Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Kraftwerk posted:

Does the apple watch automatically show text message previews on your wrist for everyone to see?
Only if you raise your wrist or tap it or whatever. If you have AOD on then it just says that a message from whatever contact name until you tap it or raise your wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

It’s heckin sliiiick how it works

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

What are the better deals this BF for a new 6 or 7? My mom wants one.

Staples has the series 6 for $279. Out of stock for the moment but might come back as the sale is supposed to run for a while.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

An annoying thing happened. I was wondering why my alarm didn't go off this morning. Eventually, I realized that my (new) watch allowed me to groggily push my sleep alarm to 10:30 PM instead of 10:30 AM. This is despite my iPhone being set to a 24-hour clock, and despite that time overshooting my desired amount of sleep by 13.5 hours.

I guess they allow the 12/24 hour setting to be mismatched because you may want to configure a watch that isn't yours, but ugh. That could have really hosed me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone know if using a Garmin watch to track runs will contribute to the move ring when the workout is synched to the Connect/Health app?

I know it will do the exercise minutes, but I'm debating switching from tracking my runs on my S6 to a Garmin watch with much better battery life. I ran a marathon on Sunday and ended up a bit under 4 hours, and I had to keep toggling my cellular on and off (had a buddy who met me along the course to swap water bottles, so he needed my location) throughout the race just to make sure it lasted the whole time. It died like 15 mins after I crossed the finish line. No music streaming or anything, just run-tracking.

I hate having to janitor this, so I'm looking to see if anything can last as long as I need it, but also close my precious rings.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 8, 2021

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
In my experience, you don’t get any general movement credit from all your running on the garmin, no.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My wife has had a Garmin for a few months she uses when running. For some reason the Garmin app doesn’t sync directly to Apple health (seems to be a widespread issue from looking online). She does however have the Strava app connected to the Garmin and it will dump all her runs into Health when she finishes.

She said she gets credit for calories, stand and move goal but it won’t add miles specifically.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I’ve been poking around and it seems like a Garmin Connect issue and the “fix” is to not let Connect write to Health, sync to Strava, and let Strava write everything to Health. Which is fine because Connect kinda sucks and my endpoint is Strava anyway.

Weird about the miles not syncing things.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

After looking around, my wife and I are looking at getting our daughters (9 & 11) apple watches (SE).

We thought about getting our 11 year old a phone but she really only needs something to be able to message us or call us.

I saw that if you buy an SE with cellular through apple, you can get a $100 Verizon gift card. I was wondering if those promos work in store or only online. I was also wondering if that would get us 2 gift cards for 2 watches or if it is only 1 and done.

Also, are there specific bands for kids that are recommended?

Edit: We are also using this as a test run for my 11 year old getting a phone. If she can take care of this for a couple of years, then she could be ready for a phone.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 10, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bought mine online for in-store pickup and the promo was emailed to me after purchase. It should be the same if you have them delivered.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wait am I being stupid here, how would this work?

The watch your daughter has is going to get all the alerts from its host phone, and even if you turn all those off you would need to keep messages on and they would have access to all your stuff?

Or is the idea of locking literally everything out of the watch and using a third party messaging platform?

Again I can very easily be acting dense here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The cellular watches have a special pairing mode where it's attached to the parent's phone and can be managed from there. The watch becomes limited in some ways but I've never tried it so am not sure what those limitations might be.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, that was added a couple watchOS's ago and was specifically designed for kids or elderly parents who don't use iPhones.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else’s S3 just really taking a dive of late?

Read texts showing as unread, Focus status syncing, and apps constantly getting booted out of memory have all ticked up where I only rarely encountered it before.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, they just introduced it. We were looking at an phone for the 11 year old but that would be $55 more a month for her being added to our plan.

I then read about family set up which means that we could get them both watches and they would be able to message us. It would only add $20 our monthly bill.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh that's brilliant.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

That is really awesome and I wish it were around when our kid needed a phone. They were going to get home before any adults, so we needed to have something and ended up giving them a used iphone 6 or something. I would have liked a couple more years kid phone free!

For bands for kids I recommend sport loops and also knockoff sport loops. They are comfortable, easy to adjust and easy to replace; at least the knockoff ones. You can get sparkly and colorful ones. Sadly, the Etsy shop I got my last batch of good knockoffs is gone, but I have had good luck with pretty much every one I have bought.

E: This shop has 50K sales and 12k reviews

https://www.etsy.com/listing/731698598/nylon-sport-loop-band-for-apple-watch

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 12, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

After looking around, my wife and I are looking at getting our daughters (9 & 11) apple watches (SE).

