Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You should not have to eat food you don’t like but this decision is completely based on your dislike for the grandson and the dislike is based largely in not wanting a brown grandson. Like drat a kid from a third world country’s getting a first class elite education that will set him up for life even if you’re sons wrong why are you pissed about that?

Making a lot of assumptions to not think son was hobnobbing with upper class Pakistanis my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fatty posted:

Your son seems to think he did.

A 19 year old having unprotected sex? Unthinkable!

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

A 19 year old having unprotected sex? Unthinkable!

lovely parent spending a little too much time thinking about (and commenting on) their child's sex life?

That tracks for Boomers

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Man id kill for some naan right now, with all kinds of flecks up in it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do like how the actual question is the least important part of that question

You don’t see that often

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Love the thought that "there is no way my college aged son would ever raw dog some strange in a foreign country"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It's also pretty possible that the reason everyone except OP is so sure is because... their relationship was exclusive while it lasted and he's the only possible father. There's definitely value in getting a DNA test if that's not the case, but OP seems a lot more paranoid about this than his son is for some reason.

It's also pretty blink and you'll miss it but OP's son has had a relationship with OP's grandson for years at this point, the kid has visited every summer for years before moving in, and OP just adamantly refuses to bond with him or refer to him by anything but 'the boy'.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Just tell me what's legal and I'll let James Cameron inside my rear end in a top hat.

Do you have a trusted friend and lots of lube?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for only paying for myself when my fiance and future inlaws invited me to a NYE dinner at a scale restaurant?

quote:

I f32 just got engaged to my fiance m37 Sam. We do not live together because we're waiting til marriage given he and his family are highly conservative Christians but they're really nice and loveable people.

I had plans to spend NYE with Sam but he said he was out for NYE dinner celebration with his parents then called me again inviting me to join them and I happily did.

His parents were there, <they welcomed me and ordered many dishes and desserts and drinks. We celebrated and had great time that is until it was time to pay.

I pulled my wallet out of my bag letting them know that we'll split the check between us. Sam mumbled "no you don't have to, we invited you" but I insisted. He and his parents then stared at me; I asked what was wrong and both MIL & FIL said they didn't have money on them. I was shocked I turned to Sam and he said he too forgot his wallet at home and didn't bring enough money to cover even on round of drinks. His dad then laughed nervously "aright so guess we should let the doctor pay!!" I was taken a back I said I'm sorry but no this is just so much money to spend on one dinner by myself and I didn't think I was expected to pay the entire bill. Sam said I should pay and he'd pay me back later but I said no since I know he will have to get a job to pay that much money. I said I'm sorry but this isn't the first time I've been put in this situation by him and family where I'm expected to rescue them after they somehow forgot their wallets and expectbothers to pay hundreds for their extravagant dinner. I told them I'll only pay for what I had and that's it, he and his parents were shocked. They started arguing about how I have the potential to pay right there and then but I was acting as if they were strangers not family but that doesn't mean I'm obligated to pay, how could someone go out to a fancy restuarant, order so many dishes, desserts and drinks without bringing money?. Sam begged that I just do it and call it a night but I refused. The argument got heated then I got up and walked out.

Sam called later at 2am basically yelling that I ruined NYE celebration and made his parents suffer because I refused to pay the entire bill amd instead acted selfishly and paid only for myself after they were gracious enough to invite me. I told him how unfair it was for me to pay even if I have a good salary doesn't mean I want to spend it all on fancy dinner. He didn't reply he just said he'll pray that my parents will let this go and not resent me after I basically damaged the relationship with them.

I felt awful thinking I should've covered the bill instead of leaving. AITA?

so did they spend new year's eve washing dishes or did it turn out that, whoops, i guess we did bring money after all

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Ooof. She should resolve to find a better partner.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

B-Rock452 posted:

Do you have a trusted friend and lots of lube?

It's going to be a very happy new year.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

5 years older than the doctor, no job (unwritten but I get the impression he still lives at home as well), and happy to help his parents try to scam his fiance out of the cost of a big fancy dinner.

Why the hell is she with this dude at all???

