Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm a Xaela supremacist. Scared? I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
So, I missed this entirely in my playthrough, by my wife noticed something in the final two zones. The adventurous ambystoma (the axolotl from Elpis) is in Sharlayan Hamlet in the lower circle of Labyrinthos, but it shows up in Ultima Thule at Base Omicron when you need to scan for the malfunctioning Omicron. You can click on it and you get a little cutscene and everything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The GNB AF looks great out of the box and I'm not a fan of either the tomestone or raid tanking sets so I guess I'm gonna keep rocking this lol

All the AF had a lot of love given to it this time. Usually does, but they went above and beyond.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the deep forbidden knowledge of not immediately mashing need on a piece as it comes up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shapeland is actually the Gold Saucer

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bruceski posted:

All the AF had a lot of love given to it this time. Usually does, but they went above and beyond.

Only thing I'm not crazy about (MCH AF gear) is The white shirt/bright red ascot on the chest piece. The rest of the ensemble has a real gritty feel and I think the fancy Dan aesthetic is already served well enough by the level 80 gear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

na friend we cool as hell

ranking

top tier: aura female, lalafell, viera male
high tier: hrothgar, viera female, miqote male, miqote female, highlander male
mid tier: highlander female, elezen male, aura male, midlander male, midlander female, roe male
low tier: roe female, elezen female

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't like the male catgirl stance because it's on all the glam videos and I just want to see how they'll look on a normal person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I had weird dungeon where the Black Mage was just doing Blizzard 3 -> Paradox -> Fire 3 -> Paradox over and over with some xenoglossy tossed in. Is there any actual reason for this or was it just for fun?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've had this drat song in my head everyday since Endwalker came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcMgKBXxnE0

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

So I had weird dungeon where the Black Mage was just doing Blizzard 3 -> Paradox -> Fire 3 -> Paradox over and over with some xenoglossy tossed in. Is there any actual reason for this or was it just for fun?

Black Mages are typically bad at the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Black Mages are typically bad at the game.

I mean this is true but it wouldn't be the first time there was some crazy rear end optimal/easier Black Mage rotation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah there is some weird cast-less one I've seen memed on that seems effective enough. That one probably doesn't do much of note.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The GNB AF looks great out of the box and I'm not a fan of either the tomestone or raid tanking sets so I guess I'm gonna keep rocking this lol

I wore it as-is for a while but lately I’ve been wearing the coat and gloves, dyed with void blue and dark brown, with the Yorha Type-53 pants (dyed mole brown) and Rebel Boots (dyed dark brown) and it looks good as hell. I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy with how my dude looks. The GNB AF is amazing.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 1, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Endorph posted:

ranking

mid tier: highlander female, elezen male, aura male, midlander male, midlander female, roe male

Been a while since I've disagreed with you this hard. Clearly not a muscle fan

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Barreft posted:

I've had this drat song in my head everyday since Endwalker came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcMgKBXxnE0

The EW soundtrack is insanely good. There were a few tracks in particular I remembered from the promotional material that took a bit while to show up, and they delivered. I'm no music major or anything but it's absolutely amazing to me how Soken can turn one motif into a dozen different songs ranging from chill diner tunes to melancholic retrospections, while still managing to include homages to franchise staples and XIV themes.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Xaela ftw

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
how the gently caress does orcus get my linkshell to call me

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Zeruel posted:

I was asking the same poo poo! Orcus is the mother fucker who subscribes to all those weird "find out about <X> person" websites.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
which expansion was it that buffed crafter experience from quests because I just chained alchemist straight from 60 to 69 with the hw quests (never touched because I leveled it solely by moogles back in the day), namazu, custom deliveries, and the stormblood quests I qualified for

e: considered grinding out the last level in ishgard resoration and seeing how far I could chain with the sb level 70 quest, crystarium, and dwarves, but I couldn't figure out where you get all the skybuilder's ingredients and decided I ddn't care enough when a day with the namazu is a full levelup or more

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A small money-saving tidbit for people at 90: Centurio Seals and Allied Seals can both be converted into Aetheryte Tickets at a rate of 5 seals per. Even if you just do the weekly elite hunts, that'll get you 60 free tickets. If you set your teleport gil threshhold to something reasonable like 1.3-1.4k, that'll save you close to 80-85k gil per week on teleports if you do a lot of hopping around. It adds up!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I love my Roegadyn and always back out of race changing whenever I want to play as something else, but yeah, there's definitely drawbacks to being a dramatically different bodyshape than the one 99% of the items in the game are designed for.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Personally as a Roedude I think everyone looks dumb on me and I love it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeruel posted:

I assume he stole one from the guy he killed.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I hopped around a few times but I'm back to being a big roe dude and it's the best. My favorite moment is still that scene from Stormblood with Asahi where he's trying to threaten you. Except because I'm a giant man and he's a tiny manlet he's practically breaking his neck to look up at me while trying to look menacing. I promptly started calling him an Angry Hamster because no matter how sinister he was trying to be I couldn't take him seriously when he had to look up so hard at me.

As far as fashion goes there's a lot of stuff that looks awkward or stretched out on me but on the flipside a lot of the bulkier stuff like robes tend to look fantastic.

Here's some of my recent glamours:

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Endorph posted:

ranking

I think you misplaced Elezen female, which should be S-tier at the top.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

central dogma posted:

I think you misplaced Elezen female, which should be S-tier at the top.

