Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Here's everything star wars legion I've painted over the past 3 weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nice!

And yeah naked b2s are usually bad value but in skirmish they're kinda interesting. I personally hate them since I like rebel heroes that reliably do like 1-2 hits with pierce and b2s are basically immune to that.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Can you run B2s as your only CoreCorps in skirmish successfully? I opted out of playing Separatists because it was looking like B1 (which I don't care for) swarm was the only viable option but my friends only want to play Skirmish anyway.

As an aside, one of the things I don't like about Legion is how many of each faction's most boring units have to be taken.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 1, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

B2s are very very good but they generally either like to have orders or a T-series which makes them quite expensive. You also lose out on some order chaining if that has implications for the rest of your list, and they're obviously quite a bit more expensive than b1s

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I’ve only played skirmish for what feels like an eternity, and I’m itching to get back to full-size games.

I’ve also never had a chance to break out my droids (only had Dooku as a command option, and just never did it as he’s half the drat list :laffo: ), so I’ve got a list built that’s nothing but mechanical bodies marching forward towards their deaths. Something like 50+ droids? A T-series, a super tactical droid, then as many B1’s, B2’s, commandos, and droidekas as I can pack in.

Will it die horribly? Oh god yes.

Will it also look imposing as gently caress from across the table before the bodies start falling down? Also yes :getin:

Why yes I played imperial guard in 40k at one point, why do you ask :v:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Icon Of Sin posted:

So I’ve only played skirmish for what feels like an eternity, and I’m itching to get back to full-size games.

I’ve also never had a chance to break out my droids (only had Dooku as a command option, and just never did it as he’s half the drat list :laffo: ), so I’ve got a list built that’s nothing but mechanical bodies marching forward towards their deaths. Something like 50+ droids? A T-series, a super tactical droid, then as many B1’s, B2’s, commandos, and droidekas as I can pack in.

Will it die horribly? Oh god yes.

Will it also look imposing as gently caress from across the table before the bodies start falling down? Also yes :getin:

Why yes I played imperial guard in 40k at one point, why do you ask :v:

I just had a refresher game today where my buddy ran like 5 or 6 B1 units with an E5, two AAT tanks and Kalani. It was a mad dash to try and slap the armor off the table before I lost too many bodies.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Verisimilidude posted:

Beautiful work. Hope my Imperial cannon fodder looks half as good when they're done.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Not sure why that rebel prisoner is still armed though, that's a heck of a flex.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm pretty proud of these Mandalorians, though I'm not proud of the excessive greenstuff I had to use to get the flight stands in correctly

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Flight stands are always such a pain in the rear end, regardless of game

Nice mandos though

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I'm pretty proud of these Mandalorians, though I'm not proud of the excessive greenstuff I had to use to get the flight stands in correctly

What dark magic did you do for Sabine’s hair? I decided I wasn’t even going to bother with it and just gave her the helmet instead :stwoon:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

What dark magic did you do for Sabine’s hair? I decided I wasn’t even going to bother with it and just gave her the helmet instead :stwoon:

Thanks, the hair was just purple base coat with cold white drybrushed on top. I remember when I was first watching the show a few months back I saw the hair and immediately thought "drybrush"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nice!

I did my Sabine like this:

And another mandalorian:

They were fun to paint. The scheme for Sabine felt about right, given the crazy colors Sabine liked to use in the show :v: I almost want just the model with the rifle so I can do it up as Boba Fett, since I don’t really like the pose he came with initially.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So my GF has been dying to get into a tabletop game and despite having a ton of X-Wing and Infinity minis collecting dust on my shelf I got us both starter armies of Legion so she could enjoy the process of building and painting her own army.

We have the following.

3x Clone Wars Starter sets (I ordered one but through a strange confluence of missing packages and replacements wound up with three for the price of one on Amazon's dime)

1x B2 Battle Droids

1x Battle Droid Upgrade

1x BX Battle Droids

1x Arc Trippers

1x Clone Trooper Upgrade

1x Phase 2 Clones

We've been spending one to two days a week assembling and will be moving on to painting this weekend. Hopefully we'll be playing our first Skirmish game next week.

My questions are

1. I've been reading the rules and can't quite figure out the difference between orders given by a command card and simply activating the unit. Do orders from cards go first?

2. Do you have any suggestions for videos I can show her that go over the basic rules in a simple and concise way. (She's ESL so simpler the better.)

3. Do you have any suggestions for Skirmish lists for the models we have. (She chose Clones which is probably good because if she had to build dozens of B1s she likely would have gotten fed up with the hobby pretty quickly.)

