Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr

hallo spacedog posted:

This looks delicious, awesome work.
I did not know about Kombu but it's not surprising at this point to hear that.

Thanks! Oh yeah also the answer is iherb for easy kombu, but its also possible to find a gazillion ebay sellers who will just ship it direct from japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BIG BABY JESUS posted:

Thanks! Oh yeah also the answer is iherb for easy kombu, but its also possible to find a gazillion ebay sellers who will just ship it direct from japan.

Good to know - it is not (yet?) Illegal here in the US but who knows if that will change at any point.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If the US government doesn't care enough to regulate arsenic in our drinking water, I doubt they'll worry about it in our seaweed.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If the US government doesn't care enough to regulate arsenic in our drinking water, I doubt they'll worry about it in our seaweed.

I would think so too but they banned those lychee gummi cup things that I loved in highschool so it's kinda like their priorities are just hosed up enough to somehow care maybe.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Didn't they ban those lychee cups because Americans can't be trusted to chew food, like Kinder Eggs?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

angerbeet posted:

Didn't they ban those lychee cups because Americans can't be trusted to chew food, like Kinder Eggs?

Yes, I just think it's a dumb rear end priority to regulate

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

angerbeet posted:

Kinder Eggs were banned because the chocolate isn't (wasn't?) Pasteurized. We had a similar product with USDA-approved chocolate. Plenty of people choke on those konnyaku cups in Japan, so let's not go insulting entire nations over incorrect info.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Kinder Eggs were banned because the chocolate isn't (wasn't?) Pasteurized. We had a similar product with USDA-approved chocolate. Plenty of people choke on those konnyaku cups in Japan, so let's not go insulting entire nations over incorrect info.

Kinder eggs are banned in the US because the toys inside contain small parts.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I bought kinder eggs in America this week homies…It has this sweet micromachine toy!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

djfooboo posted:

I bought kinder eggs in America this week homies…It has this sweet micromachine toy!

The ones sold in the US are Kinder Joys, with the toy not inside a chocolate egg. Kinder Surprises are still banned.

ETA: The Act that Congress enacted that eventually led to Kinder Surprises being banned also was the result of a pretty huge tragedy of negligence, leading to just over 100 deaths, mostly children. So while they don't themselves cause deaths very often (though it has happened), there was a very good reason for the 1938 Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act being put in place.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 21, 2021

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I apologize for this derail

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Has anyone ever prepared rice porridge for a baby before? Is the wateriest setting on the rice cooker good? Do I need to do anything additional to make it ok for baby to eat? Also, if refrigerated will it keep for a few days or does it need to be discarded/eaten?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hallo spacedog posted:

Has anyone ever prepared rice porridge for a baby before? Is the wateriest setting on the rice cooker good? Do I need to do anything additional to make it ok for baby to eat? Also, if refrigerated will it keep for a few days or does it need to be discarded/eaten?

Yes, the wateriest setting is good. You can squish up the grains a little more if needed, but you don't need to do anything else. It can be refrigerated for a few days but freezing is more practical/convenient. I used to freeze it in ice cube trays.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

LyonsLions posted:

Yes, the wateriest setting is good. You can squish up the grains a little more if needed, but you don't need to do anything else. It can be refrigerated for a few days but freezing is more practical/convenient. I used to freeze it in ice cube trays.

Thanks! I don't know why I did not think of the ice cube trays since I do all the other baby purees that way too :doh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What kind of seasonings do you use when you puree a baby?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

What kind of seasonings do you use when you puree a baby?

I definitely walked right into that one.
We are doing seasonal stuff so I made butternut squash, cranberry and turnip... I'm betting Japanese sweet potato, kabocha and maybe even daikon would make tasty baby food too.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
My ranking of furikake flavors:

1. Salmon
2. Shiso
3. Nori tama
4. Plain

Last place: umeboshi, just get actual umeboshi because I just bought this and can't wait to finish it.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 3, 2021

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Kevin DuBrow posted:

My ranking of furikake flavors:

1. Salmon
2. Shiso
3. Nori tama
4. Plain

Last place: umeboshi, just get actual umeboshi because I just bought this and can't wait to finish it.

I agree about shiso but I like seto fumi a lot too

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

I definitely walked right into that one.
We are doing seasonal stuff so I made butternut squash, cranberry and turnip... I'm betting Japanese sweet potato, kabocha and maybe even daikon would make tasty baby food too.

JOC has a whole article on baby food in Japan including appropriate foods and preparations at a given age.
https://www.justonecookbook.com/baby-food-in-japan/

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Edward IV posted:

JOC has a whole article on baby food in Japan including appropriate foods and preparations at a given age.
https://www.justonecookbook.com/baby-food-in-japan/

This is really cool, that site has everything. Thank you for the link!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone have a recommended recipe for making aburaage for kitsune udon? My Asian market doesn't sell the premade ones.

