Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Best thing about Rise of the Tomb Raider is the supremely cool and addicting Endurance Mode DLC.

That's what it was called!

bees x1000 posted:

I don't see any TR DLC on the Epic Store, is it all included in the main packages?

Yeah. The stores pages say "all season pass content" or "all DLC."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I definitely enjoyed Rise more than Shadow, though Shadow has the coolest setting.

Shadow has good combat but the arenas it was set in never once really clicked for me. I felt like there were a lot of cramped linear bits where you don't have much option but to sneak till you're discovered and then blast everyone, and quite a few times just kiting people around a room while I reloaded.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first tomb raider reboot was merely mediocre but rise was one of the most rancid, joyless, derivative games i played in recent memory

i kept at it mainly to flex my then-new PC and it still felt like a waste because 90% of the environments were either featureless snow or featureless mud

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, something about Shadow just didn't quite click with me, either. Had a cool setting and all the gameplay elements I enjoyed from the reboot, but somehow I just didn't feel like playing on after a few hours.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I enjoyed TR2013 but everything about Rise felt so overwrought and cinematic and i dunno, busy?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Actually plot is far and away the worst part of both Rise and Shadow.

Rise is copy pasted Indiana Jones (find hidden city, meet lost tribe, fight mythical guardians and dispose of magic artifact that is Not For The Hands Of Man)

Shadow is hands down the worst because it is not only an Indy ripoff, it is a blow for blow copy of the Rise story with East Roman find-and-replaced to Inca.

Also yeah the insistence that these are very serious games sucks and at no point is Lara allowed to enjoy having cool adventures and making the dream discoveries of any archaeologist ever.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Tomb Raider 2013 gets a pass at trying very, very hard to do something different with vision that's not just a copy/paste of the dozens of Lara games that where flogging their own IP to death.

So of course as soon as it gets a glimmer of public attention the flogging resumes...

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Tomb Raider 2013 felt like a joyless, less colorful version of Uncharted. The weapons were mostly good but so many parts forced you to use the bow instead.

I did like the isometric coop Tomb Raider game that got released at around the same time. Lara Croft and the Sonething of Light? It was good fun.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How’s do I emulate on chrome cast? All the instructions I find say “install these programs” which... well the google home app doesn’t seem to give me full control of the device, no App Store there to find? Is it supposed to go through retro arch on the phone or pc? I’m sure it’s not. I have a thumb drive w rom connected to the usb hub the cast is powered through... that’s one thing they said I needed.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I really liked Tomb Raider 2013 and had fun 100%ing it. The story component alone is pretty linear but if you want to explore everything, it turns into a bit of a Metroidvania. The second one was good too but I don't remember it as much. I haven't played much of the third one yet because my computer was struggling to run it. I grabbed the PS4 version recently to play on PS5 but I have yet to get around to it.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I'm craving an open world game. Any suggestions? I enjoyed all the fallout games, but played RDR2 and kinda bounced off.

For a recommendation, play Spiritfarer if you want the feels. First game to make me cry in a long while. Its an exploration game where you play as the new Charon. There is also lots of minigames where you craft stuff for your boat, or collect resources, or tetris your boat buildings into a nice order.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

I played Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or the other one... Human Revolution? Whichever one was first. I thought it was alright, and I was thinking of finally doing the other one but I'd heard that maybe it just ends in a cliffhanger or something? I guess I just want to know, is it worth playing? Or will it leave me just feeling very unfulfilled?

In my opinion Human Revolution was great apart from the unavoidable boss fights being rather annoying to do non-lethal.

Mankind Divided was more all over the place for me from the perspective of stealthing around. For example, one of the missions can be finished while completely undetected by enemies/alarms and you still get a cutscene about being chased at the end because... plot reasons?
The Prague sewer system also has sections where you can stealth through to aid someone undetected but it's hard to know for sure whether or not you succeeded in getting the Ghost bonus until you get a score pop-up at some arbitrary point while leaving the area.

Human Revolution felt like it allowed you to solve things a bit more freely while you were still inside somewhat linear missions, and Mankind Divided goes open world but then limits player freedom in weird ways with things like a mandatory choice where you can only solve one of two areas during a mission because the game pretends like there's suddenly "time" constraints on you in that one particular mission. You can still goof around in the city all you want but as soon as you hit specific points on the map the other possible mission area is suddenly locked away with a voice line about how you are too late to go there or something.

It's just bad design in terms of player agency when the devs keep taking it away arbitrarily.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Bofast posted:

In my opinion Human Revolution was great apart from the unavoidable boss fights being rather annoying to do non-lethal.

