Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

Jack Trades posted:

Between the physical thing you always carry with you and an email webpage, one of those can be accessed by a lot more potential thieves and thus is more likely to be stolen.
I'll let you guess which one it is.

this is why i print out the email and carry it with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cowman posted:

https://steaminventoryhelper.com/

This is a good way to quick sell cards.

Didn't that get taken over by a Russian data harvesting op or something?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm sure somewhere out there is the guy who goes around swiping phones and keeping them on while going through Steam to trade & sell poo poo for money. Somewhere! It's happened!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Phone auth apps are an OK solution for folks who take care of their phones. I rarely update my phone and install apps kinda indiscriminately which is really pretty dumb considering its got my credit card linked to it and a bunch of other private stuff. I guess losing my steam account would be the least of my problems if it got stolen/hacked, maybe I should get that app :haw:

Switching phone numbers can be an issue though. I lost access to my hotmail years ago due to that and not realizing MS was transitioning to a universal account for all their services.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 1, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Thanks to whoever recommended Call of the Sea some pages back. Just gotten done with it, it was a really good time. It lays it on a little thick with the genre conveniences (e.g. people scattering pointless but helpful notes and letters everywhere), but if you're in the mood for that it really hits the spot.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

future stolen steam account owners posting in this topic

Huh it's been a while since I've seen one of those, "so-and-so, your account fell victim to a 'vote for my team' scam" ITT

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Diephoon posted:

Thanks for posting about this, seems right up my alley. Not having descriptions on the item upgrades seems weird (or maybe I just missed how to see them) but the game itself is very charming and I'm actually interested in seeing how the wizard's pact with a horrible demon works out.

Here's a hint, always buy Candle Light, it relights the health restoration candles that you break and increases survivability. The problem is, if you leave it, the cost spirals as you break more and more candles, eventually feeling unobtainable.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TOOT BOOT posted:

It was released almost 2 years ago and it's taken this long to do part 1 of the first thing on the roadmap. Not real good.

The dev had a baby some time last year.

The game is, in fact, real good and well worth every cent right now.
The synergies you can make are absolutely bonkers.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for all the Astalon: Tears of the earth recommendations, that seems like right up my alley.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Nova Drift is cool and good and people should buy it, but it has serious visibility issues. Most of my losses come from losing track of myself.

Try to find your blue ship on a blue background while your 10+ blue constructs with blue shields are firing blue beams at blue enemies dying in blue explosions while dodging blue comets. And God forbid you ever pause the game, you better remember where your ship was or find it immediately, because death comes fast.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

As usual during the winter sale \ my near-birthday, I'm handing out gifts.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, specify a favorite genre(s). Write a short review here \ ride the gift train in return (or both, obv).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

Nova Drift is cool and good and people should buy it, but it has serious visibility issues. Most of my losses come from losing track of myself.

Try to find your blue ship on a blue background while your 10+ blue constructs with blue shields are firing blue beams at blue enemies dying in blue explosions while dodging blue comets. And God forbid you ever pause the game, you better remember where your ship was or find it immediately, because death comes fast.

That's why you switch to Leviathan for a bulletproof body that stretches across the whole screen.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mokinokaro posted:

Didn't that get taken over by a Russian data harvesting op or something?

Did it? I certainly hope not because it's incredibly useful. What's a good replacement if it did?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://github.com/Nuklon/Steam-Economy-Enhancer

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Posting my short review from last year's gift from Xander

Eagle Island Twist is a cool adventure platformer. The art style is a draw, cute but not cutesy. You got birds and you throw the birds around to defeat enemies and stuff. Ereybody loves freakin birds right? The controls feel pretty tight. Good game. When you get to the parts that are more challenging, it's really is a bit "more-ish" when you're defeated. Gotta do that level one more time. The problem is that I have it on PC--just like Shovel Knight, it's a game that I just don't want to play on the PC. If it were on Switch I would have played through the whole game, but as it is I didn't play it enough to feel like I knew it well enough to write a short review for it. But here's this short review.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

sick thanks, just switched over.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The second DLC for Supraland, Six Inches Under, releases on January 14th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfXXy1cA8Ms

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1522870/Supraland_Six_Inches_Under/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
glad i uninstalled the extension as soon as it did its job

changing all my passwords now, what an rear end-backwards shitshow this whole process is

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Cruelty Squad is way too good and you should pick it up sight unseen. It's a trip.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Blattdorf posted:

Cruelty Squad is way too good and you should pick it up sight unseen. It's a trip.

I'm stuck on the mall level and I feel like I'm missing something. I love the style but I'm clearly missing whatever is "clicking" for other people.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Waste of Breath posted:

I'm stuck on the mall level and I feel like I'm missing something. I love the style but I'm clearly missing whatever is "clicking" for other people.

