Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

enki42 posted:

You act like Canada has been in a consistent state of lockdown. My summer was basically not impacted (and I take more precautions than what's officially recommended).

I mean, I agree with you but stuff hasn't been normal in so long

My friend group which used to meet every week or two for drinks and a few times a summer for camping trips has basically hung out twice in two years. I haven't seen my mum or family for two years. There is also a vague feeling of dread all the time.

Just because we haven't been in official 'lockdown' doesn't mean people have been carrying on as normal

edit: I should have refreshed

I think we are all in agreement with each other, poo poo loving sucks and everyone is tired

Alctel fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Personally I've been isolating as much as is reasonable possible; working from home, ordering groceries online when feasible (these apps aren't perfect so...), avoiding attending classes in person except for when there isn't much of a choice.

A couple of exceptions but like 96.75% of my time is spend staying put.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Raenir Salazar posted:

Personally I've been isolating as much as is reasonable possible; working from home, ordering groceries online when feasible (these apps aren't perfect so...), avoiding attending classes in person except for when there isn't much of a choice.

A couple of exceptions but like 96.75% of my time is spend staying put.

So have I... there were a few cool months between getting vaccinated and Omicron arriving to wreck our poo poo, I went to restaurants like once or twice a month.

I want this poo poo to be done, and I don't see how we reach that place from here without the government telling everyone they need to be doing what most of us here have been doing this whole time.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
There is no normal anymore.

Its dead, grieve for it like you would a loved one and get over it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

apatheticman posted:

so I'm never going to be able to see my friends or family again? That's a bit bleak

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

I want this poo poo to be done, and I don't see how we reach that place from here without the government telling everyone they need to be doing what most of us here have been doing this whole time.

How does this action result in this poo poo being done? What about the next variant, and the one after that?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

It's funny to me that at least in BC they're openly banking on this being a burn out phase leading to it just being an endemic virus with no strong evidence. Just a hunch and a desire to do nothing even with over a month to prepare. Just rolling the bones.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Count Roland posted:

How does this action result in this poo poo being done? What about the next variant, and the one after that?

1) Therapeutics are coming, mass production starts in January

2) Other variants will have to outcompete Omicron and that's unlikely from an evolutionary science perspective.

There's good reason to believe this wave is COVID: Endgame.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Alctel posted:

so I'm never going to be able to see my friends or family again? That's a bit bleak

No, you can see your friends and family but it will always be under the guise of some sort of cost benefit analysis that we'll all have to do every time we go out.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Ontario is also not reporting cases in schools anymore. Just going full Florida for Omicron.

https://twitter.com/CBCToronto/status/1477051956988461065

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tomorrow Doug is going to say they're still reporting COVID cases in schools and blame the federal Liberals for the confusion.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
And Lecce is still defending the plan to open schools on Wednesday, so expect them to announce that schools will remain closed on Tuesday.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just cartoonishly evil.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

apatheticman posted:

I've been wondering for a while what people are looking for when they want "back to normal". If covid magically disappeared tomorrow we'd still be dealing with the collective trauma from the pandemic for the rest of our lives.

Like I can think of many possible answers, but we all say "back to normal" as if that was some consistent, reachable goal, and I just don't see it.

edit: The near-total lockdown in March/April 2020 completely changed how I view a lot of our society, both positive and negative. I'm never going back to my prior outlook.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I would like to be able to visit friends or go to a bar and chat with my neighbours without having to consider the moral calculus of discretionary outings during a global pandemic.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

pokeyman posted:

edit: The near-total lockdown in March/April 2020 completely changed how I view a lot of our society, both positive and negative. I'm never going back to my prior outlook.

I'm genuinely curious about what you mean by this. How did it change your perspective on society?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

hillaryous clinton posted:

I'm genuinely curious about what you mean by this. How did it change your perspective on society?

Commuting to the office, offices, jobs just supporting office work are stupid as gently caress and the people pushing to get it back are even stupider and I'll avoid it for the rest of my life

e; happy new year

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I want to be able to go outside at a time of my choosing, to a place of my choosing, without fearing for my life and the lives of those I love. That’s the normalcy I want back.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

When trying to bring normalcy back to Canada whilst at the same time trying to reduce COVID-19 cases we musn't let perfect be the enemy of good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wizard Master posted:

When trying to bring normalcy back to Canada whilst at the same time trying to reduce COVID-19 cases we musn't let perfect be the enemy of good.