Tofu firmness, frying time and temperature, all that would help, thanks.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I start with really firm cotton tofu, cut the block into five slices (half an inch thick?) deep fry them in not too hot canola, so that it bubbles nicely until golden brown. I don't bother with frying them twice. After they are done frying I pour boiling water over them to flush out the oil. You have to be a bit careful to not overcook them, so that they remain flexible enough to be filled when used for inarizushi but for kitsune udon, they'll get softened anyways.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I've made a couple of JOC recipes this week and am pretty happy overall with how they came out.

I made ginger pork and her kimchi gyoza hot pot.
Both were a big hit.

The ginger pork in question

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Looks great.

I've been thinking about trying to do shabu shabu over winter. Is the best thing to do just to get a donabe and a little burner? What's easiest?

Also, does anyone have a suribachi? If so, would you/do you use it for grinding spices or would that mess it up and/or not work well? I just got a molcajete which is great for its intended purposes of salsas etc. but I'm missing having a smaller mortar and pestle for grinding cumin/allspice/whatever and have always been interested in a suribachi...

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Scythe posted:

Looks great.

I've been thinking about trying to do shabu shabu over winter. Is the best thing to do just to get a donabe and a little burner? What's easiest?

Also, does anyone have a suribachi? If so, would you/do you use it for grinding spices or would that mess it up and/or not work well? I just got a molcajete which is great for its intended purposes of salsas etc. but I'm missing having a smaller mortar and pestle for grinding cumin/allspice/whatever and have always been interested in a suribachi...

If you don't mind using an electric heating element you could buy an induction burner or regular hot plate and use an appropriately sized pot. If I didn't already have a hand me down hot pot setup that's what I would do since each component can theoretically be put to use in other contexts.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Scythe posted:

Looks great.

I have an iwatani portable butane stove and a pot like this that I use for hot pot frequently. Donabe are good too but be careful not to over scorch them etc. I use the pot for hot pot in everyday cooking as well. Here is a photo of the setup from my last hot pot:

I had a suribachi but mostly ended up using it to grind sesame seeds honestly.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Thinking about picking up a zojirushi because I have end of year rewards points through one of my vendors. I'm definitely not hardcore enough to go for one of the pressure induction ones but what's the practical difference between induction and a regular micom model?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The induction kind is supposed to heat more evenly from all sides rather than heating from below.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Thanks for the recs for hot pot stuff--I wouldn't have thought to look at induction burners but it makes perfect sense combined with a reasonably-shaped pot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got some concentrated tonkatsu packets but the writing is entirely in Japanese so I'm not sure how much water is needed per packet of soup base.

I'm not even sure how much is in each packet.

Japanese Noodles Tonkotsu Ramen Concentration Pork Bone Soup, 1-Pounds, 10 Packs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K69ZK46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_P4MKB60305E9MJXAWK97?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is the product.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Can you post a better picture? The text on the Amazon pic is tiny. Most of it is just an ingredient list, but the bottom bit I can see 270 ml in there and the rest is too fuzzy to make out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

One packet in 270 ml water, I believe. My Japanese is awful so hopefully someone can check me here.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Specifically hot water to prevent clumping but yes, that's correct

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

We did our annual tradition of NYE sukiyaki dinner and it was once again very delicious. I've used JOCs recipe a few times and it's been a good success.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

We did our annual tradition of NYE sukiyaki dinner and it was once again very delicious. I've used JOCs recipe a few times and it's been a good success.

That looks delicious!

I was going to make duck soba for dinner tonight. Instead I made some margaritas and am preheating the oven for a pizza.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

captkirk posted:

That looks delicious!

I was going to make duck soba for dinner tonight. Instead I made some margaritas and am preheating the oven for a pizza.

Nothing wrong with some tasty margaritas and pizza. I can't drink much unfortunately right now (as we have a 7 month old) but I enjoyed half a beer.

Also, it was kinda fun to think she would get to enjoy the sukiyaki with us next year too.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Nothing wrong with some tasty margaritas and pizza. I can't drink much unfortunately right now (as we have a 7 month old) but I enjoyed half a beer.

Also, it was kinda fun to think she would get to enjoy the sukiyaki with us next year too.

Looking at your picture are those greens mitsuba or parsley? I would assume mitsuba but it definitely looks pretty parsley-y to me.

And from my from my friends and brothers it definitely seems like the best part of having kids is being able to introduce them to cool things.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

captkirk posted:

Looking at your picture are those greens mitsuba or parsley? I would assume mitsuba but it definitely looks pretty parsley-y to me.

And from my from my friends and brothers it definitely seems like the best part of having kids is being able to introduce them to cool things.

They're chrysanthemum greens, sometimes known as shungiku or tong ho. Probably my favorite part of sukiyaki outside of the shirataki and tofu.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

:whatup:

Of course, I don't have a hotpot stove and pot but that works out fine since I'm the only one that eats hot pot. Having the island next to the stove really helps with cooking and eating hot pot on the stove.

And for those wondering, the egg looks like that because it's been pasteurized so that, after beating them, I can dip the meat into it and it is divine.

Also, note to self. Do not confuse sukiyaki sauce with red wine. OK I didn't actually inadvertently take a swig of the sauce thinking it was the wine since they were in very different containers but I did very briefly pause when going for the wine.