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

5 years older than the doctor, no job (unwritten but I get the impression he still lives at home as well), and happy to help his parents try to scam his fiance out of the cost of a big fancy dinner.

I mean before the story even really starts the 'my fiancee chose to spend NYE with his parents rather than with me' is a pretty huge flag indicating who is going to be in the wrong.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ShootaBoy posted:

apparently it's not the first time they've done it, either

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for only paying for myself when my fiance and future inlaws invited me to a NYE dinner at a scale restaurant?

so did they spend new year's eve washing dishes or did it turn out that, whoops, i guess we did bring money after all

So, what was their plan if she declined the invitation?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
WIBTA if I don't let my family get another dog?

quote:

My husband and I have two kids, 6 and 8. My husband grew up always having some type of animal. My father was really allergic to pet dander so we never really had animals growing up so I am quite uncomfortable around animals. When we were dating he had dogs but they died when our kids were babies still.

When our oldest was 5 he wanted a puppy for his birthday. We picked out a really cute shelter dog. I was fine with it because my husband worked from home and we had a big backyard. A year afterwards my husband had to go back to working in the office again because of a promotion. That year he surprised the kids with another puppy for Christmas. I was really upset about it but he promised the kids would be the sole caretakers like he was for his dog at that age. Yeah our kids weren't that interested in the dogs after they realized how much work it is. I was always really annoyed by the dogs and to be honest I probably wasn't the best owner.

I'm not heartless and I realized that no one was going to care for the dogs except me. I ended up really loving those dogs. A few months ago our first dog got cancer and we needed to put her down. It was really hard on me. Right before Christmas our second dog got attacked at the dog park and we had to put her down. I'm still really upset.

My husband and the kids miss having the dogs. I don't, not in a heartless way but I realize that animals are a lot of work and I am not a great owner. I know especially with my husband working in the office again that I will have to take care of any prospective new animals. I really want to wait a few years before we get another dog so I don't end up stuck with it. My husband hates that idea and is assuring me that I will only have to take care of the dog while the kids are at school and they will do everything else. I am trusting him he will be better about making the kids more responsible because I know how much he loves animals but the kids lose interest in things fast after the newness wears off.

WIBTA?

My niece and nephew are teenagers, and have had their two dogs for a few years. The newness wore off fast even as puppies because, you know, you have to train puppies, and it takes a lot of work. My niece has even told me she didn't really want puppies, she would have preferred a pair of cats or even one instead, but everyone was caught up in Puppy Fever.

I get that, I do. Pre Covid I used to hit up a reptile show every year; not one of the huge expos like in San Diego or Florida, but big. And I noticed a trend after a few visit with my mom, that every year she would find a new animal she HAD to have. A new ball python (and then we'd need a mate for future breeding projects) or a random lizard or something pretty. And she'd get it. And I'd end up taking care of it, until I finally had a mental snap and started rehoming several of them, realizing that doing three or four breeding projects was just going to be too much. For the first time in over 20 years, we have under 10 snakes. And I still take care of every single one.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grape posted:

Making a lot of assumptions to not think son was hobnobbing with upper class Pakistanis my dude.
Upper class Pakistanis often send their kids to Western private schools, usually British schools as an echo of colonialism.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always figured a hobnob was a hobgoblin penis.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Foo Diddley posted:

we invited you because we were polite. also because you are the wallet. we are being very gracious right now inviting you! this is how being polite works, yes

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Found a video of the party with the chip bag left out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4asQ1-vUugA

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

The gently caress party has food out and about not meant to be eaten? The gently caress party is this? The gently caress? I got family members with special furtniture for the party room that has built in drawers with snack bags of chips and such stuffed in em so in case the guests want something other than the like 15 loving dishes on the main table there are back ups.

People stayed? gently caress that

I like the idea that you're all sitting around chatting and an uncle is like "I could go for some twizzlers right now OH WHAT'S THIS" as they open a secret compartment under their seat. Were your family members actually the kids from Heavyweights irl?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*goes to pull a book from the bookshelf*

*it is a display case of Zagnuts*

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've never had a Zagnut in my life, what's it like?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for refusing to pay for my sons damaged car until he starts paying rent?

quote:

I 48F have an 18 year old son. He recently bought a car with his own money but hasn’t been able to drive it yet as he hasn’t yet gotten his licence.

