Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

sailormoon posted:

Is there a goon presence in The Elder Scrolls Online? Being only $20 in the steam sale makes it tempting to pick up even if I only play it for a bit.

try this discord maybe https://discord.gg/PZ3DgUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think my issue with gw2's story is that the vast majority of the characters including the player are just completely uncharismatic blobs doing whedon quips and at multiple points you go "wait, who the hell are you and why is my character acting like they know you" because the writing is awful at establishing characters and their relationships to other characters. ffxiv's story takes forever getting going but that's in large part because they spend a lot of time getting you familiar with characters and places so you have a good handle on what's going on.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the only character I remember positively from gw2 is Tybalt Leftpaw

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I have like 2000 hours in GW2 and have cared about any of the writing for like 10 of them max. It’s just bad.

Thankfully everything else is very good and because of how the game is structured you don’t have nearly as much writing to slog through as other games with lots of “quests”.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The older I get the more I appreciate Guild Wars 1 and wish it would get a rerelase or something to spark people to play it again (myself included).

I feel like a lot of the limitations the game has actually end up making for a better game in a lot of ways. Sure its not really an MMO but its kind of the precursor to all these segmented online games like Destiny. What I really liked about Guild Wars was how low the level cap was. It sounds lame on paper but in function its brilliant because it means you can't just grind your way to overcome content. Once you reach level 20, increasing your power level comes more down to the skills you use and your tactics. So whenever I failed at content I didn't think 'guess I have to grind and come back stronger' but rather 'guess I need to rethink my approach to this'. Plus it meant that every zone in the game could provide a reasonable challenge level if you played on hard mode, and it was actually fun to go around clearing zones of all the enemies.

Then again, IDK how much of that is just nostalgia talking. All I know is GW2 seemed to move away from a lot of what made GW1 unique in lieu of being a 'true' MMO which I now realize never really interested me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
GW1 was a great game and they threw it all away to make basically the marvel movie of mmos

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
And how much QOL advancement has happened since it came out? Is it going to feel terrible to play unless they update some poo poo?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Guild Wars 1 is one of the best “gather your party and venture forth” games out there. With the heroes it’s honestly one of the better party builder games out there. And you never really get to stomp content so it’s just a good time.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
There's a tipping point that I've identified around 2008 or so where the demographics of MMORPG players had solidified and with the market being established, games since have targeted two very narrow sets of people: 1. Lots of time, addictive personality, competitive behaviour, and 2. Casual, social, has mom's credit card to buy virtual hats.

In targeting the first category, mechanics are gamified and grindified to oblivion with repetitive gameplay that rewards time and effort with endgame content. In the second category social elements and microtransactions are king. Both of these focuses often come at the detriment of the very element that used to be the centrepoint of the genre to begin with: world-building.

Think of the games that came out between 1999 and 2008 that were releasing with lore novellas and the playable zones would use expositional storytelling more often than the modern theme-park ride through a funnel of quest markers. Asking for a story-driven MMO will come up with an MMO in which the primary selling point, the "open world," becomes merely a sequence of backdrops for the linear storyline (eg. GW2, post-Cata WoW, FFXIV). I might as well just play a single-player game where they didn't have to devote 60% of their resources to making it functional online.

Maybe this is gaming as a whole, but I feel that as the markets have been established, the executives and their advisors have creeped in and stifled creativity. New IP is dead. It's just reskinned old poo poo or chimeric beasts of legacy games that tried to "modernise." And indie studios will never have the economic weight to create a world that both lives up to modern standards and is deserving of the universe they create.

Reacon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 31, 2021

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
New IP is too risky to make these days. No one's willing to throw money down the development pit just to have a game fail because one character was missing a face or something. Or, even worse, you could make a great game but some toxic crowd kills it for anyone else that wants to play.

poo poo, look at the toxic relationship between YouTubers and the Warframe devs for a light example of that.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The GW2 story is weird for me. The writing isn't good, but I was always still interested in seeing where it goes. I had gotten kind of bored with the game in 2020, and mostly just logged in to make sure I unlocked the living world updates. I was kind of excited when they announced to "Return to.." series they did this year where they came out with new achievements for each of the living world updates (season 2 onward) on a weekly basis, with rewards to go along with them. "What a cool way to get the player base to focus on specific content at a given time. I can't wait to go back and play highly populated maps and do the events/metas again!" I thought. Then it turns out to get the rewards, you also need to replay all of the instanced story steps. lol, nope. I don't know if I'll even end up buying End of Dragons at this point.

