Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Must own games, ranked most essential to least:

Cartridge / Digital:
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Dread
Super Mario Odyssey
Bayonetta 1 and 2
Mario 3D World / Bowser's Fury
Link's Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Golf
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Mario Maker 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Ghostbusters
a pokemon game
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Mario Party Superstars
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mario 3D All-stars
Wario Ware
Animal Crossing
New SMB U Deluxe

Lol at MUA being on here and not Pikmin or Fire Emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just got Monster Hunter Rise from the library and it's my first MH game. I played through about an hour and a half and the first "tutorial" mission and boy howdy I have no idea what's going on! It's a lot to take in. I couldn't even figure out how to hit the dinosaurs in the first mission but my awesome dog killed them all while I ran around like an idiot.

It's a pretty impressive looking game for the Switch!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol at MUA Ghostbusters being on here and not Pikmin or Fire Emblem.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ghostbusters is so much better than whatever those are.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ghostbusters is so much better than whatever those are.

You come to the Nintendo Switch thread and talk poo poo about Pikmin? :argh:

I love the gently caress out of Ghostbusters and have since I was 4, but Pikmin 3 is a far, far better game.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
IDK it looks like a baby game like earthbound

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

IDK it looks like a baby game like earthbound

Av + post combo

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Stux posted:

fix your e list for you.

welcome back

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

So I just started Breath of the Wild for the first time and like 2 hours in it just turns into a really boring tedious hunting simulator? This poo poo sucks.
For those who have played it, does it
A. Get better from here?
B. Is this hunting and cooking stuff a big part of the game or can I just ignore it for the most part like all the Ratatouille stuff in Kingdom Hearts?

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
cooking sucks but exploring rules

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That stuff isn't strictly necessary, but it can provide some nice healing items for tough fights. I love wandering around in the world, finding chests, and solving shrine puzzles enough that cooking and item durability aren't a problem for me

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Fish Of Doom posted:

So I just started Breath of the Wild for the first time and like 2 hours in it just turns into a really boring tedious hunting simulator? This poo poo sucks.
A. Get better from here?
B. Is this hunting and cooking stuff a big part of the game or can I just ignore it for the most part like all the Ratatouille stuff in Kingdom Hearts?

You kinda have to cook if you want healing items, but you can get by with just roasting every fruit, veggie, and plant you find. There's no recipes, just don't mix bug or monster parts with food. I rarely hunted.
Get ready for lots of unguided exploration, though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fish Of Doom posted:

A. Get better from here?

You don't have to hunt at all. Like others said, the food can be used to give you various stat buffs, but you don't have to do any of that. If you just collect things you see along the way, you can cook up some simple things that give you hearts, or just carry around fairies.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I stand by my belief that a recipe should be more effective based on its complexity and not just its base ingredients, so Chillshroom Omlettes would give better heat resistance than just Chillshroom Mushroom Skewers.

This would give you a reason to look up recipes beyond the two quests that want fancy foods, and also encourage you to find and collect ingredients like eggs and milk and goron spices. Also Link has got to be sick of simmered durian by now.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Fish Of Doom posted:

A. Get better from here?

You don't have to do those things, but if the exploration and less structured aspects of the game aren't your thing, you're probably not going to have a great time.

You can just mainline the story quests if you want - but then you are kinda playing something closer to a traditional Zelda with worse dungeons.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

ROJO posted:

You don't have to do those things, but if the exploration and less structured aspects of the game aren't your thing, you're probably not going to have a great time.

I'm fine with the exploration, but when I'm just wandering aimlessly in this wooded area for like an hour just praying a boar spawns in front of me and doesn't immediately run, just so I can get a tunic that means I don't just die in the cold, is really killing my desire to grind it out of this initial tutorial area.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm fine with the exploration, but when I'm just wandering aimlessly in this wooded area for like an hour just praying a boar spawns in front of me and doesn't immediately run, just so I can get a tunic that means I don't just die in the cold, is really killing my desire to grind it out of this initial tutorial area.

