Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eon, otoh owned super hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Wtf I remember reading Rendezvous With Rama and it’s the most boring and pointless bit of sci-fi I’ve ever read.

Same. Peter Watts did the whole small crew of humans reaches an alien artifact they can't comprehend much better in Blindsight. Its also free on the author's website:

https://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I literally just finished rereading Rendezvous with Rama and I think it could make a great film. Villeneuve seems like a fine choice since the star of the movie would be the grand vistas of Rama itself.

Morgan Freeman has been trying to get this movie made for decades and the biggest issue seems to be getting the right script.

The heart of the story is exploring the mysteries of Rama, coming away with more questions than answers (Clarke wisely didn’t provide much there), and maybe some grander questions about how we confront the unknown (given Mercury’s actions).

I think it could be adapted into a compelling movie, but a lot of stuff needs to be cut or replaced. Clarke didn’t write this for the characters and it shows - the characters are pretty one-dimensional competent astronauts and there’s random weird stuff like the polygamy and out-of-place horny parts that can be dropped without issue. There are also some specially trained space monkeys that get introduced and… literally never do anything? I guess Clarke just thought up the concept and thought it was cool enough to include Just Because.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like that they're like "dammit, I wish we had a flying bicycle" and then the one guy reveals he snuck his flying bicycle into space with him.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Rama works as a scifi novel because nothing is explained at the end of the thing w/r/t the actual aliens and their ship. As it would most likely be in real life, hence the ~hard scifi~ of it

Not really material to make a film about though. Especially in comparison to DUNC’s simple boy-becomes-prophetized-savior heroes journey that made the first book so popular.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Presumably Villeneuve thinks that the script has been solved if he agreed to direct (or is his team writing it too?). I would be pretty lenient of fairly major changes to the story as long as we get some cool shots of Rama itself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"We need a director for this project where nothing really happens and there's no resolution."

"I know just the man."

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

jeeves posted:

Rama works as a scifi novel because nothing is explained at the end of the thing w/r/t the actual aliens and their ship. As it would most likely be in real life, hence the ~hard scifi~ of it

Not really material to make a film about though. Especially in comparison to DUNC’s simple boy-becomes-prophetized-savior heroes journey that made the first book so popular.

They could always go with the sequel novel ending and have the astronauts be abducted by eagleman and jacked off by robots.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

jeeves posted:

This is a somewhat revisionist reading of the first book, because it's made very clear that even before the end, Paul already realizes that he can't control the Fremen because his myth is larger than himself, as that's the reason he drinks the water of life to begin with - because he wants to try and wrest back control.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This is a somewhat revisionist reading of the first book, because it's made very clear that even before the end, Paul already realizes that he can't control the Fremen because his myth is larger than himself, as that's the reason he drinks the water of life to begin with - because he wants to try and wrest back control.

It's a good concept, but I feel like the book's broad popularity is at least in part because it only pays lip service to the idea, and what actually happens (in the first book) is that Paul becomes the ultimate badass and achieves perfect victory/revenge in all the ways that matter. He's constantly fretting over the grimdark future, yes, but that's all very much told, not shown.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

david_a posted:

Morgan Freeman has been trying to get this movie made for decades and the biggest issue seems to be getting the right script.

sorry, do you mean that Morgan Freeman?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Oh I guess it would make sense if he is actually a space sci-fi nerd. He's in a bunch of astronomy docs

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I actually kind of hope part 2 is about Chani the way part 1 is about Paul.

Villneuve said as much. Said the entire thing will be from her perspective.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

kalel posted:

sorry, do you mean that Morgan Freeman?

Yes. He wanted to play the commander but that ship sailed a while back. He’s a producer for this one (assuming it actually gets made).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Villneuve said as much. Said the entire thing will be from her perspective.

Do you have that quote? I remember it being an interpretation of something he said that wasn't quite right?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I don't usually read the books of films I have seen, but I ordered Dune on the drive home from the theater. Read it late last month, and just reread the last couple hundred pages. I want to ask Villeneuve why he's bothering with a sequel. He already made a movie that covers probably 70% of the good parts of the book.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Baronash posted:

I don't usually read the books of films I have seen, but I ordered Dune on the drive home from the theater. Read it late last month, and just reread the last couple hundred pages. I want to ask Villeneuve why he's bothering with a sequel. He already made a movie that covers probably 70% of the good parts of the book.

Villeneuve has already come out and said the 2nd movie will be 120 minutes of spice orgy followed by a 5 minute final battle.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Villeneuve has already come out and said the 2nd movie will be 1200 minutes of spice orgy followed by a 5 minute final battle.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Hey, look, Chani got naked in the miniseries. So it's only fair...

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
For real though, I paused that scene so many times in 7th grade...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://newlinesmag.com/review/dune-frank-herbert-the-republican-salafist/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Feels like this article is missing a lot of things; that Frank Herbert's politics were a lot more idiosyncratic, that his inspirations for Dune are a lot more specific than just general Islam and Middle Eastern history, and seems to have only seen the movie and maybe read the first book, not looked at the sequels and how they deal with it. At least they do get that Paul is both TE Lawrence and the Prophet Muhammed in his various acts and roles.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like this article is missing a lot of things; that Frank Herbert's politics were a lot more idiosyncratic, that his inspirations for Dune are a lot more specific than just general Islam and Middle Eastern history, and seems to have only seen the movie and maybe read the first book, not looked at the sequels and how they deal with it. At least they do get that Paul is both TE Lawrence and the Prophet Muhammed in his various acts and roles.

it addresses all those things

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do people really puzzle over Herbert's conservatism? Or not understand the conservative party is entirely different beast than it was before Goldwater dragged the party far to the right of where it was?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do people really puzzle over Herbert's conservatism? Or not understand the conservative party is entirely different beast than it was before Goldwater dragged the party far to the right of where it was?

