Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

granblue gamers will know, but all may appreciate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rifsa1Z2pI4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm how far can I carry Landsaint Gear to level 90

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm how far can I carry Landsaint Gear to level 90

I took it all the way. I just did timed collectibles and the role quests and never needed higher stats.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

admanb posted:

I took it all the way. I just did timed collectibles and the role quests and never needed higher stats.

And there's no actually available replacement for them outside of crafting HQ set yourself at 87 and even that felt bit of waste of time.
Vendor trash doesn't get significantly better until lvl 90 and at that point might as well make the HQ versions.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How is it that the ARR Relic is still the best WAR relic all these expansions later?

There's no topping perfection.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
yeah you can easily coast gatherers and crafters to 90 using white scrip gear ilvl500 gear.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Unless we go back to lockdowns I don’t see myself getting any crafters/gatherers to 90 especially on console without the third party stuff that makes it easier

I do think I’ll max out BRD and GNB, so far BRD at 80 content feels like “what if shb bard actually made sense” and looking at the stuff to 90 it’s pretty much all just quality of life improvements and nothing massive. Let’s make apex arrow actually good. Let’s make abilities stronger Here’s another buff cool

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I should probably finish levelling my crafters at some point. I got all of them to 40, apart from my BSM & GSM that I got to 80 before focusing on the rest.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Crafting and gathering are easy to level even if you don’t craft or gather. Do your daily GC turn ins with stuff bought off the mb or just as a goon crafter that can hq everything with a couple button presses. It took around two weeks of mostly daily GC turn ins to take everything from 80-90.

It’ll take you a bit longer if you weren’t already capped, but you can still easily get a level+ a day with crafters and gatherers without doing much crafting or gathering at all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I posted an essay about FFXIV over in this year's GOTY thread. It's a bit of a doozy but I had a lot to say.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

That's a good post

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Quick thoughts on some various EW job changes.

Black Mage: A -> A (ShB -> EW)
Black Mage was already a brilliantly fun and rewarding rotation, and to their credit they decided not to mess with a good thing. Paradox and Amplifier are honestly kind of underwhelming, but the duration timers on buffs/Thunder really make the class a lot kinder. The real winner is the second charge of Triplecast, but I'm concerned seeing the kind of mobility they gave SMN (the 2nd boss of the level 90 MSQ dungeon comes to mind too) that constant movement is going to be a theme this expansion and even double Triplecast won't be enough.

Summoner: F -> C-
I did not click with ShB SMN at all. Nu-SMN is brilliantly flashy, ridiculously mobile and... where are all my buttons? This can't be the optimal rotation, right, it plays like a job synced below 60. It is? Oh. SMN could probably have stood to have more distinction between the Egi phases, or a DoT from the beforetimes or something. Job design feels like it needed another refinement pass to make it feel more rewarding to play right instead of just handing you Demis/Egis on a minute timer.

Monk: C+ -> B+
I liked the rhythmic nature of previous MNK, keeping alternate/third beats going, but Perfect Balance utilization broke me out of the flow so jarringly it was hard to use. Five GCDs while trying to keep up Twin Snakes/Demolish was super awkward, and getting dumped out of a stance altogether at the end was highly janky. New Monk solves most everything about that. Only three GCDs (four really counting the Blitz action) and gives you Formless. And no more positional on Bootshine is heavenly. Riddle of Fire and Brotherhood really should be combined, and there's a few vestigial actions hanging around (Anatman, Riddle of Earth) to purge/rework. But overall even more fun.

Warrior: B -> A
Just plain relaxing and brutal. More Inner Release windows = more fun. Breeze through dungeons. (I've always thought Fell Cleave should apply a stacking recast/weaponskill lowering buff that drops when you do anything not a Fell Cleave, like Surpanakha kinda.) Primal Rend makes a silly noise and I wish the Inner Release button turned into it, but maybe they have some policy about Abilities not transforming into Weaponskills? Bloodwhetting is hilarious.

Samurai: A -> A
Samurai got into the edibles because it's so much more chill now. ShB SAM was constant tension for me - fast paced, frequent decisions about what combo path to go down and where to slot in Iajutsus. I liked that a lot, but the extra charges on Kaeshi and Meikyo (and Meikyo refreshing buffs) completely defuse the stress. Kenki gain/expenditure has also been chilled out. I'm not sure yet whether I miss the plate spinning of old Samurai, but I can't deny the new one feels so very smooth. And Ogi Namikiri is just lovely.

Dancer: B -> C+
Dancer got more stuff to cram into its already overflowing TechStep window. New GCD Tillana and two new oGCDs. At least Improvisation is better?

Bard: D -> B
Big improvements here! Everything meshes together better. Still leveling this one for Coda and Apex changes. Unhooking DoTs from Repertoire cleans up the AoE nicely. I would like a better indication for Straight Shot Ready/Shadowbite Ready than having to stare at my bars constantly though. Or let it build up charges like Fourfold Feathers.

