Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Chikimiki posted:

So I just got a Switch with Pokémon Shining Pearl for my birthday/Xmas and I was wondering what other games to get.
Of course there are all the exclusives like Mario or Zelda, there is a huge amount of indie games (most of which I already have on PC), and there is a sale going on as well! Are there any must haves in that sale? Are sales frequent like on Steam? Should I rebuy all my PC indie games? Or should I just go with BotW?
So many questions, thanks if you can help me out here guys!

You want Mario Odyssey and BotW at minimum. Anything beyond that depends on your tastes, but those two are the absolute must haves.

Sales of anything that isn't first-party are pretty frequent. You can track them on Deku Deals. First party games rarely go on sale. If they do, it's around the holidays. So, if you see anything first party you want that's on sale, better grab it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Chikimiki posted:

So I just got a Switch with Pokémon Shining Pearl for my birthday/Xmas and I was wondering what other games to get.
Of course there are all the exclusives like Mario or Zelda, there is a huge amount of indie games (most of which I already have on PC), and there is a sale going on as well! Are there any must haves in that sale? Are sales frequent like on Steam? Should I rebuy all my PC indie games? Or should I just go with BotW?

there are a bunch of recent recs in at the bottom of the OP

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey, how does Disco Elysium run on the Switch?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

Hey, how does Disco Elysium run on the Switch?

Unless it's patched since launch, it's slow and crashes loading into new areas about once every 2 hours.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's 1080 30 fps.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Huxley posted:

Unless it's patched since launch, it's slow and crashes loading into new areas about once every 2 hours.

They have released a patch that seems to have improved frame rates and loading times.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m having a heck of a time figuring out a team in Monster Sanctuary. I am officially overwhelmed with skill trees. I have a group that’s working just fine, but they don’t synergies at all. I’m still pretty early in the game, I’ve been through the Mountain Path, Blue Caves, and the snowy area with the frozen lake.

I think my next destination is the Sun Palace but those monsters out level my team by several levels, so I’m not sure if I should grind some or if I missed a zone. I don’t see any other destination other than the sun palace on my map.

Back to my main point, maybe I’m still too early for team comp to matter much and I should just keep progressing until the need to have a well designed team becomes evident?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bread Liar
Question, I got the OLED Switch back in November and gave my OG one to my youngest and now she's getting into Smash but can't download any of the updates due to my Nintendo account being linked to my Switch. What's the best way to allow her Switch to connect to an account so she can download updates?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oscar Wild posted:

I liked how they made the main character androgynous. I didn't like how they gendered him nearly immediately. Better writing would have left it up to the player to interpolate the player gender.

you will play as the feminine twink dude and will like it

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Star posted:

They have released a patch that seems to have improved frame rates and loading times.

That's great, and what I was waiting for to get back into it after a crash lost me an hour or so right after launch.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It feels like a callback to the classic bishōnen of 90's anime. Which is why I named mine after a short haired prettyman who turns into a magical long-haired moon-themed prettyman.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Christmas night/26th: beat Metroid Zero Mission

Today: playing Metroid Samus Returns Remake on my 3DS

Soon: Super Metroid on the Switch, and Fusion

Happy 35th anniversary of Metroid and 19th anniversary of Prime.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got mario kart 8 for my 6yo for Christmas. She hates it, lol.

Anyone want to buy a mint condition, only used once copy of mario kart 8?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Give her time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Did she lick it? That's critical to getting maximum enjoyment out of switch cartridges.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Frankston posted:

I got mario kart 8 for my 6yo for Christmas. She hates it, lol.

Anyone want to buy a mint condition, only used once copy of mario kart 8?

she might rediscover it one day and find that she actually enjoys it. keep it imo

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
My 4yo hated it until I sneakily turned on all the assists and all of a sudden he loved it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Did she lick it? That's critical to getting maximum enjoyment out of switch cartridges.

The denatonium benzoate unlocks the pathways in your brain that let you enjoy Switch games.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Chikimiki posted:

Buy BOTW, and Metroid Dread.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Christmas night/26th: beat Metroid Zero Mission

Today: playing Metroid Samus Returns Remake on my 3DS

Soon: Super Metroid on the Switch, and Fusion

Happy 35th anniversary of Metroid and 19th anniversary of Prime.

