Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

Living overseas, I bring it up anytime I drink with Australians. There's a clear line between those that adore the episode and those that are absolutely outraged by it. I've never met one luke warm on it.

This is the very first time where I've heard it suggested in any form that the episode was not met by universal acclaim and delight by literally every Australian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The vast majority like it. The type that don't like it are the type that loving hate everything anyway and are unsurprisingly miserable to drink with.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

The vast majority like it. The type that don't like it are the type that loving hate everything anyway and are unsurprisingly miserable to drink with.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

A lot of Australians say they are self deprecating but when someone else is making the jokes at their expense they get very lovely. Also a lot of it simply went over their heads at the time 'That's not what Australia is like!' failing to understand much of it is a parody of how Australia presented itself to the US and the world in the 80s.

The 30 years of electricity stamp still is loving perfect.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

spaceblancmange posted:

A lot of Australians say they are self deprecating but when someone else is making the jokes at their expense they get very lovely.

A lot of Brits do the same thing, though admittedly it's mostly when it's Americans who are making the jokes.

I forget that "Australia mania" was a thing, though in my defence it was from just before I was born.

Paingod556 posted:

The only legit issue- nobody drinks Fosters, it's a beer for poms.

No way mate, I think even most of us know that Fosters is piss. I hope so at least!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Do Australians address the PM as "mr prime minister" or just "prime minister"?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

These days, it's 'fuckwit'.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Paingod556 posted:

The only legit issue- nobody drinks Fosters, it's a beer for poms.

The funny thing is all my friends who have been to Australia have said that pretty much all Australian beer is just as bad as Fosters, if not worse.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm not a big beer drinker but apparently VB is at least better than it was (not a big accomplishment), and if you're in a city you're likely to have a few craft options at least. Tbf I can see the appeal of something that's tasteless but icy cold if you're in the middle of the desert.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Young Einstein is a cinematic masterpiece and I won’t hear nothing ill of it :colbert:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Tasmanian beer I had was pretty decent from what I remember.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

spaceblancmange posted:

A lot of Australians say they are self deprecating but when someone else is making the jokes at their expense they get very lovely.

i mean it is self deprecation. if a member of a group makes jokes at that groups expense and a member of an outgroup joins in, it gets a different vibe

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

The thing about Australian beer is that it is very regionally based by states. VB is piss, Coopers pale ale all the way mate!

I remember not liking the australian episode as a kid when it came out, but now I think it is the funniest thing ever. Def one of my top ten eps.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I imagine that most Australians who hate the episode are olds now.

Streetcar Named Marge pissed off the Louisiana government.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
The miserable old fucks who hate Halloween, there's a certain strain of thankfully dying out old Australian who hates everything American and fun... probably because they're the ones who still think they're English, actually. That'd explain a lot.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Detective No. 27 posted:

The people I know who hate the episode were in their 30s and 40s so old depending on your definition of old. They would at least have been old enough to remember the episode when it was new, so I can't actually imagine anyone under 30 hating it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know what was always an underrated gag? Whenever something unusual happened to that teenage employee in whatever situation and he yelled out "Uh... Mr. (Managers name)."

https://youtu.be/FeF2QiwyDGM

I know there was a similar moment at a Krusty Burger in one episode.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The simpsons and king of the hill both captured different aspects of the working teenager experience really well

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always look at that episode as one of the earliest, and still most extreme, examples of Jerkass homer. He’s such a bastard in that episode.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Calico Heart posted:

I always look at that episode as one of the earliest, and still most extreme, examples of Jerkass homer. He’s such a bastard in that episode.

That's not Jerkass Homer. That's just regular "lovely husband" Homer. Jerkass Homer is more actively and intentionally cruel, not just seemingly uncaring and selfish

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American Dad wastes a lot of time every episode, but the time wasting is usually pretty funny so it's winning me over.

They could probably do with a funnier intro though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

American Dad wastes a lot of time every episode, but the time wasting is usually pretty funny so it's winning me over.

Is this your first time watching American Dad? You're in for a treat. There's definitely a point where they realize they can do whatever they want and the writers are never afraid to get weird with it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is this your first time watching American Dad? You're in for a treat. There's definitely a point where they realize they can do whatever they want and the writers are never afraid to get weird with it.

First time with the latter half of the series.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My favorite AD bit remains the one that begins with Franny and Roger going to a dance competition and ends with her throwing Roger off a cliff while he's wearing his dead wife's hair.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Detective No. 27 posted:

I WILL NOT DEFAME NEW ORLEANS

e:

Calico Heart posted:

Slightly later (fifth season), allow me to submit "Homer Goes to College".

