Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

It's been a while, was it confirmed if General Bell commissioned the Silver weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"you're poo poo at dying, you know that?"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Emil Toma loving owns.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Toma has somehow managed to channel his extraordinary Wife Guy energy into being a total badass, and that's why he is the true hero here.

It makes total sense that he's the one who would snap Duane out of his self-delusional funk as they are, at heart, two complete and utter dorks in their own way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So uh, I guess those interrogation monsters weren't just figments of Matty's imagination, huh...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm not sure that's the case quite yet, but regardless Quigley is a loving worm. I can't say he's the worst, given the world he lives in, but what a self-pitying spineless piece of poo poo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Cope said the monsters are a metaphor.

Poorly communicated but that's the answer.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Great plan Jivi, great plan :smith:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

That's a Matty Plan, who is chilling on his "own" with Uaid right now talking to the construct and himself. Jivi was last seen with the headmistress and the other kids minus Matty when they split up to keep the kids safe while the adults in the shrine went off to kick butt.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

That's a Matty Plan, who is chilling on his "own" with Uaid right now talking to the construct and himself. Jivi was last seen with the headmistress and the other kids minus Matty when they split up to keep the kids safe while the adults in the shrine went off to kick butt.

I don't think Jivi has shown up again since going back in to search for the others.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I don't think Jivi has shown up again since going back in to search for the others.

I think you are right. I believe the pacing had me thinking Sette and Jivi joined back up with the main crew about the same time, but it was just her. I looked back and what I thought was him was a tiny frame with Toma in it. Jivi: Tiny Toma, young angsty edition (not really, the important characters are distinctly good, but I thought it was a funny mistake made by myself from a really small panel or two I sort-of remembered and it had been juuust long enough).

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

in my defense that post was made running off very little sleep

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
LOTS of pages today

All Adeliers are dangerous indeed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Unsounded's longest-running conspiracy theory.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
so... does this kill Duane, or are we going to get the adventures of Duane the undead head?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

so... does this kill Duane, or are we going to get the adventures of Duane the undead head?

Well we just saw the pymaric involved seems to be in the spine, so instead he'll probably be headless

Also, shamelessly stolen from the comments:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

the holy poopacy posted:

It's not the first time he's had to reattach body parts, it's probably fixable.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wanna say we've even seen him remotely operate detached parts, so this probably just slows him down a bit.

Also, gently caress you Lem.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I find the fact that he basically took Duane’s daughter and remade her in his image more disturbing than anything else he’s done so far, honestly

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I can see why there would be so many pages at once. This is some hosed-up poo poo, yo.

I wonder how much she knows

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I'd had some suspicion about what exactly Duane was intended for, and based on this page, I'm pretty certain that Duane was supposed to be a biological weapon to spread the Weeping Plague, probably to the Gefendur in Alderode. Mikaila unintentionally messed up the process. Because Lem wasn't part of the attack and she didn't know he was involved, he's still got her trust and can raise her as a tiny religious fanatic just like him.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Knew it. Also,

Oxxidation posted:

I find the fact that he basically took Duane’s daughter and remade her in his image more disturbing than anything else he’s done so far, honestly
makes me think that Leysa, Simon and the rest of the Adelier's were all killed on the same night so Lemuel would have full control over her growing up. He needed someone to hate Crescian's as much as he does.

Is Duane actually talking aloud on the last page?

DrSnakeLaser fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 17, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

I can see why there would be so many pages at once. This is some hosed-up poo poo, yo.

I wonder how much she knows

Probably not much. Lem seems less like the planning type and more like the acting on impulses and scrambling to deal with the fallout type. Likely he just did the reverse of what he did to Duane, say he's dead and that everyone gotta move on.

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Knew it. Also,

makes me think that Leysa, Simon and the rest of the Adelier's were all killed on the same night so Lemuel would have full control over her growing up. He needed someone to hate Crescian's as much as he does.

nah, they're alive. 100% Lem has full-on Monte Cristo'ed him.

Dunno if he's talking aloud, but it probably doesn't matter. With everything going on he'd have to yell for to be heard.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Lemuel was the one who asked Duane to bring Mikaila to the temple that day, was he hoping seeing her dad get murdered would radicalize her? What a cool uncle! :thumbsup:

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Knew it. Also,

Cope's Tumblr says it's intentionally ambiguous if he talked out loud.

