies for the horriffic pics, I was stoned and using the wrong lens with the wrong settings. Fifty internet points to the first person to diagnose this correctly. It's an air cooled 2t and all the information you need is in the pics.

I think the reason it's not running is the piston isn't inside the engine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lean.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think the reason it's not running is the piston isn't inside the engine.

the top end fell off

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's mostly this

FBS posted:

My guess is it got too hot. Also they were using a diamond tipped drill bit instead of a spark plug.

But also strangely a bit of this

When you run an engine lean, it effectively turns the spark plug into a pulse modulated cutting torch. There isn't enough fuel to complete the reaction, so the next best thing gets used - the alloy piston. What this looks like in practice is the plug heats up and weakens a spot in the middle of the piston which eventually just collapses through. These have a melted, saggy appearance though, not the drilled look of this one.

What happened in this particular case is the incredibly, stunningly stupid PO decided that in addition to throwing the airbox in the bin and poorly jamming on a pod filter, leading to chronic leanness, he'd also have a go at replacing the spark plug. With a completely incorrect one that reaches about 10mm further (they look nothing alike I don't know how you gently caress it up), so every time the piston got close to the plug it would effectively act like a plasma cutter.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Amazing that the spark plug was just long enough to zap the piston but not long enough to collide with it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Was the plug at least the correct heat range?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought it looked a bit "clean" for a lean problem, the rest of the piston aside from that hole looks almost ok. Was it supposed to be an NGK H length plug and they put an E length? On a tiny cylinder like that, it might raise the compression a bit too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There's a hole in your engine
Dear Slavvy, dear Slavvy
There's a hole in your engine
Dear Slavvy, a hole

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

It's mostly this

But also strangely a bit of this

When you run an engine lean, it effectively turns the spark plug into a pulse modulated cutting torch. There isn't enough fuel to complete the reaction, so the next best thing gets used - the alloy piston. What this looks like in practice is the plug heats up and weakens a spot in the middle of the piston which eventually just collapses through. These have a melted, saggy appearance though, not the drilled look of this one.

What happened in this particular case is the incredibly, stunningly stupid PO decided that in addition to throwing the airbox in the bin and poorly jamming on a pod filter, leading to chronic leanness, he'd also have a go at replacing the spark plug. With a completely incorrect one that reaches about 10mm further (they look nothing alike I don't know how you gently caress it up), so every time the piston got close to the plug it would effectively act like a plasma cutter.

Incredible.

How are people stupid enough to bodge a job this bad?

I don't know poo poo about fixing engines, but I sure as hell would learn about it before just banging any old sparepart lying around in it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So that is terrifying and now making me second guess anything I'm doing when re-assembling the engine when it comes to fuel/air mixture.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Reverse-Dunning-Kruger is your friend!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Reminds me a bit of working on 2-stroke Jetskis a bunch. I did this as a side job during summers for a while until I could no longer stand the customer aspect of customer service.
Jetsksi out of water means no load whatsoever on the engine, so if there's even a small air leak past the carburetor the engine will start revving to the moon and pushing stop isn't going to stop it because now the plug tip is glowing.
Most people panic at this point and do not know what to do. They will end up trying to disconnect the battery, stuff rags in the air intake or exhaust. The exhaust stuff will work, but the real solution is very counter-intuitive: Pull the throttle wide open while holding the stop button.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I thought it looked a bit "clean" for a lean problem, the rest of the piston aside from that hole looks almost ok. Was it supposed to be an NGK H length plug and they put an E length? On a tiny cylinder like that, it might raise the compression a bit too.

It was meant to be something like a br6h and they put in a bpr8e.

Martytoof posted:

So that is terrifying and now making me second guess anything I'm doing when re-assembling the engine when it comes to fuel/air mixture.

You don't have brain damage as far as I know, you'll be ok.

I'm not posting pics of the actual bike (very, very bad) or what kind of bike it is (very, very sad) because it looks like the new owner is going to attempt legal proceedings against the old owner because that hole only finally made it all the way through the piston on the ride home...

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

I've seen some of your DIY posts, and you're far too cautious and methodical to do something so stupid. I also don't know poo poo about engines, but I wouldn't look at an old spark plug next to that new one and think "yeah, good enough, what could go wrong?"

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

*sigh*

This is what $60 million in investor money gets you. Anyone in Vegas wanna to go CES and get a closer look at this abomination?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why is the brake line just resting up against the coil like that?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

You can find out for a mere $38,000.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is sooo much poo poo going on in just those two shots so I'll restrain myself to: jfc that foot peg, my fucken god

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Slavvy posted:

There is sooo much poo poo going on in just those two shots so I'll restrain myself to: jfc that foot peg, my fucken god

Remember the entire purpose of the company, at the start, was to market two things:

1. Cameras and sensors to assess threats and keep riders more safe.

2. Their SHIFT technology which allows a user to pivot the pegs and bar position on the fly to allow the rider to be more upright or more tucked on a whim.

Like, that was it. As far as I can tell someone offered them a big bag of money and said, "Make it". Not wanting to turn down a big bag of money they threw everything they had into a glorious marketing campaign, and the remaining $50 went into a used 3D printer. I'm basing this off the photos, though. I don't know what 3D printers cost.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It also appears to have a preposterously wide, almost horse-like seat and that bizarre concavity on top of the 'tank' that I presume is for your beer gut to flop into.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Slavvy posted:

It also appears to have a preposterously wide, almost horse-like seat and that bizarre concavity on top of the 'tank' that I presume is for your beer gut to flop into.

ehhhh, that just might be a bad angle

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

Remember the entire purpose of the company, at the start, was to market two things:

1. Cameras and sensors to assess threats and keep riders more safe.

2. Their SHIFT technology which allows a user to pivot the pegs and bar position on the fly to allow the rider to be more upright or more tucked on a whim.

:hmmyes:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UnnhitEcUbI

The idea a bike could honk down on the brakes while you go around a corner because it freaks out about a car it sees seems like a great idea.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Here's the release/news blurb:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220105005466/en/

quote:

CoPilot – 360˚ advanced warning system that uses radar, cameras and non-visual sensors to track the speed, direction and velocity of up to 64 moving objects around the motorcycle for unparalleled situational awareness

Curious how huge of a gimmick this is. Not a lot of details anywhere.

I can't find the weight listed anywhere either, probably not advertising it for obvious reasons with a 20kwh battery on-board. Can't be less than 600lb.

Edit;

After watching their YouTube ad, the best thing I like that would be cool is the rear facing camera turning on in your dash when you're coming to a stop. Granted my 30 dollar mirror does the same thing.

The second cool thing that could be integrated from all those sensors is a rough sonar map of cars behind to the side of you. Garmin has something like this with their Varia system for bicycles that alerts you as a car passing by you (via dots on your garmin).

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 6, 2022

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

In case y'all weren't up on their recent drama, there's this: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/damon-motorcycles-update-and-why-theres-a-ducati-in-a-damon-video

Also I took the liberty of comparing the powertrain shown in their recent video vs what is physically at CES today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Russian Bear posted:

The second cool thing that could be integrated from all those sensors is a rough sonar map of cars behind to the side of you. Garmin has something like this with their Varia system for bicycles that alerts you as a car passing by you (via dots on your garmin).

I've been noticing blind spot alert sensors on a lot of cars lately; it's just a red or amber pip that lights up in the wing mirror to say "check your blind spot".

Thoroughly useless in heavy traffic obviously but seems like a nice thing to have when things are a bit more spread out. No reason a bike couldn't have something similar.