There's like 3 different ways to get that tunic. If you don't wanna hunt the boar for it go explore some more and do fun things. You'll find it eventually.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Harriet Carker posted:

I just got Monster Hunter Rise from the library and it's my first MH game. I played through about an hour and a half and the first "tutorial" mission and boy howdy I have no idea what's going on! It's a lot to take in. I couldn't even figure out how to hit the dinosaurs in the first mission but my awesome dog killed them all while I ran around like an idiot.

It's a pretty impressive looking game for the Switch!

The thing that made MH first "click" with me was watching one of the many weapon tutorials on YouTube. Prior to that I was just mashing attack buttons and not really enjoying myself or understanding what made what attacks come out, but the videos really made me understand that there's very different approaches that you have to adopt for each weapon. Typically for each weapon I'd watch the video, play a couple of hours, then watch the video again because there were surely tidbits I had forgotten.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

You don't even need the tunic - there are other ways to get through the cold area. This same sort of logic applies through the entire game, which is part of what makes it so great.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's several other methods to deal with that situation that don't require you to get the tunic for that matter

1. Go pescatarian and leave out the steak entirely, spicy seafood stir fry is delicious.
  2. Catch some of the red butterflies (Summer wing Butterflies) and cook them with bokoblin horns, drink whatever comes out
  3. Carry a lit torch
  4. Collect a shitton of apples and tank the damage (I don't really recommend this one but if you're feeling bold go for it)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fish Of Doom posted:

A. Get better from here?

Just farm nothing but durians, make the five-durian meal from them until your inventory is full, then go kill ganon with near-infinite health and trade that boring game for a GOOD rpg.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fish Of Doom posted:

Birds are a lot easier to hunt and work for the recipe the same as steak.

YggiDee posted:

There's several other methods to deal with that situation that don't require you to get the tunic for that matter

1. Go pescatarian and leave out the steak entirely, spicy seafood stir fry is delicious.
  2. Catch some of the red butterflies (Summer wing Butterflies) and cook them with bokoblin horns, drink whatever comes out
  3. Carry a lit torch
  4. Collect a shitton of apples and tank the damage (I don't really recommend this one but if you're feeling bold go for it)
I think you can just cook up a bunch of chilis, which conveniently grow right next to the cold area, to get enough cold resist to get to the shrine, you don't even need meat.

You can hypothetically get out of the tutorial area without ever having to fight or kill anything, which is cool.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Fish Of Doom posted:

A. Get better from here?

lol, I'm pretty sure I hunted maybe once in the entire game. I can't even imagine what you are doing to make you think "really boring tedious hunting simulator"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

Just farm nothing but durians, make the five-durian meal from them until your inventory is full, then go kill ganon with near-infinite health and trade that boring game for a GOOD rpg.

gently caress that noise, I ain't dealing with the cooking interface. I carried hundreds of apples and just slammed them down links face

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Link's teeth should have durability. Then during the late game, when you've broken all his teeth, you can only restore health with soft foods.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can repair them, but it involves finding the elusive Sheikah Dentist and then getting him the Master Drill.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I liked cooking random poo poo in BOTW , especially when it was awful food and I forced Link to eat it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most of my 'hunting' in BOTW was picking up roadkill once I got the Giant Horse.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

Len posted:

gently caress that noise, I ain't dealing with the cooking interface. I carried hundreds of apples and just slammed them down links face

glad this is gonna turn out to be a viable strategy

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'm playing metroid dread now and wow. this game is really cool. Anyone heard about this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most of my 'hunting' in BOTW was picking up roadkill once I got the Giant Horse.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Time to make some new years gaming resolutions

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I resolve to making a net reduction to my switch backlog this year

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Time to make some new years gaming resolutions

1080p at the minimum

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
2022, the year of the switch pro

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You mean dawn of the 731st day... in tyool Covid-19.
BCE - Before Covid Era
CE - Covid Era

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The new era started on 3rd March 2017. God permits no other calendar than Post Switch (PS) (piss).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
*Post Nintendo Switch