Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

MikeCrotch posted:

The other big element was that BR more than most railways didn't anticipate road haulage taking a lot of the short freight routes, and so were still building tiny freight locos like the Class 17s which were supposed to replaced steam tank engines like for like and we're effectively obsolete by the time they were built.

It lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSDwSTzeZJY

The sole remaining Class 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm surprised (but maybe I shouldn't be) that these chucklefucks had a presence on the ground. I can only speculate the reason these dudes picked railways to connect a bunch of tiny villages is because they assumed that was the most ecologically friendly option?

At the risk of starting a jihad with the aviation thread, I'd say the cheapest and most environmentally friendly way to link these communities is via air. Especially if you could get airships to do it. Lockmart's new heavy lifter is all developed and ready!

Most of those villages already have airstrips. We have a few flown-in mines already; they usually build an ice road to the nearest river and barge the big stuff in and out come summer.

Alaska has also sent people to trade shows specifically to discuss LockMart’s vaporware airship. I want to know how they expect that thing to fly in the not-uncommon 100mph winds a lot of that territory is known for.

Also our governor and congressional delegation do not give two shits about the environment in any capacity.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Advent Horizon posted:

Most of those villages already have airstrips. We have a few flown-in mines already; they usually build an ice road to the nearest river and barge the big stuff in and out come summer.

Alaska has also sent people to trade shows specifically to discuss LockMart’s vaporware airship. I want to know how they expect that thing to fly in the not-uncommon 100mph winds a lot of that territory is known for.

Also our governor and congressional delegation do not give two shits about the environment in any capacity.

Are you talking of an actual helium blimp? Or this flatbed plane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-DM2eJIS9k

Because yeah, high winds is bad news for an airship/blimp. And I imagine flying at 400mph doesn't do any favors to the cargo on that plane.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Actual blimps. I paid the invoices for the people going to the trade show. It looked like a grift to me, but politicians gonna politic.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/content/news/Anchorage-company-brings-helium-filled-airship-to-Alaska-391817821.html

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JuffoWup posted:

Are you talking of an actual helium blimp? Or this flatbed plane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-DM2eJIS9k

Because yeah, high winds is bad news for an airship/blimp. And I imagine flying at 400mph doesn't do any favors to the cargo on that plane.

So did these designers just forget that drag and air resistance are things?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Reminder that there are only 26 blimps in total around the world right now

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

I didn't know Goodyear had 11.5% of the global airship fleet.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MikeCrotch posted:

How many dirigibles?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

~Coxy posted:

How many dirigibles?

7, which includes the Goodyear fleet of 3, and I do not believe those are counted among the world's 26 blimps. They aren't even generic dirigibles, but actual name-brand Zeppelins made by the successor company to Luftshiffbau Zeppelin GmbH.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Advent Horizon posted:

Actual blimps. I paid the invoices for the people going to the trade show. It looked like a grift to me, but politicians gonna politic.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/content/news/Anchorage-company-brings-helium-filled-airship-to-Alaska-391817821.html

OK, first of all, it's not a blimp, it's an airship. It has an internal structure. Second, the whole "what about wind" argument was relevant to 1930s airships, but not modern ones. It's a bit like [scans mind for train analogy] like saying the TGV train could never work because it is physically impossible to shovel coal fast enough. The Lockmart model has the capacity of a C-130, gets 20% of its lift dynamically, and uses reversible hovercraft thingies to take off and land from unprepared fields, or alternately, suction cup themselves to the ground. It's also been certified by the FAA. I'd tell you more, but I couldn't find its entry on LockMart's web site

And I must concede: there are a lot of companies that appear to be using airships as some sort of grift

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's a bit like [scans mind for train analogy] like saying the TGV train could never work because it is physically impossible to shovel coal fast enough.

The Germans solved this problem by moving the coal shoveler into a power station

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
The Russians used a pencil

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Apologies for the FB link, but here's another shot of the train taking out the airplane:

https://www.facebook.com/1212799804/videos/4508919622568887/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Stumbled across an interesting video on youtube. A class 66 and the dutchess of sutherland racing through the wellingborough station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIEGi9p9BLo

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
What's up with ppl seemingly derailing trains to rob them now

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If it's the stuff in LA you're referencing, no the trains aren't derailed, they're stopped while waiting for clearance into the intermodal yard. I'm not sure if the intermodal trains are approaching two miles long as the manifest freights in the US have, but the containers and trailers are just sitting ducks for anybody with gloves and a bolt cutter who wants to walk over and open em up.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

NoWake posted:

If it's the stuff in LA you're referencing, no the trains aren't derailed, they're stopped while waiting for clearance into the intermodal yard. I'm not sure if the intermodal trains are approaching two miles long as the manifest freights in the US have, but the containers and trailers are just sitting ducks for anybody with gloves and a bolt cutter who wants to walk over and open em up.

Yes that is happening but now there is also a derailment.

https://twitter.com/PicazoKatherine/status/1482518298193395713

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I bet they derailed on detritus rather than on purpose.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkMMs_1UL5Y

German/deutsche bahn safety movie about the 15kV overhead power line, from the time when steam locomotives were still very common. Includes various 'Oh no, but what's he doing! He knows he shouldn't do that *ZAP!*... Oh dear, if only he would've followed procedure' scenes.

