Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Did our tests to fly back tomorrow, wife booked it in some shopping centre here... which is uh about the size of the mall from Dead Rising. It was rough as hell in there

Sister in law was like oh yeah don't worry these tests are so bad that even if you had it you'd have to be super unlucky to test positive and that's neither my goal nor is it actually comforting at all!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Well that's another Christmas ruined by COVID.

Was planning to bring my family to see my grandparents tomorrow but theres a case in the household and they probably have it so will be isolating.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Turns out the logistics are hosed, so what you do is you get registered for a GP and then you go to a walk-in vaccination center and they will update your record there with your proof of vaccination from the EU.

Just got my booster! Thank you for the info!

I ended up missing out on going back to Ireland this Christmas myself. I tested negative this last two weeks (been taking daily tests because of work and because of scares) but it was for the best. UK and Irish cases are exploding right now and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I got anyone sick.

Plan to head back once things calm down a little. Hopefully late January or early February. Not the worst.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Got a two positive lateral flow tests back to back on boxing day/st Stephens day/wren day (delete as necessary) but got me negative PCR test back today after isolating for a bit. Did like three negative lateral flow tests in-between the first two ones and the pcr as well.

Bit of festive fun this based on the number of people queueing for a pcr

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kustomkarkommando posted:

Got a two positive lateral flow tests back to back on boxing day/st Stephens day/wren day (delete as necessary) but got me negative PCR test back today after isolating for a bit. Did like three negative lateral flow tests in-between the first two ones and the pcr as well.

2 days trying to find a PCR appointment in Dublin for me now. I'm p much losing the will to keep refreshing because I definitely have it and the numbers are totally hosed anyway

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Parents are the same. Nephew brought it into the household and they both tested positive on the antigen but can't get a PCR.

I see a lot of journalists saying they should stop with PCR and let people take antigen. Conveniently that would reduce the case numbers as antigens wouldn't be counted.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Have my booster booked for the morning of New Years Eve, so that'll be fun suffering from the effects while people get to celebrate.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the effects don't always kick in right away. I had my first dose on a Wednesday evening and the side effects only hit me on the Saturday :shrug:

i didn't really have any side effects after my second one or booster - just a sore arm

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

kustomkarkommando posted:

Same, but my PCR came back positive :bravo: South Douglas Rd test center in Cork was rammed on the 27th.

Now trying to work out what 'day 10' means isolation-wise. Is it from the first positive result with lateral flow, or from the day the PCR test was taken?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Same, but my PCR came back positive :bravo: South Douglas Rd test center in Cork was rammed on the 27th.

Now trying to work out what 'day 10' means isolation-wise. Is it from the first positive result with lateral flow, or from the day the PCR test was taken?

The former

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Thank goodness for that. No symptoms as far as I can tell so counting the days and cursing my luck.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Governments really taking that christmas break seriously huh?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Nothing breaks up their summer or Christmas break.

I think the only time they ever reconvened during either was to pass the bank bailout.

A pandemic running wild isn't as important as protecting a few banks.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Got booster from my local GP. Thank gently caress I don't have to wait. Was a bunch of kids there but queue was small. Relief is real.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Got my booster this morning and went for a decent walk around town, before coming home and finishing the FRIENDS lego model. Now for it to properly kick in and knock me out for the day!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I got the booster yesterday afternoon as the torrential rain made the queue out of the city hall practically non-existant. Fair fucks to the nurse who gave me the booster, she was extra careful with me since I fainted 3 times getting the first dose then fainted once after the second dose (fainting so many times after the first dose made the nurses doing the second be extra cautious and put me on a gurney for the jab and for 30 minutes afterwards). I managed to come away from the booster without fainting at all and only feeling a slightly increasing twinge in my arm, then last night I crashed hard.

Stayed in bed for 11 hours, couldn't get my body to heat up properly, kept waking up with sweating tremors and general pain from rolling over onto my arm during the night. My head loving hurts, my arm is pulsating and hot, I feel like I need to drink 5 litres of water before even standing up.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
That sounds super rough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a reaction like that to my first one, really does lay you right out, couldn't move because my entire body was shaking so bad, It should pass fairly quickly at least.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The HSE texted me with a booster appointment for the 3rd in Citywest. Even when I was in Ireland Citywest is a two hour haul away on public transport, but Swords is just around the corner...

