Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Oh dope, another electroformer. I put it down a while back because i didn’t like loving with the acid copper bath in my unventilated living room but it’s cool stuff.

afaik you actually can directly plate brass onto stuff by using brass metal as the sacrificial anode, don’t quote me on that but i recall base alloy plating being fairly routine when reading industry scuttlebutt.

also if you wanna do really cool stuff with electroforming, get some low-melting alloys for electroforming mandrels- they cast into molds at very low temperatures, they’re inherently conductive so you can plate onto them without any intermediary conductive layer like silver paint, and best of all you can just melt the alloy out of the copper formed object afterwards, leaving you with an extremely thin-walled and delicate holloware copper form of almost any shape or level of detail. electroforming over melt-away metal mandrels allows you to make some seriously intricate + delicate hollow forms of a sort you can’t fabricate with any other technique. it’s one way to make heat pipes to any configuration you require without needing any dedicated tooling, or you can backfill the copper forms with other materials like incompressible mineral-filled epoxy resins or stronger tooling alloys to produce very durable yet cheap and accessible metal forming press tools. those are my main interests, anyhow. i’ve also seen people use this approach to make very particular/fine-tuned antennas and RF components that need very specific geometries to work correctly and are difficult to make any other way, but i’ve never hosed with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I was TIG welding some mild steel tube together last night and had a problem I've never had before, sudden large blowouts/holes in an otherwise stable weld. I'd be going along like normal running a bead and all of a sudden the arc would turn green like it picked up some contamination and a hole would start to form and suddenly run back along the bead like 1/2" without warning, no popping or spitting, just like the bead suddenly wicked back on itself and took a bunch of metal with it.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Tube was pretty clean and I didn't think I was contaminating my electrode but I was working in a different position/torch orientation than I usually do. This was on both butt joints and inside corner joints.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Was it closing a sealed tube? I've had the last bit of weld blow out / contaminate from escaping pressure at the end.

I've also gotten argon with I think moisture in it that drove me mad with inconsistency. Did you swap tanks recently?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Tubes were all open, and this started happening halfway through the welding session so I don't think it was a gas issue, though I recently had problems with too much gas flow leading to random contamination and spitting. At this point I'm kind of thinking it was coolant from the cold saw that had dried in the tube or something, I couldn't fully wipe the inside of the tubes out so maybe thats it?

It ended up being good hole filling practice though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

My gas issue was intermittent enough I didn't solve it until after replacing my torch, the tube/cable thing that connects it, my ground, and giving the welder a tuneup.

It would weld great, go to poo poo, id fiddle with the welder, welds fine again for a while.

Check the date stamp on your tank. Guy at the welding shop said it can be an issue when they fill a new tank. I have no idea if mine was new or not.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Tubes were all open, and this started happening halfway through the welding session so I don't think it was a gas issue, though I recently had problems with too much gas flow leading to random contamination and spitting. At this point I'm kind of thinking it was coolant from the cold saw that had dried in the tube or something, I couldn't fully wipe the inside of the tubes out so maybe thats it?

It ended up being good hole filling practice though.

Magnetized work? I have had this more with stick welding when doing multi pass welds. The weld current can magnetize the work and you get really weird arc and puddle behavior. I have heard this referred to as arc blow. Fix is to run AC for a bit or reverse the direction of the weld. Sometime peening the weld while it is hot can help as well.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
The blacksmith at my local maker space was looking to re-condition an old 200lb anvil. The anvil has a steel face over a wrought iron base that was forged together. The steel top layer was worn through in places and the face was badly crowned. I volunteered to mill it flat on my CNC so that a new face can be welded on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fNQw3LNJa0

Went though a few inserts doing this as the cut passed through a combination of hard high carbon steel, wrought iron, and slag/flux at the interface layer. Cut beautifully when the inserts were new but as soon as one chipped, there was a light show.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I was TIG welding some mild steel tube together last night and had a problem I've never had before, sudden large blowouts/holes in an otherwise stable weld. I'd be going along like normal running a bead and all of a sudden the arc would turn green like it picked up some contamination and a hole would start to form and suddenly run back along the bead like 1/2" without warning, no popping or spitting, just like the bead suddenly wicked back on itself and took a bunch of metal with it.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Tube was pretty clean and I didn't think I was contaminating my electrode but I was working in a different position/torch orientation than I usually do. This was on both butt joints and inside corner joints.

Agree with others it sounds like a gas issue.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for the advice, checked the tank and it's a new fill from the gas store but no one else is running into this issue, it's a shared setup at the shop.