On another note, I started playing OSRS/Runescape for the first time ever two weeks ago. I've found both versions enjoyable. I like how the quests require you to actually read, pay attention to clues, solve puzzles, etc. and they can take hours to complete. A few of the quests have been like playing an adventure game with inventory object puzzles, like the one that was a parody of the movie Scream. Sometimes the game makes something completely obvious to you, the player, but your character in game is totally clueless. I'm sure some people hate that, but I have no problem laughing along with my character being tricked by the obviously bad guy into doing something completely bad and stupid. It's just plain fun.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 31, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, I've been playing the Ruined King game by Riot, and if I had to guess, their MMO is going to look and feel like this (but with non turn based combat). It already feels like an MMO world to me, but just designed to be navigated in single player.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

wrong thread lmao

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 31, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GI_Clutch posted:

The GW2 story is weird for me. The writing isn't good, but I was always still interested in seeing where it goes. I had gotten kind of bored with the game in 2020, and mostly just logged in to make sure I unlocked the living world updates. I was kind of excited when they announced to "Return to.." series they did this year where they came out with new achievements for each of the living world updates (season 2 onward) on a weekly basis, with rewards to go along with them. "What a cool way to get the player base to focus on specific content at a given time. I can't wait to go back and play highly populated maps and do the events/metas again!" I thought. Then it turns out to get the rewards, you also need to replay all of the instanced story steps. lol, nope. I don't know if I'll even end up buying End of Dragons at this point.

On another note, I started playing OSRS/Runescape for the first time ever two weeks ago. I've found both versions enjoyable. I like how the quests require you to actually read, pay attention to clues, solve puzzles, etc. and they can take hours to complete. A few of the quests have been like playing an adventure game with inventory object puzzles, like the one that was a parody of the movie Scream. Sometimes the game makes something completely obvious to you, the player, but your character in game is totally clueless. I'm sure some people hate that, but I have no problem laughing along with my character being tricked by the obviously bad guy into doing something completely bad and stupid. It's just plain fun.

I like the Guild Wars world, but don't care for the story itself. So I wanna see what happens to the world but could give a gently caress about any of the characters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guild Wars 2 is getting player mount boats, fishing, and giant turtle mounts. It wins.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

eonwe posted:

So, I've been playing the Ruined King game by Riot, and if I had to guess, their MMO is going to look and feel like this (but with non turn based combat). It already feels like an MMO world to me, but just designed to be navigated in single player.

That's a big assumption, Ruined King was made by Airship Syndicate, published by Riot Forge.

Those two are very different than proper Riot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dinurth posted:

That's a big assumption, Ruined King was made by Airship Syndicate, published by Riot Forge.

I understand that, but it still feels very much like an MMO in a lot of ways.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reacon posted:

Asking for a story-driven MMO will come up with an MMO in which the primary selling point, the "open world," becomes merely a sequence of backdrops for the linear storyline (eg. GW2, post-Cata WoW, FFXIV). I might as well just play a single-player game where they didn't have to devote 60% of their resources to making it functional online.

Say what you will about GW2 but this really isn’t the case for that game at all. I’d say its story content makes up a relatively small chunk of the game (thankfully because I really don’t like 90% of the story content). The vast majority of GW2’s content is in its open world events that huge groups of players take part in at once. That’s the focus over dungeons, raids, story, or anything else. It’s very much a game about open world exploring and doing big event chains that require large groups of players to work together. Or just things like mount races, jumping puzzles, things like that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Say what you will about GW2 but this really isn’t the case for that game at all. I’d say its story content makes up a relatively small chunk of the game (thankfully because I really don’t like 90% of the story content). The vast majority of GW2’s content is in its open world events that huge groups of players take part in at once. That’s the focus over dungeons, raids, story, or anything else. It’s very much a game about open world exploring and doing big event chains that require large groups of players to work together. Or just things like mount races, jumping puzzles, things like that.

yeah gw2 does a couple of things other mmos don't do in as satisfying a way and the relevance of exploring and interacting with the world is one of them. when I see people in early areas in ffxiv on a mount they're usually getting from point A to B while when I've seen them in early areas in gw2 they're usually actively engaged in world completion on their character.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
still waiting for yoship to figure out gw2 is just an elaborate series of fate chains and finally give us a good open world expansion. bozja was neat but still nothing close to what gw2 does in a few maps

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

eonwe posted:

As mentioned, Airship Syndicate are the brains behind it, but I broadly agree in the sense that it's a good aesthetic showcase for what Riot's nailed down for the look and feel of League-adjacent projects. Bilgewater feels like a real place despite the limited scale, and the overall tone and feel of it - kitchen sink fantasy that's punched up substantially by excellent character and world design - is something that's easily transferred over to an MMO's design.

