Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

chglcu posted:

Very appropriate you used the word ‘consumer’ instead of ‘player’ there. Mobile games are bullshit made and played by broken people.

"Mobile" isn't the right way to describe those games, a lot of PC games have consumer-exploitative mechanics. And a lot of mobile games are just cool and good and don't have those mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

chglcu posted:

Very appropriate you used the word ‘consumer’ instead of ‘player’ there. Mobile games are bullshit made and played by broken people.

there aren't any non-broken people on this website

steinrokkan posted:

Can you name some of these supposedly good mobile games

games that I have personally enjoyed without spending a dime:

* Hearthstone - Don't know what it's like now, but I had a lot of fun with it on release and through the first several expansions. Never really got to a high rank (not that that's impossible for an F2P player or anything) but experimenting with building various gimmick decks and playing a few matches each day was a satisfying way to spend my time. The Arena mode also made it possible to play around with cards I didn't have and face all kinds of players on a somewhat even footing. Also some good puzzle bosses in the PvE content. I eventually got bored with it, but it was fun while it lasted.

* Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage - If you like rhythm games and/or vocaloid/jpop music, this is the perfect game.
The gacha elements exist only to boost your score which gives you rewards you can spend on the gacha and costumes. The stamina system only affects the rewards you get and doesn't limit the number of stages you can play in any way. There is a separate scoring system (combos) that doesn't have anything to do with any of that and is based entirely on the number of consecutive notes you hit. So, basically, if you don't care about the gacha you just get a solid rhytm game with an incredible selection of good songs for free. No strings attached.

* Arknights - A unique twist on tower defense gameplay. Also has an interesting plot that gets better as it goes along. All content is clearable with low-rarity characters you can get just from playing the game at a normal pace, but it can get pretty challenging later on, which is good.

* Epic-Seven - Solid casual RPG, though a bit on the grind heavy side. Has cool battle animations.

There's plenty of other games I haven't gotten around to trying yet, or that are simply not to my tastes. Gacha games own

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's old but Ghost Trick was sweet. I also enjoyed Game Dev Tycoon quite a bit. Some people don't like it but I enjoyed 80 Days

Plus there are a lot of good board game adaptations for mobile: Root, Terraforming Mars, etc.

And the mobile ports of popular PC games are by all accounts pretty great: Fortnite, Minecraft, etc

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

* Arknights - A unique twist on tower defense gameplay. Also has an interesting plot that gets better as it goes along. All content is clearable with low-rarity characters you can get just from playing the game at a normal pace, but it can get pretty challenging later on, which is good.

Fact: Arknights has TOP TIER anime burgin' action.

Simply amazing. Game of the Year imo. Never played it.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
sorry to disappoint but that's all fanart, non of it is actually in the game itself. don't want to mislead any burgin' enthusiasts ITT

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 30, 2021

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Meme Poker Party posted:

Fact: Arknights has TOP TIER anime burgin' action.

Simply amazing. Game of the Year imo. Never played it.

can u post the little animated borgar time thing please

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ah, so by good games you mean garbage even worse than I was able to imagine in my least charitable expectations

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Alien Isolation is a great example of what great optimization looks like, I could run it with all settings on high on my laptop which is 5 years old with nothing too special in the graphics hardware department and it still looked great

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Floodixor posted:

can u post the little animated borgar time thing please

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

thank u

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

steinrokkan posted:

Ah, so by good games you mean garbage even worse than I was able to imagine in my least charitable expectations

why are they garbage op. explain it in a way even my broke-brain could understand

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Something just for you:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

here's an unpopular opinion for you: F2P mobile gacha games own. they scratch all of the addiction and gambling itches of my brain without actually costing any money. the good ones are also fun to look at and play.

in fact, i would prefer all games to be entirely funded by a handful of obsessive whales. if you think about it this is actually a splendid example of "tax the rich" working for the benefit of all

People always accuse me of being too nice and frankly I think no matter what I respond to this post they'd be right. It's not really my limitations and more so no one anywhere could appropriately respond to the post. Calling you dumb? Not gonna cut it. Really I think the only way I can feel safe in this world is if I never knew the post existed.

games that I have personally enjoyed without spending a dime:

* Hearthstone - Don't know what it's like now, but I had a lot of fun with it on release and through the first several expansions. Never really got to a high rank (not that that's impossible for an F2P player or anything) but experimenting with building various gimmick decks and playing a few matches each day was a satisfying way to spend my time. The Arena mode also made it possible to play around with cards I didn't have and face all kinds of players on a somewhat even footing. Also some good puzzle bosses in the PvE content. I eventually got bored with it, but it was fun while it lasted.

* Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage - If you like rhythm games and/or vocaloid/jpop music, this is the perfect game.
The gacha elements exist only to boost your score which gives you rewards you can spend on the gacha and costumes. The stamina system only affects the rewards you get and doesn't limit the number of stages you can play in any way. There is a separate scoring system (combos) that doesn't have anything to do with any of that and is based entirely on the number of consecutive notes you hit. So, basically, if you don't care about the gacha you just get a solid rhytm game with an incredible selection of good songs for free. No strings attached.

* Epic-Seven - Solid casual RPG, though a bit on the grind heavy side. Has cool battle animations.

There's plenty of other games I haven't gotten around to trying yet, or that are simply not to my tastes. Gacha games own

Lol. Some people say you should reach across the aisle and try to understand the other side, but I say sometimes their views are so abhorrent that the best solution is mockery and/or punching them in the face.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 31, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
AFancyQuestionMark if you would be so kind as to humor me, I would like to know something. If you had to name one, whom would be your favorite Arknights character?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sorry to disappoint but that's all fanart, non of it is actually in the game itself. don't want to mislead any burgin' enthusiasts ITT

unrelated question but can someone explain how to refund a game purchase, asking for a friend

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Meme Poker Party posted:

AFancyQuestionMark if you would be so kind as to humor me, I would like to know something. If you had to name one, whom would be your favorite Arknights character?

assuming you're talking art design, I would say Texas or Carnelian

if you mean the story, then Talulah and Patriot's arcs were pretty good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

why are they garbage op. explain it in a way even my broke-brain could understand

Have you seen the images?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh pity is another option. I forgot pity. Anyway gacha/f2p is covid and video game makers are republican business owners.

edit: Yes I know the analogy isn't perfect. Don't think about it too much.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 31, 2021

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

assuming you're talking art design, I would say Texas or Carnelian

if you mean the story, then Talulah and Patriot's arcs were pretty good

actually nevermind, Talulah has some cool art as well.

The answer is just Talulah

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

Something just for you:

today is a great day

edit: holy poo poo I didn't wait to see the text YESSS

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I got a new laptop that's pretty good now and it can run Doom Eternal and not just because it's well optimised as well and it's pretty sick buuuut dang man I just CANNOT get it together to be a better player even though I know it's pressuring me to do so

It was interesting to watch the Doom Eternal thread where people ended up getting so pissed off at the game and many walked away but then people got gud and suddenly it was loving sick and I get it, I do, but I just can't seem to bind the right keys and get organized when I walk into an arena and just frantically mousewheel through my guns as I run away from a demon until I get The Right Gun to use but watch out! It's about resource management!!!

doom eternal is a dark souls game

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Doom eternal sounds more like a rhythm game

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Doom eternal sounds more like a rhythm game

i guess sometimes it is but I've found it to be more like managing resources during a fast paced scenario with monsters attacking you

much like the popular game XCOM 2

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
DOOM Eternal is Paper Mario with the twist of more fast paced platforming mechanics.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

If you remember to push the chainsaw and flamethrower buttons whenever they're up then you'll have tons of resources and you can do whatever with your guns

"Push buttons every time they light up" isn't a fun mechanic imo but it's the most important one in the game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bought Doom Eternal in the steam sale, i was waiting for it to hit £10 but £12.50 will do, you can look forward to my unbiased review itt in the next 2 to 4 weeks

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

actually nevermind, Talulah has some cool art as well.

The answer is just Talulah

Talulah it is then!

Anyway sorry about Duck and Cover. Mobile games may or may not be a big pile of hot garbage, but either way hyperbolic posting like you're the world's biggest idiot is just not cool!!! I hope you stay to post about video games with us! Also I've heard other people talk like Arknights really breaks to the mold on mobile stuff so who knows, maybe it's cool.

