Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vier posted:

Not mine, but a trivet just like this.

Sandblaster lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Vier posted:

Looks cool but tough! What stage of removal are you at? Glueing sandpaper to a dowel for a drill might work, or cutting a round block on a bandsaw to match your bottom curve and glueing sandpaper to that (you can also cut a slit into the block and put your paper in that to hold it). The inner curves look pretty annoying. If you're comfortable with power carving a die grinder or dremel with a ball nose for the roundover or sphere burr for the bottom would probably work, kutzall has a few different shapes and coatings for varying finishes. Extreme will take a lot off and take a bit to break in without scratching. I didn't have a fine sphere so I was having issues using these on endgrain to finish recently so ymmv depending on what you're aiming for but heres a pro doing some work with them, but I'm pretty sure he finishes it a bit by hand after anyway :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuW8QPIgopo

https://kutzall.com/collections/burrs

SimonSays posted:

Non-woodworking answer is you need a die grinder.

The easiest Woodworking way to do this would probably just be to wrap sandpaper around a dowel.

Power carving isn't woodworking?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Power carving isn't woodworking?
I think in many people's minds a die grinder is a metalworking tool, though they are extremely useful woodworking tools!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Vier posted:

You probably don't have an old 1/2" chunk of air hose laying around but that or maybe a piece of water hose wrapped with sandpaper would be the way I'd go. Or your dingdang finger. My gut feeling is that a dowel might be too hard a backer.

I should have read on further down.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Sandblaster lmao

It's this.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Non-pro woodworking answer: wrap some sandpaper around the slats and cover it with a rag and just pull it over the slats back and forth for each one a few times

I dunno I'm just spitballin to be honest

Does the woodworking thread need some sanding tool knowledge from the plastic model kits and small paintable miniatures people

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 31, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd be tempted to try "sanding" that with a wire wheel chucked into the hand drill. Dunno if it'd work.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

signalnoise posted:

Non-pro woodworking answer: wrap some sandpaper around the slats and cover it with a rag and just pull it over the slats back and forth for each one a few times

Think it would be good to flip it ever? :D

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Using a power drill to drive a belt of sandpaper that I have crudely constructed out of larger sheets and scotch tape, threaded through all of the slats and running around pulleys to eventually get back to a bobbin that I have rigged up to be spun by the drill by driving a bolt through it and just locking the chuck jaws around the threaded end of the bolt

"sands the whole thing at once"

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've got $75 in Amazon funny money and I'm seeking a qol improvement.

Anyone got a fan favorite gadget or measuring tool?

I'm mostly trying to build tables, cutting boards, and picture frames.

I've got most power tools (besides a band saw).

As soon as I can get this dinner table done and out of the shop, I'm aching to get some hand tool projects going. I've got a pretty poo poo measurement and layout setup. Maybe a nice square would be the ticket... My layout stuff is pretty simple. A tiny engineering square, a 3 inch incra ruler, a cheap Japanese marking knife, and some big box combination square. For anything larger, I've been using a ... drywall square...

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 31, 2021

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Cannon_Fodder posted:

As soon as I can get this dinner table done and out of the shop, I'm aching to get some hand tool projects going. I've got a pretty poo poo measurement and layout setup. Maybe a nice square would be the ticket... My layout stuff is pretty simple. A tiny engineering square, a 3 inch incra ruler, a cheap Japanese marking knife, and some big box combination square. For anything larger, I've been using a ... drywall square...

A really sick marking gauge.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I picked up a really nice, if small, slab of mulberry today from a local arborist/lumberyard company. I'm super pleased with it. But it seems like everyone I've run into at the various wood-related places locally is just constitutionally incapable of wearing a mask. Is this just a known issue?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I'm looking to put some 1/4" wide mortises in some relatively small pieces of walnut (10" x 1 1/2" x 3/4").

I have an appropriate router bit, but my trim router doesn't have a plunge base. I have a larger router with a plunge base, but haven't found a jig or setup that would work on such small pieces.

I'd be willing to try chopping them by hand, but I don't have a mortise chisel, only a set of bench chisels.

