Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

Backlog of unplayed video games are pretty much just NFTs.
Don't be those guys, don't have a backlog

But my backlog is my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Perestroika posted:

I was looking for a chill relaxation game and jumped on Among Trees in the sale, but unfortunately I'm not quite feeling it. It's very pretty and has great atmosphere, but it's in an awkward place where it doesn't have any narrative driving it, but the crafting and gathering also aren't quite involved enough to carry it as a purely sandbox experience.

I played this fairly soon after it launched on Epic and that was pretty much how it felt it for me. I spent a good few hours getting the house nice and cosy, went camping across the map, and was pretty much done. No complaints as it was very pleasant but I'm not sure there was meant to be more to it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
This seems like a good bundle on Fanatical: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-new-year-bundle

The Void, Knock-Knock and Regency Solitaire are all great. IIRC that's the better Yooka-Laylee game, and Virgo vs the Zodiac, A Robot Named Fight and Hob are all supposed to be pretty good as well I think. Republique's decent too.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Omi no Kami posted:

So here's a bit of a weird pull: I've been playing a bunch of ps2 sports games my friends and I enjoyed around 2005-2011, and I remember falling off sometime during the ps3 era because it felt like none of the new crap was improving the gameplay much beyond what they already had. Is there anything semi-recent on steam that feels similar to that old dynamic of running a bunch of goobers around a field? I don't care about licensing/rosters, and almost don't care about sport, but holy poo poo NHL 2010 and NBA Street 2 were loads of fun.

Dunno if it’s exactly what you’re looking for, but the Super Mega Baseball games are arcadey fun without the overly complex controls of many modern sports games. Wish there was something similar for American football.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Because I have a big ol' soft spot in my heart for the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games, and I also love the Ace Attorney games, I took a flyer on this new deduction-based Hercule Poirot game. Deductions! Solving cases! Arrogant little Belgian mustaches! What's not to like?

Well, a lot, actually. I have now finished it - it was very short - and wow do not waste your time on this one. The basic plot outline was reasonable but they did not do a good job with actually implementing it - or with anything else. I can write up a longer review if anybody thinks they might care, but basically the game needed a much better writer, a better logician, and - especially - a better editor.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m playing my first Dark Souls game and this poo poo rear end bitch game can eat my rear end. It’s so goddamn hard.

Lotta fun though

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

sponges posted:

I’m playing my first Dark Souls game and this poo poo rear end bitch game can eat my rear end. It’s so goddamn hard.

Lotta fun though

Just in case you’re just starting dark souls 1 and you’re fighting skeletons that assemble themselves off the ground, you went the wrong way. If not, it gets a lot easier once you get the flow of things down.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fatty posted:

Just a note that if people play only one, play Rise.

Counter-point: If you preferred older Tomb Raiders due to the abundance of really cool puzzle filled tombs: get Shadow.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

sponges posted:

Lotta fun though

Not sure if this helps, but what worked for me was treating DS-likes like a puzzle game. Each enemy has patterns. Work on recognizing those, avoiding the attacks if you can, and then attacking when it's prudent. There's no timer in most of the DS-likes, so there's no rush to finish an enemy. Patience (which I have a severe lack of) and pattern recognition helped me get through DS2 and 3, and I enjoyed them quite a bit after I changed the way I play. Not saying I got gud, but I did git betr

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am not good at games and thought Dark Souls would be an awful experience, but I actually ended up finding it relaxing in a weird way. You never lose anything you can't get back and you can get into a comfortable zone when running through areas you know well. I liked it. Haven't played the sequels though.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

One really useful trick for early DS is committing to a death in order to study an area- if a boss or encounter is kicking your rear end, instead of trying to clear it just go in with a good shield (blocking is OP as heck), and run around like an idiot trying to survive as long as you can while studying the movements and behaviors of the encounter. A lot of early bosses, in particular, become massively more manageable when you give yourself the breathing room to slow down and start figuring out what they're about.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Also sometimes the Taurus demon just loses the will to live and jumps off the bridge and saves you the trouble. That's very good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Omi no Kami posted:

One really useful trick for early DS is committing to a death in order to study an area- if a boss or encounter is kicking your rear end, instead of trying to clear it just go in with a good shield (blocking is OP as heck), and run around like an idiot trying to survive as long as you can while studying the movements and behaviors of the encounter. A lot of early bosses, in particular, become massively more manageable when you give yourself the breathing room to slow down and start figuring out what they're about.

Also turn off the music, because good as it is it's not trying to make you calmly study tactics and attack patterns

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Picayune posted:

Because I have a big ol' soft spot in my heart for the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games, and I also love the Ace Attorney games, I took a flyer on this new deduction-based Hercule Poirot game. Deductions! Solving cases! Arrogant little Belgian mustaches! What's not to like?