Take the elevator.

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
Take the rocket launcher :mrgw:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Sorry for the semi-meltdown, y'all!

The Gripper posted:

How would logging in at all work if you didn't have internet?

I meant that to be in the context of Steam, and you just turn on Steam, and can access it locally in Offline Mode. I see now, though, that I was making a possibly unwarranted assumption that you needed to authenticate ALL the time, and could no longer use Offline Mode when, well, offline.

BrianRx posted:

For the vast majority of people, passwords are a very poor security method. You really need to be using a password manager with random, unique strings as passwords for every site. There is an almost 100% certainty that any given person's account information for at least one site is publicly available. Given that many people also reuse passwords or use passwords that can be guessed easily, you really can't rely on them to keep a large user base safe, even if it would require an attacker to compromise two accounts. It would be trivial enough to do to make it a major problem for Valve.

An authenticator app is something you have, rather than something you know that can be guessed by someone else. The code you get with it exists only on the phone you are holding and the server that will authenticate you and is not transmitted to you in any way that can be intercepted. I'm not sure what your attitude toward electronics that cost several hundred dollars is, but I've personally never lost a phone. There are methods for finding lost phones baked into both major mobile OSes as well as provided by apps anyway. I have broken phones or reformatted them without backing up my authenticator keys, though. In both cases, it was inconvenient but not impossible to recover from. Even my password manager provider had a method for recovering my account without an authenticator.

If you don't mind me asking, what accounts or type of accounts did you lose access to? What prevented you from recovering them?

I don't use a password manager, although I have been considering it. I don't have anything digital that I need kept safe; no positions of responsibility, no important financial holdings, etc., so I've been lax about making that change. I DO reuse passwords, but on a tiered system; I have a couple commonly-used passwords for low-priority accounts (like an Alienware account I made for getting free poo poo from giveaways), then a password for streaming services, and unique passwords for anything that can take money - Steam, Amazon, etc. Plus, of course, my email password, which I change regularly since it's the linchpin.

As for losing or breaking phones - It's only been recently that I've HAD a phone that cost several hundred dollars, the rest were all Obamaphones, i.e. incredibly cheap phones with service that barely worked, limited minutes per month, and couldn't access the internet. They also had a habit of, you know, breaking. Only... what, four years ago? Did I actually get a real smartphone, and I've neither broken nor lost it, although I did find to my displeasure that important apps were losing compatibility with the final version of Android available on it and I had to buy a new phone last year. So, before the smartphone, I didn't have any methods of finding phones, or the ability to download apps, so authenticator requirements ranged from annoying to impossible to fulfill.

One account I lost was my Google account! I tried many times in many ways, contacted Customer Service, but the only response I got was "You need to give us a code sent to your phone," and "That phone broke and they had to send me a new one, which naturally has a different number" didn't hold water. I know big-name phone services allow you to easily keep your number and data when swapping to a new smartphone, but Big Bob's Discount Phonez4U doesn't, or didn't anyway, and those are the kinds of services covered by the plan I had access to.

I... actually don't remember what the other account was at this moment, and I have to go make a trip to the store, but I appreciate the level-headed response!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is the steam Nocturne good? Is the switch version better? Anyone got anything to say about either of these? I appreciate your input!

edit: the steam version is 30 dollars and the switch version is 20 dollars at gamestop. I'd prefer to play whichever version is 'better' though, so please let me know!

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 1, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Want to post my cart and see if anyone has good opinions or suggestions for similar

Sense - 不祥的预感: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story

I love the Hong Kong setting in general and despite the questionable art style every about it sounds very interesting.

Sword and Fairy 7

Chinese arpg that gets compared to Guijan 3, one of the most surprisingly great games I've played of the last few years.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

Pretty well know I think. I was a huge fan of the original game and hoping this at least the same or improved quality.

Bladed fury

Based on Chinese mythology and has a really nice look. I'm not a huge find of the 2D action style games but I've played a few that I really enjoyed and this seems like it could be one of them.

Neo Cab

Seems like a cool cyberpunk VN. Art isn't too impressive but the whole aesthetic is what I really like.

The House in Fata Morgana

One of those games that everyone seems to agree is great and amazing.

A Summer's End - Hong Kong 1986

One of those games that looks and sounds amazing but I've never seen on sale, so finally seeing some discount is enough for me to finally buy it. The 80s Hong Kong setting plus the old school anime art looks better then most VN's I've seen.

NieR Replicant™ ver.1.22474487139...

The new Nier game.

Ara Fell: Enhanced Edition

Not a huge fan of RPGMaker games, but it looks polished and has very good reviews.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bladed Fury is short and not particularly difficult, but other than that it's a solid action platformer. For what it costs now it's definitely worth a try.

