Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
The main problem I have with her is I never heard about her till after I watched Bojack Horseman, and there's a send up of her, Sextina Aquafina, a bottlenose dolphin. I didn't get the reference, and now I just think she's copying the character instead of the reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't think Sextina Aquafina is an Awkwafina parody. She's just a deranged take on modern pop stars.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think Sextina Aquafina is an Awkwafina parody. She's just a deranged take on modern pop stars.

Lol you are right, she's absolutely nothing to do with Awkafina. She's based on a person the creators knew in high school combined with what you said.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Kidz Bop did a version of Hey Ya for the preschool crowd.

"Don't want to meet your momma, just want to make you comma"

The funniest Kidz Bop is when they covered "Born This Way" and cut all the LGBTQ lines.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
https://youtu.be/kkMz62yhEy4 was pretty good too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Also heard the 3rd Cinderella is absolutely nuts and involves time travel in some way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82hjJGDYtS0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It also has great animation flairs, like when Lady Tremaine first casts the spell that reverses time - she holds the wand aloft, nothing happens, then she briefly pulls it down, looks at the tip quizzically (like "What? Didn't it work?"), then suddenly the blast of magic is released with such force it practically pulls her arm off, startling her.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Of the cheap cash-ins, I remember A Snow White Christmas being surprisingly good.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Cinderella 3 rules, the stepmother basically becomes Baby Maleficent and Cinderella has to disguise herself and sneak into the castle to perform a wand heist. The red headed stepsister gets some character development and the prince gets to actually do something besides ask people if they lost their shoe. And it doesn't erase the altered timeline at the end, which is the usual result of these kinds of stories, they just make things work in the altered timeline.

https://youtu.be/whMnZejD9mE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The King's Man (the Kingsman prequel movie) has a really bizarre message/theme. Part way through the movie Ralph Fiennes' character tells his son that he used to be a soldier but he realized that the wars he fought in were pointless and every time he killed a man he killed a piece of his soul. Some stuff happens and the climax of the movie is him deciding that actually, killing is awesome.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The King's Man (the Kingsman prequel movie) has a really bizarre message/theme. Part way through the movie Ralph Fiennes' character tells his son that he used to be a soldier but he realized that the wars he fought in were pointless and every time he killed a man he killed a piece of his soul. Some stuff happens and the climax of the movie is him deciding that actually, killing is awesome.

After the direction the second movie went, that sounds about right.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The whole time I watched the first one i was annoyed it was such a fun movie with such absolutely loving garbage social undertones.

It was rationally irritating.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Zonko_T.M. posted:

the prince gets to actually do something besides ask people if they lost their shoe

He didn't even do that in the original, he did a dance, ran after a girl, picked up a shoe, and then got married.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

muscles like this! posted:

this is the plot of the first one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

e: wtf old post in the chamber??

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Dec 31, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Where the gently caress did Dr. Peter Venkman get 300cc of Thorazine from in a classy Central Park West apartment? Was he carrying it with him?

Do you even measure Thorazine in cc?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Memento posted:

Where the gently caress did Dr. Peter Venkman get 300cc of Thorazine from in a classy Central Park West apartment? Was he carrying it with him?

Do you even measure Thorazine in cc?

According to Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpromazine it can be injected so you could measure it in ccs, but that's 10 loving fluid ounces. It's also not an anestheic but an Antipsychotic.

I remember reading somewhere that Aykroyd mixed up Pete being a psychologist with a psychiatrist (ie can't vs can write scripts)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Popular question on the internet. Yes, it should be by weight not volume: 300 cc is nearing a pint of liquid. 300 mg is a extremely heavy dose, so maybe they meant that instead. Also apparently the novelisation indicates Venkman searches her apartment for Valium or something similar (to answer the ‘where did it come from’ question). He doesn’t have the qualifications to prescribe medication. The general conclusion is that it’s a throwaway line to explain a) she’s very possessed and needs a lot of drugs to make her calm and b) to ‘de threat’ her for a while while the rest of the plot clicks into place.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I didn't think he could, he's got degrees in "psychology and para-psychology". Valium would have made far more sense, considering the time and the affluence level. poo poo, quaaludes might have made more sense.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
In the same movie the cops just give a severely delusional man into the care of a secretary because there’s no room in the closest mental hospital, I’m not sure we need to read the film too deeply.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Torquemada posted:

In the same movie the cops just give a severely delusional man into the care of a secretary because there’s no room in the closest mental hospital

that's Reaganomics baby

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The ectoplasm will trickle down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Memento posted:

that's Reaganomics baby

Thank you Ronald Reagan, your legacy is secured.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Torquemada posted:

The general conclusion is that it’s a throwaway line to explain a) she’s very possessed and needs a lot of drugs to make her calm and b) to ‘de threat’ her for a while while the rest of the plot clicks into place.
Actually it's to show that Venkman is a date rapist as well as a stalker.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Memento posted:

that's Reaganomics baby

Ronald Reagan? The actor? Pah!

It’s only unrealistic because if it had been true to life they would have just shot him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pilchenstein posted:

Actually it's to show that Venkman is a date rapist as well as a stalker.

Yeah, Venkman absolutely has all kinds of dubious af drugs on hand

I mean it might make sense considering that the Ghostbusters can expect to deal with possessed people at some point but still, if it weren't for Bill Murray's charisma he'd be a well regarded monster

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
He started the movie hitting on one of his young students and deliberately electroshocking another. He's 100% a sleazy jerk.