I have occasionally borrowed his car if I had no other option and he usually says yes. He only ever complains if I take it without his permission, but I don’t see the point if he always says it’s okay anyways.

The other day he was sleeping and I didn’t want to disturb him so I borrowed his car to get groceries. While I was in the shop someone hit the car and drove off. I returned home and broke the news to my son and he was devastated. It was only a small dent and merely damaged its look.

He berated me for taking the car without his permission and I apologised but explained he always lets me take it anyways so why should I have to ask? He can’t drive it himself.

He then asked me when I’d be able to pay for repairs and I said no, I will not be paying for damage to HIS car, it wasn’t even my fault.

When he turned 18 and started college he offered to pay me rent but I refused because I’m a good parent and I don’t want to financially burden my child. But when he started to demand the repair money I snapped that he can pay me the last 6 months of rent, since we are slinging up who owes who money. I may have been an rear end in a top hat by demanding this but I don’t think it’s my responsibility to pay for his car.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to pay for my sons damaged car until he starts paying rent?

What does "no other options" mean? Does the OP have a car, and if so why would they need to borrow their kid's car. If the OP doesn't have a car but still regularly needs to use one, what were they doing before their kid got the car. Is the car even insured and if so to who? None of this story makes sense.

The actual question at hand is kind of boring, since the OP stole the car then obviously yeah they gotta pay for the repairs. If it had been with permission, it might be debatable, but it wasn't so it's not.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 1, 2022

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

les enfants Terrific! posted:

So, what was their plan if she declined the invitation?

They would have found their wallets

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

The point of that is stating that independent nations have clout to declare what they have a separate language regardless of intelligibility. Which results in silliness.
This isn't how linguists define anything though, and that's the discussion we're having!

Did you know that most dialects of PIE are not mutually intelligible?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for getting annoyed at my girlfriend for her choice of outfit?

quote:

Me (25m) and my girlfriend (23m) have been together for 3.5 years, and are great together. We barely argue and, when we do, it’s usually over something small that we quickly forgive each other over.

Yesterday I worry that I may have overstepped the line as we haven’t spoken properly since.

We are currently on our first beach holiday with my family for New Year, and it all started on the first day when we were unpacking. My family are very conservative; and when I pointed out to my girlfriend that she had only packed cheeky bikinis and we may need to buy something more modest, she stormed off and said that I shouldn’t be telling her how to dress. Whilst I completely agree, I really don’t think those bikinis are appropriately for a family holiday.

Fast forward to today, when I met her at the beach after I’d been out fishing with my dad. She was wearing a VERY cheeky bikini; talking with my mom. I think this is the one:

https://uk-m.zaful.com/sunflower-smocked-thong-bikini-set-puid_2647109.html

I didn’t mention it at the time but when we got back to our hotel room I told her how I felt and she HIT THE ROOF. We haven’t spoken since. AITA?

mods plz change my username to "cheeky bikini" tia

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

What does "no other options" mean? Does the OP have a car, and if so why would they need to borrow their kid's car. If the OP doesn't have a car but still regularly needs to use one, what were they doing before their kid got the car. Is the car even insured and if so to who? None of this story makes sense.

You get hung up on the weirdest things, like maybe the family only has one car between two parents, maybe they had to put a car in the shop, maybe he has a sibling who also drives and sometimes borrows the family car. And if they only have liability insurance and the other driver was uninsured or fled the scene then they could be stuck with the repairs.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Rubellavator posted:

You get hung up on the weirdest things, like maybe the family only has one car between two parents, maybe they had to put a car in the shop, maybe he has a sibling who also drives and sometimes borrows the family car. And if they only have liability insurance and the other driver was uninsured or fled the scene then they could be stuck with the repairs.
I mean any of those explanations would have taken a throwaway line in the OP, and context might be relevant to the conclusion.

