Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Izzzyzzz looks back on My Little Pony creepypastas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i695xyu86zU

Eyebrow Cinema (a channel I recently discovered through Youtube's recommendations) looks a bit closer at whether it really is valid to compare modern superhero movies to the westerns of the 40s-70s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiV-bOulZl8

Bright Sun Films digs into the harrowing story of the sinking of the Achille Lauro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-7RGBfR4Cs

SF Debris, being a fan of neither anime or EDM, shares his thoughts on Interstella 5555:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOp8EToGj0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1476603594833108992

I can't wait to watch a timely Harry Potter review.

Oh wait, thats true? :stare:

It really has been a long time since I read those

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Acerbatus posted:

Anyways my crackpot theory is that growing up on social media has made a lot of young people lose their goddamn minds which is why you get arguments over if shipping lumine and childe is a moral failing or whatever.

I suspect part of it is also isolation making people grow more attached to fictional characters and hating seeing them portrayed wrong, and I mean I kinda get it. I don't like that either! But setting out to destroy it via harassment instead of idk, writing a negative review is obviously hosed.

A lot of the really infamous shipping wars happened well before the pandemic, and I think the actual shipping part is immaterial to the actual problem. The primary cause is people really wanting to tribalize and have an enemy to fight because it feels good to be angry and even better when you can convince yourself you're justified.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"something something Young Impressionable Queer Youths something"
-SarahZ, probably

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr.Radar posted:

SF Debris, being a fan of neither anime or EDM, shares his thoughts on Interstella 5555:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOp8EToGj0
i'm infuriated that he refers to interstella 5555 as "very obscure" but i also can't formulate any kind of argument against it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I suspect part of it is also isolation making people grow more attached to fictional characters and hating seeing them portrayed wrong, and I mean I kinda get it. I don't like that either! But setting out to destroy it via harassment instead of idk, writing a negative review is obviously hosed.

I think it's just that time moving forward and all this crazy poo poo getting pushed to everyone as they're growing up just leads to them assuming that's the normal way to interact with people online, since they were younger and had less time for stuff like 'Don't put your identity online, don't give out information about yourself, etc etc.' to be the status quo.

Basically my understanding of it is if you grow up surrounded by people that make deranged 6 paragraph 1-star yelp reviews, you assume that's the normal way to interact with people. Like growing up and finding out something you or your family do is strange or not common, like having beds with a dog bed attachment or being able to roll your tongue or putting the salt in the fridge or something.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

Izzzyzzz looks back on My Little Pony creepypastas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i695xyu86zU
The other places where i lurked(Knowyourmeme for the record) talked and posted this stuff so i seen some poo poo.

IIRC Izzy got the premise for that Rarity blog wrong. It's more about her being isolated in her workhome and having the girl version of "Whyboners" over getting turned on by killer!pinkie pie and her self harm. It was always horny about it.

The derailment she talked about did happen tho. It's just it was partly an intensification of what was already there while also being where she turned into (an attempted) killer. The blog got nuked before she pulled it off and for good reason.

It's a very cringly memory. I'm not sure i'm the same rubbernecker anymore.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Markus going for paid promotion to weather the inevitable copyright strike.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

I think it's just that time moving forward and all this crazy poo poo getting pushed to everyone as they're growing up just leads to them assuming that's the normal way to interact with people online, since they were younger and had less time for stuff like 'Don't put your identity online, don't give out information about yourself, etc etc.' to be the status quo.

Basically my understanding of it is if you grow up surrounded by people that make deranged 6 paragraph 1-star yelp reviews, you assume that's the normal way to interact with people. Like growing up and finding out something you or your family do is strange or not common, like having beds with a dog bed attachment or being able to roll your tongue or putting the salt in the fridge or something.

That's what I meant with the first half, yeah.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
The issue is that ultimately anime and manga is a mistake

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, gently caress off with that racist-rear end meme.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Basically, the internet makes you stupid.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
anime is good actually

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

I watched a single episode of pokemon and i was disgusted to see it was about forcing sentient creatures into a confined space for the purposes of bloodsport dog fighting

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

edogawa rando posted:

Calling if a racist meme as if the majority of people in Japan don’t strongly agree that it’s intensely weird for an adult to be really into anime and manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

imagine thinking anime is uniquely deranged when supernatural exists

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh wait, thats true? :stare:

It really has been a long time since I read those

https://twitter.com/koehrm/status/1476604231197073412

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

LanceHunter posted:

Calling if a racist meme as if the majority of people in Japan don’t strongly agree that it’s intensely weird for an adult to be really into anime and manga.

https://youtu.be/d2FGgYp6mdk

Being really into anime and manga is very different from being a clueless weeb or deranged otaku, so I'm gonna disagree on that claim.