We thought about getting our 11 year old a phone but she really only needs something to be able to message us or call us.

I saw that if you buy an SE with cellular through apple, you can get a $100 Verizon gift card. I was wondering if those promos work in store or only online. I was also wondering if that would get us 2 gift cards for 2 watches or if it is only 1 and done.

Also, are there specific bands for kids that are recommended?

Edit: We are also using this as a test run for my 11 year old getting a phone. If she can take care of this for a couple of years, then she could be ready for a phone.

Just saw this, just general fyi , it’s the watches however via apple , then the promo is online or over the phone with Verizon.

It’s $5-10 a month per Watch depending on your plan. The $100 is per watch activated. Setup fee is $35 per.

If you need help activating them , PM me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jose Oquendo posted:

What are the better deals this BF for a new 6 or 7? My mom wants one.

Not Black Friday, but Target has the Series 7 41mm for $349 and the 45mm ones for $379 this week. Amazon has matched some of them. Picking up my first Apple Watch ever and seeing what I've missed.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Just saw this, just general fyi , it’s the watches however via apple , then the promo is online or over the phone with Verizon.

It’s $5-10 a month per Watch depending on your plan. The $100 is per watch activated. Setup fee is $35 per.

If you need help activating them , PM me.

Thanks! My wife was looking and she saw that through Verizon, they have a “Buy one and get the 2nd one for $250 off” which would be a better deal.

1) Do you know when that deal ends?

2) Would your referral link from the 13pro deal work with that as well?

3) The $250 off comes with “adding an additional line”. Activating the watch would count as that additional line, correct?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 12, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks! My wife was looking and she saw that through Verizon, they have a “Buy one and get the 2nd one for $250 off” which would be a better deal.

1) Do you know when that deal ends?

2) Would your referral link from the 13pro deal work with that as well?

3) The $250 off comes with “adding an additional line”. Activating the watch would count as that additional line, correct?

Do you already have a service line for a watch? Both watches have to be lines of service for $5-1 a month each , depending on the plan. If you are ending up with 2 Watch lines, activating her watch as a new line would qualify yes. Discount is over 24 month payment plan.

The referral code from then is probably expired. The codes I send have been glitching in the new system, but I can try to send you one, or just set a follow up time to call and help you order , whichever you prefer. PM for that.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I didn't see anything in the patch notes for either update, but since the 8.3 update on the watch and tvOS 15.2 update the pairing for Fitness+ to the watch seems faster.
Hopefully it takes care of the issue where they would just sit there and try to pair indefinitely.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Been loving my S7. The screen size over my base S3 is a MUCH bigger improvement than I was expecting. I do wish apps would get a bit more powerful. I've been really liking Pikmin Bloom as a fun little pedometer, but man it seems like it'd be the perfect Watch app. doesn't need to do everything, but mid hike swappin' pikmin or stopping\starting flowers would be nice. The things I want to be an extension of the phone so I can leave it in my backpack.

The Hyundai app works, but when you have to have opened the main phone app in the last minute or so it really renders it entirely pointless.

On a less whiny note, I got this watch stand in October and it's great. It's made of a rubbery material, your charging puck slips right in, so no weird third party one to worry about. Its heavy enough that you can take it off without having to weirdly slip the charger off, and it makes using a solo loop a lot nicer looking on the desk.

Only $10. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABLSW5W/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That rubber thing doesn't work as well on small watches or certain bands, the circumference is too big for the watch and it pops off the magnet. Sometimes you can get it to hold but it's a bit fussy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sticking this to a hockey puck makes for a perfect portable bedside charger.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0109I9W24

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Any recommendations for fast-charging docks beside the included Apple USB-C? I have an older dock that isn't too bad for trickle charging but charging in the morning quickly is something I'd like while showering.

I bought an Anker for my laptop because, Anker. Good for on the go I suppose, but not fast charging.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EconOutlines posted:

Any recommendations for fast-charging docks beside the included Apple USB-C? I have an older dock that isn't too bad for trickle charging but charging in the morning quickly is something I'd like while showering.

I bought an Anker for my laptop because, Anker. Good for on the go I suppose, but not fast charging.

The new Belkin 3 in 1’s include fast charging for the 7 series now. They also have a new watch only charger that fast charges https://www.belkin.com/us/chargers/wireless/boost-charge-pro-portable-fast-charger-for-apple-watch/p/p-wiz015/

Violator
May 15, 2003

EconOutlines posted:

LI bought an Anker for my laptop because, Anker. Good for on the go I suppose, but not fast charging.