What is this gimmick anyway?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Manitoba changed their self-isolation requirements at end of day today without any big notification. Looks like we're following the US' lead:

quote:

The changes include:

requiring all people who have tested positive for COVID-19 to isolate including those who completed a rapid antigen test;
changing isolation requirements to five days from 10 days since the date of the test for fully-vaccinated people who are not showing symptoms;
changing isolation requirements to five days from 10 days since the date symptoms started appearing or the date of the test, whichever is later, for fully-vaccinated people as long as their symptoms are improving and they do not have a fever;
requiring individuals who have only isolated for five days due to the changes above to wear medical-grade mask while in a public setting for the five days immediately following their self-isolation; and
requiring isolation for people who have tested positive who are not fully vaccinated for 10 days after the date of their test as long as their symptoms are improving and they do not have a fever.

The public health orders will come into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 1, 2022.
https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=53103&posted=2021-12-31

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

infernal machines posted:

What is this gimmick anyway?
I assume that poster is alluding to this with regards to the Quebec curfew:
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1476049896725749769

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

I assume that poster is alluding to this with regards to the Quebec curfew:
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1476049896725749769

Yeah, just the part where they post the same tepid take in four COVID threads with minor variations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
https://twitter.com/vitacoreinc/status/1477125200164507652?t=XGBJKYzoay8muYwjbotEVw&s=19

Very normal situation where private industry has to step in to do the PHO's job. Very normal and cool.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

hillaryous clinton posted:

Some combination of "look what we can do if we decide it's important" and "we are so hosed".

1. We shut down way further than I thought we would and gave out way more money in supports than I expected. (This says way more about my low expectations and is not praise for the generally pathetic response from our governments.)
2. More people than I expected will follow sensible guidelines and pitch in without enforcement/penalties. I saw this with mask wearing and social distancing early, then vaccination and volunteer-staffed testing clinics later (the last two may be somewhat specific to Nova Scotia).
3. The incompetent (at best) or mendacious (more likely) early response from public health officials ("masks hurt you") was so much stupider than my Twitter timeline ("wear a loving mask"). Our ability to squander a couple months' warning made me feel very isolated from the people supposedly leading me. And something so arbitrary as one's Twitter followers making a meaningful difference in pandemic preparedness doesn't feel great.
4. March 2020 was an unplanned experiment for seeing what happens to carbon emissions when we turn off our economy as far as we dare, and the effect was gently caress all. (This was probably unsurprising to anyone paying attention.)

I guess sometimes I'm a slow learner or need to be hit over the head with some obvious truths.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Another Bill posted:

1) Therapeutics are coming, mass production starts in January

2) Other variants will have to outcompete Omicron and that's unlikely from an evolutionary science perspective.

There's good reason to believe this wave is COVID: Endgame.

This is absolutely preposterous.

Omicron was not expected or planned for. Covid has shown it mutates readily. The common cold is partly caused by corona viruses that have continually adapted over the past hundred years.

To assume we've seen the worst of covid is wishful thinking and nothing more. And this is exactly what I was initially talking about. Governments must plan for worst case scenarios, not ones where the problem just goes away.

PS: forums poster Another Bill, please don't take this personally, I know this post is a bit intense but I'm disagreeing with the idea, not yourself.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

pokeyman posted:

Some combination of "look what we can do if we decide it's important" and "we are so hosed".

1. We shut down way further than I thought we would and gave out way more money in supports than I expected. (This says way more about my low expectations and is not praise for the generally pathetic response from our governments.)
2. More people than I expected will follow sensible guidelines and pitch in without enforcement/penalties. I saw this with mask wearing and social distancing early, then vaccination and volunteer-staffed testing clinics later (the last two may be somewhat specific to Nova Scotia).
3. The incompetent (at best) or mendacious (more likely) early response from public health officials ("masks hurt you") was so much stupider than my Twitter timeline ("wear a loving mask"). Our ability to squander a couple months' warning made me feel very isolated from the people supposedly leading me. And something so arbitrary as one's Twitter followers making a meaningful difference in pandemic preparedness doesn't feel great.
4. March 2020 was an unplanned experiment for seeing what happens to carbon emissions when we turn off our economy as far as we dare, and the effect was gently caress all. (This was probably unsurprising to anyone paying attention.)

I guess sometimes I'm a slow learner or need to be hit over the head with some obvious truths.

Watching the different styles of governance on this planet over my lifetime, I often found myself impressed if not amazed by China and the asian communist-ish bloc’s ability to mobilize and actually direct energy to the public good. I understood that this involved restrictions I would object to (though on that front my assessment of both that system and ours has radically altered as new examples present themselves) but it was quite incredible what they could manage.

I also thought that, while our system has a lot of problems, it would also have its methods of dealing with, oh, let’s say, a Pandemic. It would cost more money than it needed to but we would also be able to deal with a crisis like that.