Metroid is the best

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Barreft posted:

Metroid is the best

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Chikimiki posted:

Must own games, ranked most essential to least:

Cartridge / Digital:
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Dread
Super Mario Odyssey
Bayonetta 1 and 2
Mario 3D World / Bowser's Fury
Link's Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Golf
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Mario Maker 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Ghostbusters
a pokemon game
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Mario Party Superstars
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mario 3D All-stars
Wario Ware
Animal Crossing
New SMB U Deluxe

Digital Only:
Dusk
Untitled Goose Game
Quake
Hades
Disco Elysium
SW: KotOR
Blasphemous
Okami
Katamari Damacy
Doom 1-3 & 64
Resident Evil 0-4
Ori 1 and 2
Cuphead
Rocket League
Contra Collection
Castlevania Collection
Castlevania Advance Collection
Cruis'n Blast
Night Trap

As for your question: first party sales are rare and usually not that good. You're better off buying used cartridges or waiting for Best Buy sales.

Third party cartridges can get really cheap at Best Buy and GameStop.

Third party digital only games are weird mix of never on sale or sometimes 97% off. Complete mystery grab bag with those. Usually a good idea to just put them all in your wishlist and wait.

e:

If you don't have them on PC/Xbox/PlayStation:
Mortal Kombat 11
Dark Souls
Doom 2016
Subnautica
Outer Worlds
Crash Bandicoot
Hollow Knight
Diablo 3

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 31, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
buy every single game on the eshop twice.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Must own games, ranked most essential to least:

Cartridge / Digital:
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Dread
Super Mario Odyssey
Bayonetta 1 and 2
Mario 3D World / Bowser's Fury
Link's Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Golf
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Mario Maker 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Ghostbusters
a pokemon game
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Mario Party Superstars
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mario 3D All-stars
Wario Ware
Animal Crossing
New SMB U Deluxe

Digital Only:
Dusk
Untitled Goose Game
SW: KotOR
Blasphemous
Okami
Katamari Damacy
Doom 1-3 & 64
Ori 1 and 2
Cuphead
Contra Collection
Castlevania Collection
Castlevania Advance Collection
Cruis'n Blast
Night Trap

I can't disagree with this but it's missing Quake, I think? But Dusk is way better but both are great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'll add Hades and Into the Breach as two of my favorite Switch games, assuming you don't have them elsewhere.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

You def need the BOTW/Dread/Odyssey trio though. There's no arguing there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hades is FANTASTIC and should not be ignored, even if you don't like rogue-like mechanics.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Barreft posted:

I can't disagree with this but it's missing Quake, I think? But Dusk is way better but both are great.

Oh yeah, there's probably a bunch of third party stuff I missed because they're on my ps5, like Quake, Hades, Disco Elysium, and sports games.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

definitely Hades. Nuclear Throne, Dead Cells, and Streets of Rogue are all good, too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wait, GHOSTBUSTERS??? As in the 360 game remastered?

Is that actually good?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

buy every single game on the eshop twice.

this.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wait, GHOSTBUSTERS??? As in the 360 game remastered?

Is that actually good?

it's good

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah the Ghostbusters game is pretty fun and it's actually funny and charming. Good stuff.

And you can get the cartridge for like $5

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I have finished SMTV which means the Switch is back to Picross Portable machine. Speaking of which, it’s hosed up your must have list for Switch games doesn’t include Picross S1-6!!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Xenoblade series is also Real Good and by the team that gets pulled in to make the big-title Zelda game landscapes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Monolith are quite due to show 2 projects they have been sitting/working on for 3+ years now.
One isn't even Xenoblade!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Marvel Unlimited Alliance 3 is as much of a step backwards from 2 as 2 was from 1. Avoid at all costs.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hadji murad posted:

Marvel Unlimited Alliance 3 is as much of a step backwards from 2 as 2 was from 1. Avoid at all costs.

Counterpoint: I can play as Doctor Strange and I had fun doing that even though it was less good from the previous games which were purged from existence unless you have a PS3 and a used copy.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Question to Switch experts: can I have a „second Switch“ in regard to my account and digital purchases? If I get a second one, can I download all the stuff I purchased on my account, and it works as long as it‘s not running on the other Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that Dusk port is crazy good