Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Action-Bastard posted:

I'm pulling the trigger on this parts list next week or so.

Any red flags or something you think I am missing? This is going to be a HTPC for my bedroom.

CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G6400 4 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H510I PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone ML05B HTPC Case ($76.25 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Amazon)

The ML05B is a really beautiful case. It’s very good if you want a DVD/Blu-ray player.

That PSU is massive overkill though. The most powerful GPU that can fit in that case is the GTX 1650, and that would be fine with 300W.

I made an HTPC for my dad with that case. We used a motherboard with a passively cooled Pentium CPU built in, as well as an external power supply, so it was completely silent. The only thing that made a sound was the disc drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
NR200p max appeared in stock for about a minute before disappearing

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is it still 500 dollars like the last time it was up

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Whatever £360 is in dollars I guess.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

The ML05B is a really beautiful case. It’s very good if you want a DVD/Blu-ray player.

That PSU is massive overkill though. The most powerful GPU that can fit in that case is the GTX 1650, and that would be fine with 300W.

It is indeed overkill but Newegg had it on sale for $38 and that makes it too good to pass up. Additionally down the line I could use it for another build.

I'm also considering passive cooling for this but we'll see how loud the stock cooler is.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finally finished my dip into custom cable management - I still want to replace the 8-pin EPS for a longer one that I can route cleanly, my mistake for not looking at the example pics on PSlate. Annoyingly I've found silver wire I can buy just a week after putting in an order for a custom one, oh well.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 17, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

I really don't get what the point of chasing something totally passive and silent is given the many compromises you need. My aircooled nr200 and 3080 build is very quiet under load and with headphones on, inaudible.

I recently built a passively cooled system with no functional compromises, and the only active fan is on the external gpu. I almost hesitate to mention it as it's a complete one-off system with difficult to source parts. But here:

Jetway Computer Co. makes a bunch of embedded systems and such, and they have this one model called a JBC501F797, released a few months ago, difficult to source. It is a complete barebones where you just add the processor, ram, drive. It includes the case, external power supply, passive heatsink, and custom motherboard that pairs with the case. It runs 8th and 9th gen Intel chips. Within those constraints, and one ssd officially (you can fit two, and I have, but you'll have to source or make a dual cable for it), you can do anything with it.

The egpu runs over the nvme lanes, so it's about 32 gb / s with minimal overhead - faster than thunderbolt 3. It's the size of a medium hardback book. Now I just need to pick up an rtx card for it, but I'm pretty happy with this - I was wanting a nice, power and space efficient rig for vr and this just fits that. Really like the way it looks too.

You have to use a lower wattage part, but they make those and it runs cool - the whole case is a heatsink.

case volume is ~ 3 liters

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 19, 2021

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

I really don't get what the point of chasing something totally passive and silent is given the many compromises you need. My aircooled nr200 and 3080 build is very quiet under load and with headphones on, inaudible.

It would be really useful in a workshop where the fans/circuits of the PC could be damaged. Somewhere with lots of dust, wood fibre or tiny bits of metal.

It's good for a HTPC since you don't want any background noise interfering with what you're watching or listening to. Or if you need to sleep in the same room as your computer when it's running.

I was going to say you wouldn't be able to build a silent PC with a 3080, but it turns out you can! I wonder how hot the case gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJlXnRt9cA

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah I should have added a caveat, obviously for smaller low powered builds I can imagine a lot of use cases where quietness is an important criteria but when it comes to performance builds then you have to start making some big compromises.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah I should have added a caveat, obviously for smaller low powered builds I can imagine a lot of use cases where quietness is an important criteria but when it comes to performance builds then you have to start making some big compromises.

Making a passively cooled system is a design constraint, the same as limiting the size is a constraint. I wasn't specifically looking for a passively cooled system, but this met what I wanted for size + shape, so I was willing to build around that. While I was looking around though, I did find some other systems that exist that are similar to this, but not entirely passively cooled.

