Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Alctel posted:

It depends on what health authority you are in. I (and people I know) had no trouble getting tested in Island Health (even without symptoms), but apparently it was really tough to get tested in the vancouver coastal HA . Not sure about the others

Yeah the issue with Metro Vancouver is that all the testing centres have to be outdoors to be COVID safe and to have sufficient capacity for the population. Being in a historically unprecedented cold snap means they've shut them all down, presumably in part because they're not set up to be work safe in these temperatures. Unfortunately this has coincided with omicron going exponential.

And yeah I wonder about the test capacity stuff. They've maxed out at 20K tests per day. I'm not sure what the capacity is in other provinces, but Ontario reported 67K tests yesterday, and they have about three times the population of BC, so they definitely have at least sightly more capacity. Alberta, on the other hand, has barely had any days with more than 10K tests, with only slightly fewer people than BC.

So part of the issue is that people in BC are just more conscientious about getting tested than in Alberta, part of the issue is that we're also in a year-long slow environmental Armageddon, and part of the issue is not having the capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/ABBedClosures/status/1476620722919247884?s=20

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Icu trending down a bit, hospitalizations appear on the upswing. Appear to be following Ontario. Probably fine, I'm assured that this is the good COVID

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Icu trending down a bit, hospitalizations appear on the upswing. Appear to be following Ontario. Probably fine, I'm assured that this is the good COVID

Honestly makes sense. Vaccination protects from the kind of systemic infection of the lungs that puts people into the ICU but raw numbers means there will be more hospitalization just from how many are getting it and a percentage of that getting it bad

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I think in general this strain is just not as good at infecting the lungs. Really good at infecting the throat though.

Ontario is saying Omicron is 50% less likely to result in hospitalization or death than Delta. But its infecting so many people that the hospitals could still be overwhelmed.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/AnnieClaireBO/status/1476650422077202439?t=RTHGdSIi4_1cDy53znSJew&s=19

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Ontario: gently caress you everyone!

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Has there been any sort of policy change or support announced for people who need to go to work, have symptoms but can't get tested? It's easy to say people should just assume they have it and isolate, but how many people can just miss out on close to 2 weeks of pay? How many people could get fired for missing work without a positive test?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

Has there been any sort of policy change or support announced for people who need to go to work, have symptoms but can't get tested? It's easy to say people should just assume they have it and isolate, but how many people can just miss out on close to 2 weeks of pay? How many people could get fired for missing work without a positive test?

We uh, haven't thought that far ahead. In the meantime, please go stand in line for 2 hours to get a rapid test from an lcbo. Hopefully, but they'll probably run out before you get there. So uh...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Duck Rodgers posted:

50% off rapid tests at shoppers!!!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

Maybe a silver lining in the hospitalizations figure?

https://twitter.com/robynurback/status/1476652202953478146?s=21

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Starks posted:

they don't count those as "hospitalizations" under the provincial covid statistics

that's not how it works

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RBC posted:

they don't count those as "hospitalizations" under the provincial covid statistics

that's not how it works

IIRC they actually do. That's why they've been talking about separating the numbers in the coming days.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

RBC posted:

that's not how it works

How does it work?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC they actually do. That's why they've been talking about separating the numbers in the coming days.

lol maybe. It's reported by the hospital. lol, lmao at this province

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RBC posted:

lol maybe. It's reported by the hospital. lol, lmao at this province

To be fair as far as I know that's how most places have reported it until recently but it hasn't been much of an issue before Omicron's absurd infection rate since without a deep dive it's not always easy to tell.

Like some guy comes into the emergency room with low O2 and a prior positive COVID test. Okay sure that's one. But what about a patient admitted for a heart problems and on admission tests positive? Are they a COVID hospitalization? They're in the hospital and they definitely have COVID but at what seriousness do they count as a COVID patient? Do they become one if their lungs start to go south in conjunction with their heart? Do you remove them from the stats if they never develop serious symptoms? Etc...

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Starks posted:

i mean, maybe, but if you go into the hospital for a heart attack or stroke or cancer or whatever AND have covid, I doubt that is good for you

I just hate that we knew for like, at least a month, that there existed a highly transmissible variant and had time to plan for it, and the best we came up with is "maybe it won't be so bad??"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with "most positive RATs don't require PCR follow-up"? lmao

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Alctel posted:

I work for the BC Ministry of Education and basically what it is is that someone at the top (I'm not sure if it's the minister or if its the top layers of civil service) are ALL IN on the idea that in-school education for children is the most important thing above anything else for social reasons and educational outcomes.

Right, but for electoral and financial outcomes, the schools acting as daycares is equally important. I'll let you do your own research on whether politicians favour financial vs educational outcomes.