The urls for this update are neat!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I picked the best worst time to resume reading this.

"Revenge is good for your health, but loneliness will find you again."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wheats posted:

Lemuel was the one who asked Duane to bring Mikaila to the temple that day, was he hoping seeing her dad get murdered would radicalize her? What a cool uncle! :thumbsup:

I'd mark that one as purely pragmatic: having Mikaila with him would slow Duane down.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
There was speculation that Duane would need to hit absolute rock bottom in order to begin to truly change. Reckon this could be it?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Agaragon posted:

Cope's Tumblr says it's intentionally ambiguous if he talked out loud.

The urls for this update are neat!

I missed this until you pointed it out, thanks! "death holds no dominion"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wheats posted:

I'd had some suspicion about what exactly Duane was intended for, and based on this page, I'm pretty certain that Duane was supposed to be a biological weapon to spread the Weeping Plague, probably to the Gefendur in Alderode. Mikaila unintentionally messed up the process. Because Lem wasn't part of the attack and she didn't know he was involved, he's still got her trust and can raise her as a tiny religious fanatic just like him.

Nah, I think the weeping plague is actually part of the process he was revived by, that's why the very first thing they did was remove his eyes and apparently have replacements on hand, so he WOULDN'T spread it.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'd mark that one as purely pragmatic: having Mikaila with him would slow Duane down.

It'd also distract him both during the actual event and make sure his mind is preoccupied so he doesn't pay too much attention to his surroundings before it happens. Otherwise he probably would've kicked all their asses.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

We still don't know how involved Lem was in Duane's murder, do we?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

We still don't know how involved Lem was in Duane's murder, do we?

I don't think it's been explicitly confirmed yet but it's been heavily hinted that Lem was the glamoured "Crescian" ninja.

EDIT: whoops I think I misread this. It's still unclear who all was in on the planning for Duane's murder and what their motivations were; Lem had to have been pretty central but it's interesting that he disapproves so strongly of Bastion's experiment given that it's kind of the whole thing. I wonder if Lem is in it purely out of jealousy for Duane's family and a desire to get Duane out of the way so that Lem could replace him.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 19, 2022

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Nah current speculation is that the glamoured ninja is part of the group we'll be meeting in the next 'book' so to speak- when we go into Alderode we're supposedly meeting a group called the Tanners that includes someone that specializes in anti-wright hand to hand combat. Also in the group is one Lawrence Murkoph which I'm sure is just another nobody. Either way, fairly sure that guy'll show up again later ( I mean if it was Lem why would he be standing there going on about defiling a Ssaelit wright when it was his own brother- and also how would he NOT have been injured suspiciously in the same mess of flying glass as the entire rest of the group? )

Man everyone was hating on Quigley earlier for betraying Vienne but here comes Lemuel like 'Lemme show you how its done, bro-man.' And of course Bastion there being his usual wanker self. Every single bishie boy in this comic is turning out to be an irredeemable shitheel and I for one am loving the tears of the fanbase on realizing they're all horrible, horrible men.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

I don't think it's been explicitly confirmed yet but it's been heavily hinted that Lem was the glamoured "Crescian" ninja.

EDIT: whoops I think I misread this. It's still unclear who all was in on the planning for Duane's murder and what their motivations were; Lem had to have been pretty central but it's interesting that he disapproves so strongly of Bastion's experiment given that it's kind of the whole thing. I wonder if Lem is in it purely out of jealousy for Duane's family and a desire to get Duane out of the way so that Lem could replace him.

Right, Word of Cope says that Duane would have noticed the glamour. Hence how we don't know exactly what Lems involvement was in this.

Tar_Squid posted:

Man everyone was hating on Quigley earlier for betraying Vienne but here comes Lemuel like 'Lemme show you how its done, bro-man.' And of course Bastion there being his usual wanker self. Every single bishie boy in this comic is turning out to be an irredeemable shitheel and I for one am loving the tears of the fanbase on realizing they're all horrible, horrible men.

Duane is a proud henchman for a brutal fascist state who was a complete dipshit even before he was dead. Bastion is a twerp through and through. Lem is a deeply hosed up former child soldier. None of them put a hit out on their own wife for not being "controllable."