Haven't played these classes yet, but it just seems like DRG and MCH just got one new ability each and potency/animation changes mostly. Ninja I haven't looked at yet.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Grayshift posted:

Quick thoughts on some various EW job changes.

Black Mage: A -> A (ShB -> EW)
Black Mage was already a brilliantly fun and rewarding rotation, and to their credit they decided not to mess with a good thing. Paradox and Amplifier are honestly kind of underwhelming, but the duration timers on buffs/Thunder really make the class a lot kinder. The real winner is the second charge of Triplecast, but I'm concerned seeing the kind of mobility they gave SMN (the 2nd boss of the level 90 MSQ dungeon comes to mind too) that constant movement is going to be a theme this expansion and even double Triplecast won't be enough.

Summoner: F -> C-
I did not click with ShB SMN at all. Nu-SMN is brilliantly flashy, ridiculously mobile and... where are all my buttons? This can't be the optimal rotation, right, it plays like a job synced below 60. It is? Oh. SMN could probably have stood to have more distinction between the Egi phases, or a DoT from the beforetimes or something. Job design feels like it needed another refinement pass to make it feel more rewarding to play right instead of just handing you Demis/Egis on a minute timer.

Yeah I was a little surprised at how they basically turned SMN into a physical ranged dealer with all of the instants. I love the flavor of the class and the animations are amazing, but I agree that it needs some spice and I kind of started to lose interest around 88-89. In general I think it's a good idea for them to have a wide variety of jobs as far as how frantic or chill they are, but the difference between high movement fights playing a SMN vs a BLM is crazy. Love the extra triplecast charge but crazy movement fights just feel super frustrating as BLM after the charges are gone and the SMN has no problems at all. If the trend is for greater movement (seems that way if you go through the leveling dungeons and look at stuff like bozja CEs) it may be a real problem that an extra charge of triplecast can't overcome.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Sharlay housing when

Sharlay housing looks so much nicer than ishgard. I honestly don't get the hype over ishgard housing, it's all grey stone. Kugane and even all three starter zones are more interesting

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

Sharlay housing looks so much nicer than ishgard. I honestly don't get the hype over ishgard housing, it's all grey stone. Kugane and even all three starter zones are more interesting

It's because people loved Heavensward op

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Summoner has always been extremely mobile. In Shb with egi assaults, and ruin 4s, with some 2s if you're really desperate you rarely had much issue moving if you needed to. Plus you could move during demis but that was a dps loss. You had to plant your feet a lot for maximum damage but moving felt pretty natural, and you wouldn't clip your gcd to just move over. If you planned you could time spending your various stacks to avoid capping to do it more efficiently. BLM always that the issue that if I was caught off guard by something late in fire it'd be like oh I have to interrupt my cast because I don't have time to finish this, use xeno, swiftcast fire without dropping enochian. It always felt bad. I feel like summoner is slightly less mobile now if only because of Ifrit where you have no choice but to plant your feet and cast with no backup instant cast except for a single ruin 4 to stall for a chance to cast. I like ifrit and planning around when to drop him so I can finish the casts but it feels much more restrictive then anything in Shb SMN.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
FF14 is cool and good and I love it but I hate it because everyday I change my mind on what job to level.

I started ShB like 3 weeks before EW launched and I'm just now close to wrapping up 5.0. In that time I've leveled four jobs to 78+ and I don't know if I'm ever going to make it to EW :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I liked Summoner before and I like it now

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

suuma posted:

FF14 is cool and good and I love it but I hate it because everyday I change my mind on what job to level.

I started ShB like 3 weeks before EW launched and I'm just now close to wrapping up 5.0. In that time I've leveled four jobs to 78+ and I don't know if I'm ever going to make it to EW :v:

Just do what I did and level everything! You get a cool mount for it!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

suuma posted:

Level the jobs that seem fun to you, and if that happens to be every job then enjoy your time well spent.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah I was a little surprised at how they basically turned SMN into a physical ranged dealer with all of the instants.

It sounds like they gave it ranged DPS damage penalty, too, so...
(Phoenix as utility is weird, though, given how time restricted it is)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Summoner is fun and it has be curious what they'll add to it in the next expansion.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm actually kind of anxious about the next expansion wrt job changes. Do you think people will be ok with it if they do another expansion where most classes get, like, extra charges for a few cooldowns and nothing else?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rhonne posted:

New Summoner is fun and it has be curious what they'll add to it in the next expansion.

An alternate set of summons for Ice, Lightning and Water.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OddObserver posted:

It sounds like they gave it ranged DPS damage penalty, too, so...
(Phoenix as utility is weird, though, given how time restricted it is)

RDM has similar utility though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ninja is funny to me since it's basically half ranged class except for some reason your basic combo requires you to be in melee. They took out the standard melee dot and added in some new buttons to press (that are also ranged) but they don't feel amazingly powerful to me, they just kinda interrupt your basic rotation with slightly more powerful GCDs. Which I'm fine with (except for the Raiju awkwardness) I just find it funny that melee attacks are slowly being replaced with ranged attacks. Maybe the endgame is to convert them into a ranged dps and solve the Scouting gear problem once and for all.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NIN was always my favorite job but it seems kind of jumbled at the moment so I haven't even gotten it to 90 yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm actually kind of anxious about the next expansion wrt job changes. Do you think people will be ok with it if they do another expansion where most classes get, like, extra charges for a few cooldowns and nothing else?

