Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was under the impression "they" is generally acceptable if you're not sure of someone's gender, is that not the case?

It is supposed to be gender neutral, the absolute dumb gently caress was trying to make a point and didn't realize Sophie actually goes by them too even if you know their preferred pronouns. Just some prime cut Tumblr dumbassery on display there tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcOTiTVuizU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

I feel like anime/JRPG elves in general tend to be decent more often in general. To my understanding a lot of pop fantasy stuff tends to further derivate from stuff like dragon quest or lodoss war rather than tolkien directly, which would explain elves and dwarves leaning more towards just being types of guys than being as tightly bound to the usual tropes
the primary influences on western fantasy in japan are like, wizardry, ultima, d&d. obviously lord of the rings is known and there's stuff in that mold too but stuff like slayers and a lot of modern isekai (and even fantasy that has video game-y elements but isnt isekai) is definitely drawing more from that well. hence elves are just kinda guys who know a lot and not like, the deepest and most profound race to ever exist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grondoth posted:

look at most of the things that get popular on TikTok and deal with the discomfort of feeling like the kids actually are stupider than they used to be.
our generation thought foamy the squirrel was peak comedy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Homestar Runner holds up.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

our generation thought foamy the squirrel was peak comedy

our generation did not have the internet cause a nation-wide problem of kids stealing poo poo from their school so they could flaunt it on a short-video service

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

of all the things to get mad about tiktok for petty theft seems like the lamest

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

our generation did not have the internet cause a nation-wide problem of kids stealing poo poo from their school so they could flaunt it on a short-video service

No we just did it because we're all little sociopaths our first like nineteen years of life

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i wish kids wouldnt steal from schools :( i remember my parents having to buy their own classroom supplies when things were already being stretched to their limits.

e: we were stupid too (me especially) but i think its just that we are able to see how stupid these kids are very easily. i dont use tiktok due to being 30 or 40 years old and because i just desire that much interaction with children in my day to day life. they're annoying lol

fun hater fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 1, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Despite all things tho my favorite movie of the entire year was Psycho Goreman which had Rich Evans in it and was inadvertently the most important movie I’ve ever seen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Half in the Bag: Matrix 4 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpSo4fu1rgM

They give the movie a rather earnest chance, it seems. I'm still not sure it sells me because I liked the first movie but 2 and 3 were very much not my jam and going for more feels counterproductive, but it seems better than I hoped, at least in theme.

This is probably the most thoughtful and nuanced take I've seen on Matrix 4 yet. I was expecting them to hate it but they both actually kind of... mostly liked it. Or at least liked what it was trying to do with its fire blazing middle fingers to everything wrong with movies and entertainment/audience culture these days.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Homestar Runner holds up.

A new Homestar video popping up always makes my day, probably even more so now that it's once every couple of years or so. I'm glad the brothers Chaps got actual paid work out of it in the end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grondoth posted:

If you want to feel old, look at most of the things that get popular on TikTok and deal with the discomfort of feeling like the kids actually are stupider than they used to be.

*me watching someone doing interpretative dance imitating a box of crayons being crushed under a hydraulic press*

drat this is hosed up... why cant kids just watch smart entertainment like sparta remixes and red vs blue like normal teens?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tiktok is good just because of how it lets you reply to videos with other videos leading to poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N4uov4qWTc

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

tiktok is good just because of how it lets you reply to videos with other videos leading to poo poo like this

lmfao

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

this is part of the 10% of anything that makes it worth dealing with the rest of the 90% that's poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the same could be said of all religions

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

This is probably the most thoughtful and nuanced take I've seen on Matrix 4 yet. I was expecting them to hate it but they both actually kind of... mostly liked it. Or at least liked what it was trying to do with its fire blazing middle fingers to everything wrong with movies and entertainment/audience culture these days.

Certainly RLM is aware enough to get the movie was made essentially under protest which others don't seem to be, which helps.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Certainly RLM is aware enough to get the movie was made essentially under protest which others don't seem to be, which helps.

i dont understand how people can't get this point; it's not like they're shy about openly talking about it in the movie itself

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Do not even ask posted:

Maybe I'm just getting too old for Youtube

Now that I think of it, last December you could mark and see two videogame talky people having their "Oh, look at how long I've spent doing this" moments, with James Rolfe's LJN trilogy being a long skit where he tries to make a videogame under the same constraints and realizing that he was too harsh to that company and Jeremy Parish finally getting into some honestly terrible games and being far more open to calling them lovely, even if under his historical and more professional veneer. The latter is working on something that he (half-jokingly) said that he's going to hit the midway point around the year 2043, keeping an admirable level of quality on the analysis and video, and even he has to call some things he covered a turd. You can tell both have somewhat different audiences on how they cover videogames, but it's interesting to see a convergence. Hell if you want to feel really old, Jeremy Parish's video on Deadly Towers refers to Seanbaby's article on it as a piece of memorabilia that did affect the history of the game itself and how people approached videogames.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

TeamFourStar's Top 12 Dragon Ball Sagas is now uploaded in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWEEBHE99g

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ash Crimson posted:

i dont understand how people can't get this point; it's not like they're shy about openly talking about it in the movie itself