Also, once Duane regains his footing, I'm calling it 50/50 that he's pretty happy Mikaela is alive.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 19, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

double post.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tar_Squid posted:

Nah current speculation is that the glamoured ninja is part of the group we'll be meeting in the next 'book' so to speak- when we go into Alderode we're supposedly meeting a group called the Tanners that includes someone that specializes in anti-wright hand to hand combat. Also in the group is one Lawrence Murkoph which I'm sure is just another nobody. Either way, fairly sure that guy'll show up again later ( I mean if it was Lem why would he be standing there going on about defiling a Ssaelit wright when it was his own brother- and also how would he NOT have been injured suspiciously in the same mess of flying glass as the entire rest of the group? )

I don't follow outside discussion, but has it been confirmed that this anti-wright fighter is actually someone new? Because the guy who's been continually sparring with the best wright in Alderode since they were in diapers and generally beating him still sounds like a pretty good candidate for someone who specializes in anti-wright hand to hand combat.

Not following your objections either--it seems like Lem would have plenty of words for Bastion in that situation, and enough circumspection to not blow the whole thing in front of a not-entirely-dead Duane. The ninja is clearly standing outside the blast of the glass attack and I don't see what being Lem or not would have to do with that (except that the reason he's clear of the blast is that he's hovering over by Mikaila, which seems like something Lem would be doing?)

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Someone else already pointed out the fact Duane would've seen through the glamour if he had one, so either Lemuel got some spiffy contact lenses in and also put on make up to put a completely different set of scars on his face underneath a face wrapping, or its someone else. But its fair, a ton of people went 'dude that beat Duane hand to hand ( disregarding the fact Duane had a poisoned crossbow bolt in his lung and had already fought a dozen other would-be assassins immediately before this dude showed up ) must be Lem!' Only to find out it wasn't- only to then find out 'well okay so Lemuel WAS involved but just wasn't THAT guy'. What a roller coaster.

Lemuel apparently turning Duane's own daughter into a Joan of Arc-like figurehead for his particular brand of 'ends justify the means' fascism is kind of a worse horror, to me, than a very young man in a fascist state, knowing his wife is joining a resistance movement that has a massively high chance of being caught ( and, per word of artist, would have had him quietly assassinated rather than being allowed to join with his wife and son ), turning her in because he sees no way out. Imagine being caught in a terrorist bombing, put into a coma for years, and coming out of it to find out not only has your brother gotten your kids involved in his Oath Keepers group, but he was secretly also part of the group that helped set up the bombing behind the scenes so they could justify new anti-terror laws. That's Duane right now.

Minus his head, but we can fish that out of the river later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Duane is a proud henchman for a brutal fascist state who was a complete dipshit even before he was dead. Bastion is a twerp through and through. Lem is a deeply hosed up former child soldier. None of them put a hit out on their own wife for not being "controllable."

that’s not what quigley did. he was a state assassin who believed in his country and its values and had plenty of firsthand experience in what the state did to subversives, so he snitched on vienne in the very foolish hope the authorities would re-educate the rebellion out of her and get rid of that construct that had been taking up all her attention. he was so eager for the chance to have the “old” vienne back that he even threw matty on the pyre. why not? matty was just one more thing he never wanted

except that the state just butchered her and blinded matty in the doing, so quigley bit back and now treats his duty to matty and uaid as bitter penance for his earlier foolishness. like Duane, he’s what his country made him into, but while Duane tries (or tried) to hold onto his earlier values for better or worse, quigley buried all of it under loathing cynicism - he hates patriots, hates humanists, and especially hates Duane for being both of things with all his earlier naïveté to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

that’s not what quigley did. he was a state assassin who believed in his country and its values and had plenty of firsthand experience in what the state did to subversives, so he snitched on vienne in the very foolish hope the authorities would re-educate the rebellion out of her and get rid of that construct that had been taking up all her attention. he was so eager for the chance to have the “old” vienne back that he even threw matty on the pyre. why not? matty was just one more thing he never wanted

Sure, but at the root of it was that he was mad at his wife for not being properly his chattel. And lets face it, given his job he knew she was going to be punished severely - he may have lied to himself about how it would have ended but he knew from experience what happened to people who were ratted out like she was. And his attempted suicide by cop was merely him trying to get himself killed so he wouldn't have to live with the aftermath - which included Matty still being alive.