I recently acquired a drill press so I guess that might be an option?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You can use bench chisels to chop mortises, just don't go ham levering out the waste.

You could also still use your plunge router, just clamp some wider pieces to either side of the work piece to give it a wider base.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Good layout stuff I like: Starret combo squares (4" and 12"), cutter wheel marking gauges (tite-mark, veritas), a nice marking knife, sliding bevel.

Schwarz does a holiday gift guide every year which may give you some ideas: https://blog.lostartpress.com/category/anarchists-gift-guide/

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

SimonSays posted:

A really sick marking gauge.

ColdPie posted:

Good layout stuff I like: Starret combo squares (4" and 12"), cutter wheel marking gauges (tite-mark, veritas), a nice marking knife, sliding bevel.

Schwarz does a holiday gift guide every year which may give you some ideas: https://blog.lostartpress.com/category/anarchists-gift-guide/
I'll start here. Thank you both!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

ok what's everyone's favourite home-made non-disposable workshop jig? And what did you make it from?

The "track-saw" jig made from plywood is easily the most used so far. (Haven't built a cross-cut sled yet, but I can see that taking over as most-used when I do.)

Also made a stair-tread measuring template tool that was super useful when I replaced my stairs.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

revtoiletduck posted:

I'm looking to put some 1/4" wide mortises in some relatively small pieces of walnut (10" x 1 1/2" x 3/4").

I have an appropriate router bit, but my trim router doesn't have a plunge base. I have a larger router with a plunge base, but haven't found a jig or setup that would work on such small pieces.

I'd be willing to try chopping them by hand, but I don't have a mortise chisel, only a set of bench chisels.

I recently acquired a drill press so I guess that might be an option?
I use a block that the router edge guide runs in - super useful for mortises like that, or repeatable stretchers/aprons. You can probably figure out how to make something similar from the pictures (I can send a few more if you want), but something like this would make that safe, repeatable, and easy:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

I picked up a really nice, if small, slab of mulberry today from a local arborist/lumberyard company. I'm super pleased with it. But it seems like everyone I've run into at the various wood-related places locally is just constitutionally incapable of wearing a mask. Is this just a known issue?

Yes, hardware stores seems to have this issue as well unfortunately. Post da wood I've never seen a mulberry slab and I loving love wood and learning about it(I dont get it either).

signalnoise posted:

Using a power drill to drive a belt of sandpaper that I have crudely constructed out of larger sheets and scotch tape, threaded through all of the slats and running around pulleys to eventually get back to a bobbin that I have rigged up to be spun by the drill by driving a bolt through it and just locking the chuck jaws around the threaded end of the bolt

"sands the whole thing at once"

Lmao exactly. But it actually works really well, I build my own reams for drilling out the cork for building fishing rods. I am VERY into the idea of sanding something all at once gently caress I'd save so much time

Dont forget to flip your slats

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 31, 2021

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Discomancer posted:

I use a block that the router edge guide runs in - super useful for mortises like that, or repeatable stretchers/aprons. You can probably figure out how to make something similar from the pictures (I can send a few more if you want), but something like this would make that safe, repeatable, and easy:

Which reminds me, if you're talking about burning money on Amazon myself I'm becoming precariously close to buying a set of those dovetail clamps and bit. Those work as well as they would appear?

Also got one of those Fastcap reversible tape measures in my stocking this year (I wonder how that got there), not only is it really easier to read for me at least but I've already used the built in pencil sharpener.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 31, 2021

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yes, hardware stores seems to have this issue as well unfortunately. Post da wood I've never seen a mulberry slab and I loving love wood and learning about it(I dont get it either).

I went to the local exotic wood shop/festool dealer and it was so bizarre, just a pile of white dudes (including all the employees) who seemingly knew that there was no need to wear a mask. Everything was a billion dollars so I left but it was extremely off putting. They did have some really nice bolivian rosewood that I might have bought if I didn't feel like I'd walked into a proud boy meeting and it wasn't nearly $30 a board foot (on sale, even).