There are large chunks of the electorate who don’t know what the Southern Strategy was and think Republicanism has an unbroken line going back to before Lincoln.

So, yes.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I've been looking forward to this for a little while, but man I was incredibly disappointed. I'm kinda glad I watched it for the visuals alone, but I bounced off pretty much everything else. Dialogue was clunky, it felt simultaneously slow and rushed, the hand to hand combat was terrible, characters were paper thin, nothing seemed to work for me.

The whole movie felt like it was a prelude to an actual movie, like it all felt like a montage if that makes sense?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Hi, thread joiner here. I only read the first book and saw the new movie. I really enjoyed the conversation from a few dozen pages back about the motivations behind the fief transfer.

One thing that got mentioned was what the deal is with the 10,000 year unchanging religion and world system, with the no computers thing. My thought was that I enjoyed it as a reader, as an awe inspiring and dominating scaling of the surrounding world, that our action is placed in. Kind of a temporal version of the spatial scaling of the tiny people on the huge ramp of the imperial emissary ship. Or, how in LOTR Elrond was himself in this historical battle 3000 years ago, and Gandalf is however many tens of thousands of years old. The scale of the setting, makes the world itself be a kind of a character. You stand at the edge of the Grand Canyon, and you get dizzied by the scale.

Like...It's something that Star Wars doesn't have. The "galaxy" is just a collection of the few locations we see things happen at, and references to a few more. But in Dune, even though we see action in far fewer locations, I feel like we're in this mind-bogglingly big (in both space and time) system. And the unchanging history gives that a firmer grounding.

E: also nobody ever said "the spice must flow," is this one of those famous false quote things?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 2, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The spice must flow is from the david lynch adaptation. Say what you will about that film but it's a durable catchphrase

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

The spice must flow is from the david lynch adaptation. Say what you will about that film but it's a durable catchphrase

The Litany Against Fear also.

ed: vvv My mistake.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 2, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Litany Against Fear also.
The Litany Against Fear is in the books - it's first use (not the only one) is during the Gom Jabbar scene in the first book.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's another litany that was made up for the Lynch version that mentats say, about drinking the red juice

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That litany always reminds me more of the Westwood game, even if that post-dates the movie by several years.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HampHamp posted:

The whole movie felt like it was a prelude to an actual movie, like it all felt like a montage if that makes sense?

Parts of the movie did feel like a trailer for the next part.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That litany always reminds me more of the Westwood game, even if that post-dates the movie by several years.

To be fair, Dune 2000 is heavily influenced by the Lynch version (though thankfully they made the ornithopters look more like actual aircraft instead of the boxes of the Lynch version) what with both Atreides and Harkonnen mentats being modeled after their film counterparts, the stillsuits the Fremen wear in cutscenes, the harvesters being direct model copies, plus the imperial palace at the end of the game. poo poo, the tag line on the box "long live the fighters" is what Paul says before they launch their final attack against the emperor.

As the years have gone by I have found myself liking the original Dune 2 and Emperor: Battle for Dune over Dune 2000 because, outside of the Ordos, 2000 just directly copies, or hedges too close to, the Lynch version and the other versions have a more distinct style. There's nothing wrong with imitation but the thing I like about a setting like Dune is that there are so many possibilities and so when you have something like Dune 2000 that is locked into a specific look, and no real explanation given for choosing it, it now feels kind of cheap.

On the other hand, the revised tracks Frank Klepacki did for 2000 are all bangers so it's not all bad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Really is funny how that specific adaptation of Dune ended up basically creating a whole new genre- Dune 2 for those not in the know is basically the original template for the real-time strategy game, with Command and Conquer being one of the heavier borrowings from it. (Just using totally-not-GI Joe and Cobra instead)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really is funny how that specific adaptation of Dune ended up basically creating a whole new genre- Dune 2 for those not in the know is basically the original template for the real-time strategy game, with Command and Conquer being one of the heavier borrowings from it. (Just using totally-not-GI Joe and Cobra instead)

Said Wikipedia,

quote:

After Westwood Studios developed the critically acclaimed Dune II, Computer Gaming World reported in 1993 that the company would not use the Dune license for Westwood's next strategy game "mostly because the programmers are tired of sand".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, Dune II is the RTS that every RTS since has taken inspiration from.

It's also notable because it didn't really invent any of the ideas that are in it; all of them can be found in strategy games that precede it; the two big inspirations for Dune II were Utopia from Don Daglow (and perhaps moreso The Ancient Art of War by Brøderbund Software) and more famously Herzog Zwei by Technosoft, as well as Rescue Raiders by Sir-tech Software, Military Madness by Hudson Soft Company, and Civilization by MicroProse.

Arguably the biggest difference is that the minimum specs for the game are much faster than any of the hardware that all those games had, so they could combine all of the things as well as make the AI much more complex (comparatively, at least - although there's some good retrospective articles, and videos on youtube, that go into how many corners they had to cut even on the C&C games).

Much of the above is from this excellent retrospective which has its own sources listed, and contains a bunch more information on the two first Dune games, so it's definitely worth reading all of it.
EDIT: Heck, read everything that Jimmy Maher has written - all of it is incredibly well-written and well-researched (often better than Wikipedia).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 2, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

vessbot posted:

Said Wikipedia,

There's an Anakin Skywalker joke in there somewhere.

And that's how a lot of video games work, iterative design combined with taking advantage of what new hardware can do. Genre becomes a very funny thing in an interactive medium.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Even Herzog Zwei itself is an order of magnitude sequel step up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKQblBGSfF4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I remember visiting this website in the before times https://web.archive.org/web/20030220143317/http://www.rendezvouswithrama.com/

:lol: theme park rides