The automatically translated subtitles are doable, for those who don't speak german. The language is really nice and poetic though!

"Fifteen thousand volts. No one can see them sitting inside the power line, but they're constantly at ready, to power heavy locomotives with their tremendous loads and make them move. They're not only ready to move the locomotives, though. They're also constantly willing to reach ground. Only two things prevent them from doing that. The insulators, and the great distance between the catenary and the ground'.

Sigh, it doesn't really translate well... Oh well. Watch it. Learn german. Slight NMS warning for some photos of electric burns when the doctor scene happens, and he starts pulling them out.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 21, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sooo i just found out that in 2005 a bunch of train geeks arranged a vintage train trip through north korea. I didn't even know they did those.

The steam locomotives look incredibly rickety.
Here's an hour's worth of tram and train footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfb7ap7kXdY

The maker of the sign probably has never seen a steam locomotive in his life:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://twitter.com/Metra/status/1485666351024951307

Epic track heaters. We have gas heaters on switch points here too, but without visible flames.

Connie4800
Oct 14, 2019
the Modernization Plan absolutely sucked Dog Shite because instead of using brand-new steam engines like the rest of Europe who didn't go full-in on electrification the British scrapped them for unreliable faildiesels like the various Type 1s; in effect, it was railroad nationalization done by people who absolutely hate trains. loving both Germanies were using neubauloks and rekoloks until the 1970s; the Standards coulda lasted at least that long.

Also, trainspotting trips to the DPRK are actually fairly common; although most steamers aren't around, their railroads are hardly as bad as people make out - especially for a place that's been embargoed the past half-century.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Connie4800 posted:

the Modernization Plan absolutely sucked Dog Shite because instead of using brand-new steam engines like the rest of Europe who didn't go full-in on electrification the British scrapped them for unreliable faildiesels like the various Type 1s; in effect, it was railroad nationalization done by people who absolutely hate trains. loving both Germanies were using neubauloks and rekoloks until the 1970s; the Standards coulda lasted at least that long.

Also, trainspotting trips to the DPRK are actually fairly common; although most steamers aren't around, their railroads are hardly as bad as people make out - especially for a place that's been embargoed the past half-century.

Like most British post-war industrial gently caress-ups, it was a lack of consistency, with policy directors changing horses in mid-stream in reaction to short-term problems.

Robert Riddles designed the BR Standards to handle the majority of BR's traction needs for the next 30 years (and they were approved and ordered by the BTC as such). They were high-quality, well-engineered locos intended to be easy to maintain over a service life of 30+ years - the same sort of lifespan that much of the Eastern Bloc got out of its 1940s/1950s steam locos. Steam was to be replaced by a rolling programme of electrification for all but the minor routes, with diesel filling these gaps and being used for shunting and for light passenger multiple units and railcars. As well as the Standard locos, BR spent a fortune designing and building the Mk1 coaching stock, again to very high standards, which would go with the new generation of locos. Riddles laid out the economic basis for this at the time - although diesel was cheaper to operate, it was way more expensive to build, and it relied on imported oil. Britain was broke and was in dire need of new rail traction now to replace the ancient locos that were still in widespread service, many of which were from the Victorian era and had been slated for withdrawal before the War made them indispensable. Aside from shunters and the LMS prototypes British railways had no experience of building or operating diesel locomotives, while it had multiple works and manufacturers which could design and build steam locomotives, plus huge domestic reserves of coal to fuel them.

The Standards and the Mk1 coaches began to enter service in 1951. Four years later the Modernisation Plan lays out a slightly different scheme - near-total electrification was still seen as the end goal, but it would happen at a slower pace and in the interim diesel traction would be introduced, with a Pilot Scheme to find out which types and designed worked best. The publication of the Modernisation Plan coincided with BR's finances hitting the skids and the whole entity tipping into running at an operational loss while traffic share nosedived and freight tonnage bled away. There were also ongoing staffing problems since at a time of near-full employment the railway found it hard to attract people to the dirty, physical and long work required by steam. The dieselisation was stepped up (before the first of the Pilot Scheme locos had even entered service) and the build plans for the Standards were scaled back. As BR's financial black hole continued to grow, management essentially bet everything on a rapid large-scale dieselisation plan which would reduce operating costs, ease the manpower crisis and improve the railway's image. Virtually all electrification schemes other than those already underway were halted and thousands of diesel locomotives, many of untried design, from unproven manufacturers and built to specifications rooted in the early 1950s (which was a very different world from the economic and operating requirements of BR in the early '60s) were rushed into service.

