Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Not really, and this is another one of those things that only America does while the rest of the world would rather know how many kWh it takes to drive 100 miles(or kilometers).

Maybe in an ice vehicle, but in an EV I’d rather know how many miles I can go on some kWh of battery and that math is marginally easier if the display is in mi/kWh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Tesla is recalling over 475,000 Model 3 and Model S vehicles

quote:

Tesla is recalling over 475,000 of its vehicles because of a pair of safety issues. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 356,309 Tesla Model 3s covering model years 2017-2020 are being recalled due to problems with the rearview cameras. The 2017-2020 Model S is the other target with 119,009 of those BEVs due to a problem with the front hood latch.

For the Model 3, the NHTSA says that the problem comes from a cable harness for the rearview camera, which "may be damaged by the opening and closing of the trunk lid, preventing the rearview camera image from displaying."

On the Model S, problems with the latch for the front hood may cause the "frunk" to open while the vehicle is in motion and without warning, which would obstruct the driver’s visibility, increasing the risk of a crash."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Maybe in an ice vehicle, but in an EV I’d rather know how many miles I can go on some kWh of battery and that math is marginally easier if the display is in mi/kWh.

Agreed

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Check to see if yours is included here:
https://service.tesla.com/vin-recall-search

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t ever drive in increments of 100 km.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

I don’t ever drive in increments of 100 km.

I still prefer to know how much energy I'm using in a mile, my reasoning behind this is that it scales linearly while mi/kWh scales logarithmically. The latter causes issues when comparing the efficiency of two or more different vehicles, and you'll have to do annoying conversions to get a fair number.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I still prefer to know how much energy I'm using in a mile, my reasoning behind this is that it scales linearly while mi/kWh scales logarithmically. The latter causes issues when comparing the efficiency of two or more different vehicles, and you'll have to do annoying conversions to get a fair number.

Ok but you're not comparing two different vehicles, you've already decided on getting an F-150 lighting.

Wh/100km is better for the sticker
km/kWh is better for the user

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

Check to see if yours is included here:
https://service.tesla.com/vin-recall-search

Tesla's database isn't updated yet. NHTSA's report says this affects all Model 3s 2017-2020. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V00D-5923.PDF

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Christ, sorry Tesla owners. Hate it when my hood just randomly flies open

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

QuarkJets posted:

My last car was a Nissan and it was recalled for a defective secondary hood latch twice, but somehow it wasn't front page news.

And that database was updated this morning, it shows that my Model 3 is in the recall for the backup camera so I will need to figure out if this is a mobile service or if I'll actually have to take it to a service center...

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

QuarkJets posted:

My ICE Honda has a similar recall in progress.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just get those cotter pin things they put on stock cars bing bong so simple

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

How about a hood that flies up on purpose as an air brake

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elon hire me

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Most cars do that math and displays an estimated range based on your current driving conditions. Having a kWh/100 km display in addition makes it easier to estimate how efficient you're driving. Both are useful in an EV. You don't need to calculate your range in your head.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Kind of regret not buying a Bolt when they were 20k off sticker at the beginning of the year. Oh well.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tyro posted:

Kind of regret not buying a Bolt when they were 20k off sticker at the beginning of the year. Oh well.

Same but I would have gone for a lease that was effectively free.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

How about a hood that flies up on purpose as an air brake

"Visibility has been disabled. Please connect your phone via Bluetooth to enter your Bitcoin wallet address to pay for new Visibility DLC. (Visibility™ is a monthly subscription)"

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Indiana_Krom posted:

My last car was a Nissan and it was recalled for a defective secondary hood latch twice, but somehow it wasn't front page news.

And that database was updated this morning, it shows that my Model 3 is in the recall for the backup camera so I will need to figure out if this is a mobile service or if I'll actually have to take it to a service center...

My last car had to go in for the Takata airbag recall. Twice.

Car poo poo is complicated, yo. :shrug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Citizen Z posted:

My ICE Honda has a similar recall in progress.

Ok but why did you feel compelled to post this in the EV thread

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

My last car had to go in for the Takata airbag recall. Twice.