Anyway, this is mulberry:

Sorry the light is so bad, it's extremely overcast here the last few days. The wood has a serious amount of reflective quality if you get close to it and move in more direct light. Is that chatoyancy? I think it is. Anyway it's all over the place and it's really nice.

It's just about five feet long from the widest part of the crotch to the other end, eleven inches wide at the narrow bits, around an inch and three eighths thick. We have mulberry trees all over the city that were planted ages ago but now they're banned by local ordinance for some reason. Probably water conservation issues.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Discomancer posted:

Thanks, I love this setup and in the long-term will probably make it almost exactly as is.

For now, maybe I can make a simplified version without all the adjustable stops and just normal clamps.

I'd be interested to hear how you feel about that Bosch dust collector, too. Dust collection is the bane of my existence and is single-handedly pushing me towards using hand tools whenever possible.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Olothreutes posted:

I went to the local exotic wood shop/festool dealer and it was so bizarre, just a pile of white dudes (including all the employees) who seemingly knew that there was no need to wear a mask. Everything was a billion dollars so I left but it was extremely off putting. They did have some really nice bolivian rosewood that I might have bought if I didn't feel like I'd walked into a proud boy meeting and it wasn't nearly $30 a board foot (on sale, even).

Sorry the light is so bad, it's extremely overcast here the last few days. The wood has a serious amount of reflective quality if you get close to it and move in more direct light. Is that chatoyancy? I think it is. Anyway it's all over the place and it's really nice.

It's just about five feet long from the widest part of the crotch to the other end, eleven inches wide at the narrow bits, around an inch and three eighths thick. We have mulberry trees all over the city that were planted ages ago but now they're banned by local ordinance for some reason. Probably water conservation issues.

What are you planning to do with the mulberry? It's pretty easy for me to get, but I never really had any specific ideas for it so I never bought any.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Olothreutes posted:

I've never used mulberry but I had to copy some old Louisiana creole beds a few years and the originals were mulberry. Really pretty wood with alot of depth and super nice brown color. We couldn't find any 8/4 or heavier mulberry lumber anywhere so we wound up using walnut and it looks very similar except the mulberry was a bit darker and had coarser/more porous growth rings. Looks a lot like osage orange under finish, another beautiful and uncommon domestic wood. I mulberry is quite hard as well.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

Wow what a nice piece of wood thanks for sharing. I love the contrast in it. What's the plan? Lmao at the proud boy meeting too. I read up on why they are banned, possibly pollen?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'd assume it's because once the trees matured the city council realized to their horror that mulberry trees have mulberries

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 31, 2021

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

What are you planning to do with the mulberry? It's pretty easy for me to get, but I never really had any specific ideas for it so I never bought any.

Oddly enough I'm using this to cut a bunch of discs out of it for a few lamps I'm making, and probably picture frames from whatever is left over. It's probably not the best use of a slab like this but I really wanted local wood for it and mulberry was interesting. I have a pair of them in my yard that have enormous trunks, they pretty much have to be 70+ years old at this point. Some part of me is just waiting for them to need to come down so I can turn them into huge slabs for whatever I want.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've never used mulberry but I had to copy some old Louisiana creole beds a few years and the originals were mulberry. Really pretty wood with alot of depth and super nice brown color. We couldn't find any 8/4 or heavier mulberry lumber anywhere so we wound up using walnut and it looks very similar except the mulberry was a bit darker and had coarser/more porous growth rings. Looks a lot like osage orange under finish, another beautiful and uncommon domestic wood. I mulberry is quite hard as well.

Google says the osage orange is part of the mulberry family so I expect they'll be fairly similar. I could probably very easily find 8/4 mulberry around here, or ask for them to mill some if I was willing to wait. Eventually I'll have some, I don't know how long these things live.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'd assume it's because once the trees matured the city council realized to their horror that mulberry trees have mulberries

I looked it up and it's because nearly all of the trees planted here are the fruitless cultivars, probably actually just male trees, and they dump enormous amounts of pollen into the air that can be inhaled deeply into your lungs and is generally awful. I can watch the pollen fall off of mine in the spring if the light is right, just tiny puffs of pollen that pop out of the catkins. As an allergy haver I don't love that about them.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 31, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Olothreutes posted:

I looked it up and it's because nearly all of the trees planted here are the fruitless cultivars, probably actually just male trees, and they dump enormous amounts of pollen into the air that can be inhaled deeply into your lungs and is generally awful. I can watch the pollen fall off of mine in the spring if the light is right, just tiny puffs of pollen that pop out of the catkins. As an allergy haver I don't love that about them.