I'll be sure to post photos once we get stuff painted.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Orders and activations are a little confusing in Clone Wars since both factions interact with them in unique ways (fire support, coordinate, AI.) In general, the idea is that during the activation phase you take turns activating units. The type of unit you can activate is limited by pulling a random token from a bag and assigning it to a matching unit that hasn't yet activated, placing the face down token by the unit to show that it's done. During the command phase, you also get to issue orders to units, primarily by using command cards. A unit issued an order takes a matching token and puts it face up by the unit. When its your turn to activate, you can- instead of pulling a random token- activate any unit that has been issued an order (again, flipping the token once done.) Every unit will always activate every turn (excepting special rules or getting wiped out), and issuing orders only refers to giving out tokens during the command phase, not randomly pulling from a bag.

(Mentioned exceptions: fire support requires a face up token from an order to use, and causes the unit to skip its turn; coordinate lets you issue additional orders and also in practice means droids will have orders on most of their troops; AI is a penalty for not having a token from an order.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

code:

498/500 (5 activations)
Commanders:
 - Obi-Wan Kenobi (170): Force Push (10), Force Guidance (5), Aggressive Tactics (15), Tenacity (4) = 204
Corps:
 - Phase II Clone Troopers (62): Z-6 Trooper (27) = 89
 - 2x Phase I Clone Troopers (52): Z-6 Trooper (23) = 150
Support:
 - BARC Speeder = 55

Commands: • Ambush, • Hello There!, •• Push, •• Knowledge and Defense, ••• Assault, ••• General Kenobi, •••• Standing Orders
code:

499/800 (6 activations)
Commanders:
 - General Grievous (155): Aggressive Tactics (15), Esteemed Leader (5), Endurance (6), DT-57 "Annihilator" (8) = 189
Corps:
 - Super Battle Droids (45): B2-ACM Trooper (24), Super Battle Droid (13) = 82
 - 3x Battle Droids (38): E-5C Trooper (16) = 162
 - Battle Droids (38): E-60R Trooper (18), HQ Uplink (10) = 66

Commands: • Ambush, • Trained In Your Jedi Arts, •• Push, •• Supreme Commander, ••• Assault, ••• Crush Them!, •••• Standing Orders

This looks pretty basic for two matched skirmish lists. I'm personally not a huge fan of saber users for new players since they're pieces that either get murdered and you lost half your army or you play them correctly and they slaughter everything; but they're what you've got and also lightsaber go vroom. Droidekas with Linked Targeting Array is a pretty straight swap for the B2s if so inclined. Getting 3x cores is actually pretty nice since 6x B1 is pretty common in CIS lists and 3x Barcs isnt unheard of.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
That's super helpful thank you. That's a much better explanation on orders than I've seen anywhere else. I'll give this two lists a shot since we have all that assembled already save the heroes.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

This is the stupidest list I've made but god damnit I'm going to try.

only 8 activations

-Darth Vader
-Iden Versio (treated as non commander)
-shoretrooper
-Stormtrooper x2
-DF-90 mortar
-Imperial special forces
-SF inferno squad

Rolling with a starting command card of Darkness Descends.

Basically Just mass forming vader, Iden, SF unit and Inferno squad with infiltrate, while the stormtroopers/shore and mortar troop do their thing.

Is it going to fail in epic fashion? yes. But I can only hope that for maybe 1-2 rounds those who I play against poo poo their pants if I can capitalize on objectives

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nice and hot piss posted:

This is the stupidest list I've made but god damnit I'm going to try.

only 8 activations

-Darth Vader
-Iden Versio (treated as non commander)
-shoretrooper
-Stormtrooper x2
-DF-90 mortar
-Imperial special forces
-SF inferno squad

Rolling with a starting command card of Darkness Descends.

Basically Just mass forming vader, Iden, SF unit and Inferno squad with infiltrate, while the stormtroopers/shore and mortar troop do their thing.

Is it going to fail in epic fashion? yes. But I can only hope that for maybe 1-2 rounds those who I play against poo poo their pants if I can capitalize on objectives

gently caress an objective, there’s a Vader drop and infiltrating Iden/Inferno Squadron to deal with.

I mean, you’ll probably still fail…but it’ll be in such a way that there were no winners in that game (only terrified survivors).

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Looks great mate. What's your recipe for the Stormtroopers and the ATST?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Wooo baby that red on the guards!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just finished off my Yoda!