Now, I see clearly. We have simply been getting lucky for decades. We were never ready to deal with any widespread crisis. Even a local crisis, we are barely able to prepare for, let alone properly respond. Our entire premise of government is an illusion, all that matters is keeping cash flowing to capital holders and not altering that relationship at all, if at all possible.

I don’t see how this event doesn’t make one lose faith in the idea that representative democracy as we construct it is a sham. We have no real capacity to organize, respond or even care for our people direction and organization are most needed. Our public service has no method, plan, or capacity to keep things functioning without just letting business go on as usual as much as possible, even knowing this will exacerbate the crisis. Even then, when we have months of time to prepare for the next pivot, which every rational assessment would tell us to expect, we don’t increase testing capacity, we don’t get contact tracing in place, we don’t get supplies mobilized for localized lockdowns, we don’t on board more people for the coming crunch in medical care. We simply close our eyes and hope the market will deal with it. Our government might as well almost not be there; all it does is obfuscate decisions taken by our real masters, corporate and rent-seeker profits.

I don’t know what a good system of government would be, and I don’t say we should just jump and become part of China or exactly like them, but whatever criticisms we have of them (real or made up for foreign policy purposes), the only rational assessment is we are clearly doing something wrong that they are getting right.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 1, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PT6A posted:

You think I'm picking fights over things people haven't said, and you're saying I'm ignoring the mental health effects of the giant uncontrolled pandemic going on? Are you on crack?

In response to being asked to stop reacting unpleasantly to things that others didn't actually say, you accused me of something untethered to anything I said and then suggesed that I was the one on crack.

Have a better year in 2022 dude.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Maneck posted:

In response to being asked to stop reacting unpleasantly to things that others didn't actually say, you accused me of something untethered to anything I said and then suggesed that I was the one on crack.

Have a better year in 2022 dude.

You can work on your literacy this year, jackass.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Count Roland posted:

Omicron was not expected or planned for. Covid has shown it mutates readily.

lol

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Watching the different styles of governance on this planet over my lifetime, I often found myself impressed if not amazed by China and the asian communist-ish bloc’s ability to mobilize and actually direct energy to the public good. I understood that this involved restrictions I would object to (though on that front my assessment of both that system and ours has radically altered as new examples present themselves) but it was quite incredible what they could manage.

I also thought that, while our system has a lot of problems, it would also have its methods of dealing with, oh, let’s say, a Pandemic. It would cost more money than it needed to but we would also be able to deal with a crisis like that.

Now, I see clearly. We have simply been getting lucky for decades. We were never ready to deal with any widespread crisis. Even a local crisis, we are barely able to prepare for, let alone properly respond. Our entire premise of government is an illusion, all that matters is keeping cash flowing to capital holders and not altering that relationship at all, if at all possible.

I don’t see how this event doesn’t make one lose faith in the idea that representative democracy as we construct it is a sham. We have no real capacity to organize, respond or even care for our people direction and organization are most needed. Our public service has no method, plan, or capacity to keep things functioning without just letting business go on as usual as much as possible, even knowing this will exacerbate the crisis. Even then, when we have months of time to prepare for the next pivot, which every rational assessment would tell us to expect, we don’t increase testing capacity, we don’t get contact tracing in place, we don’t get supplies mobilized for localized lockdowns, we don’t on board more people for the coming crunch in medical care. We simply close our eyes and hope the market will deal with it. Our government might as well almost not be there; all it does is obfuscate decisions taken by our real masters, corporate and rent-seeker profits.

I don’t know what a good system of government would be, and I don’t say we should just jump and become part of China or exactly like them, but whatever criticisms we have of them (real or made up for foreign policy purposes), the only rational assessment is we are clearly doing something wrong that they are getting right.

China is communist in name only. It’s a traditional centralized authoritarian power. They function similarly to Prussia and differ only in that they don’t have a monarchy. It’s basically state capitalism.

What you’re asking for isn’t the Chinese communist system, you just want a strong central government. Which all western societies used to have until the 1980s when parliaments and other authorities became weakened in favour of capital holders. The fact is our governments are weak and ineffectual now. The private sector controls the media and public opinion. They regularly manipulate what we see and think and anything that hurts their class interests results in propaganda that weakens a government until a capital friendly one takes their place.

We are rapidly progressing towards an anarcho-capitalist system. In China they are using a model where there’s various state owned enterprises driving a lot of the major capital growth and no system for capital to buy legislation.

I don’t want the Chinese system because I’m suspicious of stuff like their social credit system and the amount of censorship and other forms of control they engage in. I’m hopeful that their rise will force western countries to get off their asses and compete rather than succumb to corporate pressure to do what China says so they can get rich off the Chinese markets.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, the Chinese government isn’t terribly worried about “the public good” so much as loss of productivity and possible civil unrest.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Count Roland posted:

This is absolutely preposterous.