Car poo poo is complicated, yo. :shrug:

My current ICE car had the same. Still driving it because other than apparently wanting to kill me in a wreck it has been a really good commuting/grocery appliance. The 3 is affected by the recall but I’m in no hurry. The rear camera going out would be inconvenient, but not really a huge deal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fame Douglas posted:

Most cars do that math and displays an estimated range based on your current driving conditions. Having a kWh/100 km display in addition makes it easier to estimate how efficient you're driving. Both are useful in an EV. You don't need to calculate your range in your head.

Some vehicles also loving suck at estimating range and owners can do a lot better by looking at their consumption and state of charge and doing the math.

Outside of bragging on the internet the only reason EV owners and the EV curious seem to care about efficiency is because it extends range. People aren’t hypermiling to save a couple of dollars on their home electric bill.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Why are you posting in this thread, seriously?

QuarkJets posted:

Ok but why did you feel compelled to post this in the EV thread

*sigh*

C'mon people, you know this is a guarantee for button pressing and my brain isn't allowing me to type something polite (It's been an awful 12 hours and I'm just not really in the mood to even post) so if seems harsh believe me I'm trying not to be. However you all know thread gatekeeping is not on, so please just dont.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Some vehicles also loving suck at estimating range and owners can do a lot better by looking at their consumption and state of charge and doing the math.

Outside of bragging on the internet the only reason EV owners and the EV curious seem to care about efficiency is because it extends range. People aren’t hypermiling to save a couple of dollars on their home electric bill.

Absolutely, which is why kWh/100 km is pretty useful to have displayed at all times. All cars should have the option to display everything at all times.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Absolutely, which is why kWh/100 km is pretty useful to have displayed at all times. All cars should have the option to display everything at all times.

100km isn't enough for america.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Edit: nah

Citizen Z fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 31, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
What even is this argument? I'm bad at math and even I can figure out kWh/100 km or mi from a Wh/km or mi display in my head basically instantly. Is it really that hard to divide the watt-hours number by 10?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Argh, my TMS is under that recall, guess I'll have to book an appointment in the app or something :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Indiana_Krom posted:

What even is this argument? I'm bad at math and even I can figure out kWh/100 km or mi from a Wh/km or mi display in my head basically instantly. Is it really that hard to divide the watt-hours number by 10?

Measuring efficiency by distance/unit gives a logarithmic result that is kinda misleading. Using a unit/distance number gives a linear result that’s easily comprehensible.

The US uses the former, because of course we do.

Popular Mechanics is better at math than I am.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drat, I'm affected by that recall.

I guess I'll go ahead and make that appointment to upgrade the charger so I can use that CCS adapter, and they can do the backup camera at the same time I imagine.

The hood popping off in motion is holy poo poo territory.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Back at the goddamn Dairy Queen in Sutherlin OR.

160.4 miles
Temps ~35F
Used 72% of charge so 63.4 kWh so 2.5 miles/kWh

Trip meter says 16% of my energy went to climate use, 5% accessories, 5% external temperature.

Go get Pinocchio's in Cottage Grove at some point so I can live vicariously through you, I'm like 2000 miles away and haven't been in forever.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Tesla recall update: they will cancel your service appointment and tell you to try again in a few months because they do not have any parts.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Lmao.

At this point why in Christ does anyone defend this shithole company?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I dunno I hear there is a pandemic going around causing supply chain issues.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

To be fair, Tesla has had supply-chain issues since 2012. The pandemic only made it worse :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Lmao.

:ssh:all companies are shithole companies

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Lmao.

Ask ICE owners who were affected by the airbag recall how long it took to get that fixed, something that could literally kill them. Go ahead, we’ll wait.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

mattfl posted:

Ask ICE owners who were affected by the airbag recall how long it took to get that fixed, something that could literally kill them. Go ahead, we’ll wait.

The Takata airbags?

Pretty sure everyone who booked an appointment got them replaced pretty quickly but unfortunately I don't have access to every car mechanics history

Anecdotally the two cars I had during air bag recalls (both Toyotas recalled in 2015 iirc) I had the work done the same day and got the cars back immediately.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 31, 2021

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm usually pretty quick to bag on Tesla for all the lovely poo poo they do, but this isn't something they're worse (or better) at than other companies I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I didn't immediately book a service appointment and they sent me an email saying they would contact me to schedule one when they will have the parts available.