Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

protomexican posted:

Can I get an opinion on this airbrush?

https://www.michaels.com/neo-cn-gravity-feed-dual-action-airbrush/10366604.html

Thinking of pulling the trigger for 50 bux.

Can't speak to that brand either, but I opted for the "Cheap Chinese poo poo" route for my first set of equipment and I've been very happy with it so far. I had some obvious Quality Control issues on the first one that arrived, but the company Warranty'd no question asked. So if it's your first brush and aren't just buying a whole kit it's probably fine.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm trying to figure out basing I like for my Blood Bowl team(s) and I'm having the hardest time.

I picked up some Gale Force 9 static grass, but it feels like it's too long for a game pitch. I thought about "coarse turf" instead of static grass but then it would look more like a golfing green.

Are there options for "short" static grass? The Gale force 9 stuff I have is 2mm-3mm strands.

Amazon next to Akhorne for scale since anything would look long compared to him.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I'll also add the ergos on the masters brush are trash. I would think an Iwata-branded brush would be more comfortable, regardless of the factory it's made in but that's only conjecture

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What exactly are you referring to by ergonomics?

I do get pain in my trigger finger, but I assumed that was because I boulder too much :(

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

protomexican posted:

I bought one as babby's first airbrush since it's recommended in the OP of this very thread and I am quite happy with it. Obviously I do not have the experience of years of airbrushing / using fancier tools, but for $50 I think you will be very pleased with it even if you replace it in a year. I have had mine for ~4 months and I have no plans to upgrade since it is doing exactly what I need it for.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Sab669 posted:

What exactly are you referring to by ergonomics?

I do get pain in my trigger finger, but I assumed that was because I boulder too much :(

Specifically the shape of the pad atop the trigger. I noticed a huge improvement when I switched to a Badger, and I have no discomfort in my trigger finger with the Grex either. Those triggers just seem to be grippier, resulting in less tension needed to hold them open. I had even started using the Goobertown Brent thumb-hold with the Masters brush for long priming sessions before upgrading.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
in the most unsurprising twist, I actually like painting eyes on larger models. still going to tinker with magnifiers at home, or just take models into work one weekend and use my 50x otolaryngologist microscope when no one's around.

Here's a WIP shot of Sif from Dark souls with some very unfortunate bubbles in the sculpt I didn't notice until I took the picture

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Floppychop posted:

I'm trying to figure out basing I like for my Blood Bowl team(s) and I'm having the hardest time.

I picked up some Gale Force 9 static grass, but it feels like it's too long for a game pitch. I thought about "coarse turf" instead of static grass but then it would look more like a golfing green.

Are there options for "short" static grass? The Gale force 9 stuff I have is 2mm-3mm strands.

Amazon next to Akhorne for scale since anything would look long compared to him.

You may want some kind of flocking, which will seem more turf like, and you can then paint white stripes and markings to simulate field marks. Army painter makes a decent one that I mix with fine sand and gravel to make an easy all-in-one basing.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Floppychop posted:

I use GW static grass for years on my Blood Bowl bases (Oath thread crosspost):

Its really easy to paint white lines over it as well... which I somehow missed on both of these teams before posting them.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
You could also try railroad flock, or if you happen to woodwork or have a friend who does, just mix some sawdust with green paint to make your own flock. Works best if you do a couple batches with different shades and then blend them together for the final product.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
The club competition is starting to get models in.

Impressed because some of these guys are very lazy painters 😂

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I use GW static grass for years on my Blood Bowl bases (Oath thread crosspost):

Its really easy to paint white lines over it as well... which I somehow missed on both of these teams before posting them.

The GW static grass / flock has been OOP for years, sadly.

Flock and static grass are used interchangeably all over so it's making searching really difficult.

I have this stuff which Woodland Scenics sells as "coarse turf". It ends up looking like clumps of moss or if you apply it more smoothly it resembles a golf green. I'm assuming this is what people mean by "railroad flock".

Granted, the golf green style would work well for elf teams.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Floppychop posted:

Oh... Did not know that. This stuff lasts forever, and I accidentally just scored a new bag of it in some ebay bought hobby job lot.
Now that I know it's OOP I will use it even more rarely, drat.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A weird thing I found out from a misguided idea is that if you thin down pva and mix that flock into it, it works pretty well as lichen/moss and sticks pretty well to the undersides of rocks. Bonus is if you mix color together you can make interestingly realistic patterns

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Floppychop posted:

Flock and static grass are used interchangeably all over so it's making searching really difficult.

