Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

precision posted:

bohemian rhapsody isn't great and it's made by a notorious pedophile sex criminal predator

allegedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

i'm surprised they didn't mention dark city in their review, unless i missed something

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

also anyone remember this movie?? i need to rewatch it sometime again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Xo-6-v0as

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just want to point out the people saying if Lana didn't want to do it she should have just let the studio make it are saying "the people who took suicide squad and tossed it into a wood chipper, the people who made the theatrical cut of justice league, should have been entrusted with a franchise"

Yes, because:

Stink Billyums posted:

somebody already tossed the matrix into a wood chipper 18 years ago

The sequels were already made. They were terrible. The original creators made them, poorly. We've seen the artist's vision and it sucks out loud.

If they're going to keep beating this particular corpse, at least give the stick to someone who wants to take a whack at it.

Slider posted:

I do! It was neat, but not terribly well executed from what I remember.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 1, 2022

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Slider posted:

I remember being like 13 when it came out on vhs and fast-forwarding through the whole thing and not seeing a single boob, yeah

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Slider posted:

I remember it being a decent 90s cyberfilm, which probably puts it in rewatch territory. Also the main detective guy's name is McBain.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

infernal machines posted:

Yes, because:

The sequels were already made. They were terrible. The original creators made them, poorly. We've seen the artist's vision and it sucks out loud.

If they're going to keep beating this particular corpse, at least give the stick to someone who wants to take a whack at it.

Which leads us back to:

Just want to point out the people saying if Lana didn't want to do it she should have just let the studio make it are saying "the people who took suicide squad and tossed it into a wood chipper, the people who made the theatrical cut of justice league, should have been entrusted with a franchise"

I mean, you can just say "god I love Joss Whedon" without being wrong at me.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
if the machines can keep you in a vat from birth, why even make a matrix. just keep them unconscious. hell remove the cerebral cortex. can't rebel if you're a veg. if you must make a matrix, just make it a single room, and make people blind deaf and incapable of language. hard to be "woken up" if you have no means to communicate. hello from the year 2000

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If Josh Whedon is announced to direct Matrix 5 you can quote this and I will apologize.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is "Don't Look Up" any good? I feel like the fact that it makes fun of journalists makes the reviews completely unreliable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s Adam mckay so not a chance

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

Is "Don't Look Up" any good? I feel like the fact that it makes fun of journalists makes the reviews completely unreliable.

I laughed a lot and JLaw and Cate Blanchett whipped rear end.

And you'll definitely get why Hollywood creeps and TV shitdicks are mad at it right away.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

If Josh Whedon is announced to direct Matrix 5 you can quote this and I will apologize.

JJ Abram

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Give it to Roland Emmerich

Hell, wait another 20 years and let Villeneuve have at it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Let Lilly make the next one

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Stop making remakes of movies and keep remaking anime

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s what matrix is””!,

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

I think they're saying it should have been in the hands of a different director, not the studio. As it stands the Animatrix is still the best sequel, and there's interesting stories to be told and themes to explore in that universe without even having to constantly escalate the stakes to stupider levels.

I can sympathize with any auteur that is frustrated by the demands of massive commercial success. Audiences and studios want the next thing to top the last big thing, fans say they want something new but then don't like the new things and go back to wanting the old things. But I've heard plenty of directors, authors, and musicians make the same complaint, often in their own works. Including Lucas. So it's not a particularly profound message to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

https://twitter.com/harlack/status/1477045150065086472?s=21

Everything about this seems terrible. The weird little British kid is disgusting.

He was better playing a little german kid and accidentally blowing up some nazis when he dropped a panzerfaust.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The studio wouldn't make it. They would pick a director to make it. Warner Bros picked David Ayer to make suicide squad just as much as they picked Lana Wachowski to make matrix 4. Sometimes the picks are good, and sometimes they're bad. After seeing what we got, I do wish I would have been able to see what someone else could have done with a large budget and a chance to make something in the series.

Lister fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 1, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It must be frustrating as the Wachowskis having so much pressure and expectations put on you since the matrix. Maybe Lana just wanted to make a fun film with her friends instead of something that had to change the world. “We have to revolutionise action again!” indeed.

Lana just wanted to tell a story. A story about a matrix man... and you slick small-towners took 'em for all they were worth.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lister posted:

The studio wouldn't make it. They would pick a director to make it. Warner Bros picked David Ayer to make suicide squad just as much as they picked Lana Wachowski to make matrix 4. Sometimes the picks are good, and sometimes they're bad. After seeing what we got, I do wish I would have been able to see what someone else could have done with a large budget and a chance to make something in the series.

[obi wan voice]

Incredible. Every word of that was wrong.

And here's what you would have got: the matrix, but way worse. Be an adult and appreciate the art instead of wishing someone slammed your favorite action figures together.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pretty sure both of those movies were already garbage so nothing of any importance was lost

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the only non-wachowski in the WB stable I’d want near Matrix is George Miller

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i've seen that trailer for Roland Emmerich's The Moon Attacks!!! thrice now and i cannot stop myself from laughing, out loud and at great length and with a primal idiot delight

so perfectly stupid

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just LOL if you think somewhere out there is some genius auteur with a passion for the IP who had a grand vision for what Matrix 4 could have been when in reality the studio just wanted to dump something out to maintain the IP just like they did with all of those lovely late 80s/early 90s remakes.

Absolute baby-brain CineD takes in this thread tonight.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

[obi wan voice]

And here's what you would have got: the matrix, but way worse. Be an adult and appreciate the art instead of wishing someone slammed your favorite action figures together.

You can tell it's art because people aren't enjoying it.

Just LOL if you think somewhere out there is some genius auteur with a passion for the IP who had a grand vision for what Matrix 4 could have been when in reality the studio just wanted to dump something out to maintain the IP just like they did with all of those lovely late 80s/early 90s remakes.

I think it literally doesn't matter because it was bad either way. The Wachowskis have made 300% more bad Matrix movies than good ones, if someone else had made a bad one, at worst it would have been par for the course.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 1, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy new year!!!!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
gently caress you, it's january 2022!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eXistenZ was the best of the non-Matrix "is this real" flicks of the time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

eXistenZ was the best of the non-Matrix "is this real" flicks of the time.

uh ever heard of Zack Snyder’s “sucker punch”??

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I mean it's possible another director could have made a good matrix movie.

In the same way, it's possible that the next time you take a poo poo the resulting pile will be a perfect miniature copy of Michelangelo's David.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

You can tell it's art because people aren't enjoying it.

Yes, dumb people do tend to have that reaction.

See: your equals being mad at Scorsese

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The old guy who's perpetually going on about the loss of artistry in film, a thing that has barely existed, ever?

The guy who was mad about the lack of gatekeeping and curation, because he's too old to see the networks where exactly that happens in the modern era?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 1, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mike’s not that old

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

[obi wan voice]

You're being a condescending rear end in a top hat. You can't know what could have been made would have been better or worse.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lister posted:

You're being a condescending rear end in a top hat.

No way, really?

That's weird because you definitely haven't given me a reason to look down on you or belittle your lovely opinions for babies.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shoutout to the new hitb using the tim vs time cash grab line

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
CAN'T WAIT FOR ALL THE NEW 2022 MOVIES. WOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

sweet geek swag posted:

I mean it's possible another director could have made a good matrix movie.

In the same way, it's possible that AGH could make a good post

fixed