Omicron was not expected or planned for. Covid has shown it mutates readily. The common cold is partly caused by corona viruses that have continually adapted over the past hundred years.

To assume we've seen the worst of covid is wishful thinking and nothing more. And this is exactly what I was initially talking about. Governments must plan for worst case scenarios, not ones where the problem just goes away.

PS: forums poster Another Bill, please don't take this personally, I know this post is a bit intense but I'm disagreeing with the idea, not yourself.

Likewise friend, try and find some hope in your life. Looking at the future without hope is a dark place to be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think there's hope whether this is the worst of COVID or not, but I would feel significantly better about the state of things if we saw examples of our governments reacting in a sane way to the situation.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, the Chinese government isn’t terribly worried about “the public good” so much as loss of productivity and possible civil unrest.

Mhm. Because those perfidious asians can’t value human life more than we do.

Predictable

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Predictable

Lol

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Predictable

I don’t think that he meant to make that a racist comment. Just that the CPC doesn’t do things out of the goodness of their hearts but rather whatever Machiavellian design let’s them maintain their grip on power.

Starting with Deng Xiao Ping they made a deal with their people. As long as the money and economic growth keeps flowing all the liberals will keep their mouths shut and unrest will be minimal. It’s the same sort of arrangement as Imperial Russia under the Witte system or Mexico under Porfirio Diaz.

If their economy ever ends up in an asset price bubble the way Japan’s did and then crashes it’ll be some very interesting times. Evergrande was supposed to be the start of that crisis but it looks like they found a way to avert it.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

terrorist ambulance posted:

Being stuck in when me, or anyone I'm responsible for, has coughs or sniffles, sucks. Not being able to have them play sports or go swimming or do things sucks. That situation lasting 2 years loving sucks.

When I consider that it's basically going to be a permanent state of affairs because people can't deal with mild impositions on their conduct it makes me want the army to use force to direct a mass vaccination campaign.

It's the loving worst. I feel like I'm living in a Groundhog Day situation but every day ends with me wondering how Dogtooth my kids will be because of what I and the world can't offer them right now.

Gros Tarla posted:

Thanks for this. This is insanely hard. I see people shout all the time about how its our choice we had kids, how you should take care of em and stop hoping someone else will.

gently caress off. Even before daycares existed, there was always a help network for parents. Grandparents, brothers and sisters, fellow parent friends, neighbors.

We're left to our absolute own devices here, and it sucks hard. I had my child February 2020. We had no help, no break until last summer. With the curfew coming up again, I am worried for my relationship and my child development.

I feel this. One kid right before COVID, one kid right in the middle. We look at them with these tired eyes and just have to shrug. What else can we do for you? What else is wise? What risks should I take with your health? Are the reasons good enough? Can our marriage survive this? Can your little baby brain? All these questions keep me up at night and I dream about putting a brick through the window of Jason Kenney's constituency office in Minecraft.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

StoicRomance posted:

It's the loving worst. I feel like I'm living in a Groundhog Day situation but every day ends with me wondering how Dogtooth my kids will be because of what I and the world can't offer them right now.

I feel this. One kid right before COVID, one kid right in the middle. We look at them with these tired eyes and just have to shrug. What else can we do for you? What else is wise? What risks should I take with your health? Are the reasons good enough? Can our marriage survive this? Can your little baby brain? All these questions keep me up at night and I dream about putting a brick through the window of Jason Kenney's constituency office in Minecraft.

Can I ask a possibly stupid question and obviously you don't have to answer: was the middle-of-covid kid intentional and did you consider holding off? It sounds like, in retrospect, delaying might've been better for y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I don’t think that he meant to make that a racist comment. Just that the CPC doesn’t do things out of the goodness of their hearts but rather whatever Machiavellian design let’s them maintain their grip on power.

Starting with Deng Xiao Ping they made a deal with their people. As long as the money and economic growth keeps flowing all the liberals will keep their mouths shut and unrest will be minimal. It’s the same sort of arrangement as Imperial Russia under the Witte system or Mexico under Porfirio Diaz.

If their economy ever ends up in an asset price bubble the way Japan’s did and then crashes it’ll be some very interesting times. Evergrande was supposed to be the start of that crisis but it looks like they found a way to avert it.

Yeah, whatever you loving say. Predictable. Delusional cope.

Our government lets tens of thousands of us die or get irreperable damage from a pandemic but rest assured, the governments that actually moved to control it were didnt really care.

Whatever. We deserve what’s happening to us. gently caress Canada.