It's just Bill Murray is charming enough that his character doesn't come across as a massive creep.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also he isn't testing her in that test, he's actually testing the guy - the name of the study is "The Effects of stress/Negative Stimuli on paranormal abilities" or something like that. He's deliberately loving with the guy to see how it effects his (actually impressive, he's right every time) ability to read the cards. The girl is mostly there for Venkman to creep on but also another source of stress as he gaslights the guy into thinking he's doing badly and that SHE's beating him when in fact her score doesn't matter at all. The purpose of the girl in the experiment is to enourage thoughts like "Well SHE'S not getting shocked, this is total bullshit..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Venkman is a pretty interesting character in that he has the whole vibe and skillset of a con artist- and in the sequel, he's best off of the lot as a TV show host (and bored to tears by it)- but he's also perfectly able to apply his skills to their genuine ghostbusting business, albeit his 'face of the party' credentials are a bit harmed by him thoroughly loving up dealing with authorities because he can't stop loving with them. (though he does sweet-talk the mayor well, mostly by telling the truth; that he has nothing to lose by giving the Ghostbusters a chance)

The cartoon spinoff has a fun take on this where he invents a plot device of the week that the episode revolves around, which gets destroyed and Egon is "Well, we can just rebuild it from your notes!" And Venkman says "Uh... what notes?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Also he isn't testing her in that test, he's actually testing the guy - the name of the study is "The Effects of stress/Negative Stimuli on paranormal abilities" or something like that. He's deliberately loving with the guy to see how it effects his (actually impressive, he's right every time) ability to read the cards. The girl is mostly there for Venkman to creep on but also another source of stress as he gaslights the guy into thinking he's doing badly and that SHE's beating him when in fact her score doesn't matter at all. The purpose of the girl in the experiment is to enourage thoughts like "Well SHE'S not getting shocked, this is total bullshit..."

You're wrong about almost every substantive point in this post. Although the guy's results do improve with each shock he only gets the last card exactly right. And the girl is not a control or an actor; when Venkman is sleazing on her after the experiment she clearly believes her results were real. (One of her answers also proves that she isn't involved - she says the last card is a figure 8, but Zener cards don't even have that symbol and Venkman saying she's right would have blown the whole thing.)

The joke is that Venkman is actually correct in what he's claiming to be studying - not only does the guy get closer as he receives negative reinforcement, the girl gets further away as she receives false positive reinforcement - but it's entirely by accident as he has no real interest in the results. As the Dean puts it later: it's not science, it's just a hustle.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Dec 31, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jedit posted:

You're wrong about almost every substantive point in this post. Although the guy's results do improve with each shock he only gets the last card exactly right. And the girl is not a control or an actor; when Venkman is sleazing on her after the experiment she clearly believes her results were real. (One of her answers also proves that she isn't involved - she says the last card is a figure 8, but Zener cards don't even have that symbol and Venkman saying she's right would have blown the whole thing.)

The joke is that Venkman is actually correct in what he's claiming to be studying - not only does the guy get closer as he receives negative reinforcement, the girl gets further away as she receives false positive reinforcement - but it's entirely by accident as he has no real interest in the results. As the Dean puts it later: it's not science, it's just a hustle.

Yeah, to be fair I haven't seen it for a long time so I misremembered stuff. I never said though that the girl was in on it - she was unaware, but she was also irrelevant.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Ronald Reagan? The actor? Pah!

It’s only unrealistic because if it had been true to life they would have just shot him.

John Hinckley tried his best

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jedit posted:

Isnt part of being the control not being aware you are the control though? Like she wasnt being put under any additional stress as a baseline to compare with the dude who was?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In pirates of the caribbean, why did johnny depp's "true form" become a rotted skeleton instantly?

I mean, I get it, it's because that's how the other ones looked and they wanted to make the point that he was undead clear, but I don't think it would actually work like that.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
... it's literally a magical curse. why shouldn't it work like that?

what real-world ancient pirate gold curses is this coming off as unrealistic compared to?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Chloe Jessica posted:

... it's literally a magical curse. why shouldn't it work like that?

what real-world ancient pirate gold curses is this coming off as unrealistic compared to?

well I mean if I was designing the curse, I'd want them to gradually see themselves decay into scary skeletons to make them feel worse for stealing my stuff. The instant transformation is just like "ok, that's me now" instead of "oh no why did i steal this gold i am uglier every day"

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
if I was a pirate transformed into a skeleton I would be like "arlas"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What the gently caress was up with that rastafarian giraffe troll in Trolls? All the other Trolls are humanoid then there's this goofy quadruped mutant in there among them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was gonna say "if you have a chance to write rastas into your movie, you take it" but I don't know if that's so much the case any more

But that prompted me to go find out what the hell movie I saw on cable when I was in my early teens that had a pair of rastafarian walking eyeballs in it, turns out that was Freaked by Alex "Bill S Preston, Esq." Winter and I probably gotta watch it again sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

yeah I eat rear end posted:

well I mean if I was designing the curse, I'd want them to gradually see themselves decay into scary skeletons to make them feel worse for stealing my stuff. The instant transformation is just like "ok, that's me now" instead of "oh no why did i steal this gold i am uglier every day"

Wasn't it that he made some deal to not get affected by the curse but that changed and it all caught up to him at once? I haven't seen it since it came out but I vaguely remember he did some Captain Jack Sparrow Shenanigans™ and got out of the curse, and that's why the other pirates were chasing him, to crab-bucket him back into it.