Didn’t have a separate green for his saber, so that’ll have to wait. But otherwise done/satisfied!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Somebody tell me that I don't need 4 units of fleet troopers even if I have paint schemes for them

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Somebody tell me that I don't need 4 units of fleet troopers even if I have paint schemes for them

You don't need them but they'd be rad.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

How do people feel about the new wookiee box? I like melee wookiees to just run in and rip things up so I’m excited about the shield. Anyone have any good luck with the carbine variant?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The sculpts are pretty cool but a huge pain to assemble. Honestly when ive run wookiees I've mostly just stuck with melee bowcasters but I know some people do like carbines with bowcasters, offensive push, and targeting scopes, especially with a tactician bus or other aim support

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Just put together a shield Wookiee. Not enjoyable

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

On the bright side I really enjoyed painting them, especially if you fudge the metal parts a little

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
I've gotten a bit burned out on 40k as of late.
So, last year I bought a starter set of Legion.
Here are some not so great photos of my first units painted.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Nice, I especially like Cassian there, and the Wookiee fur turned out well

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Nice, I especially like Cassian there, and the Wookiee fur turned out well

Thank you.
The wookies were painted with GW contrast paints.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Just getting into this. Ordered the Clone Wars core set yesterday. I've dabbled in pretty much all the miniature wargames before (Warhammer/40K, Blood Bowl, Warmachine, etc) and we even had Imperial Assault for a while, but struggled to motivate myself with the hobby side of it when my wife and friends weren't interested and I didn't want to leave the house to play with randos. But now my son is old enough to play with me and he's a bigger Star Wars geek than I am so I've got my own competition in-house. :dance: We watched some Youtubes about this last night and he was excited about it so we ordered it. Can't wait!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

That’s great to hear. My 9 year old daughter is obsessed with Boba Fett and Star Wars in general so she is my main competition. My friends will play occasionally but only with my armies, none have their own. It’s been really fun to put together figures and paint with her.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The Shadow Collective stuff along with the handful of new supplemental physical products have all been listed on Asmodee's store page for a couple days, though there's still not a lot of concrete info on the actual cards and stat lines.

https://shop.asmodee.com/star-wars-legion-5-shadow-collective-mercenary-swl90en

Seems as though a gimmick of theirs is they kind of benefit from non-directly issued orders and have a couple mechanisms to gain/retain green tokens to compensate for that lack on control. Overall I'm still a little unclear on how the whole thing works, but as best I can tell is that it's not a full fledged faction but rather a battleforce that has to be run more or less as "The Shadow Collective," and then the various units contained within also have standard miniature wargame style mercenary rules where they'll work for certain other factions.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The Shadow Collective stuff along with the handful of new supplemental physical products have all been listed on Asmodee's store page for a couple days, though there's still not a lot of concrete info on the actual cards and stat lines.

https://shop.asmodee.com/star-wars-legion-5-shadow-collective-mercenary-swl90en

Seems as though a gimmick of theirs is they kind of benefit from non-directly issued orders and have a couple mechanisms to gain/retain green tokens to compensate for that lack on control. Overall I'm still a little unclear on how the whole thing works, but as best I can tell is that it's not a full fledged faction but rather a battleforce that has to be run more or less as "The Shadow Collective," and then the various units contained within also have standard miniature wargame style mercenary rules where they'll work for certain other factions.

I think you're mostly right, but there's also this dude:

https://shop.asmodee.com/star-wars-legion-5-gar-saxon-swl93en

so I don't know if there's more of a faction there or if battleforces give you some flexibility in slots to pick different commanders or whatever.

edit: If the contents of this starter box are the same as the contents of the three individual unit boxes, picking up a couple copies of the starter seems to be the definite way to go, especially if you can find it at a discount

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 7, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

AMG has been incredibly bad at communicating and even if you obsessively follow it there's a lot of info that's still unclear. That said it seems to be:
-New "mercenary" units that can be taken in multiple factions (ie Black Sun is CIS/Empire, Pykes are everyone) but will have some restrictions on both listbuilding and gameplay. Some existing units (the 3 bounty hunters and apparently the AA5?) are being updated to be mercenaries as well. Mercs are not going to be a unified faction, however
-A new listbuilding mechanic "battle forces" meant to represent specific battles- mentioned as forthcoming are Trade Federation on Naboo, 501st on Umbara, Rebels and Imperials on Hoth. They will have limits on what units you can take, new command cards, and different list building limits. They're going to be print and play at first but will probably be physical product in the future- unclear if they will have models or just cards
-Combining these two is the "Shadow Collective" battle force representing Maul and his Mandalorian army, which isn't affiliated with any faction but can take certain mercenaries as well as Maul, Mandalorian supercommandos, and apparently Gar Saxon; none of which are available to other lists

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I wonder how many years we'll have to live with COVID until "because COVID" isn't a valid excuse anymore. Delays, poor communication, confusion, manufacturing issues, shipping woes, inflation, etc. I get it, but we're on year three now of this poo poo, people. If any business has just been hanging onto some old way of doing things hoping that eventually 'things will go back to normal', they need to loving let that poo poo go. This IS the 'new normal'; there is no "after...".

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 7, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm sure Asmodee unexpectedly switching production to a much smaller company and summarily firing most of the people working on it didnt help much either

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgswl76.html

In case anyone doesn’t have him yet Miniature Market has Maul on sale for 9 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Finished up Bossk. Can't wait for him to get shot off the table before he makes his points back.
Also, I have come to the conclusion that I suck at taking pictures of my minis.