I look at stuff like that in these posts because the other 99% of them are boring creative writing exercises, people pandering for upvotes, or both where as-written the conclusion is so obvious there wasn't a point in posting in the first place. The only fun is speculating what's behind the scenes.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 1, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for factoring resetting my husband's phone

quote:

This is my first time posting so be patient with me.

For a little bit of a back story. I (F34) have been with my husband (M48) for almost 20 years. We started dating when I was 15 and him 29. We have 3 kids together m18, f16, m13. Our relationship has turned really toxic in the last couple of years, and recently I decided to start saving for a divorce lawyer. My husband was the breadwinner until about 8 years ago when he decided to stop working and I had to get a job. I have been paying all of the household bills since then even though now my husband has a good job that pays way more than mine. I live paycheck to paycheck because my salary is barely enough to cover basic expenses for 5 people. The fact he does not help financially has been really aggravating me.

Last week I hired a divorce lawyer and told my husband I wanted a divorce. He got really mad and threw his iPhone in the bed saying he didn't want the phone anymore and would be buying a new one for himself in the morning (I pay for the phone monthly through my service provider which is all in my name). I told him to reconsider but he started shoving clothes in a duffel bag to leave. I told him I would give the phone to my youngest kid because he need one and I couldn't afford one right now. I asked my husband for his phone password so I could give it to my son but he refused. He actually told me to "figure it out".

I went ahead and factory reset the phone using iTunes on my laptop and gave it to my son. When he came home he took the phone back from my son and saw what I had done and became furious. He accused me of destroying his life because he needed his contacts and photos to work. He said I invaded his privacy by erasing everything on his phone. I tried to convince him that everything was saved in the cloud and I could restore all the contacts, apps, and photos but he would not listen to me.

Even though the situation in my house is really bad for other things I really want to know if I am the rear end in a top hat in this situation.

The math is horrifying.

First kid at 16 with a 30 year old.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for getting annoyed at my girlfriend for her choice of outfit?

mods plz change my username to "cheeky bikini" tia

I wonder if this is one of those times the child of conservative parents is shittier than they are. Did the parents seem upset? It's not like they didn't notice. If they didn't say anything why is the OP?

Mom and Dad could full well be like "well yes it's immodest but we're at the beach and it is what it is"

Not that the parents mores should dictate his judgements of his girlfriends clothes mind you. Really he needs someone to slap him upside the head and remind him people can wear what they want.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I bet the divorce court is going to love the dead beat child predator

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Uncle Enzo posted:

I wonder if this is one of those times the child of conservative parents is shittier than they are. Did the parents seem upset? It's not like they didn't notice. If they didn't say anything why is the OP?

Mom and Dad could full well be like "well yes it's immodest but we're at the beach and it is what it is"

Not that the parents mores should dictate his judgements of his girlfriends clothes mind you. Really he needs someone to slap him upside the head and remind him people can wear what they want.

seems like mom was talking to her normally, so yeah that "my parents are really conservative" doesn't ring true

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for factoring resetting my husband's phone

The math is horrifying.

First kid at 16 with a 30 year old.

You don't even have to do the math, she straight up says they were dating at 15 and 29. Jesus christ.

Hexaoct
May 1, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

Serious post, colorectal cancer is on the rise in young people (like crazy on the rise) so you should probably get one shoved up there much earlier.

Cosigned by someone currently going through chemo for that at 34.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kind of like if a Butterfinger had toasted coconut in it and no chocolate coating

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You lost me at coconut.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

Serious post, colorectal cancer is on the rise in young people (like crazy on the rise) so you should probably get one shoved up there much earlier.

I have IBS so I've gotten 3 colonscopies since my early 20s, and the process of me getting one is "hey doc, it's been X years, can you look?" and they say "IBS? Sure, make an appt" with no hassle or concern. Once you've been tagged with IBS they'll shove a camera up there every few years without hesitation even if they never see the problem again.

Meanwhile my friend spent several years trying to convince his doctors to give him a colonoscopy and they kept telling him no because he was young and "healthy" despite having chronic pain issues in his back and sides where the intestines/stomach sit.

Like, if you can, ask your GP tomorrow and find out if you can get one, and if they say no then find one who will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

They're good, but the clarity you get after a Zagnut is amazing