I've been running mostly test coupons on smaller pieces of material and as I'm not worried about warping I've been just banging out welds without letting stuff cool, one of the guys at the shop said I might just be overheating the whole piece and eventually weird stuff happens when it all gets hot enough.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ZincBoy posted:

The blacksmith at my local maker space was looking to re-condition an old 200lb anvil. The anvil has a steel face over a wrought iron base that was forged together. The steel top layer was worn through in places and the face was badly crowned. I volunteered to mill it flat on my CNC so that a new face can be welded on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fNQw3LNJa0

Went though a few inserts doing this as the cut passed through a combination of hard high carbon steel, wrought iron, and slag/flux at the interface layer. Cut beautifully when the inserts were new but as soon as one chipped, there was a light show.

That is very satisfying

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm putting a fair number of weld nuts into one side of rectangular tubing and it's causing it to bow pretty good, I'm letting each area cool before doing the next. Any ways to reduce bowing? All I can think of is clamping it to my welding table, but seems like the bow would just spring in after it's released?

It's not a major issue, just wondering if there's a truck I'm missing.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm putting a fair number of weld nuts into one side of rectangular tubing and it's causing it to bow pretty good, I'm letting each area cool before doing the next. Any ways to reduce bowing? All I can think of is clamping it to my welding table, but seems like the bow would just spring in after it's released?

It's not a major issue, just wondering if there's a truck I'm missing.

There are a few options to try to mitigate bowing.
Clamping the part flat helps. Reducing fitup gaps if your material thickness is low enough can also help because there is less space for weld metal to fill then subsequently shrink together.

The best but also most difficult option is to compensate the warping by clamping it or moving it the opposite direction. For example, when you weld a T joint, you might, instead of tacking it at 90 degrees, leave it more obtuse becuase you expect the weld to pull it a few degrees tighter.

For your situation i'd try putting some shims under the tube in the middle and then clamp the ends down to create a counter-bow in the tubing. Weld while clamped, let cool, release praying you estimated right.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Utilizing a thousand dollars worth of precision machinery and countless hours, I have accomplished a feat most astonishing: reducing a small bit of steel rod to a slightly smaller bit of steel rod

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Utilizing a thousand dollars worth of precision machinery and countless hours, I have accomplished a feat most astonishing: reducing a small bit of steel rod to a slightly smaller bit of steel rod

Feels great doesn't it?

One time I used my 5 axis at work to put 5 holes in a rectangle so I didn't have to buy it from someone else for $100.

:iia:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

honda whisperer posted:

Feels great doesn't it?

One time I used my 5 axis at work to put 5 holes in a rectangle so I didn't have to buy it from someone else for $100.

:iia:

A friend of mine had to make a few dozen small (1" x 1" x 2") delrin widgets for something at work. She priced them out with local shops, and even in that quantity, they were several hundred dollars apiece.

She made some workholding for the 2 setups and ran the job on her taig mill at home. It took her maybe 2 days of work all told, at a consumables cost of a single widget at the quoted price.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bought a new sauna heater

It heats the underside of the floor pretty well, which is tile. I am worried it might hurt the tiles and also the water membrane underneath (though this area is pretty dry), but a commercial floor plate was like 130-170 euros, which is a lot for sheet metal and four feet. I was considering just placing a bunch of garden stones on the floor, but I had all the parts in my garage to make a metal one, aside from the four feet. Just tack welded some square tubing in three places to stiffen it up and painted it with heat resistant paint.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Made a vertical hook rack for a belated Christmas gift over the long weekend and I thought it turned out nice!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Any recommendations for completely getting rid of mill scale?

I have a 3/8” thick 18x26 piece of steel, I need it to be absolutely spotless, both sides. I don’t want to ruin the flatness of the surface, so grinding or flapper disc is out.

I read that vinegar will do it, but it’s a bit large for a bath, so I laid paper towels on it and soaked them, but after a couple hours, I can’t really tell that anything has changed.

I started to attack it with a sander and 60 grit, and that works, technically, but it’ll take an absurd amount of time to get it all off.

Is there a better approach here that I should know about? Does naval jelly work on this stuff? A stronger acid? Find a way to actually do the vinegar bath and also be more patient?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What about a grinder with a cup brush on it?
One like this with the twisted bristles might do the trick.
The bristles are stiff as gently caress when they're twisted like that.
https://www.amazon.ca/Forney-72757-...567404943&psc=1

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Brushed mild steel has such a nice look to it, that said I'm not sure how well it removes millscale on its own.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I tried a brass bristle cup brush on my drill, it did a whole lot of nothing. I guess I’m gonna let my vinegar-soaked paper towels sit for the night, if that doesn’t do any more, I’ll try a steel wire brush of some sort, thanks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bad Munki posted:

I tried a brass bristle cup brush on my drill, it did a whole lot of nothing. I guess I’m gonna let my vinegar-soaked paper towels sit for the night, if that doesn’t do any more, I’ll try a steel wire brush of some sort, thanks.

