Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Thanks for the tips! It sounds like I'm largely on the right track but will have to get my technique down for dressing/launching/turning the pizza until it's a smooth process. I have a turning peel on order which should be here tomorrow, hopefully before I'm ready to get started. Last night I made the "classic pizza dough" recipe from the Ooni site and the dough was a lot stickier than I remembered from the last time I made from-scratch pizza (it's been a couple years) and may need to be switched up in the future. Making my sauce right now, just a simple one posted in the pizza thread. Had to buy propane today since I've never used it before and have always had a vague fear in the back of my mind that I might blow myself up.

That's the good stuff

Really? I made the classic pizza dough today and I didn't find it sticky at all. It was a little bit at first but once I floured my board and the peel it didn't stick at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
All three of the most recent Tomb Raider games are free on Epic

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/rise-of-the-tomb-raider
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/tomb-raider

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Braksgirl posted:

Really? I made the classic pizza dough today and I didn't find it sticky at all. It was a little bit at first but once I floured my board and the peel it didn't stick at all.

Yeah, I followed the directions as closely as I could but it was extremely sticky. I gave it a poke just now (24 hours in the fridge) and it seems a little less so but was pretty ridiculous last night. After some cursory googling, the culprit may be... not enough kneading? :thunk:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

Man, I’m having a really hard time making myself go to work tomorrow and the days upcoming. We’ve started dropped like flies with Covid cases and SC has reported 20k+ new cases since Christmas Eve.

I just want to sit indoors and do nothing and just not endanger myself running from respiratory call to respiratory call for 14hrs a day.

I should like find a desk job.

Can you code an API for 80 dollars an hour

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Yeah, I followed the directions as closely as I could but it was extremely sticky. I gave it a poke just now (24 hours in the fridge) and it seems a little less so but was pretty ridiculous last night. After some cursory googling, the culprit may be... not enough kneading? :thunk:

Yeah maybe. I made mine in the KitchenAid mixer and let it run for 5 min or so. I also didn't prove mine in the fridge.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
e: I need to read

ugh I have fruit flies again, once more my youngest son has hidden a banana peel somewhere rather than walk to the kitchen to throw it away

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 31, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Making my sauce right now, just a simple one posted in the pizza thread.

Pizza thread? Do tell please.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah maybe. I made mine in the KitchenAid mixer and let it run for 5 min or so. I also didn't prove mine in the fridge.

I'll give my mixer a shot next time, that's gotta be way better than my hand kneading. It was dirty at the time, my wife had just made cinnamon rolls.

Silly Burrito posted:

Pizza thread? Do tell please.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441635

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I'll give my mixer a shot next time, that's gotta be way better than my hand kneading. It was dirty at the time, my wife had just made cinnamon rolls.

Thank you sir! :tipshat:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Got my booster today and already starting to feel the chills and aches

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm jealous of y'all with the fancy pizza ovens. My sister has a pizza stone but a regular oven.

The dough had trouble rising and it came out more like a cracker. Yes, there's pineapple on this too as there was leftovers from a jello-mold dessert she made last week.

My sister did join in on some TFF Jackbox games tonight (couple rounds of Quiplash). She seemed non-plussed by the extensive use of the word "cummies."

As for The Matrix, in the 3rd movie the peace agreement was that people that wanted to leave the Matrix were allowed to & the machines would not attack Zion anymore. It was kinda addressed in The Matrix Revolutions.

I don't have an answer why they couldn't use other animals besides humans either, but in that Animatrix short The Second Renaissance, humans kinda hosed around and found out.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Good lord just heard about a law school friend who went through some insane side effects from his second dose. Paralyzed and after time + physical therapy, he’s now walking again. I’m shook as hell.

Doctor folk it was some sort of 3 letter disease ending in S, and it was his immune system attacking itself. Any idea? I can ask again, i just kinda blanked when he dropped the bomb on me when we were catching up

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Amy Pole Her posted:

Good lord just heard about a law school friend who went through some insane side effects from his second dose. Paralyzed and after time + physical therapy, he’s now walking again. I’m shook as hell.