I suppose what I'm getting at here is there absolutely are systems and parts that exist where you can have a small size and not sacrifice on functionality, it's just another design constraint. They may be designed for specific applications, like mine, or medical applications, or they could be intended as components that are usually parts of other systems etc. Some of it doesn't necessarily hit retail, and it can be quite rare or what have you, especially during covid times, but it's there. For example you can pick up an 2.5 ssd that holds ten terabytes, they're just spendy and rare

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A mid-ATX build would be just fine at this stage in my life as I'm starting to chill out on moving around. But I stick with SFF because the challenge of figuring out part selection, arrangement, and figuring out how I can jimmy the compromises to have as few tradeoffs as possible is fun. A passively cooled system is a similarly interesting thing because of the constraints you need to play with.

There are tons of options in PC building these days and you can make it as hard or as easy as you want, for any use case you can think of.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The Fuma 2 picked up the Cooler of the Year award from Gamers Nexus

Which...sure

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone know a good under-desk mount for the Ncase M1, and SFF in general? Most under-desk seem to be build with the aluminum boxes Dell and company produce, so they don't adjust small enough to clamp onto an SFF PC. I'm toying with the idea of adding a third 27" monitor to my setup, but this would absolutely force me to move the Ncase under the desk, and since my desk is a sit-stand desk, I need to attach it to the desktop.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The strap type should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Under-Desk-Adjustable-Bracket-Holder/dp/B078JXC9X8/

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
That's what I used for my M1 and it worked pretty well.

If you want to save :10bux: I can send you mine if you cover shipping - don't have a SFF computer anymore and it's just taking up space now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/desktops-laptops/pc-components/cases/products/nzxt-h1-mini-itx-computer-case/11159691.html

NZXT H1 down to $150. I gotta think this is the final clear out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

They'd have to pay me to buy that hotbox tbh.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Only 2 slot width?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wJOUAuKZm8

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It looks like 2.5-slot GPUs will fit (the reference 6800XT they used is that). Length will be the biggest concern. 275mm is listed as the max length, so that rules out a lot of GPUs. The 3080 FE is 285mm long, for instance. As Linus said, just one more centimeter would've fit those in. It would've brought the case from 13 liters to 13.5 liters, which expands support to some of the most popular GPUs out there. Considering they're advertising the case as being compatible with a wide range of GPUs, that seems like a pretty dumb oversight.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 20, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I want to design a case precisely to be as small and COMPATIBLE as possible. I love my NR200 but want something more portable, but the Vella 5/7 for example make a few too many sacrifices.

Also really hard to find anything smaller than the NR200 or M1 that doesn't immediately hotbox a flowthrough GPU.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Meshlicious seems to be another option if you want to emphasize cooling for a system and stay under the NR200 in size. There really is no way around compatibility v. size trade-offs frankly, it's kind of the reason Apple has its whole separate hardware ecosystem with SoCs they own up and down the chain. Even if you design a case custom, it will wind up entirely based around the cooling setup for a GPU (more commonly the hotter, higher power consumption part in prosumer type PCs these days) unless you pull off something similar to what Apple did with its trashcan Mac Pros that it abandoned years ago. And lastly, there's always pre-built options like the Corsair One series but that only gets down to 12L in volume as well which is probably near the physical limit to support high end parts while keeping a PSU also in the enclosure (most builds in like nano ITX setups rely upon external PSUs which kind of cheats in a sense).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ijyt posted:

I want to design a case precisely to be as small and COMPATIBLE as possible. I love my NR200 but want something more portable, but the Vella 5/7 for example make a few too many sacrifices.

Also really hard to find anything smaller than the NR200 or M1 that doesn't immediately hotbox a flowthrough GPU.

Sliger CL530? Has two slim noctua fans behind the gpu. Has a lot of compatibility for a 11 liter case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the "pizza- box"/console-style cases are good for that. They're the most space-efficient form factor if you want to maintain big GPU compatibility, but some people don't like how tall they stand.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I did my first mini build last month

MSI H510 wifi
Pentium 6400 Gold
8gb ram
Silverstone ML05B case

Simple HTPC and it's been great so far.

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 21, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

buglord posted:

Sliger CL530? Has two slim noctua fans behind the gpu. Has a lot of compatibility for a 11 liter case.