Twisted, steel wire cup wheel on an angle grinder is vastly different tool than brass wheel on a drill, so don’t discount it just because your drill didn’t do much. It’s probably the best option for mechanically removing the scale short of a needle scaler. No idea if there is a way to do it chemically.

E: google says muriatic acid is stronger than vinegar and works better? Should be available in the concrete section.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 31, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The biggest issue with the bath is the awkwardness of the thing, finding a flat container I can lay it down in. Wouldn’t even need all that much acid, be it vinegar or something meaner, it’s just a large footprint.

Anyhow, looks like I have a couple options to try, will post a trip report one way or another.

e: Actually, wife had a really good point about the bath just now. A frame of a few 2x4s on the ground with a plastic sheet draped over is all I need.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 31, 2021

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Bad Munki posted:

I have a 3/8” thick 18x26 piece of steel, I need it to be absolutely spotless, both sides. I don’t want to ruin the flatness of the surface, so grinding or flapper disc is out.

I read that vinegar will do it, but it’s a bit large for a bath, so I laid paper towels on it and soaked them, but after a couple hours, I can’t really tell that anything has changed.

I started to attack it with a sander and 60 grit, and that works, technically, but it’ll take an absurd amount of time to get it all off.

Is there a better approach here that I should know about? Does naval jelly work on this stuff? A stronger acid? Find a way to actually do the vinegar bath and also be more patient?

If the mill scale is a thin, even, flat patina of oxidation, I'd wash it with soap and water (oils and all), dry it, then hit it with rust remover jelly (the kind with phosphoric & gluconic acids). Only thing is the rust remover may leave a thin phosphate coating on the surface which will unevenly darken the steel if you leave it on too long.

Muriatic acid would certainly remove the scale, but it's hazardous and can cause pitting corrosion. This was my first choice for de-rusting a tiny anvil a few months back, but I took one look at the container they sell at HD and realized I would not be able to handle or store it safely. The fact that it was stacked on a smashed pallet with containers falling off and a few obviously spilled did not inspire confidence either.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Even a really aggressive wire wheel on an angle grinder won't remove any significant amount of mill scale. It'll polish most of it and strip off the loose stuff, but that's all.

Muriatic works as a direct application with some rags keeping it wet, but it's a lot nastier than vinegar (which imo is the best option and sounds like that's your plan, the plastic sheet and some blocking is what I've done for bigger stuff).

For physically removing it, 3m bristle discs work extremely well. Just have to avoid hitting sharp ends/corners as it'll knock off the teeth.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40064937/

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Bad Munki posted:

See 7:42 if the link doesn't take you right there. He does pretty much exactly what you are looking to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj_XeepJvlE&t=462s

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Patience was, as always, the key. Left it like this on my way to bed last night:

After a quick wipe down this morning, it looked like this:

Still some thick, persistent chunks, but most of it slipped right off in chips of varying sizes, very satisfying, and the remaining bits I’m content to go back to my previous mechanical methods, since that’ll be part of the process anyhow.

After working through various grits to what’s surely good enough for my purposes, I’m pretty satisfied.

Now on to side 2…which I recognize I should have done the bath on before putting in the extra cleanup effort, but I just had to know how it was going to turn out, even if I have to go back and repeat some of the process.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As stated, I’m still doing the backside, and I was going to just do the paper towel thing overnight again, but we got snow coming and my wife has to go in to work at 5AM, so I need to clear this out of her side of the garage. Which also nixes the 2x4 tub frame on the floor.

And then I realized the box my air filters just came in is perfect, and the basement bathroom is unused now that everyone has left post-holiday. Perfect!

Also, Lowe’s carries 30% vinegar instead of the 5% I had on hand before. Perfect. Bathroom fan should vent any noxious odors as needed.

Off we go!

Update: well that worked incredibly well:

Good to know!

Is it worth filtering/reclaiming the used vinegar here? It was basically a gallon. Mostly just wondering how much potency it likely lost during this process.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 1, 2022

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

That looks really good. I didn't know vinegar came in percentages?