My heart still aches for that poor dean. Homer thinking everything was playing out according to a 70s comedy script was a good gag, but drat it was cruel.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 31, 2021

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Slightly later (fifth season), allow me to submit "Homer Goes to College".

My heart still aches for that poor dean. Homer thinking everything was playing out according to a 70s comedy script was a good gag, but drat it was cruel.

I've been called a stupid head myself and it never stops hurting

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's not Jerkass Homer. That's just regular "lovely husband" Homer. Jerkass Homer is more actively and intentionally cruel, not just seemingly uncaring and selfish

It’s admittedly been a while, but in addition to not caring about Marge I think he does actively berate her new passion and discourage her from doing something that makes her happy. If I recall in the last five seconds of the episode he says “you were good” and she forgives him which is for my money a very early example of unearned forgiveness.

But whatever! They were writing 22 episodes a season and it can be hard to tell how something will translate from script to screen

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Calico Heart posted:

It’s admittedly been a while, but in addition to not caring about Marge I think he does actively berate her new passion and discourage her from doing something that makes her happy. If I recall in the last five seconds of the episode he says “you were good” and she forgives him which is for my money a very early example of unearned forgiveness.

But whatever! They were writing 22 episodes a season and it can be hard to tell how something will translate from script to screen

I think the distinction for me is that the characters are intentionally mirroring characters in the play in that episode in a way that is logically consistent and helps drive the plot.

Compared to later episodes where Homer is verbally and physically abusive, seemingly invulnerable, and has the mentality and risk evaluation capabilities of a toddler, with no larger purpose beyond "cartoon man is wacky"

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 31, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The episode where Homer's redemption feels the most unearned is the one where he teaches the marriage class and keeps spilling intimate details of his and Marge's relationship against her wishes. That one ends with them saying Homer needs Marge because he will probably be dead within 48 hours of being separated from Marge and Marge needs Homer because it's 20 minutes in a 22 minute episode and they need to get back to the status quo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

The episode where Homer's redemption feels the most unearned is the one where he teaches the marriage class and keeps spilling intimate details of his and Marge's relationship against her wishes. That one ends with them saying Homer needs Marge because he will probably be dead within 48 hours of being separated from Marge and Marge needs Homer because it's 20 minutes in a 22 minute episode and they need to get back to the status quo.

That episode at least understands how hosed up his argument is.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Seasons 5 & 6 are definitely a bit wackier and nastier on average than the seasons either side of it, although crucially still very funny, but Jerkass Homer largely fades into the background again in season 7 & 8. It's a funny one because the Mirkin seasons really feel like a prelude to the bad years but after that we had another two years of relatively wholesome and reigned in slice of life Simpsons with Oakley & Weinstein before the jerkass was truly unleashed in season 9

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

That episode at least understands how hosed up his argument is.

Yeah it was a very intentionally salient twist on the redemption trope which in today's lens has become too close to the reality of common toxic behaviors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a new Simpsons Histories video about Sideshow Mel and there's a gross moment where he talks about how there's a thing in a later episode where Mel has a sex robot that he made from an animatronic fox.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

muscles like this! posted:

There's a new Simpsons Histories video about Sideshow Mel and there's a gross moment where he talks about how there's a thing in a later episode where Mel has a sex robot that he made from an animatronic fox.

What the gently caress :stonk:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Is it really wasting time if they're being funny while they're doing it?

Das Boo posted:

My favorite AD bit remains the one that begins with Franny and Roger going to a dance competition and ends with her throwing Roger off a cliff while he's wearing his dead wife's hair.

Mine will probably forever be the one where the frat boys ride Roger's limo without paying and Roger ends up mowing them down one by one in increasingly bizarre ways.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know what was always an underrated gag? Whenever something unusual happened to that teenage employee in whatever situation and he yelled out "Uh... Mr. (Managers name)."

https://youtu.be/FeF2QiwyDGM

I know there was a similar moment at a Krusty Burger in one episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AJ2IPcOg_I

I've always been partial to this one (1m25s, since I can't ever remember how to timestamp on the forums):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGcrDroQglE

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
wrt Tamzarian, it's a real last name. I think someone already posted the real-world Armen Tamzarian, who's a judge in LA.

any name that ends in -arian/-aroyan is almost certainly Armenian, or so I have been told by people who are Armenian

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

lol that owns

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sideshow mel the five nights at freddies fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

YeahTubaMike posted:

Mine will probably forever be the one where the frat boys ride Roger's limo without paying and Roger ends up mowing them down one by one in increasingly bizarre ways.

Both of these are top tier Roger moments. Also, this:

https://i.imgur.com/6cOd1Hb.mp4