Well, a lot, actually. I have now finished it - it was very short - and wow do not waste your time on this one. The basic plot outline was reasonable but they did not do a good job with actually implementing it - or with anything else. I can write up a longer review if anybody thinks they might care, but basically the game needed a much better writer, a better logician, and - especially - a better editor.
I'd dig a longer review if you're up for it. Christie was one of my favorite authors and Poirot one of my favorite detectives, so I was kind of excited to see they had made one, and saddened to hear it's not very good.

Like are the puzzles too easy, or too obtuse?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Picayune posted:

for me, it immediately crashed shortly every time after the unskippable intro so i returned it.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Where's this from?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Armauk posted:

Where's this from?

Critters for Sale https://store.steampowered.com/app/1078420/Critters_for_Sale/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Haven't paid too close attention to see if anyone's been posting hidden gems on sale but I want to plug Umurangi Generation, one of the coolest short narrative game experiences I've ever seen.

It's hard to explain without spoilering, but it's basically Pokeman Snap in an dystopia urban sprawl New Zealand city and it gets better and better all the way till the end. I don't like photography but I really got into the basic stuff the game introduces, learning how to get good shots using the right lenses. There's a ton of camera extras you can unlock in the game that aren't required to beat it but just add to the camera shooting experience.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
umurangi comes from a place of deep anger at the current state of affairs and channels that very well

the train level in particular is a work of art

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

wait this was made into an actual game? I thought it was a concept thing for an album

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

pentyne posted:

Umurangi Generation

I can't remember which levels are in it to know if you already picked it up or not, but the dlc is absolutely worth it too. Adds a few more levels new lenses and new gear.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Master_Odin posted:

I'd dig a longer review if you're up for it. Christie was one of my favorite authors and Poirot one of my favorite detectives, so I was kind of excited to see they had made one, and saddened to hear it's not very good.

Like are the puzzles too easy, or too obtuse?

Lemme see if I can put my thoughts about the Hercule Poirot game in some kind of order here!

Okay, how about this: the game is charmless and perfunctory.

The basic plot outline is reasonably good and does feel more or less Christie-like, I'll give it that. When it came time to flesh that outline out and actually create characters and write dialogue, the developers did the absolute least amount of work possible. Poirot... could have been worse, I guess - he was recognizably Poirot and a lot of weirdness could be papered over by making him be at the very start of his career, pre-Styles - but all the other characters were basically cardboard.

I ended up turning the voice acting off immediately. It actually wasn't all that bad, but a lot of the dialogue came in paragraph-long chunks and I did not have the patience to sit through an actor working his way down the page. This may have been a mistake - it made the few cutscenes incredibly dull - but I don't regret it.

The gameplay involves walking slowly around and looking at everything that has a 'look at me' symbol over it, then talking to everybody and making your way down a list of questions, then looking at more things, then talking to people again, until finally you run out of things to look at and talk about. Also really basic stuff. You did get to 'break through' people's defenses by saying the right things to get through to them, which was a fun idea in theory, but in practice it was, again, kinda perfunctory.

You then go to Poirot's little 'mind maps', where you connect bits of information and clues together to, in theory, piece together what happened. They really dropped the ball here in a number of ways. A lot of the deductions just straight up did not make any sense - often the two clues did not seem to have anything to do with one another and Poirot's explanations were usually cheap nonsense. I ended up making most of my deductions by looking for places on the mind map where a nice, clean line with lots of room for new deductions would fit.

I didn't really feel like I was solving the puzzles because of that. When the puzzles actually made sense, though, the difficulty level was about right - not too easy but not terribly hard either.

Also (I realize that this bothers me more than it bothers most people) the English grammar was absolutely atrocious. I thought it was a poor translation and localization at first, but the developers are Scottish! It had been run through a spellchecker, at least, but there were homonym issues, doubled words, missing apostrophes, and so on. Nearly every run-on sentence was a comma splice. Waaaay too many ellipses. Because that's what I associate with Agatha Christie: terrible, poorly-written English. UGH.

(I went and looked at screenshots from their other games. Yep, same terrible grammar.)

It wasn't ugly or anything. Just dull and senseless. They really needed more of everything - more dialogue, more character building, more links on the deduction screen, more fine-tuning of their word choices, MORE EDITING. As it stands, the game was over in five hours and there was just nothing to it.

I really like Agatha Christie's works and I'm so sad that this game stinks.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I recommend clicking through to see the GIFs in the description, it's really really cool-looking in motion.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Pigbuster posted:

I recommend clicking through to see the GIFs in the description, it's really really cool-looking in motion.