Now please stand still, this will only take a moment.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 31, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

idk I'm a very average person

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Elentor posted:

idk I'm a very average person

Dunno

On one hand you thought I was being weirdly defensive and called it next level pedantry when I attempted to calmly pick through an interaction to identify the miscommunication so it could be resolved, but on the other hand, "aggression with occasional lols" seems to be pretty common. Maybe outwardly engaging in metacognition could even potentially be seen as more broken than dogpiling. It's a hosed up world out there

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

this is the Dark Souls of meta discussion

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Floodixor posted:

I got a new laptop that's pretty good now and it can run Doom Eternal and not just because it's well optimised as well and it's pretty sick buuuut dang man I just CANNOT get it together to be a better player even though I know it's pressuring me to do so

It was interesting to watch the Doom Eternal thread where people ended up getting so pissed off at the game and many walked away but then people got gud and suddenly it was loving sick and I get it, I do, but I just can't seem to bind the right keys and get organized when I walk into an arena and just frantically mousewheel through my guns as I run away from a demon until I get The Right Gun to use but watch out! It's about resource management!!!

doom eternal is a dark souls game

If you can, try to persevere to getting the rocket launcher. Thats the point where you finally have a reliable "gently caress off" button you can use in a battle anytime you need it and for a lot of people that+the super shotgun you get shortly after are the pieces needed to make the combat click.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

signalnoise posted:

Dunno

On one hand you thought I was being weirdly defensive and called it next level pedantry when I attempted to calmly pick through an interaction to identify the miscommunication so it could be resolved, but on the other hand, "aggression with occasional lols" seems to be pretty common. Maybe outwardly engaging in metacognition could even potentially be seen as more broken than dogpiling. It's a hosed up world out there

lol

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Excelzior posted:

this is the Dark Souls of meta discussion

Can I have Ornstein and Smough theme

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Mangornstein

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Dunno

Shoving people in lockers shouldn't be limited to teenagers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Shoving people in lockers shouldn't be limited to teenagers

As if you have the strength

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

checking my list of goon grievances so I can eventually own them in the video game shitposting gbs thread

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Caesar Saladin posted:

checking my list of goon grievances so I can eventually own them in the video game shitposting gbs thread

I use a steno-pad I keep under the couch.

Each of them will pay.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Talulah it is then!

Anyway sorry about Duck and Cover. Mobile games may or may not be a big pile of hot garbage, but either way hyperbolic posting like you're the world's biggest idiot is just not cool!!! I hope you stay to post about video games with us! Also I've heard other people talk like Arknights really breaks to the mold on mobile stuff so who knows, maybe it's cool.

Now please stand still, this will only take a moment.

Hey if this is totally the thread for hyperbolic posting and besides it could be "worse" and they could have spent a lot of money. Of course if they had then I'd feel pity more so than "ahhh gently caress please stop your helping to enable the exploitation of the group I pity". Perhaps I should have been clearer and even jokingly suggesting people are dumb isn't nice or even really accurate (statistically accurate though as most people are totally dumb DUMB I SAY) but gently caress I'm lazy leave me alone and these games are predatory as gently caress but gently caress these "games" won't die. Thankfully with the failure of Genshin Impact we will finally see the death of these exploitative games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsFA2CrApKc.

I played Hearthstone. A lot. I'm not willing to check the numbers because I wouldn't be surprised if it's my top played game. It's a shallow game designed to addict their players into either A. Playing to pay or B. Pay to play. Like fun can be had but that's not the same as saying "GACHAS ARE GOOD" No they are bad. Like Hearthstone is on the less bad side, but still it's bad. They are bad I really want people to stop saying they have any redeeming merits. Okay they do have a redeeming merit in allowing people to play games that couldn't afford to play games unfortunately it's off exploiting people which isn't great even if it was just the rich whales that can afford it, which it isn't.

Anyway have some more yakkocmn videos about gachas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGpZR82i4AY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UQo9jVI0gM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHe8bwGFxqg

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Seeing gachas as a "tax the rich" system is a pretty hilarious take. The whales for these games are children with access to their parents' credit cards and people with depression, not CEOs lol