Didn't know these trees had pronouns. I've got a fruiting one in the backyard and the blackbirds love it. Purple birdshits majesty every spring on the sidewalks, plus they spread volunteers really effectively. I've considered cutting it down for more light in that area. Didn't realize the lumber was that nice either.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vier posted:

blast it with corncobs

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Bob Mundon posted:

Which reminds me, if you're talking about burning money on Amazon myself I'm becoming precariously close to buying a set of those dovetail clamps and bit. Those work as well as they would appear?
They're really useful - you can simplify a lot of things with them (like a taper/straightedge tablesaw jig is just a piece of plywood with a few dovetail slots routed into it, or you can add some to your drill press table, or my favorite: add a dovetail slot to the front side of your workbench and you can clamp anything anywhere in it). They aren't really necessary, but worth getting.

revtoiletduck posted:

I'd be interested to hear how you feel about that Bosch dust collector, too. Dust collection is the bane of my existence and is single-handedly pushing me towards using hand tools whenever possible.
It works well- a lot quieter than the ol' Ridgid it replaced but it still requires hearing protection when running. It has a tool plug-in port with adjustable power so you can sand with it, or just plug whatever corded tools you have into it, but I also have a 2 hp dust collector and a hanging air filter as well, so the vac is only working as a dust extractor, not my main dust collection. I'm not sure how it would compare to another brand, but if you keep an eye on CPO Outlets, they'll have refurb models for around $300 last I checked (that's how I got that one). I would not pay full retail for one of these, there are way cheaper alternatives that would likely work just as well. This is a 9 gallon and as a hobbyist, dedicated woodshop vacuum, the bags last months.

My shop assistant was skeptical of today's prefinish/glueup process, and tried to snag a new chewtoy off the bench, which was denied:

Discomancer fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 31, 2021

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Didn't know these trees had pronouns. I've got a fruiting one in the backyard and the blackbirds love it. Purple birdshits majesty every spring on the sidewalks, plus they spread volunteers really effectively. I've considered cutting it down for more light in that area. Didn't realize the lumber was that nice either.

I've now spent at least half an hour trying to figure out if I have white or red mulberry, complicated by the fact that they apparently hybridize easily. The bark and branches seem to say white, the leaves seem to say red, the fruit... who knows? Mine don't fruit.

Apparently the trees don't necessarily have a consistent sex, the same tree can have both male and female flowers or change from one to the other throughout their lifetime. So really just the flowers have a sex, the tree itself is just a tree. These have only produced male flowers for the past 20+ years though.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

Vier posted:

I don't have a commercial product that seems to exist, but this thing that doesn't seem to have made it to market looks like it might have some ideas you could use to make your own:

https://www.core77.com/posts/109895/The-Sandsall-A-Pair-of-Strange-Power-Tools-for-Sanding-Irregular-Shapes

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have an "ornamental" mullberry in my back yard, there's a bunch in my little 1950s development so I think they were mostly planted back then, along with a fair bit of eastern sycamore (another stupid choice - a riparian non-native when there's california sycamore already here, and also we're not by a stream so these trees never get enough water and always look ragged and struggling, plus they shove their water-seeking roots into sewer lines). These ornamental mulberries never give fruit, are supposed to be pruned annually, and are a non-native species not really providing habitat (I've yet to see a single nest in one).

Our local equipment rental place will rent you a wood chipper/mulcher, but they ask "is it for a mulberry" and if the answer is yes, they'll refuse to rent one to you: apparently these things don't chip right, the green twigs and branches turn into stringy mess that jams up the chippers? I haven't tried it but I assume that's correct.