The highlights are deffo these two imo:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Occultatio posted:

I mentioned my initial impressions earlier, but I want to come back and give a solid recommendation to Call of the Sea

My first take was being annoyed that the game was actually about cosmic horror, but the real thing turns out to be even more unexpected: it's like the opposite of cosmic horror. Cosmic delight, maybe? It's extremely obvious from very early on that the protagonist is the equivalent of the Innsmouth residents, bearing a family curse to either turn into a fish person or die, but... she actually really likes being a fish person! She feels so much more at peace in the strange, non-Euclidean underwater city than she ever did in Englewood! Anyway I found that aspect to be genuinely interesting, in the end, and was disappointed that the story ending that has you embrace your fish-nature made it sound dark and creepy in a way that betrayed the mood the game had built up to that point. Seriously, though, it's a delight seeing a character move through all the stock Lovecraftian tropey settings and just go "ahhh, isn't this nice?" as she dips back into the mysterious black ichor instead of the same-old same-old gibbering madness.

But the real reason I want to recommend the game is its approach to puzzles. Unlike many adventure puzzle games where you're either trying to make literally any sense of a completely opaque set of machines and/or inventory items, or others where the "puzzles" are really just about finding the One Important Clue That Solves the Puzzle in some hidden spot on the map, Call of the Sea does this really cool thing where it "freely" gives you absolutely all the information you need -- all the ancient symbols are translated for you in the notes of the expedition whose trail you're following, for instance -- but it tells you nothing about what to do with that information. So the puzzles are like, I understand exactly how this machine works and what each button represents, but now I have to actually-think-as-the-player about what my goal in manipulating it is.

In that way it's much closer to, like, puzzle-hunt-style puzzles than the vast majority of games I've played, and I found it really refreshing. Nothing was so difficult that I actually got stuck on it, but every single puzzle made me stop and review my notes and just think for a minute or two, and I absolutely loved it.

(also, again, the game is gorgeous)

Thanks for this recommendation. I've always wanted more fiction that recognizes that being a lovecraftian monster actually sounds pretty awesome. I will be checking this out.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are there any impressions for Last Epoch? I'm looking for a "casual" ARPG, casual meaning great control feedback, you get new skills/items relatively frequently, and it doesn't require too much planning or minmaxing to do well at whatever the default difficulty is (which is where I fell off from Path of Exile).

The best game so far that I've found that fits these criteria is easily Chronicon, which I love but now I'm just waiting for the expansion to drop and wondering if there's anything I can play to fill the void in the meantime. I hear Diablo 3 is actually great for this, it's just that it's so expensive where I'm at (3x the price of Last Epoch, and like...15 times of say, Grim Dawn). Grim Dawn apparently is the successor to Titan Quest, which I bounced off after a while - not sure why, I think the pacing was just a wee bit too slow for me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'd say it's pretty good as a casual game - I've done two blind builds through the storyline, and only the first one struggled near the end. You can trial the skills as you get them and the only thing hard-locked to your character is the subclass choice. I just wish it gave out like a good 20% more experience points because as you get near the end of the campaign it often felt like there were long gaps between getting to put points into anything to improve.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Sway Grunt posted:

This seems like a good bundle on Fanatical: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-new-year-bundle

The Void, Knock-Knock and Regency Solitaire are all great. IIRC that's the better Yooka-Laylee game, and Virgo vs the Zodiac, A Robot Named Fight and Hob are all supposed to be pretty good as well I think. Republique's decent too.

That Larry game really surprised me with how good it was as well after the last bunch of them were all trying to one-up eachother with how terrible they were.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So which of the three Tomb Riders games offered for free on the Epic store is the best to play? (Tomb Raider/Shadow of the Tomb Raider/Rise of the Tomb Raider) Its between one of those or Horizon Zero Dawn with my limited time.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BexGu posted:

So which of the three Tomb Riders games offered for free on the Epic store is the best to play? (Tomb Raider/Shadow of the Tomb Raider/Rise of the Tomb Raider) Its between one of those or Horizon Zero Dawn with my limited time.

Newest is best. First is good but pretty dated and second is still pretty solid.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BexGu posted:

Rise is the best one.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The latest one for the best / most involved puzzles. I guess the 2nd if you wanna shoot evil mercenaries (the combat in #3 is better but exceedingly rare). Neither if you're in for the story. HZD first, IMO.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BexGu posted:

I think Rise is overall the best but the first one has lots of good fun too so I wouldn’t skip it. You do everything in the first game that you do in the later games it’s just much simpler. Rise’s main game is a good combination of open-world collecting, stealth and/or shooting combat, big set pieces, and the tombs are more than just the one-puzzle-and-done kind from the first game. Besides the main game Rise also comes with (I’m assuming these versions come with all the DLC) a decently fun proc-gen score attack mode where you go through an infinite cold forest fighting progressively harder/more enemies from the main game while managing ammo, food, and body heat. Score points by finding treasure in dark caves with simple platforming. Find an extraction point to finish and score. It’s basic but pretty fun for at least a few runs.