Indeed. Also I finished my "everything glows" set and sat bored on a glowy chair to showcase it. Even the earrings, turns out EX1 accessories glow.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Xerophyte posted:

If you're targeting a specific piece then it's also a good idea to also wait a short while after you pass on the tokens that you do not want before you need on the tokens that you do want. Letting some other rolls resolve first removes people from the pool of rolls on the stuff you want.

As long as you wait a for non-rear end in a top hat amount of time before needing this is good for everyone involved and keeps loot from rotting because someone who'd be equally happy with an accessory happened to roll high on a competitive chest token and the chest resolved first. If you're a jerk you can wait an rear end in a top hat amount of time after passing in the hope that some other player will blink first, thereby keeping everyone standing in an empty boss arena for several minutes waiting for you. Please don't be a jerk.

That's basically what I do and yet some of my friends tried to argue that it's an rear end in a top hat thing to do to wait at all. For me, I don't wait more than 30 seconds after the boss dies. As soon as we hit a point when everyone has clearly finished casting lots, I roll. I pass on every piece I don't want and then wait until I see everyone else has finished rolling and then finally roll on the one item I'm seeking. By this time, usually 5-6 items have resolved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

That's basically what I do and yet some of my friends tried to argue that it's an rear end in a top hat thing to do to wait at all. For me, I don't wait more than 30 seconds after the boss dies. As soon as we hit a point when everyone has clearly finished casting lots, I roll. I pass on every piece I don't want and then wait until I see everyone else has finished rolling and then finally roll on the one item I'm seeking. By this time, usually 5-6 items have resolved.

It is an rear end in a top hat thing to do because you're usually not the only person waiting to see if everyone else has finished rolling and you're making GBS threads on everyone else in the meantime.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

ImpAtom posted:

It is an rear end in a top hat thing to do because you're usually not the only person waiting to see if everyone else has finished rolling and you're making GBS threads on everyone else in the meantime.

In that case, not waiting is then a losing strategy at obtaining what you want while the person who did wait will likely get what they do. The rear end in a top hat is whoever decided turning the prisoner's dilemma into a loot system was a good idea.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ironslave posted:

In that case, not waiting is then a losing strategy at obtaining what you want while the person who did wait will likely get what they do. The rear end in a top hat is whoever decided turning the prisoner's dilemma into a loot system was a good idea.

I don't actually have an opinion on this but the lesson of the prisoner's dilemma is not "being an rear end in a top hat is a good idea"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Just press Need on the things you want and Pass on the things you don't as fast as you can, if you don't get anything do the fight again it's not like they're hard or boring to do.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Arist posted:

I don't actually have an opinion on this but the lesson of the prisoner's dilemma is not "being an rear end in a top hat is a good idea"

The prisoner's dilemma doesn't have a lesson. It's an illustrative example showing why two people might not cooperate despite it being in their best interests to do so.

I'm not sure why they haven't gotten rid of the specific item drops yet and replaced them with universal tokens. They upped the number from 4 to 8 in Shadowbringers, so it at least seems the intent that people come out of it with something.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Just press Need on the things you want and Pass on the things you don't as fast as you can, if you don't get anything do the fight again it's not like they're hard or boring to do.

It's not the difficulty for most, I'd wager. It's the time invested, since a single fight can go on for 10+ minutes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Lol seriously, this weird gaming the rolls is way too much thought to put into this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And that's why you have to roll Greed every time!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ironslave posted:

It's not the difficulty for most, I'd wager. It's the time invested, since a single fight can go on for 10+ minutes.

For me, it is that just mashing need on the item I want is just strictly inefficient. If everyone only got one "need" roll across all 8 items, I'd mash my need immediately. But people go in with different strategies. I target the items I want. Week 1, I wanted chest tokens, so I passed on everything that isn't chest tokens.

Meanwhile, there are others out there that will just roll need on every item. They're just as happy with an accessory token as they are a chest token. If the chest token resolves first and they win it, then only one of us has won loot. If I hold my roll on the chest token just slightly (I'm not making people wait the full timer, I wait like 30 seconds after loot is revealed, so usually about 10-15 seconds after cutscene watchers get out of the cutscene) then the person who rolled on everything and is still happy with an accessory token gets their accessory token, and I have less (or perhaps no) competition on the chest token.

"Just press Need on the things you want" only works if everyone is approaching the loot drops the same way.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

And that's why you have to roll Greed every time!

Why would you make me remember him

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Every once in a while I consider changing races from femroe (I've been thinking about it pretty recently, actually), but then I realize I'm dropping nearly 1/10th of my height and it really puts me off. Playing an extremely tall character is one of the funniest things about this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ironslave posted:

It isn't a prisoner's dilemma. Just fuckin' roll.

Ironslave posted:

It is possible for literally everyone to get something every single time so it only matters if you're trying to be super-de-duper hyper optimal for gear that is going to be outdated in two weeks anyway and even then which is only relevant if you're doing Savage in the first place.

Edit: And if you're doing Savage then you're probably doing it with your static anyway and can divide up the things without waiting since you've probably planned it out in advance.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't a prisoner's dilemma. Just fuckin' roll.

Calling it the prisoner's dilemma is a joke, but this entire thing does invite game theory bullshit into it for the reasons Mordiceius mentioned. Something it was even worse about prior to Shadowbringers because it only dropped enough tokens for half the raid.