This fukkan country, eh?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

The HSE texted me with a booster appointment for the 3rd in Citywest. Even when I was in Ireland Citywest is a two hour haul away on public transport, but Swords is just around the corner...

This fukkan country, eh?

If you're not in Ireland both locations are probably pretty inconvenient

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Swords is close to the airport and TBH getting a flight home from London is faster than getting to Citywest from my Parent's.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah fair point, Citywest is an accursed place

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/williamhboney1/status/1477423298225049603

Anybody else find it weird an anonymous twitter account who posts graphs about how the government is great at tackling covid is getting donations from members of the government.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
What a nerd, giving your name and not going for something cool / stupid so people don't catch you out.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Only €30? It must be Leo

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Which Twitter account is it. They go out of their way not to name the account in the Tweets so I can't see who they are talking about.
I have probably seen the account they are mentioning but I'd like to just confirm it myself.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
He's talking about Riocht2Connor.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Marenghi posted:

Anybody else find it weird an anonymous twitter account who posts graphs about how the government is great at tackling covid is getting donations from members of the government.

You mean donations to a charity the person is collecting for?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Oh is that what it is.

I thought it was a care2much situation where he was asking people to donate for his graph work.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Really enjoying that the response to current staff shortages seems to be trending towards "just go back to work sooner gently caress it"

Emboldening bosses to get you back in to work while you're still unfit because we live in a nightmare

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Shoehead posted:

Really enjoying that the response to current staff shortages seems to be trending towards "just go back to work sooner gently caress it"

Emboldening bosses to get you back in to work while you're still unfit because we live in a nightmare

While you’re still unfit and prone to making more people sick. Wow I wonder how long this solution will last

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/sarahcareyIRL/status/1477967929568288772

So she's gone from supporting an anonymous account because he does good work. To having his personal email, and presumably knowing his identity.

Ah he's gone to ground now after Paddy Cosgrave went trawling through his old tweets to expose him.

Turns out he was an executive at Pfizer. Explains why he attacked so rabidly the TRIPS waiver.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1477964227566522368

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 3, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

Ah he's gone to ground now after Paddy Cosgrave went trawling through his old tweets to expose him.

Turns out he was an executive at Pfizer. Explains why he attacked so rabidly the TRIPS waiver.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1477964227566522368

This is real "worst person in the world made a good point" stuff. Really, everyone involved is a loving dickhead and should be walled up in an abandoned train tunnel (especially Leo)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Marenghi posted:

To be fair, those sites let you claim to be anyone when donating. It's not 100% guaranteed that the names are legit.

But holy gently caress, Paddy doing the right thing three times in one year? Truly the world is ending...

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

cosgraves a opportunist cokehead sack of shite.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's why it's funny watching him try to salvage his reputation after the imaginary dead nurses.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Marenghi posted:

You can put literally anyone's name down as a donor for charity drives and campaigns. That's why various right-wing politicians have their names listed as donors on pro-choice fundraisers all the time.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Southpaugh posted:

cosgraves a opportunist cokehead sack of shite.

From what i heard in the early days of WebSummit he basically exploited young students for free labor who would work for exposure. And it's hilarious that he's carrying on a grudge over FG not bending over backwards to give him free buses and wifi at his event.

But drat if he doesn't catch them out every now and again.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've heard mad stories from WebSummit, incredibly dysfunctional workplace.

PC's being sued by 3 separate people too, isn't he. And in Zuckerbergian fashion, two of them were friends of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Marenghi posted:

From what i heard in the early days of WebSummit he basically exploited young students for free labor who would work for exposure. And it's hilarious that he's carrying on a grudge over FG not bending over backwards to give him free buses and wifi at his event.

But drat if he doesn't catch them out every now and again.

This. Paddy is by all accounts absolutely awful to work for/with, and just be around in general.

But at the same time hes one of very, very few powerful people in Ireland whos willing to publicly go against FG/FF and the media that supports them. Paddy has almost single-handedly brought national attention to things like Leo leaking documents that would never have been given the light of day otherwise.

So he might be an arsehole but hes an arsehole that is at least contributing positively to the country, which is more than most rich people do.