Doctor folk it was some sort of 3 letter disease ending in S, and it was his immune system attacking itself. Any idea? I can ask again, i just kinda blanked when he dropped the bomb on me when we were catching up

That is super scary. I hope your friend continues to recover.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Anybody got recommendations for an engaging non-fiction book?

I normally just read depressing non-fiction but I just read a fiction novel for the first time in forever and guess what? Turns out reading for entertainment is awesome!!!

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 31, 2021

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I normally just read depressing non-fiction but I just read a non-fiction novel for the first time in forever and guess what? Turns out reading for entertainment is awesome!!!

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, go for some light sci fi about cognizant spiders developing civilization just in time to fight off invading humans, and it ends in a surprisingly pleasant manner!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

A stand mixer is the best thing in the world to have if you need (:v:) to knead dough. I make homemade pasta regularly and if I didn’t have the mixer to do the hard part… yeah, I just wouldn’t.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Amy Pole Her posted:

:gb2gbs:?

Edit - Also, a day late to Hades chat, but how different are runs, and how long are runs? I am thinking about grabbing it even though I have not paid that much for a game in years ($16 whole dollars, that is like a Rainbow Roll). I think part of what makes Slay the Spire so good is that runs can be completely different from each other based on the cards and items you get. On the other hand, something like Enter the Gungeon was fun, but ultimately the runs play out about the same and the main difference is whether it is easier or harder depending on what you get and I don't see how it is possible to sink the same hours into it as StS.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 31, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pain of Mind posted:

Edit - Also, a day late to Hades chat, but how different are runs, and how long are runs? I am thinking about grabbing it even though I have not paid that much for a game in years ($16 whole dollars, that is like a Rainbow Roll). I think part of what makes Slay the Spire so good is that runs can be completely different from each other based on the cards and items you get. On the other hand, something like Enter the Gungeon was fun, but ultimately the runs play out about the same and the main difference is whether it is easier or harder depending on what you get and I don't see how it is possible to sink the same hours into it as StS.

I'm not a roguelike guy for the most part so I don't have anything to compare it to, but each run feels different enough to me, there's a bunch of randomness thrown in with what boons/rooms you get, whether you get to meet up with your buddies, etc. I mean the theme will feel samey after a while, there's nothing truly new after a certain point, but how you go about working through things is different.

Somewhere between a half hour to an hour and a half for a full run I'd guess (longer earlier on)*, but you can quit like every two minutes. After clearing any room you can save and start up there again when you have more time.

*-your first runs you won't have to worry about lasting long

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 31, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Amy Pole Her posted:

GBS?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp, turns out my friend and I are cursed. Last Thursday we went snowboarding with a third, and the third biffed on his second real run down the main hill and injured his left rotator cuff. One week later tonight, we went back with a different third and…

…he biffed it on his second run down the main hill and separated his left AC joint and tore a ligament. Pour one out for all the left shoulders that will never feel the same again :v:

Also, yeah my parents got me a KitchenAid stand mixer for Christmas a couple of years ago and that’s probably one of my favorite gifts. I only use it every now and then, but when I do, I’m glad I have it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yup that is indeed it. GBS.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I normally just read depressing non-fiction but I just read a non-fiction novel for the first time in forever and guess what? Turns out reading for entertainment is awesome!!!

If you watched the Chernobyl miniseries a few years back and enjoyed it (as much as one could "enjoy" it), Midnight In Chernobyl is excellent.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thaddius the Large posted:

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, go for some light sci fi about cognizant spiders developing civilization just in time to fight off invading humans, and it ends in a surprisingly pleasant manner!