Didn't they fix that in the Director's Cut?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wouldn't call it a "fix". The boss battles still start the same, the area is just expanded. The cutscenes are the same, and so are the fights. If you played stealth, you're still getting hosed over except you get some turrets to hack and whatnot.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'm craving an open world game. Any suggestions? I enjoyed all the fallout games, but played RDR2 and kinda bounced off.

Have you played Sleeping Dogs. It's sold for €3 right now and is imho one of the best open world games ever. The fictional rendition of Hong Kong is incredibly atmospheric, big enough to give some scale, yet small enough that you end up exploring most of it as the game runs its course. Then while the game falls short in mini-games compared to, say, Yakuza, it more than makes up for it with cool martial arts combat (with melee and guns too, but they're more occasional accessories), a solid undercover cop storyline, some amusing side quests, plenty of bikes/cars and races, and some hilarious DLC including a Bruce Lee movie spoof and a gloriously broken car.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sexual Aluminum posted:

For a recommendation, play Spiritfarer if you want the feels. First game to make me cry in a long while. Its an exploration game where you play as the new Charon. There is also lots of minigames where you craft stuff for your boat, or collect resources, or tetris your boat buildings into a nice order.

I would second Sleeping Dogs as an easy pick-up and play. Failing that, Shadow of War but you should probably watch a recap of the first game. Witcher 3 is one of the best but I'm going to be a party pooper and tell you not to play it unless you want to do the full trilogy. I'm also having lots of fun with AC Odyssey but it's hard to maintain 60 fps so if you are a crazy person like me, that's annoying.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Thirding Sleeping Dogs. It's one of those games that's good enough that it should have spawned clones. It's distinct from GTA-likes in that it's less "go anywhere", but it creates an extremely intense sense of being there. It's also heavily focused on melee combat and it's very well done.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sleeping Dogs is fantastic and everyone should play it. GTA but martial arts instead of guns works extremely well.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Also, I'm going to shill for a game that's not quite amazing but it IS good and it seldom goes on sale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqe6wochMQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGKY9W5V8g

https://store.steampowered.com/app/601050/Attack_on_Titan_2__AOT2/

Attack On Titan 2 is what happens when you combine Spiderman web-swinging with Dynasty Warriors. Except you fight fifty gigantic, hosed up humanoids instead of 1500 Chinese soldiers.

This time around you get to create your own character and you play through the anime storyline as a member of the 104th Cadet Corp. For anyone that's not a weeb that means you can go through the plot or one of the multiple, "free play" modes each with its own objectives and playable characters, you can get materials and develop new equipment, you can learn new skills, you can befriend your fellow cadets and direct them in combat and there's also a multiplayer mode for CO-OP play.

It's a repetitive game but it's also pretty fun and there's a fair bit of skill involved with swinging and managing your angles of approach to attack. It's been available for four years now and has been on sale twice so if you are remotely interested, I would get it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Mad Max is 4.99 euros atm, not sure about $ or £.
I found it a brilliant game, one of the few I happily 100%ed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm finally getting into Battletech and I just want to know if it's normal to be out of commission for two months after a battle, or if I'm playing this very very poorly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sleeping Dogs is another in a long line of games that I get about 5 hrs into, once or twice a year

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I actually really like all 3 tomb raider games and have beaten them already. Much prefer them over the Uncharted series.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sexual Aluminum posted:

happyhippy posted:

Mad Max is 4.99 euros atm, not sure about $ or £.
I found it a brilliant game, one of the few I happily 100%ed.

Since you mentioned the Fallout games (which would include Fo3 and Fo4), I'm gonna go out on a limb and recommend something that got some flack (rightfully) at release, but for ~$10 might do the job: Rage 2.

I say that because I played both Mad Max and Rage 2 extensively, and feel like they both scratched a certain simplistic itch. Neither is burdened with a lot of exposition, and while they both have various collect/craft systems in place, they're not exhaustive in their implementations. They're mostly about roaming the wastes, beating the poo poo out of dudes/monsters and getting increasingly more powerful.

With that in mind, I will warn that Rage 2 has an awful opening, since you start off as "generic soldier with pistol." However, as you get a bit into the game, you start collecting a surprising variety of skills, powers, and weapons that make the combat surprisingly visceral and varied. Cloaking and sprinting at 40 MPH, lifting dudes up with your MIND POWERS and crushing their heads like grapes, tagging bandits up with gravity-breaking darts and splattering them into each other with the alt-fire...or simply tossing a black hole at them. It really is a fun game...it just sucks that they bury the lede with an opening segment that fails to communicate how rad you can get if you stick with it a little bit.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Horizon zero dawn is a great open world game.