I don't agree with this at all (we need an actual daycare infrastructure) but that's how governments appear to be treating education. Like, it's not hard to figure out why kids that are old enough to look after themselves at home are also somehow instantly also capable of remote learning to most provincial governments.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBC posted:

Ontario: gently caress you everyone!

That's been the rest of Canada's attitude towards Ontario for decades now, so it's cool they're finally getting onboard with it themselves, I guess...

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
There it is - another three-week curfew for Québec that will last until June (if we’re lucky).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flashy_mcflash posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with "most positive RATs don't require PCR follow-up"? lmao

You're supposed to go gently caress yourself.

That's the over-riding message from all the governments in all provinces: just go gently caress yourself and die.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
4K confirmed COVID cases in Alberta, with our CMOH confirming recently that we were missing most even before PCR testing started to get restricted. Twice as many cases/day as the height of the worst spike

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Quebec:

10 pm curfew
All businesses closed on Sunday
Schools on January 17
Reduced timetable for covid healthcare workers
Vaccine passport to be expanded for non vaccinated
Restaurants takeout only
Private household gatherings are banned
All churches to close except for funerals

16k cases tomorrow
900 people in hospital
30% positivity.

Happy loving new year!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

stab posted:

All churches to close except for funerals

16k cases tomorrow
900 people in hospital
30% positivity.

So churches to remain open full time :haw:

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

And yeah I wonder about the test capacity stuff. They've maxed out at 20K tests per day. I'm not sure what the capacity is in other provinces, but Ontario reported 67K tests yesterday, and they have about three times the population of BC, so they definitely have at least sightly more capacity. Alberta, on the other hand, has barely had any days with more than 10K tests, with only slightly fewer people than BC.

Oh wow, Nova Scotia hit 9-10k tests per day for a week (just before Christmas iirc), though we’re usually doing more like 3-5k/day. Of course, that was right around the time they announced new restrictions on who could get PCR tests. I assumed other provinces would have significantly more capacity relative to their populations.

They announced booster doses for everyone aged 30+ in NS today, booking starts Monday. I’m assuming that I’ll be booking for some time in February-March if I’m lucky.

Also lol at our daycare pivoting from “no rapid tests accepted for kids under 3, you must get a PCR test if they have a cough or runny nose before they’re allowed back” to “they must have two negative rapid tests, 48 hours apart, or three negative tests if they’re unvaccinated”. And now you need an appointment to pick up a rapid test, so it might be 2-3 days before you can even get a test. Good thing kids never get sick in daycare!

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Doing that many rapid tests on a kid is pure torture for everyone involved.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've heard of swish-and-spit rapid tests in other countries, why haven't we got that?

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

PT6A posted:

I've heard of swish-and-spit rapid tests in other countries, why haven't we got that?

We have them, but they’re limited to 4+; younger kids would likely swallow it immediately or spit it out too soon. At least the rapid tests don’t need to go as deep as the PCR :shrug:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/KevinCTV/status/1476705963302264832?t=eDCTf_bQtGczXIQOimL5nw&s=19

I had thought they'd announce it tomorrow.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The extremely short notice makes me think this is going to be an epic shitshow.

It was something that couldn't be announced at 3:30 as scheduled today, but it needs to be announced before the rescheduled 3:30 press conference tomorrow. Oh boy!

EDIT: Either that or they wanted to announce it at 3:30 but delays meant that worthless rear end in a top hat's flight from Hawaii only arrived at 4 or something.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1476712854111752194?s=20

Extended... BUT FOR HOW LONG

(the press conference is late)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love how every single member of the UCP is too important to show up on time.

They're so powerful and important, if they stood with their legs more than shoulder width apart people would faint from the display of power.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
AB winter break extended until Jan 10.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wonder if this means all my Uni classes in Montreal will be Zoom/Online only. One for sure is but the other looks like it may be in class. :mad:

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Powershift posted:

I love how every single member of the UCP is too important to show up on time.

They're so powerful and important, if they stood with their legs more than shoulder width apart people would faint from the display of power.

Nobody can power stance like YFB.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Speaking of just wanting us all to die, I present Speedrunning by B. Henry:

B.C. considers allowing COVID-positive health-care staff to work

screaming

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenDoodle posted:

screaming

This is perfect though. You just have covid clinics where the staff and the patients all have covid.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ChickenDoodle posted:

screaming

Not defending it at all, but this is in line with what the CDC is saying about only taking 5 days isolation with asymptomatic cases

However, I haven't really seen anything that makes you less likely to spread stuff if you are asymptomatic though so I don't know if it's just wishful thinking or if we are running out of healthcare workers

edit: reading the press conference, it seems to be more a 'last ditch thing if we get totally hosed by Omicron' which suggests someone has looked at some future forecasts and they are Not Good At All

Alctel fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

It bears mentioning that the CDC recommendation is not based on fact but on Delta Airlines request.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/29/1068731487/delta-ceo-asks-cdc-to-cut-quarantine