That and that remark has become pretty transparently weird on the way some people blunder in on the merest mention to use it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

:chloe:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

LanceHunter posted:

Do you happen to know what the reader demographics are for weekly shonen jump, the biggest manga publication in the world

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
why do you people get baited so easily?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anime discussion was a mistake.

But it's my kind of trash to enjoy reading.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

complete lack of pattern recognition

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LanceHunter posted:

yeah but the majority of people in japan think it's intensely weird for an adult to have any hobbies at all besides alcoholism.

the problems with anime exist in media across the world.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo_Crimson posted:

The premise being that it’s racist, and pushing back against racism is good even if it’s “just” trolling to rile people up

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

The premise being that it’s racist, and pushing back against racism is good even if it’s “just” trolling to rile people up

It's wrong but it's just a shitpost that even anime fans use all the time.

It didn't get heated but not anything to care about.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy A. Person posted:

Well then the pushback is "actually the Japanese view any fun as bad except drinking" and then we get stuck in The Racist Loop

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If you say anything generally negative about Japan the ADTRW crew (none of which are Japanese AFAIK) will get insufferable and call you out for xenophobia.

I GUESS maybe if you talk about overworking you can get away with it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea to be clear I wasn’t the one saying it was racist, that’s a larger discussion, just responding to the idea that people are being easily baited. If you do think it’s racist obviously you’re going to push back I think that’s distinct from being baited

sexpig by night posted:

Well then the pushback is "actually the Japanese view any fun as bad except drinking" and then we get stuck in The Racist Loop

Not unfair but a single person said that when there were multiple other posters responding without being insulting right back

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dias posted:

If you say anything generally negative about Japan the ADTRW crew (none of which are Japanese AFAIK) will get insufferable and call you out for xenophobia.

what

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dias posted:

baka

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

imagine thinking anime is uniquely deranged when supernatural exists

No, you see, we're not aloud to push back, and the only contribution expected of us yellows is to go "ching chong wing wong ping pong bing bong sank yoo sank yoo waito jeezasu." Funny how there'll multipage discussions about the appropriateness of invoking the experience of some groups of people in this thread, but when it's us loving slanty-eyed Asians, it's all "why are you getting baited?" "It's nothing to care about." Collectively, go gently caress yourselves. Not you, though. At least you're on the right track here.

Dias posted:

Pardon me for taking issue with the suggestion that problems that can be found in just about any fandom is unique to us yerrow peopre. Prease to terring me how to feer about thissu kaindo of lacism.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hmm, yes, why do people take issue with racism? It truly is a mystery.

Rockit posted:

It's wrong but it's just a shitpost that even anime fans use all the time.

It didn't get heated but not anything to care about.

No, go on, please explain to me how this kind of casual racism against people of my ethnicity is nothing to care about.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 31, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Now that’s some loving pushback!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
40 year old housewives that probably haven't seen an anime in their life were up in arms over Edward vs Jacob. We can homegrow our own insanity without having to take overly-online weebs into the equation, thank you very much.

And yeah, the "anime was a mistake" meme spills over into actual anti-asian racism uncomfortably often, even if the original intent was probably more "stop getting invested in kid's shows."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If you're about to write a response, be it a long treatise on why I'm in the wrong for taking issue and offence to something that has clear racist implications, or even a drive-by, "duh, got baited lol" shitpost, ask yourself why it's so loving important to you, and then punch yourself in the face, you racist gaslighting gently caress.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You are getting angry over someone I know is into anime or anime adjacent things posting the oldest anime is bad bait SA can offer. Just saying.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dias posted:

You are getting angry over someone I know is into anime or anime adjacent things posting the oldest anime is bad bait SA can offer. Just saying.

Oh cool cool cool cool cool cool cool, that makes it all OK. I had no idea "thing is old" means it's acceptable racism. Oh boy, is there egg on my face.

edogawa rando posted:

If you're about to write a response, be it a long treatise on why I'm in the wrong for taking issue and offence to something that has clear racist implications, or even a drive-by, "duh, got baited lol" shitpost, ask yourself why it's so loving important to you, and then punch yourself in the face, you racist gaslighting gently caress.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think the weird thing is that to everyone that's not American animes are just another type of cartoon unless you stumble into the ecchi poo poo.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
:gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dias posted:

I think the weird thing is that to everyone that's not American animes are just another type of cartoon unless you stumble into the ecchi poo poo.

Oh, so is that why I'm not permitted to take issue with something that veers far too often into racism against my ethnicity? I had no idea! SANK YOU VELY MUCCHI FOL INFOLMING ME OF ZISSU!

Have you got any other pathetic excuses for a lovely, racist meme? When a person from the ethnic group that is treated as the butt of a racist joke says "hey, knock it off with that racism," the correct response isn't to try to justify the perpetuation of it and explain why they're in the wrong for being offended, you loving turd.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 31, 2021