Is this going to be a baking steel?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Is it worth filtering/reclaiming the used vinegar here? It was basically a gallon. Mostly just wondering how much potency it likely lost during this process.

I'm sure it's nearly as good as new. I'd pour it through a coffee filter or something and save it for another project.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You can reuse it a few times, especially if you're only using it for removing millscale. I filter it out slightly through a rag to keep it from being super gross. I don't know if it eventually breaks down, but after 3-4 uses it seems to work a lot slower.

e:fb

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

A Proper Uppercut posted:

The higher potency ones wont be at your grocer. You can find high percentage horticultural vinegar at some garden centers. Decent alternative for killin weeds and grass that isnt round up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yup! Made to fit the grill just the way I want, and the oven.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 5, 2022

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

uguu posted:

I'd like to make an earring.
Don't have access to a forge or anything fancy.
Would silver be my best bet? Or are there any other metals I should consider?
Anything I can just hammer out and then I guess chisel?

I made something with PMC, as per Trabant's suggestion, with some help from a local silversmith.
The clay broke a couple of times unfortunately, so it had to be soldered back together and it doesn't fit quite right.
But I can probably bend it into shape when I get home and have a vise.
Pretty happy with it all in all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

uguu fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 5, 2022

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Forgive my hair, please.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm working on (among a jillion other little projects) restoring an iron post leg vise right now, via a combination of wire brush on the angle grinder and evapo-rust. I have a few questions for the much more knowledgeable people in the thread:

1) The evapo-rust has gotten all parts except the sliding handle to come loose within the screw, which is still resisting my various gentle hammer taps (I'm paranoid of shattering it or, even worse, the screw, so I'm just dropping hammer weight). I'm giving it another dedicated soak right now for another day or two, but if I can't get it to come loose after that, do I have any other options or should I just consider it permanently seized and resort to cutting/drilling etc?

2) Once I fastidiously remove every little flake or spot of rust, what should I coat this thing with to prevent it from just re-rusting? What are my short-term and long-term solutions? E.g. can i just rub it down with vegetable oil for now and then set it aside to spray it with enamel come warmer weather?

3) Exactly what type of lubricant should I be using on the moving parts?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I'm working on (among a jillion other little projects) restoring an iron post leg vise right now, via a combination of wire brush on the angle grinder and evapo-rust. I have a few questions for the much more knowledgeable people in the thread:

1) The evapo-rust has gotten all parts except the sliding handle to come loose within the screw, which is still resisting my various gentle hammer taps (I'm paranoid of shattering it or, even worse, the screw, so I'm just dropping hammer weight). I'm giving it another dedicated soak right now for another day or two, but if I can't get it to come loose after that, do I have any other options or should I just consider it permanently seized and resort to cutting/drilling etc?

2) Once I fastidiously remove every little flake or spot of rust, what should I coat this thing with to prevent it from just re-rusting? What are my short-term and long-term solutions? E.g. can i just rub it down with vegetable oil for now and then set it aside to spray it with enamel come warmer weather?

3) Exactly what type of lubricant should I be using on the moving parts?

1. Heat. Think propane torch, doesn't have to be crazy hot. Just enough to get it to expand-contract and break free.
2. Oil, Boeshield, or even a Rustoleum paint. I'd use a mineral oil and not veggie oil, less likely to get weird tackiness.
3. Grease.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
When I renovated an old post vise in what sounds like a similar condition to yours, I ended up having to replace the cross handle on the screw because someone had clearly used a hammer to tighten or loosen it multiple times in the past. It was bent and dinged up enough that trying to get it to slide back and forth was far more work than replacing it with a piece of 1/2" round stock with a threaded cap on either end.

I used high-temp rustoleum on the leg and other parts I wasn't going to be subjecting to wear. High-wear spots were heated a bit with a torch then dunked in "quenching oil" (aka, old motor oil) to get a reasonably durable finish. Actual moving parts like the screw got a light coat of lithium grease, which was 1000% overkill--it made it 100+ years without and my hobby use isn't ever going to be more than a fraction of what it has already seen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ah yes to all. Thanks! I might even still have enough mineral oil laying around to finish the boyo off.

e. last question if I spray the thing down with e.g. rustoleum what do I do in the longer run to protect the surfaces that can't be painted e.g. the jaws? Just keep them oiled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
The oil-quenched finish was sufficient for my needs. If you're using it regularly it won't matter. If you want to put a light coat of oil on parts if it is going to sit unused for a while, it won't hurt anything. Just don't put so much on that the next time you put something hot in the jaws that it turns into a torch.