Construction of the Standard steam locos was halted in 1960, before construction on many classes had even properly begun - for instance the Standard 4MT 4-6-0 was intended to replace the smaller Western Region 2-cylinder 4-6-0s and a variety of Victorian 4-4-0s on the London Midland Region. But only 80 were built. The 3MT 2-6-0 and the 2MT tanks were similarly supposed to replace older numerous pre-nationalisation (or even pre-grouping) classes but were never built in the intended numbers as they were instead replaced by DMUs and Type 2 diesels. Only ten Standard Class 6 Pacifics were built - less than half the intended number - before their construction was halted in favour of diesels. This left BR with several small classes of 'standard' locomotives confined to very specific areas, and a whole fleet of brand new Standards that were operating alongside older steam locomotives and in many cases would be withdrawn before their predecessors. And these weren't cheaply knocked-out 'Austerity' locos or lightly modernised Big Four designs - they were practically blank sheet, fully-engineered, high-quality, very capable locos. The first Standard to enter service in 1951 was withdrawn in 1966, after only half its intended lifespan. Some Standards didn't even last that long.

The same problem befell the coaching stock. The Mk1s were nearly all fitted with steam carriage heating, because they were intended to work with the Standard steam locos. With the Mk1s entering widespread service, and plenty of pre-nationalisation steam-heated stock still around too, BR required that the new diesels were also fitted with steam heating equipment. The steam generators were, without exception, problematic and on some diesel classes caused more 'failures' of the locomotive than all the other causes combined. Several loco classes which, on paper, had terrible availability/reliability figures, were actually perfectly good locomotives fitted with rubbish steam generators. The steam generators were also bulky and heavy, adding to the problem of many early BR diesels being overweight (the 'Baby Deltics' being a particularly badly-affected example) and the need to cram a carriage heating gear into the engine compartment with all the other stuff often made servicing awkward and in some cases added to poor reliability by introducing heat, steam and oil to the engine compartment or simply making the space too crowded for adequate cooling or forcing other vital bits of equipment to be located in less-than-ideal places.

Then, having acquired a fleet of diesels lumbered with unreliable and awkward steam heating equipment, BR withdrew all its steam locomotives years ahead of the originally intended schedule, leaving them with the slightly ridiculous situation of a railway run entirely by diesel or electric traction still heating carriages by steam. A rolling project to convert the carriage stock to electric heating and fit locos with the necessary gear was implemented, but several key diesel classes couldn't be fitted with ETH gear and on others it led to classes (designed in the 1950s) not already blessed with a surplus of power and performance to match the new timings required in the 1960s and 1970s having a couple of hundred horsepower knocked off what they could use at the rail.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do diesel locomotives generally provide hotel electric power for heating, or do the pax cars use combustion heaters?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

MrYenko posted:

Do diesel locomotives generally provide hotel electric power for heating, or do the pax cars use combustion heaters?

From the locomotive nowadays at least in the UK and US. Dunno about elsewhere, as a whole bunch of systems have been used through history and might still be in use.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Same person, 26 years apart:

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 29, 2022

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Because of the unreliability of locomotive heating boilers Electric Train Heating was introduced where the loco would supply electricity to the heaters in the carriages.

Having the heater in the carriage was a major factor in the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taunton_sleeping_car_fire, although the heater wasn't actually faulty.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Gauge 1 Live Steam Merchant Navy Loco 35028 Clan Line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxPUU87OIEA

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

VideoGameVet posted:

Same person, 26 years apart:

That's a hell of a thing. It's like those British Royal Flying Corps dudes who started their careers fighting Zeppelins and ended their careers planning jet nuclear bombers

Also, paging BalloonFish, paging BalloonFish to the ultimate battleship fite thread

Connie4800
Oct 14, 2019
honestly the usage of HEP vs individual systems differs a lot; the Long Island Rail Road, for example, operated both kinds

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's a hell of a thing. It's like those British Royal Flying Corps dudes who started their careers fighting Zeppelins and ended their careers planning jet nuclear bombers

I've been told this is a picture from China, which explains it a lot too, given their rapid modernization and huge growth of their rail network. I can't find an actual source, though.

edit: This article says he started in 1992, so a 20 year difference max. omg I'm good at math
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202012/28/WS5fe93034a31024ad0ba9ed9b.html

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 31, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

There are videos on youtube of a chinese coal mine in the mid 2010s where they still use steam engines.
The last steam engine made in the Datong factory was made in 1988.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'm not BalloonFish, but this is a pro click and I'm super glad I did. Thank you for linking it, I don't stray outside my bookmarked threads all that often.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Who wants to watch some boxcars decide to take their own route?

Looks like some empties got put between full cars and compacted when they all braked.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

What's this big thing on the footboard of this locomotive called? It looks like it's designed to shield (and provide visiblity for) some poor fucker on the front end. I feel like I've seen them on a few engines but I haven't been able to find anything discussing them.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
It's a shelter for inspectors to ride on the front end while the locomotive was being tested. One page I found reported that a guy named Lewis Schofield was riding up front on that locomotive when a super heater tube burst, killing Schofield.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tex Avery posted:

It's a shelter for inspectors to ride on the front end while the locomotive was being tested. One page I found reported that a guy named Lewis Schofield was riding up front on that locomotive when a super heater tube burst, killing Schofield.
So did it fail the inspection?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If the inspector is dead, there’s no one to sign the inspection report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

MrYenko posted:

If the inspector is dead, there’s no one to sign the inspection report.

One weird trick to get your designs approved. The Ministry of Transport hates it!