I have this stuff which Woodland Scenics sells as "coarse turf". It ends up looking like clumps of moss or if you apply it more smoothly it resembles a golf green. I'm assuming this is what people mean by "railroad flock".

Granted, the golf green style would work well for elf teams.

Yes and no. Even when people arent using flock and static grass interchangably, they are still using flock to mean basically any type of ground cover that isnt sand, texture paste or static grass. You get sawdust flock, foam flock, probably others. I've seen reindeer moss sold as "flock" which to me it definitely isnt. When I hear railroad flock I think of the Javis Scenics stuff (but again, within their range they do all sorts of different materials in a range of colours) either sawdust particles or very very finely ground foam dyed to appropriate colours. You can also use various types of kitchen herbs if you have them to hand and are feeling super thrifty, but a bag of flock will run you maybe 3-4 quid on ebay and doesnt have any potential odor issues. gently caress if you want really short grass just use sand and paint it. Its honestly a little retro nowadays; if you think of a marine from the 90s with a goblin green base rim on a grassy base, thats "railroad flock".

I use static grass rather than what I think of as flock for like 99% of stuff nowadays, but it still has its place. For me personally blood bowl pitches are one of them; static grass looks too long for a maintained sports pitch to my eye. Others are free to disagree obviously. I've got a jar of javis "Dark Meadow green" which is frankly far too loving green, some paler/more restrained green which looks more natural to me, and some dark green (oh, and a pack of multicoloured "summer meadow" someone found in their loft and gave me when they found out I was painting figures again). When I use them I tend to mix them together at least a couple of different colours to get some variation.

Spanish Manlove posted:

A weird thing I found out from a misguided idea is that if you thin down pva and mix that flock into it, it works pretty well as lichen/moss and sticks pretty well to the undersides of rocks. Bonus is if you mix color together you can make interestingly realistic patterns

This is also true, I use it to make cork rocks look less like cork as the moss and algae creep up them. Sometimes also drop a few flakes into water effects on bases to give the effect of floating greenery.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

https://imgur.com/a/y9hTJ1I

Here's my Year in Review! I'm sure there are some models here and there that I'm missing in this album, but the majority are there.

Here's a few of my favorites:

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 30, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm thinking about getting another painting handle but I'm not sure which to "upgrade" from the citadel handle, or just buy another handle. Seems there's some 3D printed options?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

champagne corks work just as well

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My dog's needed a few prescriptions this year, so I've been using those bottles with globs of sticky-tac on the lids.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm thinking about getting another painting handle but I'm not sure which to "upgrade" from the citadel handle, or just buy another handle. Seems there's some 3D printed options?

I picked up one of these at Adepticon a few years ago and really like it.
https://gameenvy.net/new-hobby-holder-miniature-holder/

You can use regular screw on soda bottle caps to swap out models, or corks if you like pinning stuff.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

There's also "Garfy's Get a Grip" which is more focused on using either corks or the various GW bases. Doesn't use bottle tops, but you could stick a bottle top on a cork, I guess.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

https://imgur.com/a/y9hTJ1I

Here's my Year in Review! I'm sure there are some models here and there that I'm missing in this album, but the majority are there.

Here's a few of my favorites:

Hell yeah bro

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

To be more specific, what do you use for holding larger models that have a base?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think the citadel handle is perfect for holding Warhammer sized infantry units but it doesn't hurt to have options for other things. The main thing a painting handle has over stuff like medicine bottles is that the handle tapers towards the model so you can have finer control while holding it. For small vehicles like a DE Venom I superglue a piece of sprue on the bottom and then stick it deep into a cork so I can hold it up and still get underneath to paint it.

E: for larger models with a base I just take my older Citadel handle (the non butt plug one) and slap a wad of sticky tac on it and then put the base on top. You can probably do that with a medicine bottle but you might need to add some weight inside it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

To be more specific, what do you use for holding larger models that have a base?

I got a larger GW holder and it's worked well for dreadnoughts and thunder wolves. And in this case another wolf but it took some small modifications:

Basically the cheap option is get a wood block, a champagne cork, a pill bottle, a rock, whatever, and use some double sided tape.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
That alien tape knock off / gel double stick tape is amazing. Anything could be your handle.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya I literally went down to the Home Depot and made a bunch of handles from a piece of wooden dowel after getting the idea from a Ninjon video.
So now I have like 7 painting handles for the cost of basically nothing. Sanded off the ends, slapped thick double-sided tape on whenever I want to put a model on and pow...