Shadow isn’t a bad game by any stretch but they made a few decisions and/or budget cuts that make it feel lesser. They added a great stealth system to the combat and made the rest even better but then they reduced the amount of human-fighting you do by what feels like 80%. This wouldn’t be bad if they made up for it with better exploration but they didn’t do that either, it’s the same search for the same collectibles as the previous games just even more of it. The tombs are better than they ever were in the previous games - longer and more extensive - but they’re still just side activities you come across every now and then so they don’t completely make up for it either. So what you’re left with is a game where you are spending a ton of time doing basic platforming and side quests for NPCs to collect things and rarely doing some fun predator-style stealth hunting. It also becomes extremely rushed by the end. So again, not a bad game, just not as fully developed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

pentyne posted:

Haven't paid too close attention to see if anyone's been posting hidden gems on sale but I want to plug Umurangi Generation, one of the coolest short narrative game experiences I've ever seen.

It's hard to explain without spoilering, but it's basically Pokeman Snap in an dystopia urban sprawl New Zealand city and it gets better and better all the way till the end. I don't like photography but I really got into the basic stuff the game introduces, learning how to get good shots using the right lenses. There's a ton of camera extras you can unlock in the game that aren't required to beat it but just add to the camera shooting experience.

Does the game teach you about photography? That was always my barrier of entry. I don't know anything about lenses or apertures or focus or any of that stuff. Its been point camera, throw silly filter over it then shoot for me when it comes to photo mode in games.

BexGu posted:

Go for Horizon first. Game's amazing. I love it to death. As for the best of the Tomb Raiders, I think the first is probably the most well-balanced. If you've played Metroid it borrows a lot from giving you upgrades that allow you to explore different parts of the map that were previously gated off. On a person level I liked Shadow a whole lot. It did feel like they slashed the budget for it compared to Rise but I think it makes up for it by having the most and most fun actual tombs that you have to puzzle through. The main village you arrive at about 1/3rd of the way through the game is really well designed and you can spend hours exploring it, finding all kinds of neat things. The game felt the most like the original Tomb Raiders where there was more emphasis on puzzles and platforming than combat.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kibayasu posted:

I think Rise is overall the best but the first one has lots of good fun too so I wouldn’t skip it. You do everything in the first game that you do in the later games it’s just much simpler. Rise’s main game is a good combination of open-world collecting, stealth and/or shooting combat, big set pieces, and the tombs are more than just the one-puzzle-and-done kind from the first game. Besides the main game Rise also comes with (I’m assuming these versions come with all the DLC) a decently fun proc-gen score attack mode where you go through an infinite cold forest fighting progressively harder/more enemies from the main game while managing ammo, food, and body heat. Score points by finding treasure in dark caves with simple platforming. Find an extraction point to finish and score. It’s basic but pretty fun for at least a few runs.

Shadow isn’t a bad game by any stretch but they made a few decisions and/or budget cuts that make it feel lesser. They added a great stealth system to the combat and made the rest even better but then they reduced the amount of human-fighting you do by what feels like 80%. This wouldn’t be bad if they made up for it with better exploration but they didn’t do that either, it’s the same search for the same collectibles as the previous games just even more of it. The tombs are better than they ever were in the previous games - longer and more extensive - but they’re still just side activities you come across every now and then so they don’t completely make up for it either. So what you’re left with is a game where you are spending a ton of time doing basic platforming and side quests for NPCs to collect things and rarely doing some fun predator-style stealth hunting. It also becomes extremely rushed by the end. So again, not a bad game, just not as fully developed.

I agree with this post. I understand some people who didn't like that the series became more action oriented, but the combat was honestly the best part of 2013 and Rise and toning it down in Shadow caused a lot of pacing issues. Also the story and writing got even worse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Best thing about Rise of the Tomb Raider is the supremely cool and addicting Endurance Mode DLC.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I liked the first TR better than the second (Rise), although I finished both, so it was still pretty good. The second had more puzzle tombs but that was less important to me than the Metroidvania feel from the first one. I'm more of a Metroidvania guy than a Tomb Raider guy. Metroidvania in the jungle with a bow was a winning combo. The first TR also had a strange fetish for overly graphic death/pain sequences, and they toned that down a lot in the subsequent games, so be warned if that type of thing gets to you. HZD was better than both, though, and you should play that first. I haven't played Shadow yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Best thing about Rise of the Tomb Raider is the supremely cool and addicting Endurance Mode DLC.

That was a dope gamemode actually, it's a shame they didn't bring it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I don't see any TR DLC on the Epic Store, is it all included in the main packages?