There is a very large segment of the population who looked at the Matrix and just saw 'cool action!' All they remember is the black clothes and bullet time.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 1, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

of all the things to get mad about tiktok for petty theft seems like the lamest
the internet loves to play morality cop about that sort of thing (see the ridiculous overreaction to sweetbean’s comic about swiping art supplies)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That comic does come off really douchey though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

the response, to be clear, was death threats and doxxing, and people to this day call her a monster and search her name to post in any tweet that mentions her

e: also if anyone is supremely online enough to genuinely threaten a poor (as in money) queer artist over a comic strip they made involving petty theft and can't get over it to this day, that person should not only go outside but stay there, locked out of their house until they commune with nature

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 1, 2022

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

the internet loves to play morality cop about that sort of thing (see the ridiculous overreaction to sweetbean’s comic about swiping art supplies)

when you see a poor school having to figure out how to repair a bathroom because someone broke the wall to take out a paper towel dispenser to show off on a short video service, the stupidity of it all is just too much to handle anymore, no one's getting anything out of it, everyone's being hurt, and none of it needs to happen.

nine-gear crow posted:

The RLM guys have been consistently frustrated with constant reboots, remakes, and the endless regurgitation of old stuff that seems to dominate big-budget pictures recently. The movie speaks to them and says something that they desperately wanted to see said in a movie like The Matrix. It's why they both can't hate it, and why Mike said he loved every minute of it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, the whole 'Gremlins 2' link apparently clinched it. Part of me is surprised that's still a thing in Hollywood, but that's a very naive part I didn't even know I still had.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grondoth posted:

The RLM guys have been consistently frustrated with constant reboots, remakes, and the endless regurgitation of old stuff that seems to dominate big-budget pictures recently. The movie speaks to them and says something that they desperately wanted to see said in a movie like The Matrix. It's why they both can't hate it, and why Mike said he loved every minute of it.

People complaining they are too negative about popcorn movies has always confused me. They love schlocky fun movies... it's just that popcorn movies often feel either like cynical money makers or self-serious and not very fun.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

It's not even about how stealing is good, the whole punchline is "ah drat I went to all this trouble but I still can't think of anything to make art about"

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also wasn't the comic literally her own original characters and not actually meant to be representative of herself or anything she personally has done

like it was literally a comic about her own fictional story she was creating at the time lol, not a fuckin journal comic or anything

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thenib/status/1475481607842799616

The author of the comic recently did a meta-comic about the reaction.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

I saw a tweet about that comic the other day, and they pointed out that the store depicted in the comic was based off Blick Art Materials, which is (was?) a family owned business that's not as prominent compared to other art stores, and employs artists. They asked, 'why not use Hobby Lobby?' which is a chain notorious for all sorts of terrible behavior.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 1, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that sounds made up and a dumb justification for the collective 'I hope you literally kill yourself for taking an eraser you piece of poo poo' meltdown it caused

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The eraser was the only thing paid for.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
gonna stan for hobby lobby lmao

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think what gets me about the response is that nearly everyone that attacked her was getting their stuff from react YouTubers or like, it wouldn't take long to see a pebble hurl or pebble hurl adjacent comic on their feed. People suddenly trying to pin it on BLM/ACAB bio ppl is really weird.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the most hosed up thing about that response (i only heard of it fairly recently with that metacomic) was the amount of people who thought the fictional character, who fakely stole fake art supplies from a fake art store, was actually supposed to be the irl comic creator who Actually Stole from a real art store :psyduck:

e:

Kunster posted:

I think what gets me about the response is that nearly everyone that attacked her was getting their stuff from react YouTubers or like, it wouldn't take long to see a pebble hurl or pebble hurl adjacent comic on their feed. People suddenly trying to pin it on BLM/ACAB bio ppl is really weird.

i wouldn't be surprised if the story got telephoned in some way to get more progressive people on board, or there was a bunch of harassment ghouls just waiting for the right moment to capitalize on it a la ellis

Booky fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 1, 2022

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Endorph posted:

So this is the "duet" feature, which lets you put a video side by side the original.

There's also the "Stitch" feature which is somehow an even worse version of the quote retweet. You show 5 seconds of another person's video and then react to it.

This feature is so bad, that if you are stitching someone to respond to their argument or continue the discussion you often have to a) summarize the rest of the argument and b) make it clear that you don't want your followers to go and yell at them.

A common refrain you'll hear is "no hate to this creator, go watch their video, I just wanted to make a few points" or something to the effect.

That said, TikTok is way better about keeping you within your own little space and not throwing drama from the biggest creators at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Booky posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if the story got telephoned in some way to get more progressive people on board, or there was a bunch of harassment ghouls just waiting for the right moment to capitalize on it a la ellis

Oh no, this was definitely the earlier since she did a comic with two workers at a store going "gently caress PewDiePie" and his defenders somehow did a big gently caress off harassment campaign on how the second banana on that comic was this underappreciated everyman figure that deserved love from having to endure such a nasty, full of hate, coworker that anyone with a couple neurons could figure it was indeed a way to scream at the cartoonist rather than being this suddenly "wholesome" thing that came out of nowhere. This was definitely the sequel of that poo poo. Every few days, I get a youtube recommend from some tech guy basically screaming at the viewer to either increase police brutality bc of a tiktok meme or to bomb China with one tiny little sticker saying "i don't condone harassment, just give me a gazillion views and call my target of choice a degenerate over and over again on this clearly not-public avenue".

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 1, 2022