They can honestly probably get away with it if each job gets at most one new actual button and they maybe just upgrade a couple of their moves to have slightly higher potencies and fancier animations. Maybe I'm just easy to please but I always love leveling a healer in a new expansion and getting a new spammable attack, even if it's just exactly the same thing with a new animation and very slightly higher numbers :v:

If one of Red Mage's new abilities in 7.0 is just Jolt III that's fine by me

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I hate that you actually have to bind Phantom Kamaitachi instead of it just replacing Bunshin for it's one charge. Super annoying. At least the burst window is smoothed, it feels nice overall.

DRG meanwhile feels much worse to me than it did in ShB, it feels way busier in terms of ogcds, and for some reason they kept Dragon Sight even if it's awkward and annoying. Also like it's new animations are...too extra to me? This is a line not everyone will have but they crossed it for me.

If there's anything I hope for next expansion, they keep the crazy tank abilities to push some of the power of keeping them alive back to them and then give healers actually interesting damaging rotations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I also prefer upgrades to old abilities to new ones. Even ignoring the pain of adding new buttons to my bars, it just feels better to get better at the stuff I'm already doing. That's just me though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Clarste posted:

I also prefer upgrades to old abilities to new ones. Even ignoring the pain of adding new buttons to my bars, it just feels better to get better at the stuff I'm already doing. That's just me though.

Yeah I don't mind getting new animations and stuff, it's a treat. Especially on a job like reaper that basically feels perfect and the only change I'd want is putting Communio on the same button Shroud is.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Clarste posted:

Yeah I love the level 76 trait that upgrades Kassatsu to give you Goka Mekkyaku or Hyosho Ranryu. It didn't add any buttons but feels really fun and satisfying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

Yeah I don't mind getting new animations and stuff, it's a treat. Especially on a job like reaper that basically feels perfect and the only change I'd want is putting Communio on the same button Shroud is.

The amount of things that would benefit from this makes me suspect that there's some sort of technical limitation preventing them from conditionally changing an ability into a weaponskill or spell. Maybe that'll get worked out by 7.0, though, that'd be nice.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

HackensackBackpack posted:

We should also get Smileton housing.

I first read this as "Sheltron housing". I like that idea better.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HackensackBackpack posted:

We should also get Smileton housing.

Those would be some World that Never Was rear end subdivisions

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Clarste posted:

I got monk to 82 and, while Shadow of the Destroyer is sick as hell, I miss the huge obnoxious fissures in the ground Arm of the Destroyer created

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like Dancer and it feels good to me in Extreme content-- still in the place where I don't feel like a powerhouse like I do as reaper or warrior but if I know what I'm doing I can very easily hold my own. I think I'm ride or die ranged physical DPS because I just love the mobility too much; even the small handful of long-cast Summoner abilities nixes it as a long-term "main" for me. Bard and Machinist feel really great too so far (I have them both at 85) but En Avant is such a nice button and I feel it's absence when I'm running as something else, plus the animations just click for me on Dancer.

Edit: Actually every job I've touched has felt really great. I have Gunbreaker, Reaper, and Summoner (plus Scholar) at 90 in addition to Dancer-- I sort of co-main DNC and GNB but I was very seriously tempted to switch to Reaper because it just feels like every element is working together and flowing in such a compelling, propulsive way. In addition to the other ranged physical DPS jobs I also have Warrior and Sage pretty close to cap and I adore both. Warrior will very probably replace GNB as my tank main once I wrap up my second GNB mount and Sage is definitely definitely definitely my new healer of choice.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 31, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

The amount of things that would benefit from this makes me suspect that there's some sort of technical limitation preventing them from conditionally changing an ability into a weaponskill or spell. Maybe that'll get worked out by 7.0, though, that'd be nice.

There is currently an add-on for XIV called Pcombo that actually does that stuff already. Like it does the "Bunshin into Kamitachi" thing. So it's probably not technically impossible.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Harrow posted:

There's abilities that already work like this in PvP, PvP BLM Enochian is an oGCD that transforms into Fire/Blizzard IV on GCD, same with Hypercharge and Heat Blast on PvP MCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
For those interested in RDM in EW, I put up my new episode of Talking The Red! As always, it's just a kind of look-in at my style of play as someone in orange on both fights. It's less of a "here's peak optimization" guide and more of a way to just kind of go over my thoughts for newer RDMs or someone wanting to know something kind of specific for a particular boss. Hopefully someone out there can get some use from it!

Spoilers for the two Extreme Trials, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlSu6WXKNHY