Oh wow, that’s pretty slick.

I hadn’t thought about fast charging on the Watch, that’s a great idea.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wife swapped out her phone because the screen got cracked and her watch didn’t automatically migrate which is kind of a bummer. The surprising thing is how well it still works at home. Still gets texts and alerts, I think she can still get calls, it’s pretty neat how it works through Wi-Fi. Only thing that’s bad is that when we leave the home, it keeps trying to pair to her iPad.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Skeezy posted:

The new Belkin 3 in 1’s include fast charging for the 7 series now. They also have a new watch only charger that fast charges https://www.belkin.com/us/chargers/wireless/boost-charge-pro-portable-fast-charger-for-apple-watch/p/p-wiz015/

Yeah I just bought this but….it won’t be here for another month. So I’ll let you know then i guess :negative:

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

smackfu posted:

Only thing that’s bad is that when we leave the home, it keeps trying to pair to her iPad.

drat—if you can pair it—a heap of people would prefer an iPad-managed AW + then free to choose another phone if you don’t like iPhones …

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I had been using my Apple Watch to record bike rides and just recently started using Strava. Today I had a 50km ride and Strava says it is 2 hours flat but Apple Watch had it at 2:22.

I stopped 3 times for a protein bar and there was some city riding at the end. Was Strava ignoring the time I’m not moving? What else could explain this?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

strava is pretty good at trimming out the time you're standing still

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
my workplace will give me a monthly wellness incentive for a certain number of steps a day. I prefer to walk on the treadmill. I don't want to walk with my phone in my pocket (increases the risk of it falling out) and obviously I need something to track steps.

I've been wanting to get an apple watch and I'm thinking this sounds like a good excuse. I don't mind apple recertified stuff at all, if the price/feature set is right.

I'll poke around for a while but I don't remember the watch refurbs being that great a deal especially since the newer models incorporate the ECG and oximeter (which I would like to get). However the currently available refurbs are not "base-tier", they are stainless+cellular models. also, given the fragmented nature of the apple watch ecosystem (sizes, cases, bands, etc) it makes it hard to find exact models and as you can see the price isn't necessarily great on the older models unless you're really into the exact thing they're selling.

kinda thinking I should just spring for a 7-series aluminum non-cellular model. anything really wrong with the aluminum case and the braided solo loop?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
For what you want an aluminum 7 is fine. You still might be able to find some decent deals. They had some good ones for the holiday shopping season.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

strava is pretty good at trimming out the time you're standing still

Pretty amazing that it can do that with the data. The time difference seems quite accurate with my rest breaks and waits at traffic lights. Will be interesting to see how much of my commute is waiting and how that changes depending if I have luck with the lights or not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In the proper thread now:

I almost threw my Apple Watch across the road today.

Apple fitness gave me a draconian 370km walk goal for January. In Winter. In Ontario. But undeterred I’ve been doing two 10km two hour frozen death marches every day so I can frontload the kilometres on days where it’s not minus twenty degrees or blizarding or I’m dead with corona.

Anyway, on the second of my death marches tonight, I look down at my watch two minutes from completion and realized that SOMEHOW my jacket had managed to both swipe the watch face, AND press the END button after only 1.5km, so the last 8 and change weren’t recorded. I can only guess that the fact that my arm got kind of sweaty helped the jacket gather moisture and maybe some errant swipe of the fabric registered as a touch.

I know they’re ultimately meaningless, but the fitness goals HAVE been getting me to exercise every day and I’ve got a 13 or 14 month streak going so I’m just so gutted that Apple threw met his almost 400km goal today, but also that the watch just robbed me of a non-insignificant bit of it.

So I’m brainstorming ways to fix this in the future. I’m thinking of using the water lock feature so I have to scroll the crown before it takes any input. Anything else?

I gather that once you press END on the workout there’s nothing you can press to have it resume? :(

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
That sounds very similar to trying to use it as a chronometer for sailboat race starts with your conductive technical shirt wanting to fall over the face.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You shouldn't have to have a workout active for it to track walking distance, mine tracks my walking just fine without recording it as a walkout. Though I don't know if this is a weird inconsistency between Health and Fitness and how they do and don't share data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah whenever I run with a long-sleeve shirt or play hockey, I always put water lock on for that exact reason. Sweaty stuff always messes with the touch screen.