Ara Fell has been through a pretty significant revamp since I played it, but the version I went through is one of the best RPGMaker games out there. I can't imagine that they made it worse.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Sleve McDichael posted:

Take the rocket launcher :mrgw:

I don't think I have this unlocked... Maybe I need to go play previous levels again?

Blattdorf posted:

Take the elevator.

It's more that I haven't been able to find the "rhythm" that others do that allows them to break the game over their knee. Looks cool as hell but unless I play very very carefully I get swatted like a fly :saddowns: same feeling I get playing Noita (another game I love that I can't get very far in)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

There is a rocket launcher in the mall level

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

redreader posted:

Is the steam Nocturne good? Is the switch version better? Anyone got anything to say about either of these? I appreciate your input!

edit: the steam version is 30 dollars and the switch version is 20 dollars at gamestop. I'd prefer to play whichever version is 'better' though, so please let me know!

EDIT Google reviews

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Diephoon posted:

Thanks for posting about this, seems right up my alley. Not having descriptions on the item upgrades seems weird

The item descriptions can be bought via post-death upgrade 'Knowledge'.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

John Lee posted:

Isn't the default option 'two-factor' anyways?

No. The three factors of authentication are: something you know, something you have, and something you are. There are others that various people argue should be standard, but those are the three everyone agrees on. 2-factor authentication means authenticating the user by requiring them to use two of those factors to prove their identity. Requiring the user to have two different passwords is safer than one password, but it is still one factor authentication and it is not as safe as 2FA.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Just finished Cosmic Star Heroine after having it advertised to me in a hilarious 4th wall breaking moment while playing Cthulhu Saves Christmas. And fair play to the devs, I didn't know the game existed, that made me look it up, and considering the current price, I thought I'd pick it up.

It ended up being a pretty solid 16-bit style jrpg with a lot of quality of life (no grind, no random battles while walking around, party composition can be changed any time while not in combat...) and the same interesting combat system they later reused in Cthulhu Saves Christmas, but where in the Cthulhu game it didn't really matter, here you do want to learn abilities timing (abilities can only be used once until you waste a turn resting to reset them) and maximise the synergy between the short term buffs for some pretty massive bursts. It also happens to be sci-fi which is surprisingly rare, and takes you through 3 planets, various dungeons/buildings/caves (a good few of them being sidequests or purely optional locations), and your own spaceship.

I finished it with 24h clocked on Steam, but some of that was just the game paused while doing something else. It's likely something like 20h overall, which is pretty reasonable.

Highly recommended to anyone into the genre.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ariong posted:

No. The three factors of authentication are: something you know, something you have, and something you are. There are others that various people argue should be standard, but those are the three everyone agrees on. 2-factor authentication means authenticating the user by requiring them to use two of those factors to prove their identity. Requiring the user to have two different passwords is safer than one password, but it is still one factor authentication and it is not as safe as 2FA.

Huh, okay. Thanks for letting me know.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Parallelwoody posted:

Horizon zero dawn is a great open world game.

Yes, it is. How far a long are you? Make sure you collect as much data pads and audio logs as possible. They really enhance the story.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Oh I've beat it already, I was recommending it to the person looking for another open world game. Definitely up there with my favorites.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FishMcCool posted:

Highly recommended to anyone into the genre.

Me too.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Waste of Breath posted:

I don't think I have this unlocked... Maybe I need to go play previous levels again?

It's more that I haven't been able to find the "rhythm" that others do that allows them to break the game over their knee. Looks cool as hell but unless I play very very carefully I get swatted like a fly :saddowns: same feeling I get playing Noita (another game I love that I can't get very far in)

in the level with the houses, whatever it's called, you can find a rocket launcher in a big building.

also no the game is just kinda hard, especially in the beginning before you get used to how the enemy AI works.

e: the level is called paradise.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 2, 2022

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
fwiw the mall level with the necromechs is by far the biggest roadblock in the game, barring some of the stuff at the end of the game. it's where i got stuck the first time i played it just because it's the game suddenly deciding to change the rules you've been playing by.

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
Paradise has the rocket launcher and the big rear end sniper rifle I think? Grab them, kill stuff, catch fish :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

To be more clear there is a rocket launcher in the gun store in the mall. You can also kill the mech cops with the LMG they carry.

You don't have to take a headrun at the target. There is at least a couple of ways to kill him without getting caught in the lockdown or fighting the mech cops.

Cruelty Squad isn't a Boomer Shooter it's a Tactical Shooter like Delta Force crossed with body horror bioaugment Im Sim, if you play it like Prodeus you're gonna have a bad time.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 2, 2022