Verisimilidude posted:

Here's my Year in Review!

:vince:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 30, 2021

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

protomexican posted:

I actually use this one with an Iwata Neo compressor (It's a 3-power level compressor with no fine tuning.)
It works pretty well for minis and I've had no complaints. I do clean it religiously after ever painting session but it seems to be holding up fine

I used it to do the frame, legs, weapons and gray armour on this actually

I still have so much to do :negative:

Solus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 31, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished Luke Skywalker tonight!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished Luke Skywalker tonight!

You are such a better painter than me that I don't feel at all comfortable saying this but I think you over-blued

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You are such a better painter than me that I don't feel at all comfortable saying this but I think you over-blued

I absolutely agree! I missed with the airbrush early on so I did what I could to fix it.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Agreed. It should be fixable with some white highlights on his face and hair, maybe?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Spanish Manlove posted:

I got a larger GW holder and it's worked well for dreadnoughts and thunder wolves. And in this case another wolf but it took some small modifications:

I've got the big one too and I like it but large models make it extremely top heavy so I always take whatever I'm working on off if I'm not actively painting it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Big dowels/citadel Handel's are great.

There's also a ton of 3d printed routes if you want to go that direction

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Big dowels/citadel Handel's are great.

There's also a ton of 3d printed routes if you want to go that direction

I was hoping to go with purchased solutions. I like the citadel handles but I don't like the latch feature. I was thinking of either Garfy or Game Envy, or RGG, but the big thing was whether big models (like outrider sized oval weird ones) would fit properly

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What should I use to store some Kingdom Death miniatures? I don't know the quantity, but they're from the 1.5 core box:

The small minis are 30mm bases, the mediums are 50, and I think I can just put the Phoenix by itself somewhere.

There's this ready-to-go foam cutout but it seems expensive and I need to use the box. Other options?

e: if this is in fact not expensive but is in alignment with other solutions, that would be good to know.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 31, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Here's a cheap option that works well unless you plan to check it on an airplane. It works decently well in a car and probably fine on public transport, if not a tiny bit bulky.

Assuming there's some space under the bases: Glue little magnets to the bottom of them and then carry them around in a baking tray that fits in a box, or a box with sheet metal in it. The baking tray is usually cheaper and works as well.

I assume you live in the UK so just pricing it out:

100 magnets for £7
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UTOMAG-Neodymium-Magnets-Whiteboard-Refrigerator/dp/B08F6W28PL/

then take your magnets to whatever store has baking trays and plastic boxes. test the magnets work on the baking tray. Then take that baking tray to the plastic boxes and find one that it fits nicely in with enough height to fit the taller models. In the USA I got a baking tray for $5 and a box for $6 or so. It came out to less than $20 total and I can fit a 2000pt space marine list on it with room to spare. If you have a larger need for everything, you can get two boxes and trays.

I use 5x2mm magnets and a standard space marine sticks to the baking tray pretty tightly, and on larger models I use two of them. the 5x1mm should be fine but you can always double up on magnets to get a better grip. Just to mess with people I tilt the whole tray sideways at my LGS to show how effective the hold can be and how they're safe on the trip from my display shelf to the table at the LGS.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 31, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I also magnetize all my minis with neodymium magnets. I suppose using foam can hold more raw volume but it's a bit more tedious to compile.

For those that don't have space in their bases, like the Fallout minis, you kind of have to bore into the base itself. Same with D&D/Wizkid minis

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Last mini of the year :toot:
Rehabbed my old screaming skull catapult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

What should I use to store some Kingdom Death miniatures? I don't know the quantity, but they're from the 1.5 core box:

The small minis are 30mm bases, the mediums are 50, and I think I can just put the Phoenix by itself somewhere.

There's this ready-to-go foam cutout but it seems expensive and I need to use the box. Other options?

e: if this is in fact not expensive but is in alignment with other solutions, that would be good to know.

Honestly you don't need to overthink it, other than the bird this seems like it would all fit into a standard off the rack foam tray for 28mm miniatures, which you can buy at any flgs. You can cut out the dividers and merge cells for the bigs.