Truga posted:

still waiting for yoship to figure out gw2 is just an elaborate series of fate chains and finally give us a good open world expansion. bozja was neat but still nothing close to what gw2 does in a few maps

For better or worse, the open world in FFXIV will always be more a means of establishing place and providing the grounding for certain side activities (gathering, sidequests, FATEs), instead of being the main draw. The story, dungeons, and raids are all what keep people coming back to the game in droves, and they also consume the most significant amount of dev time. They're also likely hamstrung by the age of the engine and the fact that it's really only designed for the kinds of activities you can already do; you'd need a redone engine (which may well be coming in 7.0, given the fact that the current one's nearly 9 years old and is badly showing its age) to make broad exploration not a huge pain in the rear end.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I played FFXIV this past summer and the open world was the low point for me. The general opinion seems to be that the ARR zones are the worst because they are small due to limitations from being PS3 era and due to the number of loading screens due to this, but I loved them. My seven year old SSD had no problem with them and I found them much more enjoyable than the later zones which just seemed to be bigger because they could be leading to too much empty space.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Dinurth posted:

If I'm not mistaken, though, the worldbuilding and story beats are still under Ghostcrawler's whole "disappear for five years to build the actual lore of Runeterra" project -- the same thing that brought you the broad strokes and feels of Arcane. I also just finished Ruined King and was telling friends a very similar sentiment: the world-building is really slick. Random fishermen talking about seeing Fizz out in the ocean, Janna reference in a lego item, how the different areas interact with gods/legends, etc etc. It all still fits, which is incredible. You can also see classes forming for each nation -- wind samurai, couple types of casters, gun-folks, yadda yadda. They could easily make the trinity MMO to end all trinity MMOs, if that's the direction they choose. If Illaoi types end up being the damage/healer hybrids like I had her built in RK, god drat.

One thing about Riot and its extended properties, pretty much everything they choose to do is incredible. Even though I don't particularly enjoy the card game (theme and terribly old-man-Magic-player), I can admit that the mechanics are solid and it has a wide appeal. Same with their auto-battler. Hell, even their boardgame (Mechs & Minions) has insane component quality and an amazing ruleset that oozes theme. The FGC is already super hype for Project L outside of people who don't like tag battlers, and even they are warming up to it. Riot even hired the people who pioneered rollback netcode to work on the game. They put money and care into all their extended IP poo poo and it shows.

Yeah, LoL proper is a dumpster fire at this point from a lot of point of views, but it's still insanely popular and I'd argue running/monetizing a 12 year old GaaS is an insane proposition.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Anyway to answer OP's question, no there will probably never be a good MMO ever again.

hth

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
My prediction is that Ruined King will do 100% nothing different than any current MMO but the dopesick MMO vagabonds will flock to it and start calling everyone Italian slurs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lost Ark looks fun, I am curious if it gets monetized into the gutter (it will)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

My prediction is that Ruined King will do 100% nothing different than any current MMO but the dopesick MMO vagabonds will flock to it and start calling everyone Italian slurs.

Ruined King is the single-player RPG that I think was made by the team that made Battle Chasers Nightwar, not the MMO. I dunno if the MMO actually has a name yet.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Harrow posted:

Ruined King is the single-player RPG that I think was made by the team that made Battle Chasers Nightwar, not the MMO. I dunno if the MMO actually has a name yet.

You know what I mean you booger

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jokes posted:

Can confirm it is a very fun game, but can also confirm that it gets monetized into the gutter.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

jokes posted:

Too bad about the pedo aesthetic of the new class

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Sintor posted:

If I'm not mistaken, though, the worldbuilding and story beats are still under Ghostcrawler's whole "disappear for five years to build the actual lore of Runeterra" project -- the same thing that brought you the broad strokes and feels of Arcane. I also just finished Ruined King and was telling friends a very similar sentiment: the world-building is really slick. Random fishermen talking about seeing Fizz out in the ocean, Janna reference in a lego item, how the different areas interact with gods/legends, etc etc. It all still fits, which is incredible. You can also see classes forming for each nation -- wind samurai, couple types of casters, gun-folks, yadda yadda. They could easily make the trinity MMO to end all trinity MMOs, if that's the direction they choose. If Illaoi types end up being the damage/healer hybrids like I had her built in RK, god drat.