Haha that is precisely the nonfiction book I read! I must have picked up that from the TFF Chat thread :)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Control-Damascus-Accident-Illusion/dp/0143125788

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G83UI2/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Haha that is precisely the nonfiction book I read! I must have picked up that from the TFF Chat thread :)

Uh, jeebus, I just kinda picked it from my recent reads! The sequel was also fun fwiw, definitely just a variation on the same theme but you get some neat continuations from the first book.

Edit: I probably got these recommendations here too, but A Fire Upon the Deep is more sci fi in the grand space opera sense, or if you’re willing to delve into fantasy then the First Law series by Joe Abercrombie is a perennial thread favorite, and the Fifth Season is super intense in a very different way, more about learning to cope with trauma and pain while being able to accidentally apocalypse the immediate vicinity with a temper tantrum.

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 31, 2021

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Everyone read the blacktongue thief so I can talk about it with someone.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Amy Pole Her posted:

There was a goon back in the 02 days that joined the military and was paralyzed by the vaccines that every recruit gets at basic training. He got the 1/1,000,000 chance of the severe side effect of the vaccine destroying the myliean sheath around his spinal neurons. He survived but was wheelchair bound. He also had an av of the handicapped symbol getting head from a stick figure and the custom title text "Blowjob accessable"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
A good one, but I remember one of these videos where old guy is on the right wearing a flat cap, and he fully squares up putting his hands up by his eyebrows. One jab and the young guy is on the ground.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

:gb2gbs:?

It’s down to how your play changes based on different weapons and also how different ‘boons’ - the items you’re gifted - fall into various classes (deflection, poison, electricity, etc). There’s also various plot and side-story chains that continue and advance run to run.

A full good run for me is ~30-ish minutes, I’m also pausing or closing the Switch mid-run regularly.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Freaquency posted:

A stand mixer is the best thing in the world to have if you need (:v:) to knead dough. I make homemade pasta regularly and if I didn’t have the mixer to do the hard part… yeah, I just wouldn’t.

Stand mixer absolutely essential for delicious cakes

Decorating still not my strong suit :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yup that is indeed it. GBS.

Guillain-Barré syndrome ain’t nothing to gently caress with and is a major issue for any vaccine. Sucks for your friend, for sure.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I liked Alone on the Ice. It’s a story of a guy in 1913 surviving in Antarctica after some accidents while he is out exploring. He has to trek back to his base camp alone for days.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s been answered.

Based on his medical history he might have been exempted. I’ve written a lot of exemptions for some of my former GBS and CIDP patients.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Ah dang, the dog I was talking about a week or two ago got adopted. I am mostly relieved as it's probably a bad idea to get a new dog right before also getting a new baby, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

I read The Poison Squad earlier this year, which is about the early days of the US FDA in the late 19th/early 20th century. Admittedly a super-niche topic, but I thought it was really good and it's not terribly long.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 1, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I will note that the covid vaccine does not cause GBS. It is a huge reason for people to get exemptions from vaccines in general. I’m surprised somebody got the full covid series with GBS.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Peppermint cake? Yes plz.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

Can you code an API for 80 dollars an hour

lol no but I’m a quick learner

Not quick enough to bail on EMS at the elbow of our biggest Covid spike.

Also there isn’t a :sigh: big enough

https://twitter.com/samsacks/status/1476907960228057093?s=21

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It won't last long enough for anyone to notice!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I made pasta by hand exactly once and will use the stand mixer from now on

I do still hand knead the dough at the end before resting just to get it where I want it but I'm not doing that for ten minutes ever again

Fresh pasta is such a delight

e: maybe one day I'll get confident enough to make a stuffed pasta, haven't done it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Stuffed pasta isn’t that bad, but getting a good filling is important. If it’s really wet, it can cause the pasta to fall apart. Need to be really good about sealing all the edges too, otherwise the filling will come out.

I used to do pirogi parties before my kid came along. I’d make like 150 pirogies for a bunch of people. I got creative with some of the fillings. Your hands get a little dry at the end because of all the flour. Hopefully in a few years I can start back up.