We haven't gotten around to having ours removed, if we ever do I'll try to salvage the ~5' of straight trunk for lumber.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Is there a reason why it seems to be impossible to find a simple right-angle-plug 250v (15a) extension cord or adapter? It'd be nice if the table saw cord could run straight down the wall rather than sticking out 6". Am I going to need to assemble my own cable using something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Assembly-1...ps%2C121&sr=8-2?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr Executive posted:

Is there a reason why it seems to be impossible to find a simple right-angle-plug 250v (15a) extension cord or adapter? It'd be nice if the table saw cord could run straight down the wall rather than sticking out 6". Am I going to need to assemble my own cable using something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Assembly-1...ps%2C121&sr=8-2?

I definitely have 50A 240v right angle plugs but I did have to make them up myself. I don't think I've seen pre-made 240v extension chords, probably because people need them in alot of different amperages.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I have an "ornamental" mullberry in my back yard, there's a bunch in my little 1950s development so I think they were mostly planted back then, along with a fair bit of eastern sycamore (another stupid choice - a riparian non-native when there's california sycamore already here, and also we're not by a stream so these trees never get enough water and always look ragged and struggling, plus they shove their water-seeking roots into sewer lines). These ornamental mulberries never give fruit, are supposed to be pruned annually, and are a non-native species not really providing habitat (I've yet to see a single nest in one).

Our local equipment rental place will rent you a wood chipper/mulcher, but they ask "is it for a mulberry" and if the answer is yes, they'll refuse to rent one to you: apparently these things don't chip right, the green twigs and branches turn into stringy mess that jams up the chippers? I haven't tried it but I assume that's correct.

We haven't gotten around to having ours removed, if we ever do I'll try to salvage the ~5' of straight trunk for lumber.

Our neighborhood is also from the 50s, and is loaded with mulberry trees. For the sake of curiosity I roughly measured the trunk on the one in my back yard, it's about four feet wide all the way up to seven or eight feet, with a bunch of relatively straight sections above that as well. I think it's a white mulberry, there aren't any native species of it here so it must be invasive.

I can absolutely believe that the green twigs jam up chippers, they are incredibly bendy and the bark/sapwood is super fibrous. You could maybe get away with it in the winter when they hibernate and there isn't sticky, weepy sap all over every cut you make on the tree.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I definitely have 50A 240v right angle plugs but I did have to make them up myself. I don't think I've seen pre-made 240v extension chords, probably because people need them in alot of different amperages.

They exist, if you're having trouble finding them look for RV cords, 30amp and 50amp are typical sizes and in the case of the 50 they're very unwieldy and expensive, couple hundred minimum just for 20 feet. I have a 25' one for my houses generator hookup, needed something I could trust being exposed to the bad weather I'd typically need to use it during.

For shop tools just making your own is the norm since you can just use regular 120v cords and change the ends, simple since you don't need a neutral line.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Made a cheese board from apple wood

Absolutely evil wood. I was given a log of it that I resawed myself a year ago, stuck it in the corner to dry. Turned into a potato chip, tools tons of planing to get flat. I broke out the scrub plane to get the twist out so it could get through the planer. Torn out grain like crazy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Completed my first woodworking project, an EAA workbench. Was fun, learned a lot, and now I have a dedicated space to do MORE things :toot:

Cleaned up and in its permanent resting place.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

NomNomNom posted:

Made a cheese board from apple wood

Absolutely evil wood. I was given a log of it that I resawed myself a year ago, stuck it in the corner to dry. Turned into a potato chip, tools tons of planing to get flat. I broke out the scrub plane to get the twist out so it could get through the planer. Torn out grain like crazy.

100% murder on the tool edges too. It’s just so hard, but it is very pretty when finished. I had some from the apples trees taken out/replaced in my parents yard and it was very fun to use, but so very frustrating.

That looks really nice too and it’ll stay nice for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The worst thing in the world is when you see a beautiful slab of wood (Osage orange, in this case) at the hardwood store and then you think back to all the times you've cut up 20' trunks of that species for weird sex magick bonfires. Like, there were dead pines on the property too and I wouldn't be mourning them