Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

Britain has seen its hottest New Year's Eve ever with temperatures reaching 15.8C (60.4F) in the west of England, the Met Office has said.

The previous record of 14.8C (58.6F) in Colwyn Bay, Wales, in 2011 was toppled this afternoon in Somerset.

Temperatures will continue to rise across England before dropping at night as the UK rings in 2022.

It's 2am and I'm walking back home in a t-shirt. This is Normal

Microplastics has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I put on my skis again to get groceries today. Skied 14km around metro Vancouver streets yesterday. :yeshaha:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i want to xc ski dang it

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Vote!

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Happy new year!

https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1476925700636647428?t=fBOzwkMV1_SAKGFF8LHBQQ&s=19

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://www.thejournal.ie/hottest-autumn-on-record-in-ireland-5643674-Dec2021/

quote:

As the year comes to an end, it is clear we are also on track for another warm year with temperatures around 0.9°C above average. This will make 2021 the 11th consecutive year with temperatures above Ireland’s average

While future temperature projections vary depending on many factors, ‘all’ future projections suggest further warming. This warming, as well as associated defensive actions, is likely to affect everyone in some shape or form

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

bi crimes posted:

we all need to log off and find thoughtful himbos

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn7NaGZO42c

nofx posted:

Next year is gonna be bad
The next one even worse
That's not called pessimism
It's just the truth that hurts

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
On average we’re still doing OK. Definitely worse than last year, but better than next year.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Oh good, we were really focused way too hard on the inevitable collapse of human civilization and it was getting tiresome

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

wynott dunn posted:

On average we’re still doing OK. Definitely worse than last year, but better than next year.

Not great, not terrible.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

an egg posted:

a certain someone appeared in one of my constructed habitats (that doesn't even have a water source) and i couldn't have been more excited if it was an actual unicorn

my child :qq:

welcome little one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/12/30/chevy-bolt-gm/

electric cars not doing too good

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Yeah it's not a horror tornado or a crop-destroying dust storm, but I spent new years eve mostly in my garden in a t-shirt, at about 14 degrees c/ 57 Fahrenheit, in Yorkshire. it's now 5am and 12c/53f. This winter I've not even had to change from my light summer duvet, or even wear layers in the day unless it's raining and I put on a waterproof. This Is Extremely Normal

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

It's really a surprise to me everytime I'm reminded how detached from reality some "political economy" writers are

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There will be no living humans on Earth in 2222

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

so your saying peace on earth is within reach

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

get this optimistic poo poo outta here bitch

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Lol

Same

Lmao the whole way

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

thank god, this stuff was really starting to stress me out

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Will 2222 exist if no humans are around to print a firemen calendar

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Civilisation is crumbling and we've got less than 20 years left. Germany is doing the responsible thing and decommissioning the nuclear power plants safely.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

number go up

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

starkebn posted:

Civilisation is crumbling and we've got less than 20 years left. Germany is doing the responsible thing and decommissioning the nuclear power plants safely.

this post gave me a whiplash

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol i just looked it up and realized i had mixed up carbon dioxide and methane cycles (decades vs potentially a millennium lmfao) in my noggin

UNEP posted:

Yes. Carbon dioxide remains in the atmosphere for hundreds to thousands of years. This means that even if emissions were immediately and dramatically reduced it would not have an effect on the climate until later in the century. But it takes only about a decade for methane to break down. So, reducing methane emissions now would have an impact in the near term and is critical for helping keep the world on a path to 1.5°C.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

happy new years yall. based on historical trends of the 21st century, 2022 is probably going to be worse than 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
have you heard that by 2040 the new york pension fund will only invest in carbon neutral entities?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Xaris posted:

happy new years yall. based on historical trends of the 21st century, 2022 is probably going to be worse than 2021

spoiler alert!!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Homeless Friend posted:

lol i just looked it up and

Don't Look it Up

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Xaris posted:

thread, any idea why it seemed to speed up as of 2008 or 2009? was that the obama fracking thing?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Horizon Burning posted:

thread, any idea why it seemed to speed up as of 2008 or 2009? was that the obama fracking thing?

as best as i can figure ouit yeah that was the start of the obama fracking boom and subsequent massive methane emissions

and now we're melting permafrosts acting as methane sinks/caps which are poppin' off

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Xaris posted:

2022 is probably going to be worse than 2021

was never in doubt

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

drill baby drill

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Xaris posted:

as best as i can figure ouit yeah that was the start of the obama fracking boom and subsequent massive methane emissions

and now we're melting permafrosts acting as methane sinks/caps which are poppin' off

that was me, folks

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
we, uh... fracked some folks

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Rime posted:

I put on my skis again to get groceries today. Skied 14km around metro Vancouver streets yesterday. :yeshaha:

I know it's hosed up there and it's hosed up here how little we have and also the ski thread doesn't want to talk about it?

Rime posted:

It takes me about 4 months to destroy a pair of Blakladder beyond usability. They're good but they're not "that" good, the fabric is actually very thin. Which is nice when you are working in a 40 degree turbine nacelle and the company is buying them, but not so much if you are paying out of pocket expecting something robust.

I have more Carrhart denim work pants in storage than I will ever be able to use before my body gives out, on the other hand, that poo poo is insane.

Good to know, I think Kuhl's more hardcore stuff is pretty similar to Carrhart. My Kuhl jacket seems as rugged as the equivalent Carrhart. Blakladder has some fun looking kilts but that's insanely impractical for what I do, I need full leg protection and boots.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

starkebn posted:

that’s one way to look at it I guess

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

reddit post titled "Fly over photo shows an entire neighborhood wiped out in the Marshall Fire (Boulder, CO)"

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I know it's hosed up there and it's hosed up here how little we have and also the ski thread doesn't want to talk about it?

Good to know, I think Kuhl's more hardcore stuff is pretty similar to Carrhart. My Kuhl jacket seems as rugged as the equivalent Carrhart. Blakladder has some fun looking kilts but that's insanely impractical for what I do, I need full leg protection and boots.

Where I'm at anyway, kuhl is 3x the price for Carhartt, especially at those places that sell yellow vests and hardhats as well.

In my walking around experience, kuhl is like Patagonia for chuds and Carhartt is for people that are, or very much like to pretend that they actually do stuff.

While neither is great in terms of corporate responsibility, kuhl deffo has some magic petroleum plastic in their blends to give it that waxed canvas but not oiley feel. It's a nice feel but definitely not natural. Carhartt is mostly heavy denier cotton based canvas and while not from a great crop, isn't filled with petroleum and probably pfas and some plastic based super thing non woven base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Basic Poster posted:

While neither is great in terms of corporate responsibility, kuhl deffo has some magic petroleum plastic in their blends to give it that waxed canvas but not oiley feel. It's a nice feel but definitely not natural. Carhartt is mostly heavy denier cotton based canvas and while not from a great crop, isn't filled with petroleum and probably pfas and some plastic based super thing non woven base.

I'll keep this in mind next time I am buying stuff; the Kuhl stuff I've had is miles more durable than Patagonia or Mountain Hardwear poo poo, but there's a huge spread in what they make. The pants and jacket I just got were priced pretty similar to similar carhartt gear.

I've never seen Kuhl for sale locally here, tbqh. Tractor Exchange has a mix of Carhartt and cheapass stuff.