One thing about Riot and its extended properties, pretty much everything they choose to do is incredible. Even though I don't particularly enjoy the card game (theme and terribly old-man-Magic-player), I can admit that the mechanics are solid and it has a wide appeal. Same with their auto-battler. Hell, even their boardgame (Mechs & Minions) has insane component quality and an amazing ruleset that oozes theme. The FGC is already super hype for Project L outside of people who don't like tag battlers, and even they are warming up to it. Riot even hired the people who pioneered rollback netcode to work on the game. They put money and care into all their extended IP poo poo and it shows.

Yeah, LoL proper is a dumpster fire at this point from a lot of point of views, but it's still insanely popular and I'd argue running/monetizing a 12 year old GaaS is an insane proposition.

Nope. Without revealing too much this is way off. Riot Forge is (was, still is?) a separate thing from Riot proper and Ruined King was largely Airship's baby (obviously they worked together closely on story/lore), but ultimately Airship did their thing and Riot provided backup where needed. Riot Forge's whole thing was to bring in indies who make cool poo poo and let them make cool poo poo with their IP. Riot actually approached Airship to make a game because they liked Battle Chasers so much.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

hazardousmouse posted:

New IP is too risky to make these days. No one's willing to throw money down the development pit just to have a game fail because one character was missing a face or something. Or, even worse, you could make a great game but some toxic crowd kills it for anyone else that wants to play.

I see this said all the time and know this to be true, but the amount of money shitted into the void and scammed off of MMO fans wanting a new game, is in the tens of millions or more. 8 out of 10 of these MMO kickstarters are just actual scams, using MMO buzz words and building up hype through marketing tactics, to syphon money from people.

I don't understand why some talented people can't get together and use the communities they are already apart of (private MMO server developers who are already working for free to sustain a long dead game), and work on a new game with backing from people like myself who would neverrrrr give money to a kickstarter for an MMO even before all the scams, but would definitely consider helping fund a game from people I know to be cool people/hardworking/etcetc.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

knox posted:

I see this said all the time and know this to be true, but the amount of money shitted into the void and scammed off of MMO fans wanting a new game, is in the tens of millions or more. 8 out of 10 of these MMO kickstarters are just actual scams, using MMO buzz words and building up hype through marketing tactics, to syphon money from people.

I don't understand why some talented people can't get together and use the communities they are already apart of (private MMO server developers who are already working for free to sustain a long dead game), and work on a new game with backing from people like myself who would neverrrrr give money to a kickstarter for an MMO even before all the scams, but would definitely consider helping fund a game from people I know to be cool people/hardworking/etcetc.

I think several of the people developing Monsters & Memories are from the EQEmu scene, for what it’s worth, but they aren’t asking for money yet :v:

Something about making prototypes and whatnot. Not enough dreams.txt

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again

Dark Souls MMO

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
isn't that just bdo

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Truga posted:

isn't that just bdo

It would be in regards to how it controls but have you played bdo? You can sleep walk through the content and pvp is a joke

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Also your attacks / animations couldn’t be so over the top. Needs to be subdued

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

imagine a lv. 1 pyromancer chain backstabbing a zweihander wielding giant dad, forever

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

CYBEReris posted:

imagine a lv. 1 pyromancer chain backstabbing a zweihander wielding giant dad, forever

I’m telling you it would be everything

If the controls were done right —- the game could be as abusive to the player as OG EQ and people would still play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ichabod Tane posted:

It would be in regards to how it controls but have you played bdo? You can sleep walk through the content and pvp is a joke

the pve content in bdo is lacking, but the reasons why are in its grindiness. you want to grind content you can clown on, so your number goes up quicker because it takes months to grind for anything. i played shai, which can actually grind poo poo most other classes can't and that was p. fun, but slow as hell lol

also it's somehow a no-instance mmo that's only playable solo lmbo. can't even trade with your friends, everything goes through the shop

i heard they added some actual multiplayer areas for grinding but i can't play anymore since i deleted windows