Wordicuffs
Jun 14, 2011

Mescal posted:

How’s do I emulate on chrome cast? All the instructions I find say “install these programs” which... well the google home app doesn’t seem to give me full control of the device, no App Store there to find? Is it supposed to go through retro arch on the phone or pc? I’m sure it’s not. I have a thumb drive w rom connected to the usb hub the cast is powered through... that’s one thing they said I needed.

The 4k chromecast with the remote has an app store. You might need one of those. It's the white one.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I rarely like the "open world" games in the GTA model (third person fixed character with mild free roaming between linear missions with few choices) but Horizon Zero Dawn really clicked with me. Great story/writing and the gameplay stayed sufficiently interesting to get me through the end. I actually can't think of a single other GTA-like that I've actually completed except the first Red Dead.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Wiltsghost posted:

I actually really like all 3 tomb raider games and have beaten them already. Much prefer them over the Uncharted series.

The worst thing about the new Tomb Raider games is... in early Tomb Raider games, if you saw an angle you could climb, you could climb that angle anywhere in the game. In modern Tomb Raider games, you have to either look for bird poo poo that for some reason is the go-to for telling you where you can climb. But if it isn't covered in bird poo poo, sometimes it's still climbable... and so maybe early on, you see one place that looks climbable, maybe it is, but the next five times you see an identical looking climbing spot Lara isn't going to grab the ledge and she's just going to fall to her death.

This was something that was a real problem in Uncharted 1 but had been solved by Uncharted 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That wasn't really ever solved, every Uncharted game is full of those 50/50 "will Nate drop harmlessly or fall 100 feet to his death" jumps.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have to admit I really liked Tomb Raider 2013, particularly once it settles on a tone, which is Die Hard on an Island. Rise, I am deeply conflicted about. On the one hand it actually plays really well, but the story just isn't good. This is some due to a combination of going all in on "MY DAAAAAAD" as a characterization for Laura, and Trinity, the villains in this game and the next, being the greatest tag team of cartoonishly evil and hilariously incompentent since the Abstergo Corp-Umbrella Corp joint company picnic.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

That wasn't really ever solved, every Uncharted game is full of those 50/50 "will Nate drop harmlessly or fall 100 feet to his death" jumps.
Doesn't nate only reach out if the place you're aiming at is an actual "can grab it" ledge?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
*crracckk* ha ha thats your neck!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

credburn posted:

The worst thing about the new Tomb Raider games is... in early Tomb Raider games, if you saw an angle you could climb, you could climb that angle anywhere in the game. In modern Tomb Raider games, you have to either look for bird poo poo that for some reason is the go-to for telling you where you can climb. But if it isn't covered in bird poo poo, sometimes it's still climbable... and so maybe early on, you see one place that looks climbable, maybe it is, but the next five times you see an identical looking climbing spot Lara isn't going to grab the ledge and she's just going to fall to her death.

This was something that was a real problem in Uncharted 1 but had been solved by Uncharted 2.

They have a lot of grisly death scenes though for Lara, to compensate.
I only played the first of nu-Tomb Raider, and that was when it came out, but I remember being really impressed on some of the level/world design.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the best part of the Tomb Raiders are the couple times you get into some thought-forever-lost ancient temple through an underwater space the size of a fly's butthole only to discover that Trinity has an entire dig site going on the other side

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Hey how did Severed Steel turn out? Remember a couple of people talking about it but it kinda fell off pretty quick

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Karma Tornado posted:

the best part of the Tomb Raiders are the couple times you get into some thought-forever-lost ancient temple through an underwater space the size of a fly's butthole only to discover that Trinity has an entire dig site going on the other side

well Trinity has dynamite and is willing to use it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i hate how difficult steam makes it to sell cards

i have pages and pages of this useless five-cent junk

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oxxidation posted:

the first tomb raider reboot was merely mediocre but rise was one of the most rancid, joyless, derivative games i played in recent memory

i kept at it mainly to flex my then-new PC and it still felt like a waste because 90% of the environments were either featureless snow or featureless mud

two bad takes imo

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

ymgve posted:

well Trinity has dynamite and is willing to use it

yeah and then Lara inevitably blows the rest of the place up after taking an ice ax through a couple walls because there might be a big glyph she can learn one fifth of ancient Sumerian from behind them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

uuuggggh part of my brain really wants to buy Dragon Marked For Death but the other part of my brain says that $22 is still too much for a game that is almost certainly bad