That's one I was eyeing as a potential one but I have a 5900X and I've not been to happy with it on air, AIO support would be neat. Designing a case seems like a fun way to get into CAD to be honest!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Still waiting on having money again then I'll throw a Quadro RTX A5000 and a Ryzen 5900X (or 6800/6900 by then) into a Dan A4.

The current (and rumoured future) GPU generation has not been kind to <10l SFF cases.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ijyt posted:

That's one I was eyeing as a potential one but I have a 5900X and I've not been to happy with it on air, AIO support would be neat. Designing a case seems like a fun way to get into CAD to be honest!

Yeah, the tradeoff is very limited CPU cooling options. Doesn't matter if you're building a system for mostly videogames since the single threaded performance on Zen 3 is going to be basically the same capped at 75W or 140W but anything CPU intensive is going to take a hit.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, the tradeoff is very limited CPU cooling options. Doesn't matter if you're building a system for mostly videogames since the single threaded performance on Zen 3 is going to be basically the same capped at 75W or 140W but anything CPU intensive is going to take a hit.

True, forgot that I could just disable cores in BIOS and run it as a 5600X.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ijyt posted:

True, forgot that I could just disable cores in BIOS and run it as a 5600X.

Don't even have to disable cores, dropping the PPT down to something reasonable on a L12S or whatever should be enough for the CPU sort itself out.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hyte Revolt 3 is on sale for $90 or $180 with power supply. It's between M1 and NR200 in size but has a nice carrying handle. I think you pretty much have to AIO cool the CPU. Still, not bad.

https://www.newegg.com/black-ibuypo...&quicklink=true

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

Not sure what the difference is between the 3900X and 5900X but the 3900X does fine under air

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was hitting 80C with mine in an NR200 and using an NH-U12A :/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
loving about with my xproto open case setup. i'm currently running a 2600x with a big fat 212 tower cooler that came out of my old build. temps are nice and frosty, no issues at all but the cooler is huge and sticks out and detracts from my overall coolness factor. i am trying to move to a lower profile cooler. Something like the NH-L9 seems very reasonable. I'm not overclocking or anything and TDP of the 2600X is 95 watts. I should be fine, right? Anyone got any experience with the cooler and want to chime in? Also open to alternatives for similarly good low profile coolers.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

I was hitting 80C with mine in an NR200 and using an NH-U12A :/
Still 10 or 15°C (can't remember) below throttling, what's the problem? :D

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 23, 2021

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

loving about with my xproto open case setup. i'm currently running a 2600x with a big fat 212 tower cooler that came out of my old build. temps are nice and frosty, no issues at all but the cooler is huge and sticks out and detracts from my overall coolness factor. i am trying to move to a lower profile cooler. Something like the NH-L9 seems very reasonable. I'm not overclocking or anything and TDP of the 2600X is 95 watts. I should be fine, right? Anyone got any experience with the cooler and want to chime in? Also open to alternatives for similarly good low profile coolers.

I'd probably go with something slightly beefier for a 2600x. NH-L9x65, NH-L12S, Alpenfohn Black Ridge, ID Cooling IS-60 (with a fan swap), Scythe Big Shuriken 2/3 are all decent options depending on ram clearance, availability and which chunk of metal with a fan attached looks best for you.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Noctua makes a special edition for the am4 socket, the NH-L9x65 SE-AM4. I would probably use that or similar, you don't want to use a 65w tdp cooler on that, it'd probably be loud.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
thanks all, i like the aesthetic of the black ridge more than the nh-L12s and so will probably go in that direction

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So looking forward to 2022, I’m realizing that I don’t really play much in the way of PC games since I finally managed to swear off of mmo’s. I play the occasional indie 2d game and that’s about it.

I’m therefore very curious to see what comes of the Ryzen 6000 series APUs. The rumors seem to indicate that the GPUs are far more than what I need. If they do pan out, I’m seriously contemplating going that route and moving to a truly tiny case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So far I've only seen leaks regarding laptop parts. I'm not sure if there is a desktop Rembrandt APU on the way or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I am definitely making my own presumptions about future parts. Also hoping for some info during CES.